tOSU postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

tOSU postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What this team needs to do POST SEASON IS to relax and start next year anew with 6 players that got little or no minutes this year. I'm not Geno's greatest fan (that's TonyC) but I believe in Geno. I've seen him pull too many victories out of losses--and so have YOU. I believe in this team. They are every bit as great as the Swin, Sue, Asia, Tamika, DT, Watters, etc--and this team plays tougher teams-
DT et al didn't get called for phantom fouls or flop flop (except against ND).
Did you proofread this before you hit send? You want to start with 6 players who got little or no minutes? So who are you going to sit? You don’t like Geno you believe in him. Confusing post here.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
GIF by ABC Network

Reaction Score
In my book.
Geno coach of the year.
UCONN team of the year.
So many adverse situations this year.

Under the circumstances, This team over achieved. The what could have been, with a full roster will always weigh heavy on most of our minds. Especially seeing the way Lou played this season.

During the UCONN practice press conference, Coach Geno said something interesting surrounding, how much They have to do media related before the game is actuallly played. From that comment, I got the impression that he didn't feel, he had enough time with his team to properly prepare them.

When we lose it always stings. Yet somehow this one doesn't sting quite as bad. Turnovers have been a huge problem all season which I think most of us knew would continue to be a problem against a team that press as much as they OSU. I believe it was something that was incorrectible due to having a short bench this season. How do you teach lessons when you have to play the players that continue to run in unorchestrated offense. Bad habits are created

OSU out UCONNed us today. Not sure what happened to the days where we could give multiple looks within a game the way OSU did today.

I worry about our future due to so many of our players having to recover from injuries this off season. CD, AZZI inparticular. Hard to improve if our players are always on the mend.

Only major streak left is the final Sixteen streak.

Hope the upcoming teams/players understand what they're a part of and start to restore that feeling of dominance.

Go UCONN

Reaction Score
Two things killed us. Aaliyah in immediate foul trouble and not being on the floor and not being able to break the press. We lost composure and played afraid. Sometime it happens. Its nobodys fault. We needed somebody to step up like in the Baylor game. Nobody stepped up. Lou and Dorka were good. With all we've been through this season its amazin.

It really bothers me reading some of the posts in some of the thread knocking players and coaches. I know your frustrated but don take it out on our girls and coaches. Theyre frustrated just like you and it only makes it hurt more. Think about it. If your frustrated just like the rest of us go take it out on something but not our team.
You wrote nobody’s fault. Unless I am not understanding your point I do believe it was mostly the top 7’s fault. You can’t give these players a free pass. Otherwise what’s the point of all of this?

Reaction Score
As I contemplate the game I thought that Ohio State looked like we used to when we pressed every opponents possession after a made basket. My only question is, with 10 players healthy, why didn't we press the whole game too?
You have to make baskets, or at least FTs, in order to press effectively. The press takes effect when the other team inbounds the ball at the far end after we score. We didn't do enough scoring tonight because a) we turned the ball over too many times, b) gave up scoring opportunities with our 25 TOs, and c) gave them rebounds instead of inbound plays by missing too many FTs.

Reaction Score
Because as the opponent begins to advance the ball over halfcourt, you need to have athletes with the speed and lateral quickness to retreat very quickly into your base defense ahead of the ball. UConn only had 2-3 of those type kids in their current 7 man rotation. Edwards, Muhl, and maybe Fudd.
The other thing is you have to make baskets to set up your press something they struggled with. You can’t press when you keep giving the ball away.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to comment on this very difficult and disappointing game; I’m just going to say thank you to this team for a very special season. It was impossible to watch the ups and downs of this year without getting emotionally invested in this group of young women. Through all the injuries and adversity, they stayed together and their genuine affection for one another was obvious in their interactions. That is the thing that stands out most about this team, and it was why so many of us grew to care for players that most of us have never actually met. Everyone who comes to the BY cares about women’s basketball, and many of us care about the players. This year was also about caring for the people that these players are. Because of this, I’m extra sad tonight knowing just how badly these young women must feel. I send extra thanks to Lou and Dorka, and I hope to see both of them in the W in a couple of months. As for the rest of this very special group, I look forward to seeing them next season, and I hope they get to show what they’re capable of when healthy and when they’ve been able to play together regularly.
Be sad and disappointed tonight, take a few days off, then get back to it and use this feeling as motivation for next year. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the tOSU game:
  • This was a difficult game to watch. After UConn raced to a 10-2 lead forcing the Buckeyes to call timeout, the roof collapsed on the Huskies.
  • tOSU is a guard-oriented team that starts 5 players, who are all approximately 6’ tall, which is good if you’re pressing, creating turnovers and scoring in transition. That’s exactly what happened today against UConn who has struggled with the turnover bugaboo all season.
  • While turnovers were a big part of the problem, so too was the fact that UConn felt the pressure, was rushed on offense and took some really bad shots. With that said, UConn missed a bunch of wide-open looks and even struggled on the foul line.
  • Unfortunately, many UConn fans will get pretty ugly in their criticism of Geno and some of his players for this loss. I CHOOSE NOT TO. The Huskies overcame adversity and persevered all season long. The team feels far worse about today’s game than any of us could possibly feel.
  • tOSU clearly flopped whenever Aaliyah was in the same zip code. If the refs call it, it’s a successful strategy to take an AA player off the court.
  • As I watched Azzi struggle for much of the game, all I could think of was DT’s play her freshman year during the national semifinal. Just like DT, Azzi will be back with a chance at redemption.
  • Yes, If Paige was healthy, she changes the entire complexion of this game, singlehandedly. She makes all the right decisions against the press and settles down Azzi and her teammates.
  • Nobody wants to lose the last game of the season, and yet, just about every team in the country does. The loss today is disappointing for sure. But it should not obscure the overall success and perseverance of this UConn team.
  • Sincere thanks and best wishes in the future to Dorka & Lou, our two wonderful graduate transfers, who both played their hearts out today.
  • Finally, channeling my inner Brooklyn Dodger fan, “Wait til next year!” As of right now UConn’s 2023-24 roster looks incredibly strong: Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Caroline, Ayanna, Ines, Amari, Ice, Jana, KK, Ashlynn & Qadence. How many days until next season starts?
It wasn't anyone's best effort today.

Reaction Score
This game was lost in the first 6 minutes of the game. UCONN had several open looks early that would have blown the game wide open and they just couldn't buy a bucket. I was surprised at how easily they handled the press at times and really shocked that they refused to attack OSU when they had the chances. When they did go to the basket they threw up some really weak attempts hoping to draw a foul.

I didn't watch it live so I was expecting the press to be the problem but really they handled it pretty good most of the time. But the half court offense was as bad as I have seen UCONN in 20 years. They were all over the place, no spacing, missing open shots, flailing up shots at the bucket instead of going strong. It was a total meltdown from what I saw.

I really would have liked to see Patterson out there when AE got in foul trouble. UCONN isn't a real strong team but without AE they were getting pushed around under the basket today. Patterson is tough in that situation but really I guess Geno just didn't think she was ready.

Reaction Score
All in all, I'm satisfied with this season. With all the injuries we suffered, we went 31-6, won the conference and its tournament, beat some pretty decent teams, and maybe overachieved to finish up in an 8-way tie for 9th best team in the nation. I don't think the coaching staff realistically believed, after we got hit with so many injuries, that this was a championship caliber team; certainly not one that could beat the South Carolina juggernaut in this tournament.

In a way, I'm glad today's loss wasn't a close one. With all the TOs and missed FTs, a close loss would have stung even more.

Good luck to Lou and Dorka, and thanks to all the BYers for the banter. I'm looking forward to all the free time I'll now have for the next 6 months.

Reaction Score
A few observations, now that I've cooled down some and had a chance to reflect., Forgive me if I repeat what I am sure others have said:
1. Someone else's game plan was better than Geno's. UConn got schooled, and I cannot say I have watched many games where that has happened.
2. If there is an award for guts, give it to Lou. Not for the first game, she got dinged, got on the stationary bike, and came back into the game. You could tell she was hurt, but the team needed her, and she responded.
3. Azzi and Nika need to learn how to be adaptable. Cane in point: How many bounce passes up the mdidle does it take before you recognize that -- duh! -- OSU has one place on each side of the player you are passing to, just waiting to grab the ball. More than anything else, that play drove me nuts. They did it again and again and again. Same result.
4. If UConn is playing a good team, all the opponent has to do is get Edwards in foul trouble, and then UConn scrambles.
5. The refs were standard for a women's game, which means inconsistent as hell. There were several questionable fouls called on UConn players. That does not mean the refs cost UConn the game. They might have cost 2 oir 3 baskets, and that's being generous, given they way UConn shot. They were not the difference.
6. Is there any doubt who was the better team tonight? Not in my mind. OSU was prepared, executed their plan, and UConn fell right into it. It was only during the 4th quarter that they established some sort of equilibrium, and then only in spurts. Congrats, OSU!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the tOSU game:
  • This was a difficult game to watch. After UConn raced to a 10-2 lead forcing the Buckeyes to call timeout, the roof collapsed on the Huskies.
  • tOSU is a guard-oriented team that starts 5 players, who are all approximately 6’ tall, which is good if you’re pressing, creating turnovers and scoring in transition. That’s exactly what happened today against UConn who has struggled with the turnover bugaboo all season.
  • While turnovers were a big part of the problem, so too was the fact that UConn felt the pressure, was rushed on offense and took some really bad shots. With that said, UConn missed a bunch of wide-open looks and even struggled on the foul line.
  • Unfortunately, many UConn fans will get pretty ugly in their criticism of Geno and some of his players for this loss. I CHOOSE NOT TO. The Huskies overcame adversity and persevered all season long. The team feels far worse about today’s game than any of us could possibly feel.
  • tOSU clearly flopped whenever Aaliyah was in the same zip code. If the refs call it, it’s a successful strategy to take an AA player off the court.
  • As I watched Azzi struggle for much of the game, all I could think of was DT’s play her freshman year during the national semifinal. Just like DT, Azzi will be back with a chance at redemption.
  • Yes, If Paige was healthy, she changes the entire complexion of this game, singlehandedly. She makes all the right decisions against the press and settles down Azzi and her teammates.
  • Nobody wants to lose the last game of the season, and yet, just about every team in the country does. The loss today is disappointing for sure. But it should not obscure the overall success and perseverance of this UConn team.
  • Sincere thanks and best wishes in the future to Dorka & Lou, our two wonderful graduate transfers, who both played their hearts out today.
  • Finally, channeling my inner Brooklyn Dodger fan, “Wait til next year!” As of right now UConn’s 2023-24 roster looks incredibly strong: Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Caroline, Ayanna, Ines, Amari, Ice, Jana, KK, Ashlynn & Qadence. How many days until next season starts?

Reaction Score
Basketball acumen says that if you have a player that continually turns the ball over then you have to take the ball out of her hands or put her on the bench.
If you mean Nika, please tell me WHO you would replace her with? We don’t have another real ball handler (please don’t say Azzi, she’s an incredibly gifted scorer, but she is not a backup PG).

Reaction Score
I don't think it's entirely turnovers. TOs are a metric that's pretty visible. But There were 12 more points available if the number of free throws had been more even and UConn had shot them at a higher percentage and from a little bit higher percentage of 3s made and from a few less bunnies missed. There was engine knocking is a few places.

This year's UConn team is a wonderful group of young women. All the best to Dorka and Lou. Chapeau, Lou! C'était une très belle saison de basket!

Reaction Score
A very sad game
-outcoached...I always thought Kev was a dummy. -out hustled -out toughed
Lou was the only one who truly showed up.

teams learned a lot how to play us in the future
Too bad...lots of good players out there.
Didn't Dorka also play well?

Reaction Score
Florida Atlantic just beat Kansas State to make the final four. Note that FAU had 22 Turnovers to 12 for KState (minus 10 vs our minus 11). Our TOs may be bad but you can overcome that with good play in other areas. Obviously we didn’t, but don’t just say “TOs are the reason we lost”.
It's more about shooting more shots at a higher percentage. TOs reduce possessions, true. But more shots and more rebounds are important, too.

Reaction Score
So you think Geno is going to take the ball out of Paige’s hands ( not to mention Nika’s) and hand it to an untested freshman less than halfway thru the season?? Very interesting opinion! Not likely or even vaguely realistic, but I will check back with you in January of next year to see how well this prediction ages!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom