OT: - Total Knee Replacement on Friday 9/11 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Total Knee Replacement on Friday 9/11

Reaction Score
Getting it done due to stiffness/lack of bending/arthritis- only one knee, other is fine. Confused about the continuous passive motion (CPM) machine. Don't I need to use it at night too when I sleep? The rep for the CPM machine said they don't recommend using it at night (they don't recommend putting it in the bed in case you move a lot normally during sleep). I'll check with Doctor, I thought he said to use it as much as possible both night & day, while also doing the PT exercises as much as possible. Anyone have a Total Knee Replacement recently?
Just spoke with my cousin who had hers done last Wednesday. They kept her in rehab for five days before sending her home. She is using a walker for a couple of weeks but the Dr. said everything went well and she should be back to normal by the middle of Oct. She said there was some "discomfort" involved but feels it was more than worth it. Good luck, Conndog.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
I had a horrible knee injury, playing basketball 40 years ago. Had medial collateral, anterior cruciate and medial meniscus torn. Had surgery and stayed very athletic for years. Did competitive cross country, 10 Ks, alpine skiing, moguls until the reconstruction gave out. Couldn't even walk 100 feet. Seven years ago I did a knee replacement on my right knee. Went in one day out the next. Only took one pain pill. Recovery period was about 3 months. Now I can do just about everything. For example to combat COVID since March 1st, I have walked between 8 to 10 miles every day to include weekend at a 10 to 12 minute pace on hills. Everything documented in my Forerunner 250. Knee replacement was the best health decision I ever made. Do your PT religiously.

Reaction Score
So far so good after one week. I am doing PT 3 x day now, simple things thru VNA to get me going. Formal PT starts Monday. Using knee bending machine constantly- day & while at sleep- and walking a lot too (short distance).
I feel great & knee bend measured today was 110 degrees. Also have next 5 weeks off from work- that is nice!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have a theory about knee problems that of which I want to inquire among our brethren: I start to have issues when I curl up into a semi-fetal position when I sleep. I've trained myself to extend my legs and leave them there.
When I'm consistent in that regard, my knees are fine...and when I forget;
I have a little pain that feels like the meniscus issue reoccurring.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
it may not be your knee - it could be your psoas muscle. I grew up sleeping in a fetal position and once I reached a certain age my hip and knee started to ache. I lived with it until a massage therapist told me the how a tight or shortened psoas, which runs from the lower back, through the inside of the groin to the lower body, can cause back, hip, and/or knee pain. I had frequent hip or knee pain and even some achy feelings on the inside of my leg below the knee before I saw her. It was all because of the psoas. She was able to relieve the hip and knee pain through massage but stretching, avoiding sitting for a long time, or curling my legs while sleeping can help greatly.

Reaction Score
So far so good after one week. I am doing PT 3 x day now, simple things thru VNA to get me going. Formal PT starts Monday. Using knee bending machine constantly- day & while at sleep- and walking a lot too (short distance).
I feel great & knee bend measured today was 110 degrees. Also have next 5 weeks off from work- that is nice!

I had one done 4 years ago & had a great surgeon. Wasn’t fun, but knew that pain would get better, whereas the old college basketball injury with lots of osteoarthritis aggravated by many moons of coaching wouldn’t. Hated the pain meds, but got rid of them in a couple days. My PT was a former player who smiled and said they were going to repay me for all the conditioning pain they endured, but did a great job getting all my flexibility back. Don’t even think about having a replacement joint now. Biggest danger long term is impact from, let’s say, jumping down from pickup tailgate or any impact straight legged.

This surgery is something that will make you speak fluent profanity for the first few weeks, and 3 months down the road you will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.
Godspeed

Reaction Score
I had one done 4 years ago & had a great surgeon. Wasn’t fun, but knew that pain would get better, whereas the old college basketball injury with lots of osteoarthritis aggravated by many moons of coaching wouldn’t. Hated the pain meds, but got rid of them in a couple days. My PT was a former player who smiled and said they were going to repay me for all the conditioning pain they endured, but did a great job getting all my flexibility back. Don’t even think about having a replacement joint now. Biggest danger long term is impact from, let’s say, jumping down from pickup tailgate or any impact straight legged.

This surgery is something that will make you speak fluent profanity for the first few weeks, and 3 months down the road you will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.
Godspeed
This is comforting to read, thanks. My knee stiffens up easily but it's only been 10 days since surgery & tissues are still healing/excess fluid is still bathing the area. I'm pleased that pain isn't a big deal- really just using Tylenol & ibuprofen to keep it minimal, and it's doing my exercises when it hurts the most. I'm learning that getting better won't be a straight line going regularly forward but will have some highs & lows. Regular PT starts today, and Oct 2, I'll see surgeon for 3-week follow-up.
Now, if we can just finish our kitchen remodel started 2.5 years ago (which has changed to full-house remodel), then I'll really be happy!

Reaction Score
This is comforting to read, thanks. My knee stiffens up easily but it's only been 10 days since surgery & tissues are still healing/excess fluid is still bathing the area. I'm pleased that pain isn't a big deal- really just using Tylenol & ibuprofen to keep it minimal, and it's doing my exercises when it hurts the most. I'm learning that getting better won't be a straight line going regularly forward but will have some highs & lows. Regular PT starts today, and Oct 2, I'll see surgeon for 3-week follow-up.
Now, if we can just finish our kitchen remodel started 2.5 years ago (which has changed to full-house remodel), then I'll really be happy!

My advice, which is worth exactly what you’re paying to get it, is to make sure you take your chosen pain control before you go to PT for the first two or three weeks- it will help. FWIW, been through the whole house remodel too, which also caused a great deal of pain radiating from the right gluteus maximus, where I carry my billfold.

Reaction Score
My knee replacement surgery is set for October 29th. I have the Boston Celtics team doctor performing the surgery so I think I’m in good hands. Some great advice from everyone though. Thank you!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My knee replacement surgery is set for October 29th. I have the Boston Celtics team doctor performing the surgery so I think I’m in good hands. Some great advice from everyone though. Thank you!
Best wishes! I hope your dunking and 3-point jumper will be as good as ever!

Reaction Score
I don’t think I had a limp- main issue for me was loss of bend, but at initial eval they measured and sure enough, I was 8 degrees off from straight leg. Now at PT, they are having me work both on increasing bend & increasing extension to correct it to being straight. The exercises do hurt esp. the forced bending, but I know to keep going.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Good luck to you.

Reaction Score
Yes, I've actually had 2 recently, first one failed after 5 years and they had to do a revision. I did use one for my initial surgery, but my Doctor did not have me use a CPM after my 2nd surgery. He said new evidence came out that they are not really beneficial and virtually nobody was using them anymore. He said the modern approach is much more aggressive, they want you walking(assisted with crutches/walker) in a couple of days. I am not going to lie to you, it stinks the first couple of days, but after that it gets easier and easier. Being able to get around without any pain is amazing. My only advice to you is to really get after your PT, the more you put in the quicker you will recover! I wish you the best of luck!
My wife had one done Friday. Same thing no machine. Walker, cane already doing stairs the day after surgery. PT visits 3 times a week and exercise twice a day when no PT visit. No machine ever mentioned.

Reaction Score
It's been a while, now 6 weeks since total knee replacement, here is an update. I have good flexion which last PT was measured at 128 degrees, but it takes some loosening to get it there (exercise bike primarily). In the morning and throughout the day, my knee is still tight, it loosens up when exercising especially with bike. I bought a bike trainer and put my road bike in it- back wheel connects and converts it to stationary bike), and this helps. I see physical therapist sometimes once a week and sometimes twice a week depending on what she thinks & it is super helpful. I had her write out daily exercise instructions for me to do at home so I won't forget any.

My extension (straightening leg) is getting better but still needs work- it is under 5 degrees from normal now. PT has me doing two things mainly to help with this- 1) pushing knee backwards while standing by tightening quad and moving backward a bit & holding it back for a few second, doing this in sets of 10 once an hour or throughout the day, and 2) when lying on couch (say watching tv) have the leg raised above me & knee unsupported- maybe cross other leg on it or place a heavy book on it- as much as possible.

I still have considerable swelling in knee and this is limiting flexion. Keeping leg elevated when resting helps, so too does icing, and massaging knee & thigh to push fluid out while leg is raised is helpful. I wish more emphasis was communicated by doctor about icing- how to do it properly, what to use, how often, etc.

Pain has not been a problem except in last couple of weeks, especially as I take less & less PRN ibuprofen and tylenol (all I'm using for pain), but I sometimes do wake in middle of night with knee aching some & then take the PRN stuff. I have a pain relief cream Voltaren that I rub on knee area also which seems to help- it's an over-the-counter arthritis pain cream.

Another thing I use that helps is an inclined board- at PT, they have one at 15 degree angle, and I made one up at home (just rested one edge of a 2'x1' surplus board on a fireplace log). PT wants me to stand on the board for several minutes a couple of times a day to work ankle, which somehow is helping with extension too- I try to rock my knee backward while on it.

Of course, the flexion/bending exercises I do help with that & are painful. Once loosened up a bit, I just bend my knee as much as I can and hold it for at least a minute. Then I relax leg & bend it even more & again hold for a minute or two. I just keep pushing farther the bend & hold for what I can.

After the exercises are done, I have to remember to ice knee again. I bought a knee ice wrap with beads, but I think a good old bag of green peas works as well and is cheap.

Good luck to anyone else with ongoing or upcoming surgery. I'm glad I had it done and it will only get better! I was able to take 6 weeks off from work but now am back, but since our work has us working from home now, it makes it better.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be your PT or doctor but have a suggestion for you to try from my long years of coaching. Use the opposite muscle to help your movement. When working on straightening the leg bend it against resistance. For example lay on your stomach and have someone resist you (not stop you but make it harder) while you bend the knee. You will be surprised how much it will help when then straightening it. Visa versa for increasing the amount of the bend. Make it difficult to straighten. Use your own opposite muscle groups to help. Much less pain and much more gain. I've used this principle a lot. Never force in the direction you wish to go. resist the opposite.

Reaction Score
It's been a while, now 6 weeks since total knee replacement, here is an update. I have good flexion which last PT was measured at 128 degrees, but it takes some loosening to get it there (exercise bike primarily). In the morning and throughout the day, my knee is still tight, it loosens up when exercising especially with bike. I bought a bike trainer and put my road bike in it- back wheel connects and converts it to stationary bike), and this helps. I see physical therapist sometimes once a week and sometimes twice a week depending on what she thinks & it is super helpful. I had her write out daily exercise instructions for me to do at home so I won't forget any.

My extension (straightening leg) is getting better but still needs work- it is under 5 degrees from normal now. PT has me doing two things mainly to help with this- 1) pushing knee backwards while standing by tightening quad and moving backward a bit & holding it back for a few second, doing this in sets of 10 once an hour or throughout the day, and 2) when lying on couch (say watching tv) have the leg raised above me & knee unsupported- maybe cross other leg on it or place a heavy book on it- as much as possible.

I still have considerable swelling in knee and this is limiting flexion. Keeping leg elevated when resting helps, so too does icing, and massaging knee & thigh to push fluid out while leg is raised is helpful. I wish more emphasis was communicated by doctor about icing- how to do it properly, what to use, how often, etc.

Pain has not been a problem except in last couple of weeks, especially as I take less & less PRN ibuprofen and tylenol (all I'm using for pain), but I sometimes do wake in middle of night with knee aching some & then take the PRN stuff. I have a pain relief cream Voltaren that I rub on knee area also which seems to help- it's an over-the-counter arthritis pain cream.

Another thing I use that helps is an inclined board- at PT, they have one at 15 degree angle, and I made one up at home (just rested one edge of a 2'x1' surplus board on a fireplace log). PT wants me to stand on the board for several minutes a couple of times a day to work ankle, which somehow is helping with extension too- I try to rock my knee backward while on it.

Of course, the flexion/bending exercises I do help with that & are painful. Once loosened up a bit, I just bend my knee as much as I can and hold it for at least a minute. Then I relax leg & bend it even more & again hold for a minute or two. I just keep pushing farther the bend & hold for what I can.

After the exercises are done, I have to remember to ice knee again. I bought a knee ice wrap with beads, but I think a good old bag of green peas works as well and is cheap.

Good luck to anyone else with ongoing or upcoming surgery. I'm glad I had it done and it will only get better! I was able to take 6 weeks off from work but now am back, but since our work has us working from home now, it makes it better.

The achiness mostly goes away with time, but I still can tell you when we are going to get a storm based on aches in my knee. Try getting a neoprene sleeve for your knee, they work very well for me. They provide some support, they provide compression which keeps swelling down, and they also provide warmth and keep your knee pretty loose. They are quite inexpensive and you should be able to find one easily.

Reaction Score
Dont like that lineup at all.
Of course, we have this one:

I'm not trying to be your PT or doctor but have a suggestion for you to try from my long years of coaching. Use the opposite muscle to help your movement. When working on straightening the leg bend it against resistance.
That is newest PT exercise- I use a rubber stretch band, tie it to door knob or something else to anchor it, then lie on my stomach and bend leg up at knee with resistance. In same way, I’ll sit in chair with heel in stretch band and bend knee away from door with resistance. Thanks for feedback; it’s more reason to comply

Reaction Score
Conndog, walking backwards will help with straightening your knee completely. Be careful. Make sure you have a clear path behind you. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Good luck and get well soon.

Reaction Score
Our trainers often had them use those bands. They work. The old time stretching caused as much damage as it did positive things. People often over stretched muscles with force causing tears or made the muscle relax too much so that it pulled easily during normal workout or events. Good luck - now nothing but inprovement remains.:)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The BONEYARD has got to be the place!!! Where else can you go and get up to the minute news, notes and opinions about all things WCBB, and physical therapy advise about post surgery knee replacements too? :rolleyes:
Continue to heal and get well conndog. It sounds like the worst is behind you. :)

Reaction Score

Here is a great Ice bag solution. Get a few bottles of Karo syrup and dump 2-3 in a gallon freezer bag. Put the freezer bag inside another so no drippage at all. Freeze...use on knee. Pliable so contours area really well.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Here is a great Ice bag solution. Get a few bottles of Karo syrup and dump 2-3 in a gallon freezer bag. Put the freezer bag inside another so no drippage at all. Freeze...use on knee. Pliable so contours area really well.
And when you are done you can make peanut brittle for the holidays. Great idea. :)

Reaction Score
How have you been sleeping? I had my left knee done in late February and sleeping was rough. My right knee is now hurting and I’m trying to put replacing it off until next February. Hope you’re doing well. PT was rough.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
And when you are done you can make peanut brittle for the holidays. Great idea. :)
Really, would you want Skyball's "knee brittle"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom