Top 50 Recruits | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Top 50 Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Emeka is a bad backup C compared to Daniel Orton?

Please. I threw Emeka in there, a 10/10 guy his whole career, as a backup to Drummond. Kentucky's other center is Orton. Do you even watch the NBA?
Why would you compare him to Orton when Davis is there other center... Do you watch the NBA? Jones and Patterson are the PFs in the league. Which compares to Adrien and Charlie. You also did throw in Emekas name when talking about the hypothetical "game" (which I never thought is a good barometer for which team of talent is actually better because so many factors go into winning a game) saying Davis would be neutralized by him.

Reaction Score
Why would you compare him to Orton when Davis is there other center... Do you watch the NBA? Jones and Patterson are the PFs in the league. Which compares to Adrien and Charlie. You also did throw in Emekas name when talking about the hypothetical "game" (which I never thought is a good barometer for which team of talent is actually better because so many factors go into winning a game) saying Davis would be neutralized by him.

Davis I had at PF. For NO, he only played 10 minutes of center per game, most of it he played as a PF, where he's also listed. If that Kentucky team went against UConn, Cousins would be the center, Davis at PF.

You're making stuff up. It's not like people can't actually read this thread to see what I wrote. You show me where I said Emeka would neutralize Davis. Go ahead.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Davis I had at PF. For NO, he only played 10 minutes of center per game, most of it he played as a PF, where he's also listed. If that Kentucky team went against UConn, Cousins would be the center, Davis at PF.

You're making stuff up. It's not like people can't actually read this thread to see what I wrote. You show me where I said Emeka would neutralize Davis. Go ahead.
I told you I wasn't going by the team barometer for the reasons I stated before. I said before I was just going by collection of talent because no team is ever going to face off against each other. It's simply going to be who has the better players.

Also I'm sorry. You said Emeka and Drummond would make the center position a wash. In my head I was counting Davis as a Center. Who starts at center for the Pelicans though? Looking at their roster the only other center besides him is Alexis Ajenca.

Reaction Score
Tell me how special all of those "great" UK one and done's are doing? John Wall is beginning to be a player but many have faded into oblivion………no one could want UConn to ever be UK in that regard, c'mon. As stated above we have kids who become special players as well as special people………I like it that way as do 99% of the fans………..just need to ask one question:

Who's won more titles with their approach?;)
Anyone who wants uconn to be more like uk should have his/her fancard revoked permanently! How many Titles does uk have in the last decade? how many do we? i like the way we do it here and see no need to change it. the uk way hasnt produced an ok4,kemba or bazz. we get to watch players grow here into great players and people and thats fun to watch. its what makes uconn special.

Reaction Score
I told you I wasn't going by the team barometer for the reasons I stated before. I said before I was just going by collection of talent because no team is ever going to face off against each other. It's simply going to be who has the better players.

Also I'm sorry. You said Emeka and Drummond would make the center position a wash. In my head I was counting Davis as a Center. Who starts at center for the Pelicans though? Looking at their roster the only other center besides him is Alexis Ajenca.

Ajinca started 30 games, Jason Smith 27, Greg Stiemsma 20, and Jeff Withey 4.

Reaction Score
Ways that Drummond hurt program.
Wildly inconsistent play in the one year he played. He disappeared completely at times.
Completely took Oriaki out of his UConn experience. Lesser for Smith.
Took a scholarship from UConn after a championship season. That scholarship could have gone to a very good four year player.
UConn got knocked out in first round of NCAA.
Drummond's value may come if he turns into a star.
Drummond did not make a ripple in the UConn program. He was like a ghost..

Reaction Score

They have 2 more centers other than Ajenca. They play 35 minutes a game. I was wrong about Davis getting 10. He gets 13.

Reaction Score
pnete said:
Ways that Drummond hurt program. Wildly inconsistent play in the one year he played. He disappeared completely at times. Completely took Oriaki out of his UConn experience. Lesser for Smith. Took a scholarship from UConn after a championship season. That scholarship could have gone to a very good four year player. UConn got knocked out in first round of NCAA. Drummond's value may come if he turns into a star. Drummond did not make a ripple in the UConn program. He was like a ghost..

Yes, we were going to get an outstanding four-year player in August, a week before the start of classes. What a missed opportunity!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ajinca started 30 games, Jason Smith 27, Greg Stiemsma 20, and Jeff Withey 4.
I'm trying to figure out how this is right when the starting lineup was Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon, AA, Ryan Anderson, and Anthony Davis until Anderson went down in January. So did you make up these numbers?

Reaction Score
HuskyWarrior611 said:
I'm trying to figure out how this is right when the starting lineup was Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon, AA, Ryan Anderson, and Anthony Davis until Anderson went down in January. So did you make up these numbers?

GP = Games Played
GS = Games Started

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/no/new-orleans-pelicans

Davis missed a dozen or so games, which means there were probably some games when two of those guys both started and a few when none of them did.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Wildly inconsistent play in the one year he played. He disappeared completely at times.
Took a scholarship from UConn after a championship season. That scholarship could have gone to a very good four year player.
Come on.
Wildly inconsistent? OK, a lot of freshmen are. Did you see Andrew Wiggins this year?
Took Oriakhi out of his UConn experience? I think that was mostly on Alex Oriakhi.
Took a scholarship -- yes, that's what players do.
First-round loss -- crazy to pin that on Drummond.
Drummond wasn't the second coming of Shaq in his short time in Storrs, that's true. To say that he "hurt the program" is stupid.

Reaction Score
Yes, we were going to get an outstanding four-year player in August, a week before the start of classes. What a missed opportunity!
Calhoun held scholarship back for him rather than give to that four year player..

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
And now that scholarship has gone to Rodney Purvis/Daniel Hamilton.
Yeah but will those guys be here four years? Probably not. Drummond strikes again!!!

Reaction Score
[quote="HuskyWarrior611, post: ] Why settle for just being a nice college team when we can have an impact on the actual game of basketball itself? At the end of the day that's what schools really pride theirselves on. The impact on the sport. That's why UNC will forever pound their chest about Jordan no matter how bad they get.[/quote]

In what distorted world view are we a "nice" team when we've won two out of four championships? You want to be able to pound your chest about having a star? Grow up. The only thing in sports that sane people pound their chests over is winning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Andre is an ambassador for this program. Follow his twitter, listen to his interviews. Regardless of what happened his year at UCONN he is good for the program.

And think for a second about how that year went for him. Fresh out of high school to a defending national champion you think it all went as planned? Zero stability. Coach that's there one day and gone the next. A team with no leadership. That team had more problems than I could list. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Very little was Drummond's fault. It's a season I don't think any of us enjoy reminiscing about.

caw

Reaction Score
Calhoun held scholarship back for him rather than give to that four year player..

Wait, hold up. No. Let's pretend Drummond was on scholarship, it would have forced Michael Bradley to walk on. UConn was at its max scholarships. Due to a flaw in NCAA sanctions UConn still had open spots for recruited players, but had reached the Max for scholarships. Unless it was a four year walk-on it wasn't happening.

Now in reality Deummond walked on and Bradley kept his scholarship.

Oriakhi had his own issues and if Drummond was an inconsistent freshman, Oriakhi was an inconsistent player all three years.

Oriakhi and Smith hurt the program more than Drummond ever did (which Drummond didnt do).

So are you a troll, a kid or just not aware of Drummonds situation?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

No. Technically Drummond was a walk-on with financial aid. Earlier Michael Bradley offered to give up his scholarship for Drummond. The family refused his offer.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Could we please stop the argument about KY and get back to the topic of the thread? This is boring and not about the Top 50 Recruits

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If you guys really need me to break down the nba talent...
Kentucky
PG- Rondo, Wall, Bledsoe, Knight, Teague
SG- Meeks, Lamb,
SF- MKG, Prince
PF- Jones, Patterson
C- Davis, Cousins

UConn
PG- Kemba, Price
SG- Lamb, Gordon
SF- Butler, Gay
PF- Adrien, Villanueva
C- Drummond, Armstrong, Thabeet

Now which one would you really take?

Compare national championship.. I want teams not just McDonald All Americans. Teams win championships, not individuals

Reaction Score

please! This is such a ridiculous argument people make it's laughable. Alex O took himself out of his "UConn experience" not Andre Drummond. Wait I am incorrect, his dad assisted somehow in this matter………

Even disappearing at times as you would say, Drummond was twice the player Alex was just check the NBA if you have any questions. Also Andre as a frosh had more game that Alex had as a junior by far. AO was a pretty good player with a great body, not great skills at all, no hands and a post up game that was relegated to a left handed throw. His body allowed him to play tough, get putbacks and open lay ups when Kemba penetrated on occasion. Right place right time kind of player with virtually no offensive game, but when he felt like rebounding and playing he did it pretty well. But history shows he didn't do it all the time and even their NC year he was awful during the BE regular season more often than not. You want disappearing check out his stats as a soph - very good in Maui and very good in the tourney but not so much in the regular season BE where he was manhandled by better players often……..then he celebrated all summer showing his buddies his ring and worked on what would seem to be absolutely nothing and came back the same player, potentially worst if possible, certainly worst mentally. Think the problem AO found was JC doesn't let you rest on your laurels and deservedly so!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2011-12 was a disaster and AO was the real poison pill. Shabazz lacking constructive leadership skills, Lamb lacking most all leadership skills and over-shooting, were bad enough. However, AO truly mind- the chemistry on that team and it was evident the whole way down. Drummond never got comfortable because his mentor wanted him benched or worse, and Roscoe was a follower who ended up following AO out the door. The team was better off last year less AO, without question. Unfortunately it sometimes only takes one guy to royally F'up a team's chemistry but its even worse when it happens to a team with that much talent on it. That season was truly painful to watch! Giffey was my favorite player on that team and he and lamb should have rotated playing the top of the key looking for short jumpers, feeding the block, or looking for kickout 3's to neutralize the zones that beat our offense all that year.

Reaction Score
Drummond was somewhat disappointing as an individual player (I think a lot of us were expecting more after the years of hype).

Drummond's team was extremely disappointing, though that was mostly on other players (Lamb not being up to par as an alpha-dog; poor backcourt chemistry between Bazz and Boat -- or Bazz and everyone, really).

The way the coaching staff handled the dynamics between Drummond, Oriakhi, and Roscoe vis a vis playing time was nowhere near optimal.

In short, 2012 was an abortion that we're fortunate didn't damage the program permanently; but Drummond, while he didn't necessarily help the situation, wasn't overwhelmingly at fault either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom