Top 3 Things You Want To See Against Iowa On Sunday | The Boneyard

Top 3 Things You Want To See Against Iowa On Sunday

Reaction Score
After a game where Azzi was held to 14 points but we still won convincingly, here are my top 3 things:

1) A win, by the team and for the team;

2) Azzi to come roaring back with a vengeance;

3) Our bigs to avoid cheap fouls and control the boards, especially on the defensive end so we don't give Clark extra shots.

I think we learned a lot against Duke. Let's keep on keeping on without hesitation.

Reaction Score
After the Duke game, I think I can finally relax about Caroline. She looked much better running the court and seemed much more comfortable all around. Now I mainly want to see more consistency and incremental improvement from the parts that are already coming together nicely. This means:

1. Even more and even better minutes from Caroline

2. Another double-double from Aaliyah

3. A double-double from Aubrey — and no more ridiculous ball handling errors, like picking up her dribble in the paint or anywhere else only to get trapped. Aubrey has exceeded expectations so far, and she only needs a little more awesomeness.

Reaction Score
I repeat. No.1....Keep doing what you've been doing the last 4 games! No.2......Keep doing what you've been doing the last 4 games! No.3....Keep doing what you've been doing the last 4 game! Simple advice.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
After the Duke game, I think I can finally relax about Caroline. She looked much better running the court and seemed much more comfortable all around. Now I mainly want to see more consistency and incremental improvement from the parts that are already coming together nicely. This means:

1. Even more and even better minutes from Caroline

2. Another double-double from Aaliyah

3. A double-double from Aubrey — and no more ridiculous ball handling errors, like picking up her dribble in the paint or anywhere else only to get trapped. Aubrey has exceeded expectations so far, and she only needs a little more awesomeness.
#3 she's a senior the ball handling errors and being lost on offense hasn't improved in 4 years. So yes let's see that there is no more of that.

Reaction Score
a tad off topic - saw some comments from the men’s team about how much they appreciated the women coming to their games. They said they all have a great relationship, and they could hear the women cheering for them in the stands.

Reaction Score
After a game where Azzi was held to 14 points but we still won convincingly, here are my top 3 things:

1) A win, by the team and for the team;

2) Azzi to come roaring back with a vengeance;

3) Our bigs to avoid cheap fouls and control the boards, especially on the defensive end so we don't give Clark extra shots.

I think we learned a lot against Duke. Let's keep on keeping on without hesitation.
Not a big deal nor a critique; I am just using you post to make a point, but I don’t really think Fudd was “held” to anything. She took the shots that showed, nothing more, nothing less. For all people shout about her points, to me, she a basketball player, and is about winning. Her 3 assists to open up the 2nd half were just as impressive to me as her 4th quarter against Texas, but that’s just me. All shooters can be hot or cold but ball players always contribute. I don’t think it’s fair to her at all to judge her strictly by points. On the flip side, same with Muhl.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
a tad off topic - saw some comments from the men’s team about how much they appreciated the women coming to their games. They said they all have a great relationship, and they could hear the women cheering for them in the stands.
Did they have a chance to do the same? I suppose it may be harder because they play consecutive days?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1 UCONN posts (w/Dorka?) to minimize Czinano points
2 UCONN as a team (Lou & Azzi) shoot greater than 40% 3PT
3 Continue the effective team defense
3.1 Nika 12 assists

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Win
Caroline seeing a jump shot go down
Foul free Ayanna
oh, and NO high-fiving Dorka

-note: I don't know that Azzi was "held" to 14 as much as she decided that was the right number for that game. We mostly need Azzi, Nika, Lou, Aliyah, and Aubrey to just keep doing what they do.

Reaction Score
Not a big deal nor a critique; I am just using you post to make a point, but I don’t really think Fudd was “held” to anything. She took the shots that showed, nothing more, nothing less. For all people shout about her points, to me, she a basketball player, and is about winning. Her 3 assists to open up the 2nd half were just as impressive to me as her 4th quarter against Texas, but that’s just me. All shooters can be hot or cold but ball players always contribute. I don’t think it’s fair to her at all to judge her strictly by points. On the flip side, same with Muhl.
Azzi was averaging 30 points a game. They specifically face guarded and double and triple teamed her. She had taken 62 shots in the first 3 games or approximately 21 a game. She took 13 against Duke. They prevented her touches in scoring position. She didn't go about intentionally not trying to shoot and score and just play a floor game so yes I stand by the characterization as "held" but if you prefer "limited" that's fine also. Go back and look at the expression on her face when she was taken out to see her reaction to her game.

I'm not saying her contributions in the game weren't important or substantial just that Duke came in determined to try shut her down and make everybody else beat them which is of course what happened big time. That to me is the very important take away from this game because we are going to be seeing this type of defense all year long. We have Lou, Aaliyah, Aubrey and Caroline to pick up the slack and when Caroline is Caroline again it will be electric.

Reaction Score
1) Nika and Aubrey (and company) making Caitlin work her butt off to score or assist
2) Aaliyah, Caroline, Ayanna (and company) pushing Czinano out of her comfort zone
3) Nika serving up great dishes and Azzi, Lou (and company) all eating till they bust!

The Thanksgiving feast isn't over!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Azzi was averaging 30 points a game. They specifically face guarded and double and triple teamed her. She had taken 62 shots in the first 3 games or approximately 21 a game. She took 13 against Duke. They prevented her touches in scoring position. She didn't go about intentionally not trying to shoot and score and just play a floor game so yes I stand by the characterization as "held" but if you prefer "limited" that's fine also. Go back and look at the expression on her face when she was taken out to see her reaction to her game.

I'm not saying her contributions in the game weren't important or substantial just that Duke came in determined to try shut her down and make everybody else beat them which is of course what happened big time. That to me is the very important take away from this game because we are going to be seeing this type of defense all year long. We have Lou, Aaliyah, Aubrey and Caroline to pick up the slack and when Caroline is Caroline again it will be electric.
That's a fair observation and a good argument. I do think she could've gone for more if she wanted to hunt shots, but probably to the detriment of the rest of our offense and I'm glad she didn't do that. It's certainly fair to say that Azzi scoring only 14 is a result of choices made by Duke -- I just don't think it's a game she needs to "roar back" from.

Reaction Score
1) Caroline getting double-digit points
2) Ayanna not getting so many fouls so quickly. Not sure what needs to change- is she just getting too close so contact and a foul are inevitable? At 6’2, she gives up height against tall posts- if she can back off a little and not lean in so aggressively, she’ll do better.
3) Aubrey getting the defensive assignment for Clark and holding her to 15-20 points

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
she's a junior who didn't play or practice as a sophomore
She's a senior, didn't play last year. Had a year to observe and learn. Notice Paige, on the bench and in practices.
She played 2 full seasons.

Reaction Score
1. Controlling Czinano without fouling out our bigs. She has added a foul line jumper to her arsenal as well as her low block jump hooks. We need to run her on defense.
2. Pressure Clark with multiple players. I think Aubrey will start on her or Nika. We have forced her into bad shots. She likes to score 30 a game and will force if we hold her.
3. Run on offense and get good shots. We are better then them. Lets show them!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom