Too Many Minutes | The Boneyard

Too Many Minutes

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is hoping Geno and the bench can get on the same page in the 6 weeks remaining.

“Our guys play too many minutes, that's all there is to it,” Auriemma said. “It's not their fault. I've got to figure out a way to rectify that.”

“I know I'm undersized,” said Gabby Williams, who led UConn with 11 rebounds. “And we don't have the height a lot of teams have. But I think we have something else. We have some athleticism. I hope that we can get some more edge and just be quicker.”

Mass of miscellaneous stats at the end of this piece. UConn Women Will Have To Work On Rebounding, Rotation

Reaction Score
Gee..........everybody including the coach just came to the realization that the starters are playing too many minutes?

Some here have been preaching that since last Summer............there's simply no need to play the starters in the fourth quarter (even half of the third) of a game when you're up by more then 20 points............not utilizing the bench has been a major issue here for quite some time also...........hopefully we'll see some growth from the bench players in the coming weeks if they start playing substantial minutes..........

Reaction Score
I think what Geno is doing is signaling to Megan that there's an opportunity for a mid-season reboot of sorts. She's clearly having some motivational problems right now and it needs to be turned around before the third phase of the season is upon us.

She has the potential to become one of the great ones, and it's highly desirable that the current funk she's in ends sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
I think what Geno is doing is signaling to Megan that there's an opportunity for a mid-season reboot of sorts. She's clearly having some motivational problems right now and it needs to be turned around before the third phase of the season is upon us.

We all know she has the opportunity to become one of the great ones, and the current funk she's in needs to come to an end.
Not sure why some guess at what's inside an 18/19 year old's head. Suggest we stay on sidelines for this topic.

Reaction Score
Earlier in the season, folks were griping about the incredible shrinking MOV in the 4th quarter when Geno put in his subs. Coach was also unhappy, so he started being judicious about how many inexperienced players he used at the end of games. There was always a starter or two remaining until the end to maintain stability and salvage the work of the regulars. Finally, in a game that could tolerate no inexperienced players, Geno went with his 6 best. He obviously did not want to take the chance of losing. There's plenty of opportunity during AAC contests for liberal subbing. Megan and Mikayla should get many minutes and Kayla should, too. For those of you who think you have better ideas than Coach, think again.

Reaction Score
Here is hoping Geno and the bench can get on the same page in the 6 weeks remaining.

“Our guys play too many minutes, that's all there is to it,” Auriemma said. “It's not their fault. I've got to figure out a way to rectify that.”

“I know I'm undersized,” said Gabby Williams, who led UConn with 11 rebounds. “And we don't have the height a lot of teams have. But I think we have something else. We have some athleticism. I hope that we can get some more edge and just be quicker.”

Mass of miscellaneous stats at the end of this piece. UConn Women Will Have To Work On Rebounding, Rotation

GeNO is the Coach!! The buck stops with him. Too many minutes played by the starting 6? Who regulates that?
In terms of Bench and Geno being on the same page----Geno controls what page they are now seeing.

The ONLY way to reduce the minutes the top 6 play---is to TRUST the FROSH and Sophs--not all, they are not all ready for prime time. But if he has to and he believes too many minutes are played by the starting 6---TRUST--accept a tiny bit less. Geno doesn't not have to swallow total disaster--but players like AEH (I know she's gone) and Walker while in games have shown potential for prime time. Coombs probably if given the PT in games will develop before mid march to a semi-trustworthy player---perfection won't come from them this year---accept what you have--or play the 6 37 minutes per game--not much of any other choice. It's not like Geno has not done this before---When he didn't have top players --he played lessor players---

If they stay on the bench---those Frosh/Sophs--can't relieve the starting 6--it's all up to YOU GENO!!

Reaction Score

...and more desire, just what's needed when you're exhausted.

Reaction Score

She has the potential to become one of the great ones, and it's highly desirable that the current funk she's in ends sooner rather than later.

Walker is a long time BB player--she has played the game---there can be no question of her skill set. Few questions of her abilities. Few questions about her motivation.
If she were put in the TX game, I have little doubt she would have been an asset. She proved in the UCLA/ND games she can deliver, play defense, rebound---
If you want to see her motivation pick up big time ---PLAY her, the bench isn't the greatest motivator for some.

Reaction Score
Gee.....everybody including the coach just came to the realization that the starters are playing too many minutes?

Some here have been preaching that since last Summer..there's simply no need to play the starters in the fourth quarter (even half of the third) of a game when you're up by more then 20 points..not utilizing the bench has been a major issue here for quite some time also......hopefully we'll see some growth from the bench players in the coming weeks if they start playing substantial minutes.....

The cure is simple and Geno holds that cure---TRUST the Frosh/Sophs--ONLY GENO controls who plays who doesn't, when and how long they play. The solution is in Geno's hands--TRUST..

Reaction Score
Earlier in the season, folks were griping about the incredible shrinking MOV in the 4th quarter when Geno put in his subs. Coach was also unhappy, so he started being judicious about how many inexperienced players he used at the end of games. There was always a starter or two remaining until the end to maintain stability and salvage the work of the regulars. Finally, in a game that could tolerate no inexperienced players, Geno went with his 6 best. He obviously did not want to take the chance of losing. There's plenty of opportunity during AAC contests for liberal subbing. Megan and Mikayla should get many minutes and Kayla should, too. For those of you who think you have better ideas than Coach, think again.

You're correct when you say that some here moan about fourth quarter play, they always have...........I for one could care less about MOV.........I'm happy to sacrifice it if it means that inexperienced players get valuable minutes on the court.........perhaps more of us should be a bit less concerned about whether UConn wins by forty or fifteen and care more about player development no matter how ugly it sometimes looks.........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
GeNO is the Coach!! The buck stops with him. Too many minutes played by the starting 6? Who regulates that?
In terms of Bench and Geno being on the same page----Geno controls what page they are now seeing.

The ONLY way to reduce the minutes the top 6 play---is to TRUST the FROSH and Sophs--not all, they are not all ready for prime time. But if he has to and he believes too many minutes are played by the starting 6---TRUST--accept a tiny bit less. Geno doesn't not have to swallow total disaster--but players like AEH (I know she's gone) and Walker while in games have shown potential for prime time. Coombs probably if given the PT in games will develop before mid march to a semi-trustworthy player---perfection won't come from them this year---accept what you have--or play the 6 37 minutes per game--not much of any other choice. It's not like Geno has not done this before---When he didn't have top players --he played lessor players---

If they stay on the bench---those Frosh/Sophs--can't relieve the starting 6--it's all up to YOU GENO!!

We see eye to eye on this one and , frankly, it does not bode well in the recruiting wars if Geno fails in this mission. I wonder if she has a player mentor?

Reaction Score
Thanks, but I don't think the way I've expressed my opinion/assessment/observations is at all derogatory or should be out of bounds on this board.[/QUOTE

It seems to me Geno is saying it is up to him when he says I’ve got to figure out a way to rectify this. It also seems to me however Geno is simultaneously saying to those not getting playing time that the opportunities for playing time remain open to them and in fact will be forthcoming but they have to work for them in the same way all others did before them for the past 30+ years he has coached the team. Some here disagree and believe he needs to loosen his standards lest the wheels fall off the bus in terms of the starters plus Stevens tiring, tremendously talented underclasswomen transferring, and highly sought after recruits choosing other programs. Although of course I don’t know, I believe Geno and CD would respond by saying diluting the standards long established at UConn would not serve the program either in terms of obtaining more National Championships or dare I say even more importantly in terms of teaching and instilling the values they believe will serve these women best during the remainder of their lives.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We see eye to eye on this one and , frankly, it does not bode well in the recruiting wars if Geno fails in this mission. I wonder if she has a player mentor?

If the choice is to sit young guys ---or have some relief for the big games/Ncaa--you picks your poison--
Geno should made a command decision of play them or accept the tired 6.

Reaction Score
You're correct when you say that some here moan about fourth quarter play, they always have......I for one could care less about MOV....I'm happy to sacrifice it if it means that inexperienced players get valuable minutes on the court....perhaps more of us should be a bit less concerned about whether UConn wins by forty or fifteen and care more about player development no matter how ugly it sometimes looks....

The trouble with YOU --is you are a realist. 1 point or 101 point win--gets no more than a W in the W/L column. MOv--is a fan thing.
As a realist --you know ONLY one person on or off the Uconn team dictates who, when, where ANYONE plays or HOW LONG. If the team is tired--who has that as part of their responsibility.

Reaction Score
Not sure why some guess at what's inside an 18/19 year old's head. Suggest we stay on sidelines for this topic.
Almost all freshmen hit a wall of some sort. Let’s hope it’s in the past for all of them now.

Reaction Score
It seems to me Geno is saying it is up to him when he says I’ve got to figure out a way to rectify this. It also seems to me however Geno is simultaneously saying to those not getting playing time that the opportunities for playing time remain open to them and in fact will be forthcoming but they have to work for them in the same way all others did before them for the past 30+ years he has coached the team. Some here disagree and believe he needs to loosen his standards lest the wheels fall off the bus in terms of the starters plus Stevens tiring, tremendously talented underclasswomen transferring, and highly sought after recruits choosing other programs. Although of course I don’t know, I believe Geno and CD would respond by saying diluting the standards long established at UConn would not serve the program either in terms of obtaining more National Championships or dare I say even more importantly in terms of teaching and instilling the values they believe will serve these women best during the remainder of their lives.

STANDARDS dilution? Please look back when Geno didn't have a loads of top players---he was force to play those he would not play today---Standards, change as the situation dictates.

Reaction Score
Almost all freshmen hit a wall of some sort. Let’s hope it’s in the past for all of them now.
Wall? I have no idea of what that is; could you define it for me? It would seem if the Wall was about not playing BB well, werent they recruits because that's what they did? If the wall is being too tired to run their legs off in practice--yea I can see that wall, been there done that. If the wall is mental?? What does that mean? This WALL has been mentioned year after year--and I can't find a meaning, can you help??

Reaction Score

I'm not sure there will be any recruiting repercussions if things continue as they are with the bench..............I don't see MW running away from this challenge and the same for MC...............Christyn Williams is so advanced offensively that I'm pretty sure she will see minutes from day one next season and the truly great recruits will always believe that they can play their way into any lineup..............

Reaction Score

I think there is room for compromise here as I've said earlier...........if you are incompetent or dogging it in practice you simply don't play in games, if you are somewhat inconsistent you get some last quarter minutes, if you are doing pretty well but not maybe three days in a row you get more fourth quarter minutes and maybe a few prime time minutes against lesser teams............not a whole lot different then it is now........just a few more minutes here and there for those giving it their best.....................

Reaction Score
STANDARDS dilution? Please look back when Geno didn't have a loads of top players---he was force to play those he would not play today---Standards, change as the situation dictates.
I agree with you that the standards of the ability of players that Geno finds acceptable have changed over the time he has been at UConn. I believe he has indicated as much if not said so directly more than once. I should have been clearer. What I was trying to say is that Geno is unwilling to dilute his standards of what constitutes acceptable effort and attitude in favor of providing playing time to those who don’t measure up to those standards. I think that is where you and he disagree. You believe the effort and attitude will improve if a player not measuring up to the expected standards in these departments is given playing time. Geno believes otherwise. I take Geno’s most recent comments to indicate to those not getting playing time during the Texas game that he very much wants, even needs, to give them playing time but they need to show him something more or different, particularly in practice.

Last edited:

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score

I think you are talking about 2 different things. The issue about how many minutes earned by bench players has little to do with their talent level. Rather, it has everything to do with their effort, concentration, and following coaching instructions during practice. Over the years, Geno has never shown any hesitation of benching superstars if they show any lack of effort.

Another poster in another thread (can't remember who and which--and too lazy to search) brought up a really cogent point: there is a moral hazard problem once the threshold of earning minutes is lowered; players may be induced to put in less effort because they get to play anyway.

I interpret Geno's post-game comments to mean finding a way to enhance the motivation of the bench players, rather than lowering the required effort threshold.

That said, any reasonable person would argue that a player like MW surely deserves a second chance. I remember during the early part of KLS's freshman year, she was getting very few minutes because for whatever reason she was not performing to Geno's expectation. In one of the shows on SNY, there was a clip showing Geno turning to CD during a game and said: "What are we going to do with Lou?" and I recall CD replied, "let's give her a second chance." I remember that clip clearly because KLS was off to the races after that. Let's hope MW follows a similar path to success.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The 2014-2015 team was one of the greatest UConn teams, although it was not very deep. The closest game they faced all year was a ten point win in the finals against ND.

There were three bench players who received meaningful minutes - soph Chong, 19.0; senior Stokes, 18.3; and frosh Gabby, 15.6.

The starters averaged between 25.0 and 28.7 minutes per game.

Our starters this season average more minutes per game, between 27.3 and 33.1. Stevens off the bench averages 22.6, more than any of the 2014-2015 bench players. Walker averages 15.6 minutes per game, same as Gabby did as a freshman. But this year, we do not have an eighth player getting meaningful minutes. Worth noting that we do have more bench players to divide minutes up than we did in 2014-2015, when Courtney Ekmark was the only other recruited scholarship player.

So it will be interesting to see how Geno`s comments play out in practice.

Certainly the hope is that MW gets back on track so that we are at least seven deep. Maybe we will see someone else emerge from the pack and get meaningful minutes as the eighth player in the mix. Given the fact that all but two of the games until deep in the NCAA tournament should be one-sided, fair to assume that Geno will cut back the minutes of his starters in those blowout games to more closely resemble the minutes played by the 2014-2015 starters, and divvy up those additional minutes in a way to be determined. Fair to assume that Z`s minutes, 22.6 per game now, will increase. Also, Irwin, Bent and Coombs have all been playing better to a greater or lesser degree, and I would expect them to earn some additional minutes for those games at least. I know, I know, they have to practice well.

What will happen in those critical games, South Carolina, Louisville, and in Albany/Columbus? Worth noting that in the final versus ND in 2015, Tuck, Jefferson, and KML all played 40; Stewart, 39; and Kia, 25. Gabby played 3, Stokes 10, Chong DNP. So, even on a team that was essentially eight deep (all WNBA players or projected first round picks, by the way), only six got meaningful minutes when the chips were down.

I`d like to see the bench get more minutes in the one-sided games, and while I would love to see lots of progress across the board, at this point I would happily settle for a scenario where Walker re-emerges and we have seven reliable options in Columbus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with you that the standards of the ability of players that Geno finds acceptable today have changed over the time he has been at UConn. I believe he has indicated as much if not said so directly more than once. I should have been clearer. What I was trying to say is that Geno is unwilling to dilute his standards of what constitutes acceptable effort and attitude in favor of providing playing time to those who don’t measure up to those standards. I think that is where you and he disagree. You believe the effort and attitude will improve if a player not measuring up to the expected standards in these departments is given playing time. Geno believes otherwise. I take Geno’s most recent comments to indicate to those not getting playing time during the Texas game that he very much wants, even needs, to give them playing time but they need to show him something more or different, particularly in practice.
i
First --you were sort of clear.
I keep using Charde as my example because she stands out, but there were others. He then had nearly todays standards but he modified his PT requirment because Charde was the ONLY consistent scorer available with that team. So she played. His standards were not in concrete as many think--he was pragmatic---either lose (Geno hates to lose) or use one he had little respect for in effort, practice, etc--he chose the latter.

My take, as invalid as it may be, is: Geno has choice; use what's available, even accepting the unacceptable or live with the 6 playing many minutes as he brings along the frosh/Sophs slowly.
If he expects them to be game ready in March (6 weeks away) the end 6 or so need REAL game, not clean up time, experience.
A poster stated the dilemma is a moral question: Once you, as their leader, dictates a manner, criteria, for obtaining PT---if you slide back, your word gets to mean little. That I understand.
Still standards are adjustable-- Geno has mellowed from 15 years ago--accept the current PT crunch or trust the new guys. Tough dilemma.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom