Topsy Turvy Big East | The Boneyard

Topsy Turvy Big East

Reaction Score
So we all thought it was a clear Big 3 in the Big East of UConn, Marquette, and Creighton before the season started. The metrics backed that up entering conference play.

And all 3 lost their Big East opener. Creighton even at home.

The good news of the night is that we're not behind the 8-ball to start with this loss. But we did blow a good opportunity to gain an edge on the other 2.

Reaction Score
The reffing between tonight and the Gonzaga game was wildly different. It’s two entirely separate leagues.
Seton Hall had a license to kill all night long and they used it.

The good news, the adversity should prepare UConn well for the tournament once again, as long as they get through without injuries.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The Big East conference games are reffed blatantly in a way to prop up the underdog, which is good for "anyone can win any night" excitement, but also chops the legs off of any giant in the conference.

Other conferences prop up and protect their conference "star" whether historically or each season, the Big East does the opposite.

Reaction Score
The Big East conference games are reffed blatantly in a way to prop up the underdog, which is good for "anyone can win any night" excitement, but also chops the legs off of any giant in the conference.

Other conferences prop up and protect their conference "star" whether historically or each season, the Big East does the opposite.
I don’t really get it, sure upsets can be nice but good portions of that game were pretty much unwatchable. I think we were stuck at 20 points for 10 minutes. It’s just crazy how different our offense looks in and out of the big east the last year and a half.

Reaction Score

The refs weren't responsible for UConn missing 3s, turning the ball over constantly and playing dismal defense. The refs were a small aspect of this game but we played like crap after the game was 20-10.

Reaction Score
The ref thing? Eh. Non factor . Silly to discuss given what you just saw in the last 30 mins of play.
silly to discuss when one team just has such a better day. I think it’s just a bad night at the office for Uconn. No referendum on the team. It happens…it will happen again…it will happen to other teams a lot more frequently. I happen to think Clingan is a good player but a bit overappreciated at this point in his development. But tonight, I think his loss in this game was a big factor in them pulling away.
If ya Take care of SJU, kids get a few days off etc, this one is a distant memory As ya start 2024

Reaction Score
The ref thing? Eh. Non factor . Silly to discuss given what you just saw in the last 30 mins of play.
silly to discuss when one team just has such a better day. I think it’s just a bad night at the office for Uconn. No referendum on the team. It happens…it will happen again…it will happen to other teams a lot more frequently. I happen to think Clingan is a good player but a bit overappreciated at this point in his development. But tonight, I think his loss in this game was a big factor in them pulling away.
If ya Take care of SJU, kids get a few days off etc, this one is a distant memory As ya start 2024

Pitino is going to send bodies at us and scratch and claw. That’s always his game plan. He’ll be mimicking what SHU did. It won’t be easy unless we are shooting lights out.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
2 things can be true. We shot 4 ft in 30+ minutes. The mauling of our ball handlers leveled the playing field
They pantsed us. They pulled down our drawers, put us over their knee, and spanked our soft little bottom in front of everyone.

The game is played between the ears, and we don't have Jackson this year to make a play and elevate us out of a funk.

The refs had nothing to do with it, really. Seton Hall was the more aggressive team on offense and the tougher, more focused team on defense.

That's it.

Reaction Score
They pantsed us. They pulled down our drawers, put us over their knee, and spanked our soft little bottom in front of everyone.

The game is played between the ears, and we don't have Jackson this year to make a play and elevate us out of a funk.

The refs had nothing to do with it, really. Seton Hall was the more aggressive team on offense and the tougher, more focused team on defense.

That's it.
We lost quite a few Big East games with Jackson last year and you could argue he was one of the main reasons until we made adjustments.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall drove the ball in, we settled for 3s and shots that weren't falling.
This is false. We attempted 21 3’s out of 58 shots. We played soft. The refs allowed both teams to play rugby. That leveled the playing field and actually played to their advantage. There was zero freedom of movement and it wasn’t because they were played “great defense”. They were bumping cutters and hand checking all game. We also made weak stupid passes all game and missed open shots. Both can and are true

Last edited:
Reaction Score

That's it.
You all have selective memory. AJax and the Huskies struggled with BE officiating last season as well. There were people wanting him benched

Reaction Score
So, how do we defend that offensive scheme? The book is out on how to beat us so I’m curious to see what adjustments the coaching staff makes….or do we just say “It’s the Big East”?

Reaction Score
So, how do we defend that offensive scheme? The book is out on how to beat us so I’m curious to see what adjustments the coaching staff makes….or do we just say “It’s the Big East”?
We’re 10-2. I wouldn’t say the “book is out” on how to beat us. Unless the book is titled, “Make Clingan sprain his ankle” or “rely on Cam Spencer, Karaban, and Ball missing WIDE open shots”. We didn’t play well. That won’t happen often

Reaction Score
We’re 10-2. I wouldn’t say the “book is out” on how to beat us. Unless the book is titled, “Make Clingan sprain his ankle” or “rely on Cam Spencer, Karaban, and Ball missing WIDE open shots”. We didn’t play well. That won’t happen often
It seems like teams are going to pressure us on the perimeter and switch a lot. If we’re not hitting our shots or getting those back cuts it can work. Usually TN can beat some of the pressure but it definitely seems to bother the rest.

Reaction Score
Ideally you sag off of the perimeter players and make driving lanes tougher to find.
One of the issues is that we tried that against Kansas, and it took all the energy out of our game. I understand why DH is redescent to go to that defensive style, but there are certain games (hall, stj, etc...) where it really is the best option. If he decides against it, then we have to win 1 on 1 defensive battles against tough drivers and protect the rim without fouling.
But the truth is that even with our lousy defense yesterday, if we hit a couple wide open shots early, this is a very different game. I wouldn't bank on us shooting 18% from 3 very often....and when we do, we deserve to lose.
The "Book" is basically "Have them miss a million open 3's". Allowing 75 points is not great by our standards, but it isn't the end of the world. Scoring 60 is.

Reaction Score
This is false. We attempted 21 3’s out of 58 shots. We played soft. The refs allowed both teams to play rugby. That leveled the playing field and actually played to their advantage. There was zero freedom of movement and it wasn’t because they were played “great defense”. They were bumping cutters and hand checking all game. We also made weak stupid passes all game and missed open shots. Both can and are true
Both are true. We sucked, Seton Hall deserved to win and we would have lost even if the refs called fouls like they had been called before conference play started. That is not an excuse.

Having said that, were both teams allowed to get away with huge amounts of contact that, prior to last night, were called fouls? Absolutely. How about if this year it doesn’t take us 8 friggin games to adjust to it?

Reaction Score
So much ref talk like we are so soft.

Do posters really believe in the conspiracy that the BE refs are all in on making sure we lose? Or are we just looking to blame them for our loss?
Big East refs didn't cost us the game, but they absolutely have it out for us, still, especially on the road.

Reaction Score
I listen to a fair amount of the games due to being on the road. Ususally get WayneO Norman and his sidekick(who is great), so I have a feel for what I am hearing. You could "hear" how soft we were playing last night, luckily I didn't hit a tree or run someone off the road in frustration.

Most of the comments on the BY today confirm what I heard.

Toughen up Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Ideally you sag off of the perimeter players and make driving lanes tougher to find.
One of the issues is that we tried that against Kansas, and it took all the energy out of our game. I understand why DH is redescent to go to that defensive style, but there are certain games (hall, stj, etc...) where it really is the best option. If he decides against it, then we have to win 1 on 1 defensive battles against tough drivers and protect the rim without fouling.
But the truth is that even with our lousy defense yesterday, if we hit a couple wide open shots early, this is a very different game. I wouldn't bank on us shooting 18% from 3 very often....and when we do, we deserve to lose.
The "Book" is basically "Have them miss a million open 3's". Allowing 75 points is not great by our standards, but it isn't the end of the world. Scoring 60 is.
We’ve put up a lot of points shooting like crap from 3 before we just weren’t getting the paint points were used to as well

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
So much ref talk like we are so soft.

Do posters really believe in the conspiracy that the BE refs are all in on making sure we lose? Or are we just looking to blame them for our loss?

I think there’s a difference between noting how they consistently call games differently and thinking it’s a giant conspiracy against just UConn.

I also don’t see much of that second thought.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom