OT: - Total Knee Replacement on Friday 9/11 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Total Knee Replacement on Friday 9/11

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Make him get up and walk, walk, walk. He pushed himself at physical therapy. Now is has full range of bend and no pain.
My SO is a PT and that's what I've heard for years from her. The patients most committed to their rehab have the best outcomes. So my advice to the OP is get everything in place today that will make your adhering to your rehab program when you get home as easy as possible.

Reaction Score
Good Luck and Best Wishes for a Completely Successful Surgery and Rehab.I had my left knee replaced 18 months ago. I cannot emphasize enough, do the rehab as an athlete would and stay ahead of the pain Curve, especially Day 2 after Surgery

Reaction Score
Had both knees done simultaneously (two surgeons) 15 years ago. Pain free since. Rehab is tough and long, but it all comes down to discipline. Do everything you are told, do it religiously, and take no shortcuts.

Good luck.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all your input! I already am taking pain meds pre-surgery (just Tylenol now but Doc says to start loading). It will be rough driving without coffee first thing in morning for operation- my wife will drive on way back. I am taking 6 weeks off from work & can't imagine not rehabbing. I wonder how soon I can drive? Well, I'm not super worried just want it done & over. Thanks again!

Reaction Score
Geez - My wife's experience (she's not a complainer) was like rolling-off-a-log. She was fortunate that she didn't have a lot of underlying arthritis but after 2 years of living with the cartilage pretty much gone, she had the replacement right after Mid-State opened post-covid.
She was in the hospital by 5:30am and home by 5pm the same day. Walking same day and (don't tell the Doc) driving within the week. Long walks within a few weeks. Was good about pre-and-post op exercises. Doc didn't "push" formal PT but she did go for a couple weeks. Never really complained about pain.
Again (like so many things) YMMV. If you don't have serious underlying "issues" consider it. The state of medical technology is amazing!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
@Conndog, confession here: I always read your handle as corndog.

Hope the surgery goes smooth and you have a quick recovery.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Best of Luck ConnDog

I'm one of the fortunate ones; 81and never been kissed...er...never had serious knee issues.

Did have a meniscus tear repaired; piece of cake.

I have a theory about knee problems that of which I want to inquire among our brethren: I start to have issues when I curl up into a semi-fetal position when I sleep. I've trained myself to extend my legs and leave them there.
When I'm consistent in that regard, my knees are fine...and when I forget;
I have a little pain that feels like the meniscus issue reoccurring.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Reaction Score
Never took pain pills for my knees because when I took them for other physical pain, they never worked. No sense putting drugs into your body if they don't work.

Reaction Score
Gee, thanks for the shower reminder. Yes, struggling to sit safely in that plastic outdoor chair, then struggling to wash what you're sitting on, then the struggle with the walker. Ah, the memories. Six months after my second knee my surgeon told me why they put the two surgeries 6 weeks apart. He said the total knee is the most painful ortho surgery/rehab there is and they found that people were declining the second if they scheduled them months apart.
Rocky, I think a used to watch a television based on your predicament. Lee Majors starred. The Bionic something or other.

Reaction Score
That's funny. But if you try to hit me with your walker you'll just lose your balance and topple over.
Just couldn't help but notice we have a lot of oldudes, olddogs, veryolddogs and the like.
At 3 score and 10, this place makes me feel young sometimes. :D
Yes. Come to think of it this should be called the Energizer Bunny yard.

Reaction Score
There's not much I can contribute to the conversation, as I have no experience with this procedure, so here's my best wishes for a speedy recovery @Conndog.

Has anyone ever conducted a survey of the average age of a Boneyarder? We do seem to be a bit ...unh geriatric.
I've heard rumors that RockyMTBlue2 nearly drowned when his boat tipped crossing the Delaware.

Reaction Score
This is all interesting to me. All my joints are rubbish and I’m only in my 30s. (Likely Elhers Danlos Syndrome- finishing genetic testing. No formal diagnosis yet)
Seems crazy to me that regular healthy people need joints replaced! Ack! My joints dislocate and fall out of where they should be at least 10-20 times a week (including knocking thumbs out almost daily when I put hands down to push up out of bed while half asleep, ouch). I hope you all get some relief! I can’t imagine getting joints replaced (mine don’t hold shape or stay where they are, but they definitely don’t wear away cartilage or anything like that. )
I think I’m just used to perpetual pain at this point. This is a super interesting thread for me.....

Reaction Score
Geez - My wife's experience (she's not a complainer) was like rolling-off-a-log. She was fortunate that she didn't have a lot of underlying arthritis but after 2 years of living with the cartilage pretty much gone, she had the replacement right after Mid-State opened post-covid.
She was in the hospital by 5:30am and home by 5pm the same day. Walking same day and (don't tell the Doc) driving within the week. Long walks within a few weeks. Was good about pre-and-post op exercises. Doc didn't "push" formal PT but she did go for a couple weeks. Never really complained about pain.
Again (like so many things) YMMV. If you don't have serious underlying "issues" consider it. The state of medical technology is amazing!
If you are talking MidState in Connecticut, that is where I had my knee replaced, shortly after CT Orthopedic took over a wing of the hospital. First class operation, and the surgeons are top notch.

Reaction Score
Hi everyone, I had my surgery and am back home recuperating! Procedure was at 7:30 am, and it was 2 hours drive with arrival for 6:30 am, so set alarm for 3:45 and gathered everything I needed and started driving with my wife. Got there without trouble, operation went smoothly and was done by 9 am. Doctor was pleased, we had physical therapy go over standing, sitting, toilet, and stairs. We were going home by 1 pm and got there by 3. Along the way, I would bend my knee off & on to not have two hours of inactivity.
I’m following the med program/schedule to the letter, and twice I’ve taken PRN nausea as me & anesthesia have a history. And I came close to falling once in kitchen- which they said is worst thing to do- when wife was in other room & I took both hands off walker to do something & lost balance. It caused me to lean backwards enough to wobble, and my wife got to me in time to support me. Hopefully I learned my lesson to not try anything on my own for next week or so but ask wife to help as she’s on vacation for this.
Pre-surgery, my extension was 8 degrees short of straight, and flexion/bend was only 90 degrees. I have the CPM machine working & tolerating it with extension and flexion set at -3 and +120!
So, thanks for your thoughts & comments which were very helpful. I am on the road to recovery!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Hi everyone, I had my surgery and am back home recuperating! Procedure was at 7:30 am, and it was 2 hours drive with arrival for 6:30 am, so set alarm for 3:45 and gathered everything I needed and started driving with my wife. Got there without trouble, operation went smoothly and was done by 9 am. Doctor was pleased, we had physical therapy go over standing, sitting, toilet, and stairs. We were going home by 1 pm and got there by 3. Along the way, I would bend my knee off & on to not have two hours of inactivity.
I’m following the med program/schedule to the letter, and twice I’ve taken PRN nausea as me & anesthesia have a history. And I came close to falling once in kitchen- which they said is worst thing to do- when wife was in other room & I took both hands off walker to do something & lost balance. It caused me to lean backwards enough to wobble, and my wife got to me in time to support me. Hopefully I learned my lesson to not try anything on my own for next week or so but ask wife to help as she’s on vacation for this.
Pre-surgery, my extension was 8 degrees short of straight, and flexion/bend was only 90 degrees. I have the CPM machine working & tolerating it with extension and flexion set at -3 and +120!
So, thanks for your thoughts & comments which were very helpful. I am on the road to recovery!
So glad your experience was a good one. Be careful and work hard. Keep us posted. I was scheduled for a TKR in 2015 and went for pre-screening where they found that I had experienced a heart attack. So no new knee, but several stents later I still need to schedule the TKR.

Reaction Score
I had both hips replaced more than 15 years ago .. arthritis .. I was immediately pain-free .. and recovery was short, a week or so .. and I drive a stick shift, always and still do .. no problems, eh?

Reaction Score
8 weeks post op right knee total replace. I’m a 71 year old male. Already had both hips done.

Use the pain meds and do the PT every day. Every day. Get up and move a little more every day every hour or two (except at night). Ice as much as possible. Don’t know anyone who uses continuous motion machine. First week is toughest but everyone has different pain thresholds. It certainly was much better after 1-2 weeks.

After 4 weeks I was walking a mile a day and now up to 3+. Told to keep doing the PT for the year and that after that muscles don’t improve beyond that.

Keep it up. Spending no more than 30 minutes a day on PT plus walking and you will see best results.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So glad to hear that your surgery went well. The long road to recovery is just that, long. But you can do it. Just take one day at a time. I had a major surgery in late June. It took me two months to fully recover, with a lot of pain along the way. I’m 100% now, but it was a slow process. Please keep us informed on your progress.

Reaction Score
Congrats on the operation!
As everybody has said put 120% into your PT!
Best of luck!

Reaction Score
Just a quick update on the surgery, it is 3 days later & I’m doing great. Had hiccups for most of that time- anesthesia wearing off maybe- irritating but over now thank God. Pain is not much of issue- well managed by meds they gave me. Using CPM machine most of day & during night too- just keeps bending & straightening the knee over & over. Helps with range of motion & keeps scar tissue at bay. Doing PT too. Thanks & good luck if anyone else is having surgery anytime soon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the good news. There may be occasional bad days. If so, check in with us and we'll give you something else to focus on. ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Never took pain pills for my knees because when I took them for other physical pain, they never worked. No sense putting drugs into your body if they don't work.
It's not just for pain, it's for controlling swelling and inflammation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom