Too much Cuse hate on this board | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Too much Cuse hate on this board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure any school really dents Westchester, Putnam or Dutchess outside of whatever Iona, Army and Marist get, but to the extent it does, it's more UConn than Rutgers.

Syracuse doesn't exist here - it's 275 miles away. The Connecticut border is eight miles from my office in southern Westchester.

Reaction Score
If there is a border between Cuse and UConn fanbases, it isn't drawn at the New York City limits. Add in Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess counties for UConn; give Rockland, Orange, and Sullivan counties (at least) to Rutgers; and don't forget that PSU beats Cuse in most of the upstate counties. If PSU doesn't take Erie county Buffalo does. I could see giving Cuse Onondaga county.

PSU is close to the Southern Tier but upstate outside of Syracuse doesn't really care at all about college sports. Binghamton might root for Cuse too since it's close--that I don't really know, but I have experience in Albany, Rochester and Buffalo. Of the 3 cities, Albany is the only one that took even a remote interest in syracuse, and I'd say that interest was pretty low. If I walked into a sports bar on a Saturday afternoon in Rochester, say the Distillery or Jillian's, you would see college football games, but not the BE. No one seemed to care. In Buffalo, there is some very mild interest in U. Buffalo, and that interest is far bigger than any interest in PSU and Syracuse. That's not saying much however since there is next to zero interest in those teams.

I haven't really figured out this town yet and I've been here for a decade. Near as I can tell, it's a very Catholic town that likes St. Bonaventure bball, wishes Canisius would get its act together, and wonders why only a handful of local students are being admitted to U. Buffalo anymore. Syracuse is not even an afterthought here.

I saw something interesting in the recent NHL Stanley Cup. After Boston and Chicago, Buffalo had the highest viewership across the nation, with a solid 10 rating. That is pretty good when the region is fixed to the TV for a series in which the local team isn't even playing. Those are Canadian numbers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This post was like a moth lamp for all the crazies. Yea, there are some over-the-top guys on the Cuse fan board that are way to giddy about ACC. True. But look at yourselves. I mean, you’ve become RUTGERS boosters, bragging about their Piscataway attendance. Let that one sink in. Rutgers!

I’ve lived in NYC for 10 years since college (not SU alum by the way) and I’ve never seen a strong UConn presence. Maybe ya’ll live in the Bronx. As far as SU being one head coach away from irrelevancy, I guess it takes one to know one. And some of the posts on here about cable TV metrics remind me of the guy in junior high school that thinks just buying trendy clothes will make him cool. You’ve got to be genuine too. SU ain’t ND…but we do have an identity and a history going back 60+ years in both BB and FB. Don’t need to list it all here. Worst mistake UConn can make is to think sending Delaney a powerpoint of cable TV subscribers per capita in CT and a plan for AAU admission will lead to a B1G invite. IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT THAT! (Rutgers is the exception that proves the rule, and you bet B1G has some buyer’s remorse on that one). Build your athletic identity. What do you stand for? What have you done? Not statistics…not # of BCS bids…but what would make an opposing fan interested in UConn visiting? What would they chat about in the pregame parking lot over a six-pack? During a lead-in segment to a game, what clips would ESPN show to help educate viewers “This is UConn”? Kemba’s shots. Calhoun on the sidelines. Need more stuff like that. Especially in FB.

I do think in 10 years there’s a decent shot UConn and SU are back in the same conference. I’ve learned way too much about internal ACC politics the past year. The notion that “BC blocked Uconn” is nonsense. 3 schools run the ACC: UVA, UNC, and FSU. It sucks that SU is no longer a conference leader. Someone smart said awhile ago that two facts led to the ACC GOR: 1) The SEC didn’t want FSU, 2) UNC didn’t want the B1G. That’s it. Everything else is noise. UNC thinks they’re the Texas of the east coast, they’ll doing everything they can to avoid going to another conference. And if a couple of the southern schools bolt eventually…they’ll take UConn to keep the ACC viable. BC wouldn’t even be able to get Swoffy’s secretary on the phone.

So with the “go home fruit” replies out of the way, curious if any thoughtful Uconn fans have considered all this.

PS - New York State population: 20 million. NYC population: 9 million. Nassau+Suffolk county population: 3 million. Therefore, upstate New York = 8 million. State of CT = 4 million. Not that I think it's all about eyeballs, but even without a single metro NY fan, Cuse has a fan base that will serve it just fine.
Wow 20 million people in NYS all not watching Syracuse sports. That has to hurt.

Reaction Score

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Hey adbern7, what were you saying about their being "too much cuse hate"? If anything theremisny enough. The fans of that bitter program take any opportunity to take stabs at UConn to make themselves feel better for decades of "falling short" and choking. Why don't you actually take a look at your own board and look at the senseless "F UConn" circlejerks that go on daily.

IN FACT, HERES ONE THAT STARTED JUST A FEW HOURS AGO.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/congratulations-uconn.53956/

Those guys are pathetic, making weekly threads about how great it is for UConn to not be in the ACC, a serious case of overcompensation for something they truly long for deep down, real success in sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How dumb are Syracuse students? At the UConn/Maryland game at the Carrier Dome a Syracuse student argued to me that the Maryland terrapin isn't a turtle.

Reaction Score
Nope

I just hate Syracuse. They play in a Mausoleum ... deferred maintenance all over ... and I can't see much of a future there. Swofford, again, went with 1955-1994 ... can't seem to have vision. (and no comments by you about BE leaders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom