Top 3 Things You Want To See Against Iowa On Sunday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 3 Things You Want To See Against Iowa On Sunday

Reaction Score
Azzi was averaging 30 points a game. They specifically face guarded and double and triple teamed her. She had taken 62 shots in the first 3 games or approximately 21 a game. She took 13 against Duke. They prevented her touches in scoring position. She didn't go about intentionally not trying to shoot and score and just play a floor game so yes I stand by the characterization as "held" but if you prefer "limited" that's fine also. Go back and look at the expression on her face when she was taken out to see her reaction to her game.

I'm not saying her contributions in the game weren't important or substantial just that Duke came in determined to try shut her down and make everybody else beat them which is of course what happened big time. That to me is the very important take away from this game because we are going to be seeing this type of defense all year long. We have Lou, Aaliyah, Aubrey and Caroline to pick up the slack and when Caroline is Caroline again it will be electric.
I am pretty sure with the reputation Fudd came to Uconn with, it was far from the first time she was either face guarded or had defenders other than her own run at her, that is a very common occurrence at all levels of basketball. I would agree with “held” or “limited” if she fired bad shots to get her 30; she didn’t and I am pretty sure wouldn’t. It is not about how many points any one player scores, it is about your team scoring at least one more than your opponent.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Aubrey is a redshirt junior that didn’t play last year. She has rust spots on her game
She did play 2 full seasons. And presumably spent last year learning,hopefully, and healing.

Of the current players she has played the second most games, for UConn, behind only Aaliyah with 65.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I would really love to hear the details of how the recruiting went down and who we beat out in the recruiting process.
From what Lou has said in interviews, after her name was in the portal, she received a few calls but when she got a call from Storrs, it was a dream come true (paraphrasing), end of story. Not sure if she would mention any of the other schools, might seem kinda tacky to some. And I don't think that there would ever be a single tacky thing when it comes to Lou.

Reaction Score
1. Edwards keeps her focus and has another great game.
2. Griffin shot one second-thought 3 and missed last game. I want to see her confidently shoot and make some like she did at the first night celebration. It will really expand her game.
3. Keep out of foul trouble without too much impact to their defense. That might be the biggest risk to a loss.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She did play 2 full seasons. And presumably spent last year learning,hopefully, and healing.

Of the current players she has played the second most games, for UConn, behind only Aaliyah with 65.
She didn’t play or practice for a year. Heck, she wasn’t cleared to play without restriction until mid summer. You lose muscle memory in that time period.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is a redshirt junior that didn’t play last year. She has rust spots on her game
1000%. The rust spots were on the dribbling and other offensive skills. Not on the defense. Not on the athleticism. The rust will disappear soon. This has been a very grueling schedule so far so those kind of imperfections become apparent. No doubt exactly what the purpose of a schedule like this is to begin with.

Reaction Score
She didn’t play or practice for a year. Heck, she wasn’t cleared to play without restriction until mid summer. You lose muscle memory in that time period.
Absolutely. Watching isn't doing. I think her current status is pretty remarkable considering what she went through. Playing a 4 position at 6'1" and causing havoc is very impressive at this stage.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
1. The team continues to be inspired by Nika's aggressiveness.

2. Caroline continues to improve.

3. Don't overplay Clark and commit fouls. Let her get her 25 points; stop the others from scoring.

Reaction Score
Not a big deal nor a critique; I am just using you post to make a point, but I don’t really think Fudd was “held” to anything. She took the shots that showed, nothing more, nothing less. For all people shout about her points, to me, she a basketball player, and is about winning. Her 3 assists to open up the 2nd half were just as impressive to me as her 4th quarter against Texas, but that’s just me. All shooters can be hot or cold but ball players always contribute. I don’t think it’s fair to her at all to judge her strictly by points. On the flip side, same with Muhl.
I would comment that Azzi to be "held" to her 14 points as well as playing within the game. Duke grabbed her, pushed her, etc. Litterally "held." Fudd showed what a mature player she is through excellent passing, defense, and shooting when open.

Reaction Score

Of the current players she has played the second most games, for UConn, behind only Aaliyah with 6 5.
Aubrey's playing great ball right now. On fast breaks, she's always streaking down the floor looking for a pass to score on. Defensively, she's out-jumping everyone for rebounds and usually guards the opponent's best scorer. She's also stealing the ball regularly and scoring off those steals. Defensively, she's probably our best defender.
Her offense won't be mistaken for Azzi's, but she's developing a nice outside shot. Geno's even commented how her outside game has picked up. She's always been able to score off of offensive rebounds. She's a huge contributor to this fantastic team.

Reaction Score
1--- Azzi Fudd be dominant.
2--- Muhl, Edwards and Griff each of them hit multiple outside shots being efficient.
3-- Ducharme play near 30 minutes and score near 20 points.
Go Caroline! No excessive Fouls, Aaliyah! Will Yanna come into her own against 6' 3" Czinano??

Reaction Score
1 a WIN
2. Balanced scoring: like AZZI 30+, Lou 20, Aaliyah 15+ and rebounds,
Aubrey with some great run outs
3. Nika continuing her NCAA leading assists per game rate: 10++ assists per game, Go Gnat!
I must add no injuries and a nice progression in Caroline's game.

Reaction Score
Did they have a chance to do the same? I suppose it may be harder because they play consecutive days?
They’ll have time tomorrow since their games are so far apart.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The same mental errors she made her first 2 years are still there. The athleticism, muscles, is also still there.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Aubrey's playing great ball right now. On fast breaks, she's always streaking down the floor looking for a pass to score on. Defensively, she's out-jumping everyone for rebounds and usually guards the opponent's best scorer. She's also stealing the ball regularly and scoring off those steals. Defensively, she's probably our best defender.
Her offense won't be mistaken for Azzi's, but she's developing a nice outside shot. Geno's even commented how her outside game has picked up. She's always been able to score off of offensive rebounds. She's a huge contributor to this fantastic team.
Someone posted the box score from last night, she did not have the best +/- not as good as the other starters. Great is not there, overused word. Nika and Lou had the same amount of rebounds, more assists.

1669515782102.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Strong post defense, a high amount of Iowa turnovers, 30 plus transition buckets

Reaction Score
I would comment that Azzi to be "held" to her 14 points as well as playing within the game. Duke grabbed her, pushed her, etc. Litterally "held." Fudd showed what a mature player she is through excellent passing, defense, and shooting when open.
I especially liked the fact that she kept on moving despite the "holding" which resulted in double teaming and hence her open teammates. Like I said, wait until Caroline comes back-back, and we have not one but two players that can light it up besides Azzi from the guard/wing position.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure with the reputation Fudd came to Uconn with, it was far from the first time she was either face guarded or had defenders other than her own run at her, that is a very common occurrence at all levels of basketball. I would agree with “held” or “limited” if she fired bad shots to get her 30; she didn’t and I am pretty sure wouldn’t. It is not about how many points any one player scores, it is about your team scoring at least one more than your opponent.
It’s pretty clear that whether she was actually prevented from taking more shots or chose not to take them because they were not “good” shots, Duke was essentially responsible. Therefore I’m not quite sure why “held” is so inaccurate? Surely, even great players can be affected by a defense designed specifically for that player. Of course, even when this type of defensive focus successfully holds a player down, she/he is still helping her team by removing the focus on her teammates thus allowing them to score more easily. Not to mention the other areas of the game she may be able to exploit like assists, steals, rebounds etc. When we punish them as Lou and AE did, it becomes less likely that she (Azzi) will have to put up with such foolishness in future games! So, my friends, in the great circle of basketball, no action is wasted and the road leads inexorably to its expected destination, another UConn victory.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She's a senior, didn't play last year. Had a year to observe and learn. Notice Paige, on the bench and in practices.
She played 2 full seasons.
She's a red shirt Junior according to Geno.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It’s pretty clear that whether she was actually prevented from taking more shots or chose not to take them because they were not “good” shots, Duke was essentially responsible. Therefore I’m not quite sure why “held” is so inaccurate? Surely, even great players can be affected by a defense designed specifically for that player. Of course, even when this type of defensive focus successfully holds a player down, she/he is still helping her team by removing the focus on her teammates thus allowing them to score more easily. Not to mention the other areas of the game she may be able to exploit like assists, steals, rebounds etc. When we punish them as Lou and AE did, it becomes less likely that she (Azzi) will have to put up with such foolishness in future games! So, my friends, in the great circle of basketball, no action is wasted and the road leads inexorably to its expected destination, another UConn victory.
Fudd did not come to Uconn out of the woodwork, and Duke was not her first rodeo. She played completely within the context of the game. The idea that something is “wrong” because she only took 13 shots is nonsense because it wasn’t necessary in the least when you looked at the scoreboard. I can pretty much assure you that had the score been different she would have hunted more shots. I can also pretty much assure you that if more shots showed she would have taken them.
Funny, I posted several times criticizing Bueckers for only taking the same 13 shots against both Arizona 2 years ago and SC last year (in tournament years) when Uconn NEEDED her to hunt shots and you would have thought I committed blasphemy.
My final word on the subject; my definition of “held” is that a team takes a player out of the game, out of their comfort zone as a “complete” player and that did not remotely happen to Fudd against Duke. If you judge a player’s game solely by shots taken and points scored, fine she was “held” in your eyes. But I don’t judge players that way in the least. I look at how did they contribute or not within the context of that game and what is needed by the team that day. So in my eyes Duke did nothing to Fudd that prevented her from contributing in big ways other than scoring from blowing Duke off the floor. Her 3 assists to open up the 2nd half turned 12 to 19 in a flash and the rout was on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom