Tragedy after the Uconn game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tragedy after the Uconn game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's kids drinking and acting stupid. We all did incredibly dumb drunken stuff as kids and many of us are lucky we weren't killed doing them. No matter what you call it, it is an absolutely unbearable tragedy of the highest order. I'm going to chalk your comments up to being drunk as you're usually a wonderful poster.

Amen to that. There are a half dozen times when I was in HS and college that I should have been killed due to my own stupidity. What happened Thursday was foolish; but that does not make it less tragic.

Reaction Score
OK - I'm gonna be that guy.

It sucks that someone died but trying to cross 8 lanes of freeway after attending a basketball game where there were probably drinks involved (why else would you try to cross 8 lanes of freeway in the dark - and I've been known to drink but I tend not to try to run across freeways when I do) is just Darwinism at work.

It's not a tragedy, it's stupidity.
Not the wisest of choices, I think everyone here understands that. But it is a tragedy. Perspective.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's kids drinking and acting stupid. We all did incredibly dumb drunken stuff as kids and many of us are lucky we weren't killed doing them. No matter what you call it, it is an absolutely unbearable tragedy of the highest order. I'm going to chalk your comments up to being drunk as you're usually a wonderful poster.
I wasn't suggesting that it's not a horrible thing to happen. I just reserve tragic situations for things that are either bigger events like a plane crash or aren't self inflicted like a truck crashing into a car killing 4/5s of a family. It obviously sucks for his family and friends and the driver and I'm not suggesting anything like he deserved it. I'm sure I've put myself into equally dangerous positions under similar circumstances. For me, and maybe I'm just a cold hearted bastard, it doesn't rise to the level of a tragic event. Horrible and unfortunate for sure.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
jleves said:
I wasn't suggesting that it's not a horrible thing to happen. I just reserve tragic situations for things that are either bigger events like a plane crash or aren't self inflicted like a truck crashing into a car killing 4/5s of a family. It obviously sucks for his family and friends and the driver and I'm not suggesting anything like he deserved it. I'm sure I've put myself into equally dangerous positions under similar circumstances. For me, and maybe I'm just a cold hearted bastard, it doesn't rise to the level of a tragic event. Horrible and unfortunate for sure.
It's a tragedy for his loved ones. That's for sure. Really anytime a young person unexpectedly loses his life , I think the term tragedy is appropriate .
My little brother died of a drug overdose at 25.
Self inflicted? Sure
Poor choice? Yup
Idiotic? I'll buy that

Tragic? Absofrickinlutely. It will always be, your definition of tragedy notwithstanding. I will choose to view it that way.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this kid.

Reaction Score
And just like that it's over, there is nothing you can do. There is no good time during the year for this to happen but to have this occur now is just going to add to the family's sorrow. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you have kids?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Do you have kids?
No I don't and I was thinking about that reading the comments. I'm obviously in the minority if not the singularity on this one. Maybe I would feel differently if I did have kids, but there are just certain words I feel get overused and cheapen them. Tragedy would be one, Hero would be another.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
No words to describe that. My deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The word 'hero' is definitely overused.

But it would seem that a young man losing his life in the shadow of Christmas is the definition of a tragic event and probably the wrong place to draw a pedantic line in the sand.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Do you have kids?

Were you ever a kid?
Most of us know that "there but for the grace of God go I"
In addition to the death of a loved one, a shadow over Christmas to come. That is tragic. Don't like to pile on Jieves, but this is not like you.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Were you ever a kid?
Most of us know that "there but for the grace of God go I"
In addition to the death of a loved one, a shadow over Christmas to come. That is tragic. Don't like to pile on Jieves, but this is not like you.
As Fishy pointed out, it's a pedantic line in the sand over the use of a word I disagree with in this case - not that I don't have sympathy for the situation.

Reaction Score
jleves said:
As Fishy pointed out, it's a pedantic line in the sand over the use of a word I disagree with in this case - not that I don't have sympathy for the situation.

Yes. Shallow AND pedantic.

Reaction Score
It's a tragedy for his loved ones. That's for sure. Really anytime a young person unexpectedly loses his life , I think the term tragedy is appropriate .
My little brother died of a drug overdose at 25.
Self inflicted? Sure
Poor choice? Yup
Idiotic? I'll buy that

Tragic? Absofrickinlutely. It will always be, your definition of tragedy notwithstanding. I will choose to view it that way.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this kid.
I'm so sorry about your brother, drugs are the worst.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The Meadowlands is a traffic nightmare. Signs were completely wrong and misplaced due to the construction. People were stopping at every intersection to try and figure out why their GPS were all effed up, including us. I circled the outer ring twice before figuring Rte 3 was actually a right turn at an intersection where the sign indicated it was a left turn. On the issue of drinking probably not. I am more inclined to think the driver was texting while cruising at 65 (0r 85) mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom