Tonight is another test...we are 1-1-1 so far | The Boneyard

Tonight is another test...we are 1-1-1 so far

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'd say we've been tested 3 times this year, and we've come away with a split decision.

Florida was a test, and we passed.
Charleston was a test, and we didn't really pass or fail (hence the tie).
Indiana was test, and we failed.

This season can still end with greatness, but we have to start passing more of these tests. Tonight is another GREAT opportunity. Although Cincy is a bit down this year, going in there and getting a win tonight would do wonders for the team mindset going forward.

The spread gives me hope, as does our form. And I know we can win this game, we just have to go out and do it. If we can go into Cincy while they are hungover from watching the ball drop and sneak outta there with a W, then rattle off 2 more wins (@ USF/vs. Tulane) we will have big MO on our side for a huge showdown vs. Wichita State in Hartford - another test! It starts tonight though.

Who's confident? How are we feeling?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Cant turn the ball over 20 times. If they take care of the ball and play a full 40 minutes then they should pull this one out. If they are sloppy and go through periods of lapses (they are prone to do) they are gonna fall short
Good point. Even if the Little Leprechaun is gone the holdovers on this team cut their teeth on pressure defense and turnovers. They may be rebuilding but I expect a rock fight in Cinn. I think DH will remind them of how they stunk when they were last pressured. Need to get out early, break the pressure and open the game up and then not let them back in.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Cinci seems ripe for the picking. New coach. Roster turnover. "Figuring things out." New Year's Day.

If we can only turn it over less and make more free throws, I think that should be enough. Our defense is so solid, I think it could singlehandedly keep us in most games on our schedule.

Less turnovers. Make more free throws. Seems so simple.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll be looking to see if bench gets shortened and if DH has a more coherent substitution pattern.
Secondly, I'd like to see what happens if starting guards are TO prone and driving to hoop with little success.
Finally, want to see if Gaffney is ready to contribute against bigger level competition.

Reaction Score
I'll be looking to see if bench gets shortened and if DH has a more coherent substitution pattern.
Secondly, I'd like to see what happens if starting guards are TO prone and driving to hoop with little success.
Finally, want to see if Gaffney is ready to contribute against bigger level competition.

Good start CD... let's add a few others to your list:

- Want to see if Bouk is ready to take a leap into contributing consistently against bigger level competition, also. We NEED him to step up into being a consistent threat, particularly in games like this.

- Who is going to step up in crunch time? We lost this game last year on the road because CV tried but ultimately failed... and then again in the Indiana game a few weeks ago. Who is gonna do it this time, and then take that mantle going forward? We are desperate for someone to step up and finally fill the leadership void that has existed since Boatright left.

I'm hesitantly hopeful (I am particularly encouraged to see that we have gotten back to bringing our lunch pail on Defense... about damn time, and it SHOULD reflect in a better record on the road this year).

Time to open up conference play and get after it!

Reaction Score
Im just a little worried with this being our first true road game, and the fact that we have lost every AAC opener outside of beating Tulane in 2016. Its really crazy that we have not won at Cincy since 2011. I think this team is focused so I expect a good showing tonight. This is a winnable game.

Reaction Score
Vital is our barometer. If he plays within himself and the team, we play much better. Superman or James Harden mode is usually disaster.

Not saying he's the straw that stirs our drink, just saying the size of his straw makes the drink.

Reaction Score
Vital is our barometer. If he plays within himself and the team, we play much better. Superman or James Harden mode is usually disaster.

Not saying he's the straw that stirs our drink, just saying the size of his straw makes the drink.
He is the straw that stirs the drink. We usually win when he plays well. We always lose when he doesn't.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I agree about CV. We need him on the court to win. But we need a certain version of him on the court.

Reaction Score
Who starts on Cumberland? Polley?because of his length. Need to keep the bigs out of foul trouble. Cinci’s size could be bad with Whaley.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

And I'd add the barometer of his control vice hero ball is Hurley's willingness to reign him in during the game. Tough to play hero ball on the bench.
I'd caveat my watching of AG and CV with a tidbit Hurley gave during his halftime interview a few games ago. Hurley gives those two a ton of freedom when Hurley notices the other players hanging around the perimeter and not moving without the ball.
So, as a fan, I've tried to watch what/where/who other players were on the court when AG or CV hoist up low percentage shots.

Reaction Score
Here is a post from the Bearcat Journal on tonight's game (don't miss the last paragraph on DH and New Year's hangovers!).

Decent summary with the exception of the DH shots at the end. And, the lightly researched ‘Moby and Meg Ryan’ alma matter comment, seeing as both started at UConn but finished elsewhere.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Also, I don’t think we’ll ever beat Cincy so my confidence is about 1/10

Reaction Score
I disagree, if you're depending on Vital to win a game like this you will almost always lose. He needs to be a role player.
Agree but I think he’s better than we’ve seen. Him and Al are both 6-41 shooting in our 3 losses. That’s so bad it’s almost unbelievable.

Hopefully the NJIT game will be the start of him getting over the year long shooting slump.

Reaction Score
I disagree, if you're depending on Vital to win a game like this you will almost always lose. He needs to be a role player.
Spot on. Not his fault he was forced to do more in the past but he makes this team better by doing his thing as a role player.

Reaction Score
All eyes will be on Cumberland. They've had 10 days between games so if he was going to get healthy this was his chance. They looked good in their last game at home which was a win over Tennessee. This won't be an easy game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom