Top 10 UConn Big East Games Of All Time (Blog) | The Boneyard

Top 10 UConn Big East Games Of All Time (Blog)

Reaction Score
PC fans, do you notice there are no UConn-PC games on that list or on the honorable mentions list? You know why? Because PC and UConn have never been really good at the same time (mostly PC's fault :) ). This is why in one of those other threads a couple months ago I tried to explain that UConn-PC can't really be a rivalry until both teams are very good and they play in important games. And each team wins their fair share of those games.

Reaction Score
PC fans, do you notice there are no UConn-PC games on that list or on the honorable mentions list? You know why? Because PC and UConn have never been really good at the same time (mostly PC's fault :) ). This is why in one of those other threads a couple months ago I tried to explain that UConn-PC can't really be a rivalry until both teams are very good and they play in important games. And each team wins their fair share of those games.

True, sort of. It’s still a rivalry. The games are tough and PC fans are hilarious Italian/Irish characters that clearly didn’t go to PC. I love the atmosphere there and the games in CT are always battles.

Reaction Score
True, sort of. It’s still a rivalry. The games are tough and PC fans are hilarious Italian/Irish characters that clearly didn’t go to PC. I love the atmosphere there and the games in CT are always battles.
When we were both in the BE before did you consider it a rivalry? I never did.

Reaction Score
uconn -pitt imo

and i’m old. i hung out in a dorm with donyell

Reaction Score
All great games even though we lost a couple of those. I miss the UConn-Pitt games. That was a fun rivalry. It seemed like we played so many high stakes games vs Pitt. The 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2011 Big East Tournament games are the obvious ones that come to mind. 2003 was bad, and I remember being so dejected after that one, but they always played us tough, and thats what made those games so great.

Reaction Score
All great games even though we lost a couple of those. I miss the UConn-Pitt games. That was a fun rivalry. It seemed like we played so many high stakes games vs Pitt. The 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2011 Big East Tournament games are the obvious ones that come to mind. 2003 was bad, and I remember being so dejected after that one, but they always played us tough, and thats what made those games so great.
Speaking of which, the other one I would maybe put up here as an honorable mention would be the UConn/Pitt game when El Amin jumped on the scorer’s table after the game ended...a classic!

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
Nice list but it's kind of cheating mixing BET games with regular season games. I'd love to see a list of only regular season games
Felt that same way while making the list, I really like that idea

Reaction Score
When we were both in the BE before did you consider it a rivalry? I never did.

I think I did. Not like Syracuse or the good Pitt teams, but more a rivalry due to proximity and history.

Reaction Score
St John opening the Dome, El-Amin's at Pitt, Uconn Georgetown in Hartford the Dream Season, and Nadav was being harassed by Morning, and Nadav just points up to the score board and smiles. Every BE game the Dream season was watching the climb of the Beast of East. I think we only lost one home game that year to Villanova, then went on to spank them at their building.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. I gotta put UConn/G’town from 1990 at Civic Center. That was our coming out party
Loudest ever there

The weekend before we had beaten Syracuse -- so the HCC was at a fevered pitch from the beginning. I've always felt that was the most exhilarating.moment (at that point) in UConn history. It was virginal territory to be such a national player.

Reaction Score
For us older folks
The wins over highly rated Georgetown and Syracuse in The Dream Season at the HCC would be In my top ten especially regular season . UConn never played that kind of pressure defense against that kind of talent before or since.
Georgetown had Mourning and Matumbo. We didn’t really have a 5 which was amazing.
Those games lifted JC to legendary status.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, the Pitt fans taunted Khalid unmercifully throughout that game. The final moments were especially redeeming for him.
You remember correctly.

Reaction Score

This clip tells me that there will be a rivalry now.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You are not old. I remember watching Dan Hesford - The Spider
Wes B., Penders, Holowaty all in my class Hesford was a piece of work. He lived in the Towers where I lived. He was fun to watch. Had an occasional big scoring game but he was the ace defender. He had the perfect nickname. He’s the one player I can think of who could seem to move in 3 directions at once on D.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dan's son and mine went through the Clinton school system together and played on the same Little League team. Spider and I coached it. Now THAT'S old!
Nice. He is one of my all time favorites. Nobody played harder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom