OT: - Total Knee Replacement on Friday 9/11 | The Boneyard

OT: Total Knee Replacement on Friday 9/11

Reaction Score
Getting it done due to stiffness/lack of bending/arthritis- only one knee, other is fine. Confused about the continuous passive motion (CPM) machine. Don't I need to use it at night too when I sleep? The rep for the CPM machine said they don't recommend using it at night (they don't recommend putting it in the bed in case you move a lot normally during sleep). I'll check with Doctor, I thought he said to use it as much as possible both night & day, while also doing the PT exercises as much as possible. Anyone have a Total Knee Replacement recently?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Best of luck Conndog. I've known people with old knee replacements that have had great luck, and some not. I know little about recent advances. Keep us informed.

Reaction Score
Had my right knee replaced, no cartilage. Need to have my left knee replaced, no cartilage. Had someone come to my apartment at first, then went to a physical therapy center. Only did the exercises I was told to do, including using a Pilates machine. Worked out well.

Reaction Score
Getting it done due to stiffness/lack of bending/arthritis- only one knee, other is fine. Confused about the continuous passive motion (CPM) machine. Don't I need to use it at night too when I sleep? The rep for the CPM machine said they don't recommend using it at night (they don't recommend putting it in the bed in case you move a lot normally during sleep). I'll check with Doctor, I thought he said to use it as much as possible both night & day, while also doing the PT exercises as much as possible. Anyone have a Total Knee Replacement recently?

Yes, I've actually had 2 recently, first one failed after 5 years and they had to do a revision. I did use one for my initial surgery, but my Doctor did not have me use a CPM after my 2nd surgery. He said new evidence came out that they are not really beneficial and virtually nobody was using them anymore. He said the modern approach is much more aggressive, they want you walking(assisted with crutches/walker) in a couple of days. I am not going to lie to you, it stinks the first couple of days, but after that it gets easier and easier. Being able to get around without any pain is amazing. My only advice to you is to really get after your PT, the more you put in the quicker you will recover! I wish you the best of luck!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My sister-in-law had her 2nd done a couple months ago, the other was a number of years back. Both were just typical degeneration, although she had injured the one she had done first as well, she is still in her 60's. In any case, I just spoke to her last week and she is now taking walks in the neighborhood, she said she was told 3 to 6 months recovery after the first one, and longer for this as she is older. Both her and her doctor are happy with the progress.

Best wishes for success!

Reaction Score
Yes, I've actually had 2 recently, first one failed after 5 years and they had to do a revision. I did use one for my initial surgery, but my Doctor did not have me use a CPM after my 2nd surgery. He said new evidence came out that they are not really beneficial and virtually nobody was using them anymore. He said the modern approach is much more aggressive, they want you walking(assisted with crutches/walker) in a couple of days. I am not going to lie to you, it stinks the first couple of days, but after that it gets easier and easier. Being able to get around without any pain is amazing. My only advice to you is to really get after your PT, the more you put in the quicker you will recover! I wish you the best of luck!
What he said. I had a tkr two years ago and they had me walking the next day. Re PT, it really is important to push yourself. One of the few times where the maxim "no pain no gain" is true insofar as you need to keep scar tissue from building up. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I had my right knee replaced several years ago and the first several PT it hurt like h--l!
But I was warned by friends that had it done previously that no matter how much it hurt do !, or 2 more than PT asks and you'll come through it with flying colors!
I had a friend who the minute it started to hurt he quit his exercises for that day then 1 month down the road his leg stiffened up and he had to have MORE surgery to break the adhesion! And it hurt a lot more than it should have! So I made it a habit if PT asked for 5 I did 7 or 8, if PT asked for 10 I did 12 and rather quickly thereafter my PT released me to do exercises by myself!
And now it's as good as it could be but the rest of me is falling apart. COPD, heart trouble, joints ache, I'm a mess!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know a number of folks who’ve had the procedure. As others have mentioned, some turned out fine, while some have struggled. The key factor is often the rehab after surgery. It’s a long process that requires absolute commitment to be successful.

Reaction Score
Prayers on the way Conndog.

Reaction Score
My husband had his knee replace in 2019 at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Stamford. He did use the CPM machine during the day but not continuously. Doctor told me do not wait on him. Make him get up and walk, walk, walk. He pushed himself at physical therapy. Now is has full range of bend and no pain.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
2 total knees 6 weeks apart. CPM used for parts of 2 days in the hospital. Had me walking with a walker the day after surgery. 1 knee was a charm, the 2nd I paid for it and had a procedure where they put you under and force the range of motion to break up scar tissue. There is a lot of pain in rehab, but take your meds and persevere.

Reaction Score
Thoughts and prayers to you Conndog. I've known several of my friends who had the procedure and the vast majority of them are very happy with the results. They all agreed that the most important thing you can do following your surgery is to keep up with the PT. Hope all turns out for the best.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Good Luck Prayers are on the way

Reaction Score
I had my right knee replaced several years ago and the first several PT it hurt like h--l!
But I was warned by friends that had it done previously that no matter how much it hurt do !, or 2 more than PT asks and you'll come through it with flying colors!
I had a friend who the minute it started to hurt he quit his exercises for that day then 1 month down the road his leg stiffened up and he had to have MORE surgery to break the adhesion! And it hurt a lot more than it should have! So I made it a habit if PT asked for 5 I did 7 or 8, if PT asked for 10 I did 12 and rather quickly thereafter my PT released me to do exercises by myself!
And now it's as good as it could be but the rest of me is falling apart. COPD, heart trouble, joints ache, I'm a mess!
Hey, Rshermvikes, you are still here, still contributing in a big way to the Boneyard. You have to stick around to let Carnac, Olddude and the rest of us know when we goof up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Best wishes! I have not had that procedure, but friends and family have. Get a good doctor and do the recommended PT. Best wishes!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My cousin had hers 6 weeks ago and I went to provide some home support for the second week after my sister had done the first week. The pain is serious, but my cousin was very conscientious in her PT and is now a few weeks ahead of schedule in terms of range of motion and general strength.

I would be very cautious about both under performing the PT and also pushing too far beyond what the PT wants - you can over-strain and set back your recovery time as well if you push too hard. And the most important thing her doctors and PTs stressed was NOT falling. Silly, it is obvious but a real risk - it is going to be a long time until that leg will perform as well as it should and recovering from a slight loss of balance with only 1.5 functional legs is much harder - add in pain medication and reaction time is slowed as well as balance being a bit degraded. (Having a well thought out safe way to shower/wash is also important - save water and shower with a friend if possible :cool:. Using an outdoor chair with arms in the shower is a possible solution, too.)

Good luck!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My cousin had hers 6 weeks ago and I went to provide some home support for the second week after my sister had done the first week. The pain is serious, but my cousin was very conscientious in her PT and is now a few weeks ahead of schedule in terms of range of motion and general strength.

I would be very cautious about both under performing the PT and also pushing too far beyond what the PT wants - you can over-strain and set back your recovery time as well if you push too hard. And the most important thing her doctors and PTs stressed was NOT falling. Silly, it is obvious but a real risk - it is going to be a long time until that leg will perform as well as it should and recovering from a slight loss of balance with only 1.5 functional legs is much harder - add in pain medication and reaction time is slowed as well as balance being a bit degraded. (Having a well thought out safe way to shower/wash is also important - save water and shower with a friend if possible :cool:. Using an outdoor chair with arms in the shower is a possible solution, too.)

Good luck!

Gee, thanks for the shower reminder. Yes, struggling to sit safely in that plastic outdoor chair, then struggling to wash what you're sitting on, then the struggle with the walker. Ah, the memories. Six months after my second knee my surgeon told me why they put the two surgeries 6 weeks apart. He said the total knee is the most painful ortho surgery/rehab there is and they found that people were declining the second if they scheduled them months apart.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
There's not much I can contribute to the conversation, as I have no experience with this procedure, so here's my best wishes for a speedy recovery @Conndog.

Has anyone ever conducted a survey of the average age of a Boneyarder? We do seem to be a bit ...unh geriatric.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There's not much I can contribute to the conversation, as I have no experience with this procedure, so here's my best wishes for a speedy recovery @Conndog.

Has anyone ever conducted a survey of the average age of a Boneyarder? We do seem to be a bit ...unh geriatric.
Do say.

Reaction Score

Step a little closer so I can hit you with my walker.:rolleyes:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Step a little closer so I can hit you with my walker.:rolleyes:

That's funny. But if you try to hit me with your walker you'll just lose your balance and topple over.
Just couldn't help but notice we have a lot of oldudes, olddogs, veryolddogs and the like.
At 3 score and 10, this place makes me feel young sometimes. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom