Tony Bennett Retiring (effective immediately) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tony Bennett Retiring (effective immediately)

Reaction Score
Why does it always have to be about health or scandal for some people (not necessarily here) when we just saw Jay Wright retire for reasons other than those two? It happens.

He went through an entire offseason and recruiting cycle. He's 55 years old. It's 2 weeks before the season starts. It's absolutely weird, doesn't mean something scandalous happened. But the fact pattern is peculiar to say the least.

Reaction Score
With sources saying health wasn’t an issue, and a scandal looks pretty unlikely based on his history, seems as simple as the guy was done with the NIL/portal era and with the timing wanted to force the school’s hand into promoting his buddy Ron Sanchez. Wouldn’t be surprised if he had this planned since the end of last season, possibly longer. Maybe even used It as a bargaining chip to get Sanchez to resign as HC of Charlotte and be an assistant last offseason. Stinks for the players unless they knew that was a strong possibility.
100% the case. Speaking to UVA fans this has been rumored, just not expected to be this abrupt. TB runs an old school philosophy that requires 3-4 years of development to yield success. His stagnant offensive scheme doesn’t sell top kids that may only take 2 years, and he may not be able to keep the others. Lose lose scenario. Everything the guy stands for really has no ability to adapt to today’s landscape. The game and system has passed him by unfortunately.

Give DH credit, he’s dynamic enough to figure this stuff out. He hires the right people around him and really addresses the multiple facets needed in today’s game to crush it (marketing, culture, system).

Reaction Score
Why does it always have to be about health or scandal for some people (not necessarily here) when we just saw Jay Wright retire for reasons other than those two? It happens.
Right before the season? Why not coach the season and then retire if it was frustration with NIL and portal?

Reaction Score
Jay Wright announced his retirement in April. It might be something else, but the timing is extremely awkward and suggests that it's unplanned, at least when considering all historical precedent.

edit: I suppose he could be wanting to ram an assistant down the throat of the university, which isn't exactly setting someone up for success. But, hey, he won a championship.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Scandal doesn't usually result in retirement.
You sure about that? Folks agree to quit to keep stuff under wraps all the time. We just had the Rutgers AD abruptly retire for "health" reasons. It was a scandal.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
He went through an entire offseason and recruiting cycle. He's 55 years old. It's 2 weeks before the season starts. It's absolutely weird, doesn't mean something scandalous happened. But the fact pattern is peculiar to say the least.
definitely smoke there

Reaction Score
If this truly isn't health- or scandal-related, then I think this is BS. I can respect any person for making a decision to leave a job that does not suit them or that they simply do not want to do anymore. What I can't respect is the decision to do this three weeks before the season tips off, which 1.) turns your back on the players YOU recruited, 2.) effectively deprives them of the chance to transfer to another school (that they're entitled to), and 3.) strongarms the school to accept your self-appointed replacement.

To eliminate the opportunity for the school to conduct an earnest coaching search (when Virginia's recent style of play suggests they could benefit from a coaching makeover) feels like a disservice. And yes, I know this happens in business all day long (including at UConn post-Calhoun, though the scenario was a bit different), but it doesn't mean it's not problematic. Perhaps this is a cranky/unpopular take but I think Virginia fans deserve better than an 11th hour resignation because "NIL, Transfer portal, blah blah blah".

Reaction Score

[Rothstein] Tony Bennett: "The game and college athletics are not in a healthy spot. I think I was equipped to do the job the old way."​

Reaction Score
Damn. I get that he's a great guy, but I feel like retiring this close to the start of the season is kind of messed up. I feel like if the thought of retirement was at the forefront of his mind recently that he would still just soldier on and give it all he's got left for one more go at it instead of calling it quits this close to the start.
JC retired in sep, because he wanted to hand pick his successor so he forced the university's hand...same thing happening here

Reaction Score
Did JC sign a contract extension that summer?
Likely signed w certain promises made regarding his successor, didn't like the answers or how things played out so here we are. Maybe not exactly the same like I said, but still similar circumstances

Reaction Score
If this truly isn't health- or scandal-related, then I think this is BS. I can respect any person for making a decision to leave a job that does not suit them or that they simply do not want to do anymore. What I can't respect is the decision to do this three weeks before the season tips off, which 1.) turns your back on the players YOU recruited, 2.) effectively deprives them of the chance to transfer to another school (that they're entitled to), and 3.) strongarms the school to accept your self-appointed replacement.

To eliminate the opportunity for the school to conduct an earnest coaching search (when Virginia's recent style of play suggests they could benefit from a coaching makeover) feels like a disservice. And yes, I know this happens in business all day long (including at UConn post-Calhoun, though the scenario was a bit different), but it doesn't mean it's not problematic. Perhaps this is a cranky/unpopular take but I think Virginia fans deserve better than an 11th hour resignation because "NIL, Transfer portal, blah blah blah".
If he deceived the players it's going to boil over quickly and possibly poison the trust with the new coach if it's his guy. You can see why a coach's thought process might think this makes sense. But if it was about closing off options for the AD, donors and the players you've just opened yourself up to a lot of questions, and criticism.

Reaction Score
If he deceived the players it's going to boil over quickly and possibly poison the trust with the new coach if it's his guy. You can see why a coach's thought process might think this makes sense. But if it was about closing off options for the AD, donors and the players you've just opened yourself up to a lot of questions, and criticism.
I'm sure the players were aware, if they weren't I'd expect to see a lot of them in the portal this weekend which puts everyone in Virginia in a bad spot

Reaction Score
Some guys like Hurley are going to thrive and survive in this atmosphere where you're coach, head fundraiser, salesman etc. but it's tremendously grueling to do what Hurley is doing.

Some guys like Wright and Bennett like the slow build and don't want to constantly be looking over their shoulder as other programs poach their players and everything that goes along with NIL and all the other off the court stuff. Hell some of Wrights NBA studs were redshirted their freshman year. I'm also convinced Roy had another 5 years in him had the landscape not changed. These guys have all achieved the ultimate success and have all the money you could ever need. I totally get why they leave.

Enjoy Hurley while he's here because with the demands of the job today we don't know how long he'll be able to do it 100% full throttle and he's said he's out when he no longer feels he's giving absolutely everything to it.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I'm sure the players were aware, if they weren't I'd expect to see a lot of them in the portal this weekend which puts everyone in Virginia in a bad spot
Maybe they just take the money that was supposed to be Bennett's upcoming salary for this year and put in an an NLI to keep the players this year.

I say that only half joking.

Reaction Score
The more I think about this the more I think he got heat from boosters for failing to real in big time recruits in the NIL era and just said F- it.

Reaction Score
The more I think about this the more I think he got heat from boosters for failing to real in big time recruits in the NIL era and just said F- it.
A bit more the opposite actually...uva boosters are stingy and the ones throwing money at athletics are too often in non-revenue sports. Uva has been stoked to be where we've been at in basketball for the last decade and there's comparatively little pressure for Bennett to do anything more than be above average for what would have been the rest of his career

And for those hoping for scandal and talking about leaving players high and dry... remember we're talking about Tony Bennett not squid, self, Pitino, etc.

Reaction Score
Whats the final days of add drop?

Bennett saw UConn, and how offense is back in style, and decided he never wants to coach again. Lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom