Topsy Turvy Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Topsy Turvy Big East

Reaction Score
Both are true. We sucked, Seton Hall deserved to win and we would have lost even if the refs called fouls like they had been called before conference play started. That is not an excuse.

Having said that, were both teams allowed to get away with huge amounts of contact that, prior to last night, were called fouls? Absolutely. How about if this year it doesn’t take us 8 friggin games to adjust to it?
Big East is by far the most physical league in the country, the refs simply let things go far more in the league than anywhere else. It's always been like this and yes it does level the playing field some with less talented teams but so what? Our staff and players know it and there's no excuse not to be ready for it, Hurley said as much in the post game. We weren't prepared for it last night and Clingan got hurt.

There's no reason we shouldn't be prepared for it in our other league games but we better hope Clingan is healthy and ready to go. I hope everyone now recognizes he's our most important player.

Reaction Score
We’ve put up a lot of points shooting like crap from 3 before we just weren’t getting the paint points were used to as well
Yes. The guy who usually gets those points only played half the game. While he was in he seemed to score whenever he wanted.

Reaction Score
Yes. The guy who usually gets those points only played half the game. While he was in he seemed to score whenever he wanted.
We also usually get our share of layups and dunks that weren’t there last night from anyone else.

Reaction Score
We’re 10-2. I wouldn’t say the “book is out” on how to beat us. Unless the book is titled, “Make Clingan sprain his ankle” or “rely on Cam Spencer, Karaban, and Ball missing WIDE open shots”. We didn’t play well. That won’t happen often
You don't think we can have an off shooting night again? That was the benefit of AS last year...we could always dump it inside for a bucket.

Reaction Score
I think there’s a difference between noting how they consistently call games differently and thinking it’s a giant conspiracy against just UConn.

I also don’t see much of that second thought.
It is both the case that:
1) Big East refs call games consistently in a way that elevates the also-rans and hurts our free-flowing style of play, and
2) Some Big East refs have antipathy towards our program in particular and disfavor us in 50/50 calls, especially on the road

Reaction Score
It is both the case that:
1) Big East refs call games consistently in a way that elevates the also-rans and hurts our free-flowing style of play, and
2) Some Big East refs have antipathy towards our program in particular and disfavor us in 50/50 calls, especially on the road
Why are they calling games this way though? I mean the conference can’t believe that these rock fights are better viewing than the high scoring out of conference games we’ve seen throughout the NCAA this year. Maybe they like being able to say the third or fourth big East team won it all when we do it lol

Reaction Score
You may love the Big East.

But make no mistake, the Big East hates UConn. They don't appreciate that we dominate the national spotlight. The refs absolutely give the benefit of the doubt to our opponents. The league treats us like second class citizens. Dave Gavitt formed the Big East to protect Providence basketball. Has it really changed?

The only thing they like is the money we pump into the conference.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Big East refs didn't cost us the game, but they absolutely have it out for us, still, especially on the road.
Every Big East team struggles on the road. It's not just us.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Every Big East team struggles on the road. It's not just us.
yeah it’s the true sign of talent in a league to win road games in conference.

if you don’t have next level nba talent and elite shot makers then you won’t win on the road and the big east has next to none of that.

there’s only maybe 3 nba players in the whole conference and two of them have been battling injuries.

calling a league “physical” is code for no talent or skill. sad.

Reaction Score

if you don’t have next level nba talent and elite shot makers then you won’t win on the road and the big east has next to none of that.

there’s only maybe 3 nba players in the whole conference and two of them have been battling injuries.

Did your wife leave you for a female life partner? You didn’t use to be at all like this new persona.

Reaction Score
Big East refs didn't cost us the game, but they absolutely have it out for us, still, especially on the road.
I also feel that the refs have a major affect on our games, but no way I believe the refs have it out for UConn, or any other team for that matter. Nor do I think we win or lose depending on how the refs call a game. Refs are probably 33% responsible and not just negative but positively too. All IMHO.

Reaction Score

There are at least 3 nba players just on UConn’s roster alone.

Every post from you is not only wrong but it’s actually quite depressing to read.
I feel bad for you. It is easy to tell you are sad and lonely man.

Reaction Score
There are at least 3 nba players just on UConn’s roster alone.

Every post from you is not only wrong but it’s actually quite depressing to read.
I feel bad for you. It is easy to tell you are sad and lonely man.

I don't mind the trolling I just wish the shtick was even remotely amusing or entertaining.

Reaction Score
At ease with the ref talk. It's sour grapes and tiresome.
Good lord. No one is saying we lost because of the refs. All anyone(including Hurley) is saying is that our guys didn’t seem prepared for the the drastic difference in the way the game would be called compared to non con. It’s not acceptable especially after last year. But it’s not an excuse. It’s context.

Would you disagree that a more physical and rugged game benefits the less skilled and talented teams?

Reaction Score
Good lord. No one is saying we lost because of the refs. All anyone(including Hurley) is saying is that our guys didn’t seem prepared for the the drastic difference in the way the game would be called compared to non con. It’s not acceptable especially after last year. But it’s not an excuse. It’s context.

Would you disagree that a more physical and rugged game benefits the less skilled and talented teams?
All of these things are true:
1) we would have lost last night with any kind of officiating, including like we got in the OOC, where we performed well
2) the consistent style of refereeing in the Big East hurts us uniformly and benefits many of the lesser programs in the conference
3) beyond this, many Big East officials are, in fact, biased against us/Hurley

That #1 is true does not mean that #2 or #3 is false. Acknowledging #2 or #3 also does not mean that we are denying #1.

Reaction Score
I also feel that the refs have a major affect on our games, but no way I believe the refs have it out for UConn, or any other team for that matter. Nor do I think we win or lose depending on how the refs call a game. Refs are probably 33% responsible and not just negative but positively too. All IMHO.
If the refs have a major effect on our game, and 33% is significant, then they can certainly affect the outcome of the game. Even if it's not intentional.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

LOL Cincy was literally known for being “physical” in the AAC…..

Reaction Score
If the refs have a major effect on our game, and 33% is significant, then they can certainly affect the outcome of the game. Even if it's not intentional.
By 33% I mean it is 1 of 3 components (the others being prep/skill/talent and game day intensity - disparities). It is impossible to predict or summarize the effects of officiating on an outcome. I would imagine in the absence of talent and intensity disparities, officiating will play a larger role. A large talent gap usually overcomes poor officiating etc. IMO.

Reaction Score

No. If Hurley is, in fact, saying that our guys didn't seem prepared for the "drastic difference in the way the game would be called"...........................that falls on Hurley, not the refs. Of course, a more physical and rugged game benefits the lesser skilled and talented teams. The coaching staff must prepare its team to react accordingly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Did your wife leave you for a female life partner? You didn’t use to be at all like this new persona.
Do you believe he'd be more pleasant if she left him for another man?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom