Traci Carter (Committed to Marquette) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Traci Carter (Committed to Marquette)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Samuel, Purvis, Hamilton & Cassell are all capable of handling the ball...at times, but that is certainly not their strong suit.

The lack of ball handling after Boat leaves would put a lot of pressure on JA to shoulder that load...adding another PG for this coming year would make sense. If we can't land a real PG prospect like a Traci Carter, I would wait it out and put the full court press on a floor general for 2015

When have you seen Purvis dribble more than 3 times?

Reaction Score
Not so sure there Chap, looking back, Jimmy Calhoun did pretty well cramming for his "final exam"
Let's see:

1. We didn't study hard enough for Brandon Jennings, had to cram and ended up with a A+ in Kemba Walker
2. Didn't study hard enough to pull Brandon Knight, crammed and got an A+ in Shabazz Napier
3. Poor studying led to Jabarie Hinds going to WVU, in doing so we crammed and ended up stealing a gem from WVU in Ryan Boatright.

Although "cramming" cannot always be relied upon, recently when UConn crams, we've come out smelling like roses. So give it some time Chap, given our recent history, things may turn out to be just fine.

To be fair, said "cramming" has also led us to the likes of Jamaal Trice, Rob Garrison, Ben Eaves, and Phil Nolan.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I'd say we could use another steady PG who can handle and assist. But there is also a big need for a pure shooter. And, it wouldn't hurt to add a big man who can board and provide some inside scoring. Other than that we're set.
So basically, we need a basketball team?

Reaction Score
yanker3212: yo nailed it dude

who recruited gmen hoya current roster? they beez loaded; if that recruiter is interested in a New England upgrade over mean streets of DC . .

i says roll out red carpet to allow him to bring a teeming team so olywould have a tangible asset to mold

Reaction Score
I really don't see carter coming here and instantly turning uconn into a good passing team. It's not about 1 player on the press breaks , guys like purvis hamilton and even facey are going to need to turn into better passers.

Maybe KO completely swipes cassels minutes and turns Samuel into strictly a back up 2 guard, then in that scenerio I can see carter being a nice back up to Adams . Still wouldn't say "we need a pg bad". Adams is much bigger then boatright and instinctively looks like an above average distributer.

Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
To be fair, said "cramming" has also led us to the likes of Jamaal Trice, Rob Garrison, Ben Eaves, and Phil Nolan.

Garrison? He was only brought in because of laptopgate. Maybe in July, when it's kinda tough to find guys. Eaves was part of a nine-player class, and some of them were bound to be weeded out (or else our classes wouldn't be balanced). We already had Sticks at his position when he committed. Nolan signed on to a team going on probation, when probably nobody was even returning our calls, and hey, ended up starting on a national championship team.

At least Trice was a good example (Smith from that class too).

Reaction Score
chapwilvaug72 said:
yanker3212: yo nailed it dude who recruited gmen hoya current roster? they beez loaded; if that recruiter is interested in a New England upgrade over mean streets of DC . . i says roll out red carpet to allow him to bring a teeming team so olywould have a tangible asset to mold

Get the Hoya schlonga out of your mouth, this is the UConn board.

Reaction Score
Get the Hoya schlonga out of your mouth, this is the UConn board.

Maybe they have enough to avoid getting run off the court by Florida Gulf Coast or Ohio this time around.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I really don't see carter coming here and instantly turning uconn into a good passing team. It's not about 1 player on the press breaks , guys like purvis hamilton and even facey are going to need to turn into better passers.

Maybe KO completely swipes cassels minutes and turns Samuel into strictly a back up 2 guard, then in that scenerio I can see carter being a nice back up to Adams . Still wouldn't say "we need a pg bad". Adams is much bigger then boatright and instinctively looks like an above average distributer.

Our one "pure" Pg./ ball handler has been injured twice this season and most likely battling nagging injuries during games. If this can be prevented next season by getting a second pure Pg. to carry a little of the load then why not get a kid like Carter. Hopefully Tsam and Sam jr. Can step up and develop better ball handling skills but how bad would KO look if he had a chance to get a kid like this but didn't based on faith?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

Well if said "cramming" got us Kemba, Shabazz & Boat, (and let's be honest, 2 national championships) I'd take on the occasional Trice & Nolan every now and then, it's all about the chips! F everything else

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
When have you seen Purvis dribble more than 3 times?
I have and it ends up with him kicking the ball away or driving to the rim like a kamikaze pilot

Reaction Score
Don't really see pg as a serious position of need . I mean Adams comes in and can start there, then you have Samuel and Cassell as back up options. where carter gets tick in that rotation idk . Would perfer a shooter over 6'5, not really sure any of those are left in '15

Watch our offense when Boat is out of the game and either TSam or Cassell is our "faciliatator." Not only do we struggle to get good shots, we often struggle dribbling or completing a simple pass. We absolutely need someone who can handle it and get the ball moving. This guy might be a reach, but at least he is a pure point guard. Adams, for as good as he is, is only now getting people to believe that he's not a 2G and assuming that he can just come in, start, and be the guy right from day one is a little bit presumptious. Of our "big" point guard recruits, only Khalid was able to do this. Even Kemba had his struggles as a frosh (and soph) point.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This kid is a carbon copy of Emmanuel Owootoah. These guys get lots of hype because there the last ones who haven't committed and people need backups. They're not that good. I remember people were craving over Owootoah because he got a lot of hype over potential Kansas, Kentucky, and UConn offers and he ends up at Fresno State averaged 3 points a game and more turnovers than assists.

Its far better to get a JUCO or, at least in my opinion, shoot for another highly-rated ball handler.

Reaction Score
This kid is a carbon copy of Emmanuel Owootoah. These guys get lots of hype because there the last ones who haven't committed and people need backups. They're not that good. I remember people were craving over Owootoah because he got a lot of hype over potential Kansas, Kentucky, and UConn offers and he ends up at Fresno State averaged 3 points a game and more turnovers than assists.

Its far better to get a JUCO or, at least in my opinion, shoot for another highly-rated ball handler.
I don't agree that he's a carbon copy of EO, but I do agree that spring recruits are overhyped.

EO was hyped to ridiculous extent from his coach, and Zags picked up on the hype and reported that UConn, UCLA, UK and others were interested or impressed by him. The only source of news on EO was from Zags, and it was kind of out of nowhere. He also had ties to Brandon Bender, which is never a good sign. Don't think EO was ranked on any recruiting sites, either.

At least with Traci Carter, he performed really well at the Hoop Hall Classic in front of a lot of national recruiting analysts and coaches, so there is some legitimacy to the hype. Scout, Rivals, ESPN & 247 pretty much had the exact same thing to say about him - one of the best remaining players in 2015 class.

Reaction Score

Owootoah played against no one while he was in Canada and Kentucky. Carter is playing against better competition by far and is excelling. I am sorry but I dont see the comparison to Owootah at all.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Owootoah played against no one while he was in Canada and Kentucky. Carter is playing against better competition by far and is excelling. I am sorry but I dont see the comparison to Owootah at all.
In terms of hype/potential-hype.
I don't agree that he's a carbon copy of EO, but I do agree that spring recruits are overhyped.
EO was hyped to ridiculous extent from his coach, and Zags picked up on the hype and reported that UConn, UCLA, UK and others were interested or impressed by him. The only source of news on EO was from Zags, and it was kind of out of nowhere. He also had ties to Brandon Bender, which is never a good sign. Don't think EO was ranked on any recruiting sites, either.

At least with Traci Carter, he performed really well at the Hoop Hall Classic in front of a lot of national recruiting analysts and coaches, so there is some legitimacy to the hype. Scout, Rivals, ESPN & 247 pretty much had the exact same thing to say about him - one of the best remaining players in 2015 class.
Yeah having ties to Bender is a red flag. I'm not sure though. All these kids can handle the ball well against high school defenders and the transition to college is a lot harder for point guards. Its very rare you can find someone like Tyus Jones or Shabazz Napier who can step in and run the point for stretches with relatively no trouble. A guy like Terrence Samuel or Darius Smith, who performed well in select tournaments, have a lot more trouble and there is definitely a transition period. I think we're kidding ourselves if we think this kid can handle the ball better than Terrence or Adams next year. Even Purvis.

Reaction Score
I agree with the last two posts a bit. I think it's a reach to think a new entry to rivals150 is going to come in here at 6'0 160 and run the show . FWIW Adams is gonna be the highest rated pg( he is brewsters pg) we've had here since... I know walker was a burger boy so probably since kemba or before that. And then you have two other junior pgs on the team.

Uconn needs to become a better passing team entirely, everybody on the roster needs to work harder than they did this past summer. Developing trust = putting in work . As a team we've had some of the more egrigious live ball turnovers I've seen, they lazily swing the ball . Nobody works hard to get open for a teammate . Entry passing is often abysmal or non existent. Ollie in the nba was a defensive minded guard who made smart decisions(no turnovers), he really put his stamp on our title team. Probably with the help of legit vets (Napier / Daniels/ giff/olander/kromah), this year is different he has only one vet. It doesn't help that the schedule is difficult travel wise

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I agree with the last two posts a bit. I think it's a reach to think a new entry to rivals150 is going to come in here at 6'0 160 and run the show .

Absolutely NO ONE is suggesting he come in and "run the show". People are suggesting he dribble the basketball for short periods of time without bouncing it off his leg or holding on to it for too long and stagnate the offense. Just handle the ball and initiate the offense on occasion without stepping on his D&ck.

Reaction Score
Absolutely NO ONE is suggesting he come in and "run the show". People are suggesting he dribble the basketball for short periods of time without bouncing it off his leg or holding on to it for too long and stagnate the offense. Just handle the ball and initiate the offense on occasion without stepping on his D&ck.
I didn't word that right . Adams is going to be running the show , I think most can agree on that . I struggle to see how a smallish pg in gonna see tick period in the rotation over Samuel or Cassell, forget seeing it as a "need" . Both those guys may have had some low moments recently , but I'm not really in a rush to minimalize them in favor of this 2015 pg off a performance at Hhc. I just don't see how "KO needs a pg bad".

Reaction Score
I think Traci Carter may be better than we are giving him credit for. Turns out that he was injured for all spring and summer with a torn meniscus, and Scout has him as a top 20 PG and in the top 100.

Anyways, all of this is moot unless UConn offers him.

Reaction Score
Both of those guys are averaging about 1 TO to assist. Neither does a great job creating offense or easy shots for others. Uconn has always thrived with having more than one ball handler. Our achilles heel in 96 was we only had marcus williams at the point. Another PG who can handle and defend is essential. As Cahusky said we need someone who can initiate an offense or help versus pressue other than Adams.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I still think Cassell will be a good college PG when all is said and done. He's not fast, but he doesn't turn the ball over and his shot selection should improve and help his percentage. He hasn't been bad lately.

Samuel has been very good. Over the last 5 games he's been the only guy bringing it every game.

I don't think we'd depend on Carter next year any more than we did with TSam his freshman year. Maybe even less. Carter would also provide some depth if Calhoun decides to transfer somewhere to start his senior year, forcing Adams into the 2 spot more often. He'd be a good bench guy. Definitely not a make or break recruit or someone we absolutely need.

Reaction Score
Who thinks that Carter is "coming out of nowhere?" He was already a top-100 recruit, but he missed the spring and summer with a torn meniscus.

edit: TCF beat me to it

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member