tOSU postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

tOSU postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Where did I say she won’t get any minutes? With Paige and Azzi how many minutes do you think she’ll get?

Reaction Score
UConn outshot OSU 45% to 38%. So, what happened?
1). OSU had 25 to 14 turnover advantage.
2). OSU had a 22 to 7 points on free throws advantage (I still cant believe this stat). UConn missed a lot, but OSU took 30 FTs vs 15 for UConn.

Again, OSU could beat our perimeter at will and get to the basket and draw falls. UConn needs to improve their defense, especially their perimeter defense, if they want to win another title soon.

On the flip side, OSU perimeter defense was awesome and forced tough passes because we do not have guards fast and physical enough to beat OSU's perimeter off the dribble.

Against good competition, this was a pattern. These are the biggest challenges for UConn next year, imo.

Reaction Score
I hope I am not repeating what others have said, but this being the 100 or so comment well... I mainly am just processing. Here are my thoughts:
1. Before the game, I was semi-concerned because according to Geno, Azzi was struggling in her confidence too shoot. I personally wondered if Azzi and Caroline could handle the mental pressure of a big game especially coming off big injuries. They also didn't play when we faced SC & TN defenses.
2. I tend to not give the refs all the credit, but to say BAD REF calls can't effect a team's momentum is FALSE. Both teams flopped, but Ohio seemed to benefit and grow bolder when they got away with it. They were falling left and right by the two minute mark of the 4th, and unfortunately one of those bad calls came when UConn had pulled within 5. On the other hand, calls seemed to cause frustration for UConn leading to increased desperation and sloppiness. It also led to Edward's leaving the game when the team needed her (another key to the team losing). Her 4th foul could have easily been Ohio's, but... I digress.
3. Lou. She took a back seat due to nagging injuries and playing a smaller role for others to shine in the first two tournament games. However based on the big games this year, I knew that Lou has a tendency show up when the pressure is on. In fact sometimes, she seems to thrive off of it. Today when she came back from that scary fall and kept scoring when the outcome was almost decided, she was the player I felt for. Dorka had two seasons, and the others will have another shot. But Lou...she played like this was her last shot and wanted to see that Elite 8 game. The pressure didn't phase her. I definitely will continue to watch her play.
4. I love this team and I hope they get credit for how far they went despite the injuries. I don't know what next season will bring. I am hopeful, but I am less confident than others for a few reasons which I will keep to myself. Anyway this season was stressful, but also fun to watch at times! Can't wait to watch the rest of the tournament and Lou and Dorka in the pros!

Reaction Score
Anyone who says Nika was the reason we lost or that shes not a GREAT point guard knows NOTHING about being a point guard.
The main reason we lost wasn't turn overs, it wasnt the fouls it was becuz we couldnt hit a shot. Lou is the only one who was on as far as shooting. If we had hit 40 percent of out shots we would have won. Even our foul shots werent going in. If we had been making our shots Ohio State would have had less shots and it would have changed the entire game.
So quit trying to hang this on Nika. She had the toughest job just getting the ball over half court and no one was really helping her. In the 2nd half she just decided to quit passing to the "help" and bring it across herself which worked.

Reaction Score
No one has mentioned our great pg and dpoy in the BE. What was her game like today. And Azzi did it again. Checked out in the big game. Devestating. I'm glad we'll have Paige back next year. She has some heart and can prepare for the moment. Huskies should not have lost to OSU, they are not a better team.

Reaction Score
Basically, Ohio State won the game without having to face AE.
With all due respect to all the fans here, no malice just opinions on other opinions. For the above who's fault was that?

So you think Paige is going to not return or be injured?

So, losing Caroline, Dorka and Azzi for multiple games this season is something to be ignored?
Again no attack @browns but sometimes posters should explain what they would have done different. This to enlighten us with less knowledge of the game.

Nika will be the point guard. Geno is not playing a freshmen over a senior.
Hello paging paige. Have some already forgot a player of the year? It will be very interesting when she gets back to full tilt workouts.
Best in the nation if healthy.

UConn's sloppy ballhandling, passing, and inability to handle that pressure are well known to most competent coaches but you need the right talent and speed to cover the floor end to end to be able to expose it and OSU had it.
Badda Bing Badda Boomb!
My last post for tonight, best of luck to all you fans of the Uconn men’s team, St. John’s mens fan so no real rooting interest, just hope it’s a good game.
Surprised you commented here on the women's forum as a St John's men's fan. Maybe your new head coach will have you seeing the light as he is a well known women fan ; )

Reaction Score
I don’t believe for a second they were unprepared, that is just too easy. Ohio State was quick and opportunistic and deserved the win. Sometimes teams play poorly, that’s why UConn’s NCAA consistency over the years is so remarkable. When you come down to it, they got little from Muhl, Fudd and Edwards and they got next to nothing from the bench; just too much to overcome.
Let's net it out. UConn started looking at OSU' s press by standing still and not moving toward the ball. Did this again and again. This fits my definition of unprepared. That being said, there were numerous other areas that if improved would have helped toward a Huskie win. Loss is still too raw - over time, we will likely find out more info regarding what contributed to the performance. I have to congratulate the team and Geno for getting through one of the most unique seasons ever in a generally positive, gutty, way.

Reaction Score
It's more about shooting more shots at a higher percentage. TOs reduce possessions, true. But more shots and more rebounds are important, too.
UConn trying to pass the ball out of trouble was what the OSU defense was counting on. The reluctance to try to dribble out of trouble is what did UConn in, ball handling skills is what did them in. In short, UConn was not prepared for this type of defensive pressure. Kudos to the OSU coaching staff, they did their homework and it paid off for them.

Reaction Score
Utter nonsense, Muhl was not the only Uconn player that played poorly.
Who starts next year at PG will likely be a result of the offense Geno wants to run. I personally have seen the same UConn offense for many years as have the competition's coaches, and would live to see a few new wrinkles. Muhl will play a big role in any case, particularly when the team focuses on rapidly moving the ball down the court. In a slower, half court game, there are better ball handlers and passers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom