Top 5 | The Boneyard

Top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally agree with that. Altho I'd switch Duke and Stanford, but that's a whole other discussion lol...

Reaction Score
What's Duke's best win?

California?

I honestly don't think they have had a "good win" yet, but they haven't lost and that means something to the pollsters. They will keep moving up in the polls until they lose. I don't think they are the 2nd best team in the country, but they will probably be ranked #2 on Monday.

Reaction Score
With games against BC, Clemson, Wake, Va Tech, Blue Devils should be 16-0 when they hit Hartford in a few weeks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Totally agree with that. Altho I'd switch Duke and Stanford, but that's a whole other discussion lol...

I think Duke is better than Stanford, but I have no problem with them being 4 and Duke 5.

Reaction Score
I think Duke is better than Stanford, but I have no problem with them being 4 and Duke 5.

Yeah, I could go either way. A 26 pt loss isn't as bad when it's to the #1 team. Now that it's the #3 team ... I could've dropped Stanford behind Duke.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
California?

I honestly don't think they have had a "good win" yet, but they haven't lost and that means something to the pollsters. They will keep moving up in the polls until they lose. I don't think they are the 2nd best team in the country, but they will probably be ranked #2 on Monday.

California is a better win than Maryland and maybe even Penn State :rolleyes:

So lets see. UCONN's good win was vs. Stanford... Stanford's good win was Baylor... Baylor's was ND, and ND's obviously was vs UCONN. Personally I think we fall to 5.... no way will we be #2..... I think we are the 4th best team in the country.

Now watch Cal lose to Colorado tomorrow.. or get blown out by 50 to Stanford next week :oops:

Reaction Score
Does it really matter what the rankings are the first week of January? (my answer = no, it's a futile, speculative, and meaningless issue to nitpick about now - ok, I know that it can still be fun ;) )

Bottom line for me is that:
  • UConn has some (likely a lot of) work (and healing) to do it they want to be on top in the only poll that really matters - - at the end of the season
  • Many of us BYers overestimated the immediate impact potential of our freshman (and others?)
  • The gulf between the top 2 teams and everyone else, which was referred to so much on the BY before the season, seems to have been disproved (so does this mean WCBB at the upper echolon has the parity that exists on the men's side? A good thing if so to help us avoid some of the 95 - 35 sleepers)
  • I still like our chances for a NC, but it's not going to be handed to the team because of the name on the uniform

Reaction Score
It wasn't that long ago that Duke only had one win over a team with a winning record. Since then some of the teams have gotten their records to at least even. Really, really bad SOS too. They are better than they are being given opportunity to show. How much better we won't know until the NCAA barring an upset of UConn. Don't think possible wins over Maryland and UNC are going to show us much.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I think the more important point is that Duke has played a weak non-conference schedule that is beneath its talent level.

Reaction Score
Voepel had ND ranked behind Kentucky even though the large discrepancy of their performances against Baylor. She was one of the "experts" all up on Maryland last year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It wasn't that long ago that Duke only had one win over a team with a winning record. Since then some of the teams have gotten their records to at least even. Really, really bad SOS too. They are better than they are being given opportunity to show. How much better we won't know until the NCAA barring an upset of UConn. Don't think possible wins over Maryland and UNC are going to show us much.

Michigan is 12-2... Cal is 11-1....

I think FSU is the 2nd best team in the ACC..... they play at Maryland tomorrow.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

So lets see. UCONN's good win was vs. Stanford... Stanford's good win was Baylor... Baylor's was ND, and ND's obviously was vs UCONN. Personally I think we fall to 5.... no way will we be #2..... I think we are the 4th best team in the country.

Now watch Cal lose to Colorado tomorrow.. or get blown out by 50 to Stanford next week :oops:

Not having a "good" win is a lot better than having a game in which you were embarrassed. Duke should be ranked ahead of Stanford based on Stanford's really bad performance against UCONN. Stanford's win over Baylor has a big asterisk next to it and had Sims not gone down Stanford would have two losses.

Reaction Score
Michigan is 12-2... Cal is 11-1....

I think FSU is the 2nd best team in the ACC..... they play at Maryland tomorrow.

My apologies. Two teams then. The others have improved their records. I still think they have been short changed by their schedule. I think anticipation of Maryland being a top 3-5 team may have played a role in the make-up of the schedule. Most schedules have been in the works for a couple years so not sure. The big problem is if they don't compete with UConn they are going to illicit some doubts when it comes to seeding. They are likely in the same region no matter what. UConn, Baylor, Stanford and Duke have pretty much assured themselves of the most desirable regions to them no matter what the seeding.

Reaction Score
Not having a "good" win is a lot better than having a game in which you were embarrassed. Duke should be ranked ahead of Stanford based on Stanford's really bad performance against UCONN. Stanford's win over Baylor has a big asterisk next to it and had Sims not gone down Stanford would have two losses.

Maybe in your mind, but not in the mind of the pollsters. A win is a win. Ask Harvard. Duke has no good wins on the road or neutral court.

It's too early to worry about polls. We still have to play Cal twice in a week, Duke/UConn, BU/UConn and ND/UConn.

It's still BU, UConn, ND, Stanford and Duke favored for the F4, plus don't count out TN or Kentucky.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Maybe not :oops:
I watched the game and MD had a double diget lead and FSU made a great comeback only to lose late when trailing by 3. FSU is a good team. So is MD.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
#1 Baylor (Unanimous AP)
#2 Notre Dame
#3 Duke
#4 UConn
#5 Stanford

The Top 5 look to be razor close this year until proven otherwise, so I think it will be a case of "what have you done lately" with the voters unless/until real separation begins to occur. ND coming into #1's house and stealing a win has to be rewarded, as does Duke's unblemished record.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
This is not the time to be magnanimous...save it for January 21st! ;)

Duke should slide into the #3 slot tomorrow IMHO. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom