Tony Bennett | The Boneyard

Tony Bennett

Reaction Score
It was refreshing to listen to a coach take a loss like last night's with such class and grace. I hope the AD and President of Uconn listened to the way Tony Bennett presented himself to the national audience amidst the biggest upset in college athletics. It was coherent, classy, and respectful. It was one of the more impressive things of the night.

Reaction Score
It was refreshing to listen to a coach take a loss like last night's with such class and grace. I hope the AD and President of Uconn listened to the way Tony Bennett presented himself to the national audience amidst the biggest upset in college athletics. It was coherent, classy, and respectful. It was one of the more impressive things of the night.
Was just about to post the same thing. Say what you want about his offense, but Tony Bennett is a class act.

Reaction Score
Love the kid from UMBC in the press conference say "We wanted to be on One Shining Moment, bit we only know the first line" - then hesitated and said "I guess we will need to learn the whole thing now" with a little wink. That's what this is all about I miss really being part of it.

Reaction Score

I hope you’re not suggesting they hire the man because he has the grace of a Jackie Onassis. The guy’s probably going to get fired.

Reaction Score

Depende what standards are set by the AD, I suppose...But outside one season where they were bounced out of the elite 8 a few years ago, Bennett’s March track record is not even sniffing the blue blood level.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Depende what standards are set by the AD, I suppose...But outside one season where they were bounced out of the elite 8 a few years ago, Bennett’s March track record is not even sniffing the blue blood level.

He's 11-8 in the NCAAs with two Sweet 16 trips and one Elite Eight. The idea that this guy would get canned over this loss is crazy-go-nuts.

Reaction Score

Bennett will be there till he retires. UVA isn't a powerhouse and he has built them into one. Recruiting is difficult because of the academic standards. Its a low pressure job and both parties are vey happy with their arrangement

Reaction Score
regardless of what he's done in regular seasons/conference tournaments, these boys are gonna have their faces plastered all over for the embarrassment they produced for their school. To go what, 31-2 before playing a game they should run off the court? how low, embarrassing can it get? I don't even think UCONN has dropped the ball that low even though we went 14-18 this year!

Reaction Score
He won’t get fired, but he needs to bring on an assistant who can teach offense. Perhaps some wayward Roy disciple or something. Building a team that can’t get down more than 10 points because they have no gear or gameplan to speed up the offense is problematic in March.

Reaction Score
He is one classy guy.

Reaction Score
He needs to call up Calhoun to ask about being a "tournament coach." I do know that anybody who watched UVA this year knew how good they were. Maybe not natty good, but good.

Reaction Score
He needs to call up Calhoun to ask about being a "tournament coach." I do know that anybody who watched UVA this year knew how good they were. Maybe not natty good, but good.
A team that runs through the ACC regular season and postseason with just one combined loss is national championship good.

Losing their sixth man meant they weren't going to win the title. They still should have been an E8 team.

Reaction Score
Don’t think Tony has any fallout from this. Team is good every year now and he presents a great image for the program, class. Look what happened to us in games where we shot 20%. From 3. Tough to survive that.

Reaction Score
This team was the perfect candidate for making history. Most 1 seeds are not totally reliant on D and typically much more athletic than the 16 seed. This Va team let's teams hang around and doesn't blow teams away with offense. Kids on this team will never forget this moment as long as they live.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He won’t get fired, but he needs to bring on an assistant who can teach offense. Perhaps some wayward Roy disciple or something. Building a team that can’t get down more than 10 points because they have no gear or gameplan to speed up the offense is problematic in March.
They lost their second leading scorer this week
That would hurt any team that is not known as an offensive power
With their record it didn't appear tweaking was needed during the season but loosing a kid like that would hurt most any team
Tony B is a great coach and a better gentleman - it's too bad this happened to him rather than the Squid, K, the Picker and a score of others
Good side of this upset - it won't make UConn the scapegoat if it should have happened to them in the future

Reaction Score
Calhoun had one of the classiest pressers I have ever seen after the George Mason loss.

Reaction Score
They lost their second leading scorer this week
That would hurt any team that is not known as an offensive power
With their record it didn't appear tweaking was needed during the season but loosing a kid like that would hurt most any team
Tony B is a great coach and a better gentleman - it's too bad this happened to him rather than the Squid, K, the Picker and a score of others
Good side of this upset - it won't make UConn the scapegoat if it should have happened to them in the future
This had nothing to do with Hunter (who was their fourth-leading scorer). And it’s not like Bennett criticism is confined to this year at any rate. They simply can’t play from behind with any consistency. It’s not in their offense’s vocabulary. That is a March-killer no matter who you are. What’s more, their offense is heavily predicated on favorable whistles to ignore their very hard-nosed execution. Defense can carry a team far, but the offense needs a rehaul. In the last five years, probably the least painful tourney showing for UVA ended with a 65-39 beatdown. Think about that. I think we are at the point where we can say without question that UVA has an offense problem and it can derail even the best UVA teams. Even ones with historically GOAT defenses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope you’re not suggesting they hire the man because he has the grace of a Jackie Onassis. The guy’s probably going to get fired.

Have the mods started accepting nominations for stupidest post yet? We may have a hands down winner.

Reaction Score
Chastising another team's offense coming from a uconn board is priceless

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom