Tournament (Non-UConn) Thread - 1st Round | Page 58 | The Boneyard

Tournament (Non-UConn) Thread - 1st Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what? It’s basketball
Exactly, I can root for Yale and revel in smart school beating a supposed athletics first school and also root for Dook to lose because they think they have outsmarted every school. My rooting doesnt affect the outcome and although a great sports team can have an effect on a schools admissions it isn’t something I’m losing sleep over. Buyer beware, if you get hoodwinked by Highpoint or Grand Canyon or even overpaying for Dook you probably deserve it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
"Overconfidence red flag of your homonym error" lol. Bro, it's a message board, not a literary journal. When I submit to those things I proofread. When I post here I dash it off and move on. Language is first and foremost about communication, and everyone knows what I meant.

"Favorable response"? I mean, who cares? It's a message board. Caring about likes or dislikes—say in smiles or frowny faces—is pathetic.
Everybody gets it
It doesn't matter
Nobody cares
I don't care
I judge

Sounds like a nothing poker hand that adds up to you caring, disliking, and having little communicative success when you lead with, " You were wrong."

Or, more simply...

"Zero."

"No."

Thanks, I'll file it away.

Reaction Score
Grand Canyon
We all got hot & bothered back in the day b/c Jerry Tarkanian was definitely providing benefits to recruits and blatantly playing loose with NCAA rules. Turns out Jerry was 1000% right in what he was doing. And the the NCAA holier than thou stance was parallel to Lance Armstrong going after others for doping = vigilant accusations, hypocrisy - covering up one's own wrongdoing by pointing fingers.

Almost every college & university in the country right now is a tremendous ripoff over-charging its students. What are Harvard and Yale's endowments*?! Grand Canyon might be reprehensible but they are on a continuum of grift. So I move we just watch basketball and avoid this quagmire.

*Had to look it up, $49.5 and 47.5 BILLION dollars as of 6/23, respectively. That is criminal but I'm still happy the underdog grifting Yalies beat the better value for your $ Auburn U tigers and sometimes convince myself that Bruce Pearl stands out as a backstabber & liar amongst cheaters.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Are you sure? We have haiku!

Aw c'mon, give him his due, in winning the "literary journal" argument I didn't make.

He strongly rebutted something I tagged as to be "left aside" but had quoted to set a foundation of understanding that he was asking someone to consider a different point of view...which similarly affirmed his his larger point that knowing that "here" meant "hear" should be sufficient within a message board. I accepted that, even if I made passing mention of the bravado.

In spite of my efforts to the contrary, I seem to have stirred some antipathy (i.e., caring) about telling someone they were wrong. It's ironic that I'd already said it didn't matter, while at the same time being factually correct, whereas, his was an unreferencing bold assertion to introduce an opinion, even if later supported by some factual content.

Without intending to, I thereby strengthened my point about the compromising effects of negatively provocative approaches when one wants to educate or persuade people. Of course, it's just a message board, with dashed off impressions, so who cares and what difference does it make?

Reaction Score
Aw c'mon, give him his due, in winning the "literary journal" argument I didn't make.

He strongly rebutted something I tagged as to be "left aside" but had quoted to set a foundation of understanding that he was asking someone to consider a different point of view...which similarly affirmed his his larger point that knowing that "here" meant "hear" should be sufficient within a message board. I accepted that, even if I made passing mention of the bravado.

In spite of my efforts to the contrary, I seem to have stirred some antipathy (i.e., caring) about telling someone they were wrong. It's ironic that I'd already said it didn't matter, while at the same time being factually correct, whereas, his was an unreferencing bold assertion to introduce an opinion, even if later supported by some factual content.

Without intending to, I thereby strengthened my point about the compromising effects of negatively provocative approaches when one wants to educate or persuade people. Of course, it's just a message board, with dashed off impressions, so who cares and what difference does it make?
I was right. Auburn wasn't that good despite everyone suggesting we had a bracket of death.

You were the one who made a comment about the "here"/"hear" misspelling as if that were relevant to the topic at hand (something something it undermined my point and highlighted arrogance?) and then made a comment about my general tone getting positive feedback (unlike some sensitive posters here, I don't particularly care). In each case, I dismiss out of hand the relevance of those comments. And if the "hear"/"here" thing didn't matter, you wouldn't have said it. It's apophasis, and everyone sees through that.

Instead, I continue to assert that we weren't screwed by the committee. That's the point and the context of my original post.

You have stirred no antipathy. It's a message board. It's supposed to be fun.

Reaction Score

Haiku AND long form journalism!

Reaction Score
I was right. Auburn wasn't that good despite everyone suggesting we had a bracket of death.

You were the one who made a comment about the "here"/"hear" misspelling as if that were relevant to the topic at hand (something something it undermined my point and highlighted arrogance?) and then made a comment about my general tone getting positive feedback (unlike some sensitive posters here, I don't particularly care). In each case, I dismiss out of hand the relevance of those comments. And if the "hear"/"here" thing didn't matter, you wouldn't have said it. It's apophasis, and everyone sees through that.

Instead, I continue to assert that we weren't screwed by the committee. That's the point and the context of my original post.

if anyone else is sort of killing time on a rainy Sunday waiting for the games to start, you, like me, might as well learn something:

apophasis - a rhetorical device wherein the speaker or writer brings up a subject by either denying it, or denying that it should be brought up. Accordingly, it can be seen as a rhetorical relative of irony.

Reaction Score
After UConn, which other teams are playing well and look really tough- Houston? Not worried about Purdue. Will get more clarity after the 2nd round, but who are the biggest threats to our team?

Reaction Score
Marquette has a pretty easy path to the Elite 8
IMG_1679.jpeg

Reaction Score
After UConn, which other teams are playing well and look really tough- Houston? Not worried about Purdue. Will get more clarity after the 2nd round, but who are the biggest threats to our team?
For the East and West: Illinois, Alabama and Arizona are my only teams of concern.

1. Illinois - Hawkins will have Clingan on the perimeter. He can shoot or drive and is quicker - Clingan will struggle with that assignment.
2. Alabama - lightning fast, take and make a ton of 3s.
3. Arizona - Ballo can pretty easily get Clingan in foul trouble. Not super talented but big, strong and wide. Samson, Yousseff or Karaban will be no match if he gets in foul trouble.

However, I don't expect to be playing any of those teams.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Haiku AND long form journalism!
It's a big tent, containing multitudes.
I even wrote a song parody yesterday.
Except for the inevitable snakes in the grass, we're all on the same team, pulling the sled to happy destiny.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Purdue is currently giving 11.5 to Utah State Sunday. I really don't think the matchups justify 11.5 but maybe they feel playing in Indy gives them the edge. Hopefully Colorado and Marquette fans stay after their game and show USU some love to balance things out. Utah State does have size and depth. I like those points.

Reaction Score

Comparatively it is the bracket of death with

3 of the 4 returning final four teams
Conference/Season champs from East, Ivy, SEC, B10, B12

either way we will be the BEAST of the EAST all the way to the FF

Reaction Score
Yes after watching all of the games the last two days. There is really 2 teams that stand above the rest, UCONN and HOUSTON. We just play a different brand of basketball even compared to the other top 10 teams.

Houston will have a tougher matchup path than we will. A&M can put up some points and JMU will get past Duke. If they get to the EE, either Colorado or Marquette, both can make it very hard for Houston

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Nah, the only "arrogance" would be in claiming singular interpretations, where many are plausible good ones and yours is but one among them.

I never labeled ours as the "bracket of death," either literally or figuratively.

Similarly, those who have never heard or heard of "apophasis" might not see through it, and those who accept that I was more focused on your request (in essence) to be heard, irrespective of the amusement contained within a homonym that could have been no more than a harmless dictation fail, wouldn't be required to see it your way.

I think I've got a couple posts that push back on the notion of our team being "screwed," and a couple that more generally questioned how conferences too big for full round-robin play could end up with teams showing deceptively strong records that benefitted from only play the top teams a single time. That's how I saw South Carolina after I read their fans touting Lamont Paris as National Coach of the Year, over Jon Rothstein's choice of Hurley, and Virginia's inclusion in the 68-yeam field. Seems like you saw Auburn that way.

I like to draw from the wisdom of co-partisans who have their attentions on things I'd like to know when I can't know everything all on my own.

But now, UConn WBB , first round play .

Last edited:
Reaction Score

James Madison University. They opened some eyes last night. Puke wants no part of them.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Yes after watching all of the games the last two days. There is really 2 teams that stand above the rest, UCONN and HOUSTON. We just play a different brand of basketball even compared to the other top 10 teams.

Houston will have a tougher matchup path than we will. A&M can put up some points and JMU will get past Duke. If they get to the EE, either Colorado or Marquette, both can make it very hard for Houston
Agreed. After those two, there are two or three second tier teams that are really good when they are on. The rest of the field looks like they are playing an entirely different game.

Reaction Score
In my opinion Houston is over rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman