Tour de France | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tour de France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice to see Tyler Phommachanh show some of his promise. He is so different from the rest of the field you wonder if he can succeed long term as a road racer.

Reaction Score
And the hipster solos his way to a stage win by time trialing 34 km off the mountain. Well done.

Nice to see Tyler Phommachanh show some of his promise. He is so different from the rest of the field you wonder if he can succeed long term as a road racer.

It's his second win in a road race. Outside of the Northern Classics, He's really only going to win races from a breakaway. And the those are low probability wins, but when you do, boy is it impressive.

He's basically the same style of rider as Fabian Cancellara or even Tony Martin, only maybe with a slightly better sprint. He's basically purpose built to win at Flanders, Roubaix and Milan San Remo depending on the year. Both Martin and Cancellara have proven that big guys can climb when they are on the right kind of form. Phinney is so much younger than those guys and his best days are well ahead of him.

In terms of talent, he's probably the first rider the US has had in a long time that could win realistically win a World Championship in the Road Race and TT discipline and the same would apply in the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Big stage today. Would love to see Garmin and BMC gang up on Sky. I predict that midway through that last climb, that Sir Bradley Wiggins will be totally isolated.

Reaction Score
Wow, the Pro Sports\TDF thread is the new MBB forum.

First time I have noticed this thread. Cool. I follow cycling and race Tri's. Sorry Zoo, I like Wiggo and ride a Pinarello FP2.

Reaction Score
Wow, the Pro Sports\TDF thread is the new MBB forum.

First time I have noticed this thread. Cool. I follow cycling and race Tri's. Sorry Zoo, I like Wiggo and ride a Pinarello FP2.

So you're the one:) I would like Wiggo, but the manner in which he left Garmin and the subsequent treatment of Chris Froome after his TdF win really turned me off. Also, I hate his defensive riding style.

That's a good idea though. What are the rest of you guys riding? I have an S-Works Tarmac SL4 with DA 9000 and zero buyers remorse. I have a hard time not riding it.

Reaction Score
I don't get hating on Wiggins because of the way he wins. Everyone can't be Alberto Contador. Heck even Contador can't be Contador without a little juice.

Reaction Score
So you're the one:) I would like Wiggo, but the manner in which he left Garmin and the subsequent treatment of Chris Froome after his TdF win really turned me off. Also, I hate his defensive riding style.

That's a good idea though. What are the rest of you guys riding? I have an S-Works Tarmac SL4 with DA 9000 and zero buyers remorse. I have a hard time not riding it.

Really nice wheels Zoo. I race with a Kuota k-factor, ride with the Pinarello, but MTB with a Specialized Epic. Also have a Cannondale CX, a Ibex hard tail for commuting and a Cannondale R4 as a Winter beater.
Don't believe everything you hear about the Garmin break up. Wiggins is not a bad guy. Froome is also a rider I really like. Froome has the future. Can't wait till July.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was partial to Treks for many years, but bought a Giant a while back on the advice of our shop owner - they just fit me well. I have a Defy Advanced SL now.

I'm partial to Dura Ace wheels because they simply never, ever, ever, ever break - generally, I prefer the C35, but I have a pair of C24s as well.

I'll eventually buy another TT bike, but not this year.

I also have a Redline Conquest Team - they're carbon now, but I bought mine from the last remaining stock of aluminum frames. It serves to race cross, ride in the rain and snow and after having a set of racks and a custom wheelset made, I've thrown a set of panniers on it and taken off on a couple of weeklong bike tours.

I also have four old-English three-speeds that I've either restored, reimagined or just plain turned into fat-tired beach bike. I dearly love them - there is something endearing about a bike that requires a torch and a hammer just to do routine maintenance.

Reaction Score
I don't get hating on Wiggins because of the way he wins. Everyone can't be Alberto Contador. Heck even Contador can't be Contador without a little juice.

It's easy to hate Wiggo, he is about as like able as 5 lb bag of poo. He makes Cav seem affable.

Reaction Score
Really nice wheels Zoo. I race with a Kuota k-factor, ride with the Pinarello, but MTB with a Specialized Epic. Also have a Cannondale CX, a Ibex hard tail for commuting and a Cannondale R4 as a Winter beater.
Don't believe everything you hear about the Garmin break up. Wiggins is not a bad guy. Froome is also a rider I really like. Froome has the future. Can't wait till July.

I know that Garmin took a chance on a dude and gave him the latitude to develop as a GC guy. Them he didn't even have the good graces to mention that in his "memoirs". The fact that someone with an active career has already published a memoir is off putting enough.

If it wasn't for Garmin, he would still be one of Cav's chubby lead out men,

Oh and then when he won the Tour on one of the easiest par courses ever, he refused to give Froome his share of the payout. David Brailsford actually had to intervene on that one and months later, Wiggo gave Froome his share, Pretty sorry behavior.

I also have a Ridley X-Fire for cyclocross and a Specialized Rockhopper which I almost never ride.

Reaction Score
I was partial to Treks for many years, but bought a Giant a while back on the advice of our shop owner - they just fit me well. I have a Defy Advanced SL now.

I'm partial to Dura Ace wheels because they simply never, ever, ever, ever break - generally, I prefer the C35, but I have a pair of C24s as well.

I'll eventually buy another TT bike, but not this year.

I also have a Redline Conquest Team - they're carbon now, but I bought mine from the last remaining stock of aluminum frames. It serves to race cross, ride in the rain and snow and after having a set of racks and a custom wheelset made, I've thrown a set of panniers on it and taken off on a couple of weeklong bike tours.

I also have four old-English three-speeds that I've either restored, reimagined or just plain turned into fat-tired beach bike. I dearly love them - there is something endearing about a bike that requires a torch and a hammer just to do routine maintenance.

Nice wheels. I pretty much love anything Dura Ace. My racing wheels are Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLRs. They have been bullet proof until recently. I also have a set of custom built Chinese Carbon tubulars but they are outperformed by the Mavic wheels because they have better hubs and they are more aerodynamic.

Reaction Score
I know that Garmin took a chance on a dude and gave him the latitude to develop as a GC guy. Them he didn't even have the good graces to mention that in his "memoirs". The fact that someone with an active career has already published a memoir is off putting enough.

If it wasn't for Garmin, he would still be one of Cav's chubby lead out men,

Oh and then when he won the Tour on one of the easiest par courses ever, he refused to give Froome his share of the payout. David Brailsford actually had to intervene on that one and months later, Wiggo gave Froome his share, Pretty sorry behavior.

I also have a Ridley X-Fire for cyclocross and a Specialized Rockhopper which I almost never ride.

I don't believe much of the stories written about the riders. They all seek publicity, have huge egos and love good drama. Wiggins and Froome seemed to have patched things up now - so we hear. But I clearly remember Wiggo being pissed at Froome for attacking too early in 2012 and things went downhill from there. Again, egos that are bigger than ever.

Get on that Rockhopper and enjoy the woods occasionally.

Race on NBCSP today at 4:30. Don't expect much change to occur but who knows.

Reaction Score
I don't believe much of the stories written about the riders. They all seek publicity, have huge egos and love good drama. Wiggins and Froome seemed to have patched things up now - so we hear. But I clearly remember Wiggo being pissed at Froome for attacking too early in 2012 and things went downhill from there. Again, egos that are bigger than ever.

Get on that Rockhopper and enjoy the woods occasionally.

Race on NBCSP today at 4:30. Don't expect much change to occur but who knows.

I think the Thousand Oaks Circuit race could be the best stage yet. That should be the final stage for every ATOC.

Sky and Wiggo pretty much confirmed that all of Wiggo's spiteful ness was true because they were not happy that information leaked.

I also suspect that the TdF that he won had a parcourse that was designed to favor Wiggo and Sky, the Tour was just so easy that year and weighted towards time trial, oh and it just so happened that the London Olympics were the same year so it gave them their little moment. It's not unprecedented for riders and teams to influence routes. But I definitely see him as one of the weakest TdF riders in history, right there with Carlos Sastre.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can't stand Wiggins.

I hate hearing him talk. I hate watching Skye drag him around France or California or wherever he needs a tow between time trials. I hate his nickname and I hate his accent.

Nope, I don't like him.

Reaction Score
I can't stand Wiggins.

I hate hearing him talk. I hate watching Skye drag him around France or California or wherever he needs a tow between time trials. I hate his nickname and I hate his accent.

Nope, I don't like him.

Give him credit. His is going to win this race tomorrow.

Like it or not, the Brits are our best friends. I love em. Cheeky basterds.

Btw... Nice wheels Fishy. Love the Giants. Best friend has one and loves it. Never pictured you rolling on carbon.

Reaction Score
Give him credit. His is going to win this race tomorrow.

Like it or not, the Brits are our best friends. I love em. Cheeky basterds.

Btw... Nice wheels Fishy. Love the Giants. Best friend has one and loves it. Never pictured you rolling on carbon.

Yeah, but look at who his competition is. Big whoop. He is the most contrived GC guy since... Never.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but look at who his competition is. Big whoop. He is the most contrived GC guy since... Never.

You can that about competition in most early season races. It's a smart move for him to be in CA. Giro d Italia is a curse for the TDF. The competition is admittedly not top notch but it's strategic for his year. I like that he came to the states. You guys should give him some fair credit.

Reaction Score
You can that about competition in most early season races. It's a smart move for him to be in CA. Giro d Italia is a curse for the TDF. The competition is admittedly not top notch but it's strategic for his year. I like that he came to the states. You guys should give him some fair credit.

Valverde, Nibali, Contador etc.. Will drop him like a bad habit in July. He is not in their league.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
... Hey Jens, why didn't you recruit Ryan Gomes to Trek Factory Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom