Traci Carter (Committed to Marquette) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Traci Carter (Committed to Marquette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Regardless we're going to start looking at grad-transfers. Can we close this thread, the horse has been beaten...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If the "recruiting is fine" people didn't have strawmen to fall back on, they wouldn't have much to say in this thread.

Alright fine, our recruiting sucks and isn't getting better. KO won't become a better recruiter before he sinks us down to the America East. You've convinced me. Are you happy now?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If the "recruiting is fine" people didn't have strawmen to fall back on, they wouldn't have much to say in this thread.
I could just keep repeating "Hamilton, Purvis, Adams, Enoch" over and over and feel pretty good about that argument.

We landed our Nos. 1&2 targets last year, and our Nos. 1&3 this year. We have work to do once we move down our list, which I believe to be the residue of the recruiting sanctions (we had fewer days on the trail, and fewer assistants we could send out to evaluate & pitch recruits).

There are obviously other factors as well. Regardless KO has shown, for two straight years, the ability to identify, close and keep his top targets.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Right now we're going into next season with Samuel as our second ball handler. Him and a freshman in the back court. That kind of concerns me.

I'm concerned too. But I'd rather wait and see who is brought in instead of freaking out, which will have no effect on the situation. KO and staff don't read the BY and say "Hmm, the fans think we can't recruit...well this sure lights a fire under our @$$es! Let's actually go get the Traci Carters and Tevin Macks of the world to commit now!"

Reaction Score
Alright fine, our recruiting sucks and isn't getting better. KO won't become a better recruiter before he sinks us down to the America East. You've convinced me. Are you happy now?

Stop putting words in people's mouth, we're not going to feel bad for you.

Reaction Score

Way to prove my point.

Reaction Score
We have been on the final list or top 5 with about 20 guys, yet aren't even getting them on campus for visits. We have a new 40 million dollar practice facility, and it would be nice to show it to a few of them.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
We have been on the final list or top 5 with about 20 guys, yet aren't even getting them on campus for visits. We have a new 40 million dollar practice facility, and it would be nice to show it to a few of them.

Carter had a visit scheduled and he canceled it after he saw Marquette. That's not on our coaching staff. Take it up with the kid himself.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is there anyone who thinks that getting an "ace recruiter" on the staff is a bad idea? Has anyone said that, anywhere? If so, I must have missed it.

Is there anyone who thinks that repeating the need for an "ace recruiter"
overandoverandoverandoverandoverandoverandoverandoveragain is going to make it happen? We get it. I am sure that the staff gets it, and if they don't, I am also sure that they are not reading this messageboard for ideas--although I am equally certain that there are many here who think that they should, which is perhaps the funniest part of the meltdown you all are having.

In response to this well-worn "ace recruiter" battle cry, I have asked--several times--exactly what specific acts and/or omissions our present staff is guilty of in terms of the myriad recruiting "failures" that have been cited; and what specific things an "ace recruiter" needs to do to change that. The replies have been very heavy on "sneaker money" and "AAU-connections" references and citation to various missed recruits, but very light on detail and reality. This tells me that people are merely judging the results--not on the court, but simply the fact that we didn't close the deal on [fill in name of recruit we missed] and some "lesser" school did.

Again, we get it. Results matter. No one disagrees with that. This season's results, not so good so far. Last season's results, very good. Next season's results, who knows? No matter how phrased, the vocal minority is really demanding a different result. We get that, too. It's called winning. We've all gotten used to it, and we'd all like to see it continue. But no amount of kicking and screaming here is going to change it. The temper tantrums are getting old.

Me, I'm counting the days until pizza thread season. That'll really explode some heads.

Reaction Score
Carter had a visit scheduled and he canceled it after he saw Marquette. That's not on our coaching staff. Take it up with the kid himself.

Getting recruits we are actively going after on campus isn't on the coaching staff? Yea ok

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Getting recruits we are actively going after on campus isn't on the coaching staff? Yea ok

Who's to say he hadn't already made his decision and informed our staff? If his family had already canceled their transportation, what was KO supposed to to?

Reaction Score
I don't think Ollie has fully established himself yet. He has a mere 5 years of recruiting experience, and that's a lot less than pretty much everyone else he's going against, whether it be the UK/Duke/UNC types or the VCUs and UNLVs of the world.

I agree that now that the sanctions are done there needs to be an uptick in recruitment. The difference between me and some people here is that I don't believe that we needed to bring in a Top 5/Top 10 class this year with Diamond Stone and multiple wings. Obviously that would have been phenomenal for the team and I would have gladly welcomed it, but I don't think the program is screwed because we didn't go from Hamilton/Lubin/SC2 to 1 5-star and 3 or 4 4-stars.

I will share your concern if recruiting stagnates or regresses next year. I am expecting and hoping that it will improve as Ollie gains more experience. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that given the improvement he has showed already (yes, this is an improvement).

Re. a top-notch recruiting assistant, I would welcome the addition of one to the staff. But I don't think it's going to be a cure-all, i.e. we can't say for sure that bringing our own version of Slice Rohrssen would have been the tipping point with Clarke, Mack, or Carter.

I can't say for sure whether or not we will be worse our better. I'll judge our incoming recruits once they step on the floor and show us what they can do.

I do think KO will improve with more experience, but with all that's at stake I don't think we can afford to wait. Ollie shouldn't be the lead guy anyway, he should be the closer. I'd like to know what the other guys on the staff are doing, Hobbs for example is an experienced recruiter.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Why does it seem like people here think that recruiting is all about recruits committing to the biggest schools on their list? That is not the way recruiting works.

Based off of his comments, Traci Carter's number one priority seemed to be early playing time. Looking at Marquette's roster for next season, they only have one other point guard and no other incoming point guard commit. Meaning that without even stepping on the court, Traci Carter is most likely Marquette's first point guard off the bench for next season.

Then you look at our roster situation for next season and you have Samuel, Cassell Jr., and Jalen Adams all in the mix for playing time at the point guard spot. Carter wasn't coming here with that competition.

With those circumstances, it would have been a challenge for Ollie to get Carter to commit here.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Omar actually verballed after Calhoun step I just think the people jumping all over KO's recruiting should rememberped down. He was being recruited by Calhoun, but Calhoun stepped down in August, and Calhoun verballed in September. Nolan was a late addition.

How many times did we hear Calhoun (not related)!

Reaction Score
I think that what we have now is preferable to the alternative of canning our coach, losing Adams and Enoch, and being left scrambling for guys.

You are the undisputed kind of setting up false dichotomies. Literally no one is saying these are the two alternatives. You realize it makes your arguments vastly less compelling when you keep doing this?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You are the undisputed kind of setting up false dichotomies. Literally no one is saying these are the two alternatives. You realize it makes your arguments vastly less compelling when you keep doing this?

It's not a compelling argument anyway -- it doesn't fit the narrative everyone's looking for this season. The team hasn't played well overall, there's been a lack of development among players, and people are noticing a decline in the quality of in-game coaching (substitution patterns, halftime adjustments, and playcalling). Nobody wants to hear that recruiting is going anything but poorly given those concerns.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Textbook strawman argument there. Nicely done.

A lot of people think a change in the staff is in order; haven't seen many people predicting the end of UConn bball, though.

I don't see a straw man (or a tin man or lion). I see the truth. Somewhere between the craziness that we were going to win another NC this year and the pandemonium some express now, is the truth. Your idea (staffing change for recruiting) is reasonable. Some of the knocks to Ollie, the death sentence of the AAC, are not so reasonable and may not point to a solution.

PS I don't think there are many people here who don't think we have to do something about recruiting. I think the arguing is more about tone.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
The playing time argument can't possibly be true with Carter.

You're seriously saying he was scared off by T-Sam Cassell?

I'm assuming you are replying to my comment.

Question: If you are a point guard recruit who highly prioritizes immediate playing time, where do you go? The team that will have one point guard for next season or the team that will have three including one that is also in your recruiting class?

I never said he was scared off by Samuel and Cassell Jr., but why compete for playing time when you don't have to?

Reaction Score

Question: If you are a point guard recruit who highly prioritizes immediate playing time, where do you go? The team that will have one point guard for next season or the team that will have three including one that is also in your recruiting class?

I never said he was scared off by Samuel and Cassell Jr., but why compete for playing time when you don't have to?
couldn't agree more.

does anyone remember when the recruiting of carter heated up, if uconn sent ollie to see him or glenn miller?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I guess I'm saying that could very well be a legitimate reason for a kid. I just don't see how it applies to our situation at all.

Reaction Score
Of what I wrote, what exactly do you disagree with (if anything)?

I didn't say any of what you said. I think that, currently, the recruiting is poor. We're not doing a good job of closing on kids who seem interested in the program. I'm not saying we should fire the coach, but something needs to change in recruiting.

In response to this well-worn "ace recruiter" battle cry, I have asked--several times--exactly what specific acts and/or omissions our present staff is guilty of in terms of the myriad recruiting "failures" that have been cited; and what specific things an "ace recruiter" needs to do to change that. The replies have been very heavy on "sneaker money" and "AAU-connections" references and citation to various missed recruits, but very light on detail and reality. This tells me that people are merely judging the results--not on the court, but simply the fact that we didn't close the deal on [fill in name of recruit we missed] and some "lesser" school did.

I have no earthly idea what they need to do differently, but I'm not advocating for them to hire me to handle recruiting. This is the whole point: recruiting is hard and not just anybody can do it. The coaches we currently have on staff have seen some pretty poor results recently. I want to see them hire someone who could answer your question.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I didn't say any of what you said. I think that, currently, the recruiting is poor. We're not doing a good job of closing on kids who seem interested in the program. I'm not saying we should fire the coach, but something needs to change in recruiting.

I have no earthly idea what they need to do differently, but I'm not advocating for them to hire me to handle recruiting. This is the whole point: recruiting is hard and not just anybody can do it. The coaches we currently have on staff have seen some pretty poor results recently. I want to see them hire someone who could answer your question.
Hey, the recruiting season is not over.

Reaction Score
What I find tiring about this discussion is that it is not a real discussion about recruiting and how it is going and if it should be better. What I find tiring is that the naysayers seem far more focused on whom we talked to and didn't get rather than who we got. It is totally irrelevant to the program who they don't get, and it makes not a whit of difference whether they don't sign a player because we never call him or because we spend time with him and lose him. So if you want to have a real discussion that isn't about venting, it has to be about the class we have and its strengths versus weaknesses.

It seems to me that the two players who we have are the makings of a good UConn class. Given that we have four open schollies and real performance issues with some of the returning players, failing to bring in at least a third on a project or role player level would be a failure. Which means that this year's class, at worst, would be somewhat disappointing because we didn't have enough depth in it, or, at best, if we sign a big man with promise or a Brown or a PG who gives out what Craig Austrie (who was not viewed as a UConn level recruit when he was brought in) gave us as a frosh (or better yet two of such players), the class is actually good.

But criticizing the class because you don't think Jr., Lubin, Nolan and Samuel are UConn level players, or because you have our conference situation, is irrational and what causes the reaction that the fire and brimstone people view as having their heads in the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom