Top 25 Analysis: Season Preview | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top 25 Analysis: Season Preview

Reaction Score
Theirs nothing to listen to. I’m not saying it’s unbelievable but name somebody. Tell us what somebody did. Give us some tiny shred of evidence.

At this point, it’s all just whining about losing players to the portals.

“THEY” are tampering with my players.

Anybody can accuse the vast conspiratorial THEY of anything.
Its pretty obvious a particular SEC school was tampering way before some of these players entered the portal and openly giving portal players illegal benefits. We will see if the NCAA will address the elephant in the room.

Reaction Score
Its pretty obvious a particular SEC school was tampering way before some of these players entered the portal and openly giving portal players illegal benefits. We will see if the NCAA will address the elephant in the room.
Which school?

Which player(s)?

What evidence of tampering before portal exists?

What “illegal benefits?

What Elephant in what room?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Caitlin is super polished, really great to listen to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which school?

Which player(s)?

What evidence of tampering before portal exists?

What “illegal benefits?

What Elephant in what room?
I know that Belmont ( or M Tennessee) complained of tampering, and then shortly thereafter one of their better players announced transferring to TN. I’m not saying there was tampering but certainly the implication was there.
Whichever school it was I think they lost two players to the portal.

Reaction Score
I know that Belmont ( or M Tennessee) complained of tampering, and then shortly thereafter one of their better players announced transferring to TN. I’m not saying there was tampering but certainly the implication was there.
So, their complaint was about some school - maybe Tennessee, maybe not.

What is tampering? Did Kellie pat a player on the butt and say "good game" after MTSU played UT last year? Did she text her? EMail? Phone calls? Was it even Tennessee? Has a tampering complaint be filed with the NCAA?

Yes, I can see this as a potential problem but I think we all need more info before we judge.

Reaction Score
So, their complaint was about some school - maybe Tennessee, maybe not.

What is tampering? Did Kellie pat a player on the butt and say "good game" after MTSU played UT last year? Did she text her? EMail? Phone calls? Was it even Tennessee? Has a tampering complaint be filed with the NCAA?

Yes, I can see this as a potential problem but I think we all need more info before we judge.
For the record, I am not judging what went on or didn’t. I am only kind of remembering the scuttle butt at the time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It was Belmont. They lost another player to Baylor.

I'm fairly sure their coach complained of tampering before either of his players even entered their names in the portal.

Reaction Score

I'm fairly sure their coach complained of tampering before either of his players even entered their names in the portal.
It was their assistant

It was assistant head coach Jamey Givens. Here is his tweet.

Reaction Score
Kansas predicted to be #3 in conference? How good were they last season? I don't remember much buzz from last year so it strikes me as odd that they would jump so high in between seasons.

Reaction Score
They’ll finish behind SC, TN, Miss St

This is what happens when you recruit for name instead of needs…
I wish, but realistically I think LSU is best SEC team and is a threat to win NC again.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kansas predicted to be #3 in conference? How good were they last season? I don't remember much buzz from last year so it strikes me as odd that they would jump so high in between seasons.
Won the WNIT last year. That often springboards a team to greater success the next season, although I think they lost quite a few players. I could be wrong about that though.

Reaction Score

Media Day was held today for the Big 10 conference. My main takeaways were:

Really happy for Ashley Owusu. Seems like a new start for her, and it's cool that she was chosen as one of the athletes to represent her new school. Made me a bit more excited about Penn State, who have a pretty decent schedule to start the season (St Johns, Kansas, USC all before Thanksgiving).

I liked to hear Diana Collins mentioned by Coach Mcguff as a potential impact player. She's 5'9, athletic. Of course she's only a freshman but she got some good experience this summer playing in the FIBA U20 Women's European Championship. Mcguff did mention that Madison Greene probably won't play to start the season but they hope to have her back by sometime in November. Last thing on OSU that stood out was McGuff mentioning that Celeste Taylor will have a bit of offensive freedom that may allow her to showcase her skills more on that end. It's just interesting because she came from two defense heavy programs and everyone has mentioned how much she's going to fit in on the defensive end. But it would be great if she comes back as a 5th year with improved offense.

I've always liked Teri Moren, but I really liked what she said about Yarden Garzon at 6'3 using her size a little more and becoming better at posting up and her back to the basket game. She was so lights out shooting the ball from the perimeter and has great passing skills. But Moren wants her to add the physicality, sort've like what Grace Berger had to her game. I thought that was interesting.

Nebraska, under the radar?! That's kind of what was said during their interview. I was kind of caught off guard by that one. I like Jaz Shelley but am concerned about their lack of depth. They do get Allison Weidner back which was probably a big reason why they did not make the tournament last year.

Only other subtle thing I caught was Kim Barnes Arico, said something to the effect of, this year will be a different year for us. They are still picked to finish top 5, and they still have Laila Phelia, but sounds like there is not quite the same type of expectations. I feel like at the beginning of last year they had big expectations, even to be better than they had been the previous years, and Michigan was a really fun watch last year, despite losing somewhat early in the tournament. I may be reaching, but I actually thought since they picked up some veterans in the portal, and had some good returners that the expectations will remain high. Are they now a fringe tournament team?

Reaction Score
Umm.. Oregon remains quite tall:
Kyei 6'8"
Basham: 6'7"
Van Slooten 6'3"
Rambus 6'3"
Tillander 6'1"
But it is the increased height at wing and guard that stands as a difference from last year:
Priscilla Williams 6'2"
Sofia Bell 6'1"
Sammie Wagner 6'1"

But I imagine they will play with a 5'9" Chance Gray and another 5'8-5'9" guard.
Before the two walk-on players joined the Terps this month, all but one Terp player was listed at 6 feet or taller. The problem for the Terps is only one Terp is list taller than 6'2 and she is a project.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

They were all set to earn an NCAA tournament at-large bid; then, they got upset by a dismal TCU team (whose head coach was fired/resigned) in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. They were 7th in the 10-team conference and had an overall 25-11 record.

They return 3 fifth-year seniors who have started a lot of games.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Will Moore be back to play enough games? She tore her acl last year.

She did tear her ACL in early December 2022. I think they will hold her out until at least December 2023 before she sees any game action.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Media Day was held today for the Big 10 conference. My main takeaways were:

Really happy for Ashley Owusu. Seems like a new start for her, and it's cool that she was chosen as one of the athletes to represent her new school. Made me a bit more excited about Penn State, who have a pretty decent schedule to start the season (St Johns, Kansas, USC all before Thanksgiving).

I liked to hear Diana Collins mentioned by Coach Mcguff as a potential impact player. She's 5'9, athletic. Of course she's only a freshman but she got some good experience this summer playing in the FIBA U20 Women's European Championship. Mcguff did mention that Madison Greene probably won't play to start the season but they hope to have her back by sometime in November. Last thing on OSU that stood out was McGuff mentioning that Celeste Taylor will have a bit of offensive freedom that may allow her to showcase her skills more on that end. It's just interesting because she came from two defense heavy programs and everyone has mentioned how much she's going to fit in on the defensive end. But it would be great if she comes back as a 5th year with improved offense.

I've always liked Teri Moren, but I really liked what she said about Yarden Garzon at 6'3 using her size a little more and becoming better at posting up and her back to the basket game. She was so lights out shooting the ball from the perimeter and has great passing skills. But Moren wants her to add the physicality, sort've like what Grace Berger had to her game. I thought that was interesting.

Nebraska, under the radar?! That's kind of what was said during their interview. I was kind of caught off guard by that one. I like Jaz Shelley but am concerned about their lack of depth. They do get Allison Weidner back which was probably a big reason why they did not make the tournament last year.

Only other subtle thing I caught was Kim Barnes Arico, said something to the effect of, this year will be a different year for us. They are still picked to finish top 5, and they still have Laila Phelia, but sounds like there is not quite the same type of expectations. I feel like at the beginning of last year they had big expectations, even to be better than they had been the previous years, and Michigan was a really fun watch last year, despite losing somewhat early in the tournament. I may be reaching, but I actually thought since they picked up some veterans in the portal, and had some good returners that the expectations will remain high. Are they now a fringe tournament team?

Cool to see Owusu was chosen. Hope things work out better for her in Happy Valley. During her sophomore year at Maryland she was can't miss TV.

Reaction Score
Cool to see Owusu was chosen. Hope things work out better for her in Happy Valley. During her sophomore year at Maryland she was can't miss TV.
It started with the 2020 Big 10 tournament. She was brilliant. It's like she's a totally different player now.

Reaction Score
They were all set to earn an NCAA tournament at-large bid; then, they got upset by a dismal TCU team (whose head coach was fired/resigned) in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. They were 7th in the 10-team conference and had an overall 25-11 record.

They return 3 fifth-year seniors who have started a lot of games.
Vandy played at Kansas two years ago. They were good, but what really struck me was their size. They were big.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom