Tournament (Non-UConn) Thread - 1st Round | Page 57 | The Boneyard

Tournament (Non-UConn) Thread - 1st Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
damn the kiss of death. mary's making a run.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Antelope Jumping GIF

gcu going to the second weekend fellas. im sold.
GCU to the sweet 16 and JMU to elite 8 in my brackets ;)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter at all if the fans get cocky. Only if the team does.
It's all part of the same cosmic vibration. Cherry-picking which aspects of the ineffable meet your approval is a facile approach that has undeniable appeal, but reveals compromising inconsistencies upon closer examination

There's 4 top 10 teams in the same bracket and they all won major conference tournaments.
To assert that the committee was some combination of biased, corrupt, dishonest, cynical, and lacking motivation to make corrective changes so that this would be less apparent is better argued than that UConn got screwed, a now-stale claim that benefits from simplicity but sounds whiny.

Should UConn prevail through arguably dubious additional challenges, the notion that it got screwed will completely vanish in relevance & applicability whereas the Committee's actions will still fit the descriptions I've offered when viewed through a lens of static history in telling the story after the fact.

I don't like it any more than you do, but the time to highlight the victimhood angle has passed in favor of playing the dealt hand as well as possible.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As happy as I am that Auburn is donezo it pains me to think that Brown had that team dead and buried last weekend.

Hell of a game for that wing with the Greek name. Auburn remains probably my least favorite team in college basketball, starting with the evil clown on the sidelines.
Perhaps there's some small consolation in imagining that Brown could have beaten Auburn by 1 point, because it lost to Yale by that margin and Yale beat Auburn by 2.

Reaction Score
It's all part of the same cosmic vibration. Cherry-picking which aspects of the ineffable meet your approval is a facile approach that has undeniable appeal, but reveals compromising inconsistencies upon closer examination

To assert that the committee was some combination of biased, corrupt, dishonest, cynical, and lacking motivation to make corrective changes so that this would be less apparent is better argued than that UConn got screwed, a now-stale claim that benefits from simplicity but sounds whiny.

Should UConn prevail through arguably dubious additional challenges, the notion that it got screwed will completely vanish in relevance & applicability whereas the Committee's actions will still fit the descriptions I've offered when viewed through a lens of static history in telling the story after the fact.

I don't like it any more than you do, but the time to highlight the victimhood angle has passed in favor of playing the dealt hand as well as possible.
Brother, I think we're going to win the whole thing.

I also think UConn didn't get a bracket that a #1 overall should get and I think the Big East got hosed on # of bids. Our record was gaudy, Marquette and Creighton got their respect and the committee pretended everyone else stunk.

No grand conspiracy, I don't believe it was the two football superpowers doing their thing...Mountain West got 6.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Or. Here me out.

You were wrong.
Leaving aside the overconfidence red flag of your homonym error for a moment, how many times have you invited somebody to give something a closer look, told them point blank, "You were wrong," and gotten a favorable response?

Have you warmly received my comment? That should be your first clue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Marquette has a pretty easy path to the Elite 8

I don't know what to make of Marquette. WKU is not great defensively and is just bad offensively, and that is compared to all teams in D1, and it took 30 minutes for Marquette to pull away. Marquette's shooting picked up at the end, but Marquette missed a lot of wide open shots in the first 2/3's of the game. Maybe it was just a bad game.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Brother, I think we're going to win the whole thing.

I also think UConn didn't get a bracket that a #1 overall should get and I think the Big East got hosed on # of bids. Our record was gaudy, Marquette and Creighton got their respect and the committee pretended everyone else stunk.

No grand conspiracy, I don't believe it was the two football superpowers doing their thing...Mountain West got 6.
We're very much aligned. I just object to framing it presently as, "We got screwed." I think it's bad energy.

"This is what happens when you try to ban us" will live in my heart forever, but Bazz waited til Hathaway presented the trophy to say it on the biggest stage after 6 consecutive win-or-go-home victories over the top teams from each of the top conferences that year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If we had ever let the game get this close this late in the first half the chat would have spontaneously combusted
This place has rarified air that is so combustible that anything less that winning the NC last year, and doing so in the fashion it was done, held that threat until the end of the SDSU game, and it still bubbles not too far below the surface. I don't think it can be helped.

I'm grateful for the product I see on the court and do my best to fully appreciate the efforts & personalities of those responsible for producing it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't know what to make of Marquette. WKU is not great defensively and is just bad offensively, and that is compared to all teams in D1, and it took 30 minutes for Marquette to pull away. Marquette's shooting picked up at the end, but Marquette missed a lot of wide open shots in the first 2/3's of the game. Maybe it was just a bad game.
Return of Kolek?

Reaction Score
You see what Yale did to Auburn as well as what they did a few years ago as well as what Princeton did last year and people really think msu or Virginia deserved an at large over this years Princeton, really now?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You see what Yale did to Auburn as well as what they did a few years ago as well as what Princeton did last year and people really think msu or Virginia deserved an at large over this years Princeton, really now?

Is the Ivy paying NIL?

Reaction Score
Shaka jitters?? He’d be squirming if they lost that game.

Reaction Score
Leaving aside the overconfidence red flag of your homonym error for a moment, how many times have you invited somebody to give something a closer look, told them point blank, "You were wrong," and gotten a favorable response?

Have you warmly received my comment? That should be your first clue.
"Overconfidence red flag of your homonym error" lol. Bro, it's a message board, not a literary journal. When I submit to those things I proofread. When I post here I dash it off and move on. Language is first and foremost about communication, and everyone knows what I meant.

"Favorable response"? I mean, who cares? It's a message board. Caring about likes or dislikes—say in smiles or frowny faces—is pathetic.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What’s not to love about a school with the academic standards of the university of Phoenix and the institutional standards of Liberty?

Which school are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr