Tony Bennett Retiring (effective immediately) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tony Bennett Retiring (effective immediately)

Reaction Score
Some guys like Hurley are going to thrive and survive in this atmosphere where you're coach, head fundraiser, salesman etc. but it's tremendously grueling to do what Hurley is doing.

Some guys like Wright and Bennett like the slow build and don't want to constantly be looking over their shoulder as other programs poach their players and everything that goes along with NIL and all the other off the court stuff. Hell some of Wrights NBA studs were redshirted their freshman year. I'm also convinced Roy had another 5 years in him had the landscape not changed. These guys have all achieved the ultimate success and have all the money you could ever need. I totally get why they leave.

Enjoy Hurley while he's here because with the demands of the job today we don't know how long he'll be able to do it 100% full throttle and he's said he's out when he no longer feels he's giving absolutely everything to it.
Not sure I agree - they'll likely put guard rails on the system to reign in the chaos at some point or Hurley will get additional budget to hire people to help run all this stuff. If anything I think there will be a course correction and those that have figured out how to navigate the current craziness will be better off once normality kicks in. He feels like a CEO & closer now, having hired and retained top notch staff. The guy has energy, stays in shape and I do think part of him thrives in this. It'll run out eventually, but hopefully at the point he gets us a couple more rings and develops one of guys to take to over.

awy

Reaction Score
don't know what's going on or really care, but this does make virginia weaker as a recruit destination in the DMV region where UConn has been doing good work.

Reaction Score
"I think it's right for student-athletes to receive revenue. Please don't mistake me," he said Friday. "The game and college athletics is not in a healthy spot. It's not. And there needs to be change, and it's not going to go back. I think I was equipped to do the job here the old way. That's who I am.

"It's going to be closer to a professional model. There's got to be collective bargaining. There has to be a restriction on the salary pool. There has to be transfer regulation restrictions. There has to be some limits on the agent involvement to these young guys. ... And I worry a lot about the mental health of the student-athletes as all this stuff comes down."

Reaction Score
Bennett won a national championship. Can't take that away, but he also had a few horribly embarrassing losses and his teams were awful to watch.

The first 1 seed ever to lose to a 16 seed (and while ranked number 1). Since the Championship, they lost twice as a 4 vs. 13 in the first round. Then last year's 34 point blowout at VT and the 42 points they scored in the NCAA Tournament First Four blowout.

Bennett seems like an OK guy, so I hope he lives a happy life, but his teams were boring to watch and his tournament results were terrible on the whole (and especially of late). Now he whines about the state of the game and leaves his team 3 weeks before opening tip. Maybe this is harsh, but I really don't think UVa or NCAA basketball will miss him (other than the love for an early round upset).

Reaction Score
don't know what's going on or really care, but this does make virginia weaker as a recruit destination in the DMV region where UConn has been doing good work.
Maybe. Or maybe new coach will have more appealing style. Tony wasn't reeling in big recruits or classes, so this adds variance. NIL boosters often step up with a coaching change, too, but may not be the case with Tony forcing the choice upon the administration.

awy

Reaction Score
Maybe. Or maybe new coach will have more appealing style. Tony wasn't reeling in big recruits or classes, so this adds variance. NIL boosters often step up with a coaching change, too, but may not be the case with Tony forcing the choice upon the administration.
from what i hear the new coach/old assistant is pretty bad. slow pace, not creative, lack results.

Reaction Score
Bennett won a national championship. Can't take that away, but he also had a few horribly embarrassing losses and his teams were awful to watch.

The first 1 seed ever to lose to a 16 seed (and while ranked number 1). Since the Championship, they lost twice as a 4 vs. 13 in the first round. Then last year's 34 point blowout at VT and the 42 points they scored in the NCAA Tournament First Four blowout.

Bennett seems like an OK guy, so I hope he lives a happy life, but his teams were boring to watch and his tournament results were terrible on the whole (and especially of late). Now he whines about the state of the game and leaves his team 3 weeks before opening tip. Maybe this is harsh, but I really don't think UVa or NCAA basketball will miss him (other than the love for an early round upset).
He’s not entirely right or wrong, truth somewhere in between. And will likely be addressed at some point. His last line is interesting in terms of mental health of the student athlete. I wonder if that’s a projection or something he’s witnessed.

Reaction Score
Not going to go out of my way to take shots at him. When it's time it's time. If no scandal and not health issues....great. Perhaps he wanted an assistant to get a shot and did it this way.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Tony Bennett stood for more than basketball. That’s why he left.

Washington Post
Tony Bennett quit before he compromised. It was the most Bennett ending ever, the truest way a man of his conviction could say goodbye.
It doesn’t take 10 minutes around Bennett to appreciate his substance, to marvel at how well he understands himself, to feel the strength of his character regardless of whether his beliefs seem too idealistic or old-fashioned. He spent 18 years building a Hall of Fame coaching career with sincerity and grace. He developed his teams on five pillars, creating an indestructible standard. On Friday morning, he announced his retirement as the men’s basketball coach at Virginia, giving it all up because he’s uncertain he can tolerate the changing sport he loves... The anti-player compensation faction will use his retirement to emphasize the ills of paying athletes. However, Bennett made it clear that he faults the lack of leadership and regulation — not the players — for a chaotic system that has turned lenient new transfer rules and laughable name, image and likeness policies into a pay-for-play free agency in which coaches must deal with agents as much as parents. It became hard for Bennett to teach his pillars — humility, passion, unity, servanthood and thankfulness — and guide players through the intricacies of his team’s playing style in an environment that breeds impatience and welcomes rapacious middle men...

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score

[Rothstein] Tony Bennett: "The game and college athletics are not in a healthy spot. I think I was equipped to do the job the old way."​

Yeah, the old way, when the kids were starving but generating Millions. Ok Tony.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the old way, when the kids were starving but generating Millions. Ok Tony.
Kids were never starving. That's a common misconception that I think was fueled in part by a Shabazz quote that was taken out of context.

The bigger problem with the old system was parents' having to work three jobs to pay travel bills.

Reaction Score
Kids were never starving. That's a common misconception that I think was fueled in part by a Shabazz quote that was taken out of context.

The bigger problem with the old system was parents' having to work three jobs to pay travel bills.
Weren't there restrictions based on meal plans and issues with dining hours? Sure you might not be actually starving but when you need 6000 calories a day and you can't get food after 8:00 it'll sure feel like you're starving.

Reaction Score
I’ve thought the fact top players went from $0, to million$ overnight, established the inequity. Was he coaching on a teachers salary?

Reaction Score
I find it comical that most of you act like you know, Tony Bennett. I have had the opportunity of meeting and he is a man of great integrity and ethical standards. He turned around a putrid basketball program, run into the ground by the little leprechaun and Jeff Jones. I put more credence in what his past players and current players have to say about him. You can make all kind of noise you want about the date he resigned, but none of you have ever will walk in his shoes.

What the man says about the state of college basketball is not without merit. We basically have an arms race. Football paved the way and basketball is following along. When guys like Bennett and Jay Wright walk away maybe some of you might think a little bit more. It’s not about paying athletes… Lord knows they deserve it. Mark my words, athletics will be even more unrecognizable within five years. Conferences like the big east don’t have the money to compete with the likes of the SEC and big 10. Not only do they have extraordinary advantages and TV money but also very deep pocket Donors. Coach Hurley and his staff are able to overcome that now...for how long?

I also didn’t hear all that much about Calhoun departing… And don’t give me the timing of each of your decisions.

Reaction Score
I find it comical that most of you act like you know, Tony Bennett. I have had the opportunity of meeting and he is a man of great integrity and ethical standards. He turned around a putrid basketball program, run into the ground by the little leprechaun and Jeff Jones. I put more credence in what his past players and current players have to say about him. You can make all kind of noise you want about the date he resigned, but none of you have ever will walk in his shoes.

What the man says about the state of college basketball is not without merit. We basically have an arms race. Football paved the way and basketball is following along. When guys like Bennett and Jay Wright walk away maybe some of you might think a little bit more. It’s not about paying athletes… Lord knows they deserve it. Mark my words, athletics will be even more unrecognizable within five years. Conferences like the big east don’t have the money to compete with the likes of the SEC and big 10. Not only do they have extraordinary advantages and TV money but also very deep pocket Donors. Coach Hurley and his staff are able to overcome that now...for how long?

I also didn’t hear all that much about Calhoun departing… And don’t give me the timing of each of your decisions.
Steady on that horse, sir

Reaction Score

Talk about an over reaction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom