Tony Bennett Retiring (effective immediately) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tony Bennett Retiring (effective immediately)

Reaction Score
first Jay Wright now TB, who's next?
Whoever it will be, I think it will be coaches who are middle aged or older who have plenty of $ in their bank account from past contracts and feel like they have already accomplished the most they think they ever will or hit their peak in the past.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The folks who want to shrug this off as something other than a bad sign for the future of college basketball will find a way to do so, but the trend is growing harder to ignore.

Say what you want about Virginia, because I know it hasn't been the most aesthetically pleasing brand of basketball, especially lately. But under Bennett it was one of the few remaining power programs in the sport that sold something other than NIL and NBA dreams. Its style was unique and made college basketball what it is.

Reaction Score
Here's a new interesting fact for recruits : National Championships in the Last 10 Years from current D1 coaches:

Dan Hurley : 2
All Remaining 354 D1 Coaches Combined : 2

:D
Are there current coaches who won >10 years ago?

Reaction Score
I made a meme

1729213656197.jpeg

Reaction Score
Damn. I get that he's a great guy, but I feel like retiring this close to the start of the season is kind of messed up. I feel like if the thought of retirement was at the forefront of his mind recently that he would still just soldier on and give it all he's got left for one more go at it instead of calling it quits this close to the start.

Reaction Score
With sources saying health wasn’t an issue, and a scandal looks pretty unlikely based on his history, seems as simple as the guy was done with the NIL/portal era and with the timing wanted to force the school’s hand into promoting his buddy Ron Sanchez. Wouldn’t be surprised if he had this planned since the end of last season, possibly longer. Maybe even used It as a bargaining chip to get Sanchez to resign as HC of Charlotte and be an assistant last offseason. Stinks for the players unless they knew that was a strong possibility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why does it always have to be about health or scandal for some people (not necessarily here) when we just saw Jay Wright retire for reasons other than those two? It happens.

Reaction Score
Why does it always have to be about health or scandal for some people (not necessarily here) when we just saw Jay Wright retire for reasons other than those two? It happens.
People like me are questioning the timing of his announcement. Jay Wright retired in April after the season while Bennett is retiring close to the beginning of the season. Post #46 prior to your post, lays it out pretty well IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom