Too Many Minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Too Many Minutes

Reaction Score
I actually remember a conference game 2 years ago where Geno made 2 line ups combining the starters and the bench which got the bench playing at the start to get the point across that the bench needed to contribute more and see who stepped up. Maybe it's time to pull that trick out again....

Reaction Score
i
First --you were sort of clear.
I keep using Charde as my example because she stands out, but there were others. He then had nearly todays standards but he modified his PT requirment because Charde was the ONLY consistent scorer available with that team. So she played. His standards were not in concrete as many think--he was pragmatic---either lose (Geno hates to lose) or use one he had little respect for in effort, practice, etc--he chose the latter.

My take, as invalid as it may be, is: Geno has choice; use what's available, even accepting the unacceptable or live with the 6 playing many minutes as he brings along the frosh/Sophs slowly.
If he expects them to be game ready in March (6 weeks away) the end 6 or so need REAL game, not clean up time, experience.
A poster stated the dilemma is a moral question: Once you, as their leader, dictates a manner, criteria, for obtaining PT---if you slide back, your word gets to mean little. That I understand.
Still standards are adjustable-- Geno has mellowed from 15 years ago--accept the current PT crunch or trust the new guys. Tough dilemma.
We’re on the same page. Likewise, I think Geno’s public comments make clear he too views this as a choice.

I think his comments after the Texas game do not mean he will “slide back,” rather that he will be open to seeing renewed efforts and attitudes from those he chose not to play against Texas.

With regard to the Charde example, my recollection is that Geno’s choice to stick with her despite the frustrations she caused him was made in large part out of his sympathy and empathy with the extraordinarily difficult childhood she endured prior to coming to Storrs.

I may well be wrong but I don’t believe Geno will sacrifice his principles at least in this situation in favor of pragmatism. My opinion is he will view any such sacrifice as a greater defeat than any loss of a basketball game he and the team might suffer this season, even if such loss occurs in the NCAA Tournament

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
To me this is a logic Either/Or issue.
If you need to reduce the minutes played by the core 6 then you either play frosh/soph who don't FULLY meet your value system OR you accept the status quo. Simple. No moral issue--but accept one and move on.

I agree with your either/or logic, but am not convinced by the paths to "either" and "or" that you described, because I trust Geno, based on his track record, that he would find a way to bring 1 or 2 bench players to fully meet his expectations (especially MW at this point, but also KI to some extent).

Reaction Score
It seems to me Geno is saying it is up to him when he says I’ve got to figure out a way to rectify this. It also seems to me however Geno is simultaneously saying to those not getting playing time that the opportunities for playing time remain open to them and in fact will be forthcoming but they have to work for them in the same way all others did before them for the past 30+ years he has coached the team. Some here disagree and believe he needs to loosen his standards lest the wheels fall off the bus in terms of the starters plus Stevens tiring, tremendously talented underclasswomen transferring, and highly sought after recruits choosing other programs. Although of course I don’t know, I believe Geno and CD would respond by saying diluting the

Reaction Score
I'm sure I remember correctly that Geno started the bench in a conference game a couple of years ago.

Reaction Score
It seems to me Geno is saying it is up to him when he says I’ve got to figure out a way to rectify this. It also seems to me however Geno is simultaneously saying to those not getting playing time that the opportunities for playing time remain open to them and in fact will be forthcoming but they have to work for them in the same way all others did before them for the past 30+ years he has coached the team. Some here disagree and believe he needs to loosen his standards lest the wheels fall off the bus in terms of the starters plus Stevens tiring, tremendously talented underclasswomen transferring, and highly sought after recruits choosing other programs. Although of course I don’t know, I believe Geno and CD would respond by saying diluting the standards long established at UConn would not serve the program either in terms of obtaining more National Championships or dare I say even more importantly in terms of teaching and instilling the values they believe will serve these women best during the remainder of their lives.

Geno without a doubt was saying HE had to determine how to fix the tired legs by his core 6---He and He alone can fix this if it is fixed. ]
What many are incredulous about is that it took Geno 8 weeks into the season to see what many BYer saw as the season began . He is the MASTER--the master KNOWs--so why now state the obvious? Because Texas took them to the wire?? W hy? Obviously, Genos record speaks for itself--but it is the RECORD speaking not tired legs of the current crew.
Geno stated a problem most of us are now addressing--he brought up the subject--we didn't. If he has the problem he, himself/Geno surfaced--then he had essentially 2 choices---Play 6 for long minutes and hope some how some where 3 frosh and 2 sophs will fall in line and perform to his standards---question: why have they NOT performed to that level up to this time? Is it logical to now think it will all magically change? Media message after media message has been sent by Geno to this bench 5--why have they not gotten the message? Surely Walker and AEH early on got some level of message because they got PT time in big games. Coombs could have heard at one time because she appeared in clean up. What does it take??

Reaction Score
Go back to 15-16 season when freshman Nurse replaced junior Chong. If the weakest starter today were on the level of Saniya of November 2015, might it be likely we'd see a lot of Megan Walker? Could Megan enter a game and bring as much value as Kia did as a freshman? Is the quality of the "starting six" (when fresh) blocking playing time for several quite capable others?

One other note... I am very impressed with the improvement in Kyla's and Molly's games since a year ago. Especially Kyla, but both of them. Suggests to me that players develop greatly in practice and the UConn coaching continues to be outstanding.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure there will be any recruiting repercussions if things continue as they are with the bench....I don't see MW running away from this challenge and the same for MC.....Christyn Williams is so advanced offensively that I'm pretty sure she will see minutes from day one next season and the truly great recruits will always believe that they can play their way into any lineup....
Have you not read the comments---it's not about Talent---it's about how you practice. Do you believe a little ole Arkansan child would be more ready than a sophisticated Richmond lady.
Answer this---would you have said the same thing last fall had Megan Walker been part of a similar discussion? Repeating your last sentence: Truly great recruits will always believed that they can PLAY their way into any line up!!! Hmm Is Walker in that discussion? Or are you alluding that CW will have to "prove" herself in practices??
Note: Kia's frosh year--Chong got high ratings from Geno for her superlative practicing---then sat. Just more proof --it's not talent that gets PT (so they say)

Reaction Score
We’re on the same page. Likewise, I think Geno’s public comments make clear he too views this as a choice.

I think his comments after the Texas game do not mean he will “slide back,” rather that he will be open to seeing renewed efforts and attitudes from those he chose not to play against Texas.

With regard to the Charde example, my recollection is that Geno’s choice to stick with her despite the frustrations she caused him was made in large part out of his sympathy and empathy with the extraordinarily difficult childhood she endured prior to coming to Storrs.

I may well be wrong but I don’t believe Geno will sacrifice his principles at least in this situation in favor of pragmatism. My opinion is he will view any such sacrifice as a greater defeat than any loss of a basketball game he and the team might suffer this season, even if such loss occurs in the NCAA Tournament
]\
If Geno had such sympathy for Charde--why in her home coming game was she kept out until the second half? No the video of the car living Charde came about her junior year, not early on.

Reaction Score
Have you not read the comments---it's not about Talent---it's about how you practice. Do you believe a little ole Arkansan child would be more ready than a sophisticated Richmond lady.
Answer this---would you have said the same thing last fall had Megan Walker been part of a similar discussion? Repeating your last sentence: Truly great recruits will always believed that they can PLAY their way into any line up!!! Hmm Is Walker in that discussion? Or are you alluding that CW will have to "prove" herself in practices??
Note: Kia's frosh year--Chong got high ratings from Geno for her superlative practicing---then sat. Just more proof --it's not talent that gets PT (so they say)

Yes CW is more advanced offensively both with her outside shooting and driving to the basket................... how about being talented at practicing?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So this topic has come up every year as long as I've been on the boneyard. Every year there is angst about minutes. Someone is getting too many. Someone needs to get more. An interesting topic with many aspects and angles. I will say that overall, Geno hasn't fundamentally changed the way he doles out minutes and it's not likely he will changes before he retires. (So you're saying there's a chance!)

Anyway the op immediately reminded me of a favorite scene in an enjoyable movie and I couldn't resist. No offense intended to anyone, just providing a little (some would say very little) humor to the discussion....

Reaction Score
I think AEH would have helped a great deal with 3s against Texas, but Que Sara Sara...................

Reaction Score
I think AEH would have helped a great deal with 3s against Texas, but Que Sara Sara....

I don't think a freshman, playing on the road, in front of 12,000 people, in one of the most intimidating atmospheres, against the #9 team in the country, while averaging only 7 min/game, and has made all of 4 three point field goals all year, would have "helped a great deal"!

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I actually remember a conference game 2 years ago where Geno made 2 line ups combining the starters and the bench which got the bench playing at the start to get the point across that the bench needed to contribute more and see who stepped up. Maybe it's time to pull that trick out again....
Welcome!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You think a freshman, playing on the road, in front of 12,000 people, in one of the most intimidating atmospheres, against the #9 team in the country, while averaging only 7 min/game, and has made all of 4 three point field goals all year, would have "helped a great deal"?
Can you say that without the sarcasm?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We see eye to eye on this one and , frankly, it does not bode well in the recruiting wars if Geno fails in this mission. I wonder if she has a player mentor?
Rocky-I think you are on to something here and have me thinking down the path (and maybe on different option) that while the core 5 have all suffered the same travails that these subs are facing, maybe they haven't figured out how to be strong mentors to help them through this. I remember Stewie having to pull KLS aside to help her during that funk. If players aren't getting it in practice, we have 5 who are so why isn't there more communication on this? To me, this weeks starting lineup comments addressing what Geno pointed out is the first public effort to mentor the players, now comes the time to privately mentor them. The other curious thing to me is we have a rather large team vs. past years so sub-groups could exist. I mean, each class used to have 2 or at most 3 players in it and only the Stewart, Moriah and Tuck class kept all 3 all 4 years. Soniya was a class of 1 so she had to acclimate with upper class teammates to assimilate. Gabby and Kia were a class of 4 but Sadie immediately left, Courtney was hurt initially and then she left. KLS and Napheesa were with Boykin who immediately left so they too had to assimilate. Bent, Crystal Dangerfield and Kyla while on a small team had 2 transfers around waiting and is where we see some "longer struggles" in getting "it". Crystal Dangerfield didn't rise as quickly as Stewie, KLS, Kia but more like Gabby, Moriah. With 4 new player added into the mix this year, the four could keep to themselves more often than not and that may be creating the less than stellar mentoring.
Team dynamics matter and even though they are always together, a group of 13 vs. a group of 9/10 bond differently.

The one irritation I have with Geno, to be frank, is "star" players who can make a difference should get better communication due the upside they present-think DT, Stewie and KLS. MW should be getting this same expectation and communication sort of what Z is currently getting. Geno has to leverage his very experienced staff and evolve both MW and Z. Add Mikayla in as well because next year we lose Kia and will need a system experienced guard while CW figures it out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So this topic has come up every year as long as I've been on the boneyard. Every year there is angst about minutes. Someone is getting too many. Someone needs to get more. An interesting topic with many aspects and angles. I will say that overall, Geno hasn't fundamentally changed the way he doles out minutes and it's not likely he will changes before he retires. (So you're saying there's a chance!)

Anyway the op immediately reminded me of a favorite scene in an enjoyable movie and I couldn't resist. No offense intended to anyone, just providing a little (some would say very little) humor to the discussion....

LOL. Well, Geno has cut a note and hopefully we'll like the music more henceforth.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The one irritation I have with Geno, to be frank, is "star" players who can make a difference should get better communication due the upside they present-think DT, Stewie and KLS. MW should be getting this same expectation and communication sort of what Z is currently getting. Geno has to leverage his very experienced staff and evolve both MW and Z. Add Mikayla in as well because next year we lose Kia and will need a system experienced guard while CW figures it out.
What have you seen that makes you think Meg isn’t getting that communication?

“Obviously, she’s really talented,” Auriemma said. “Everybody knows that. This is the perfect game. Hopefully, this week we can get her in some kind of rhythm where she feels like, this is what I do — I rebound, I try to become a better defender, and I try to get myself involved offensively in a lot of different ways.”

UConn Notebook: Megan Walker Regains Her Energy

If Geno says this stuff to reporters, why wouldn’t he say it to Meg?

Reaction Score
What have you seen that makes you think Meg isn’t getting that communication?

“Obviously, she’s really talented,” Auriemma said. “Everybody knows that. This is the perfect game. Hopefully, this week we can get her in some kind of rhythm where she feels like, this is what I do — I rebound, I try to become a better defender, and I try to get myself involved offensively in a lot of different ways.”

UConn Notebook: Megan Walker Regains Her Energy

If Geno says this stuff to reporters, why wouldn’t he say it to Meg?

I don't understand this Geno does not talk to his players nonsense. Why are people so sure there is no communication?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno's Philly talk had him explaining how "kids today" have difficulty figuring things out because up to now they got all their answers from the thing glued to their hand - the cell phone/internet device. "We make them check it at the door."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

How the heck did I miss this one???

Reaction Score
In all my years of watching I don't remember one single freshman that didn't have issues (real or perceived) or didn't incur the "wrath" of the coaches. Not one. The most recent that comes to mind was Stewie. Stewie - who started clicking on all cylinders during tournament time.

In Geno I trust.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Gee.....everybody including the coach just came to the realization that the starters are playing too many minutes?

Some here have been preaching that since last Summer..there's simply no need to play the starters in the fourth quarter (even half of the third) of a game when you're up by more then 20 points..not utilizing the bench has been a major issue here for quite some time also......hopefully we'll see some growth from the bench players in the coming weeks if they start playing substantial minutes.....
That's just what I was thinking. Whenever KLS comes back from an injury, there she is: out there playing late in the game with a 30+ point lead!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In all my years of watching I don't remember one single freshman that didn't have issues (real or perceived) or didn't incur the "wrath" of the coaches. Not one. The most recent that comes to mind was Stewie. Stewie - who started clicking on all cylinders during tournament time.
In Geno I trust.
I remember several.....
Renee Montgomery
Caroline Doty
Kelly Faris
Kia Nurse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads