Tonight’s (1/27) Committee Reveal?? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tonight’s (1/27) Committee Reveal??

Reaction Score
Tennessee just lost one of their key players for the season.
Heightened level of competition = more injuries (unfortunately)

They've been without one of their key players for most of the season thus far.....

Reaction Score
UConn stays out of Bridgeport only if the NCAA is happy with empty stands, especially for the TV shots. Empty seats mean less revenue, the NCAA wants the dollars. Just wait for next few reveals. But we have one big assignment left, beat Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Whatever the committee does is irrelevant. The only thing I want to see is who gets the 1 seed in Bridgeport. My guess is NCSt or Louis, whoever wins the ACC. But the way the season's been played you can toss the top 12, except for SCar, in a hat and pick names at random.
Why is CT considered ACC territory?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UConn stays out of Bridgeport only if the NCAA is happy with empty stands, especially for the TV shots. Empty seats mean less revenue, the NCAA wants the dollars. Just wait for next few reveals. But we have one big assignment left, beat Tennessee.

The NCAA already loses money, so whats another few hundred thousand in losses? :eek:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Whatever the committee does is irrelevant. The only thing I want to see is who gets the 1 seed in Bridgeport. My guess is NCSt or Louis, whoever wins the ACC. But the way the season's been played you can toss the top 12, except for SCar, in a hat and pick names at random.
NC State will likely be the #1 seed in Bridgeport, as they're the only team in strong contention for a #1 seed that is clearly closer to Bridgeport than any other regional site (except Greensboro, where South Carolina will almost certainly be).

If NC State and Louisville both end up as #1 seeds, regardless of their order in the committee's ranking, I suspect Louisville will be sent to Wichita (to which it is slightly closer) and NC State will fall to Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
you do realize the tournament loses money every year

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
NC State will likely be the #1 seed in Bridgeport, as they're the only team in strong contention for a #1 seed that is clearly closer to Bridgeport than any other regional site (except Greensboro, where South Carolina will almost certainly be).

If NC State and Louisville both end up as #1 seeds, regardless of their order in the committee's ranking, I suspect Louisville will be sent to Wichita (to which it is slightly closer) and NC State will fall to Bridgeport.

Probably would be in State's best interest to start tanking games.... mainly the one on Feb 13. in order to drop back to a #2 in Greensboro.

Reaction Score
I think they're a 4 now
Styymie's logic prevails

But I also think this team (even w/o Paige)
might very well destroy Tennessee...
Looks like the evolution of a Juggernaut

Consider: We have 2 bigs playing very well.
Yesterday brought in a new sharpshooting guard and menace to the hoop
both of which were recently lacking
And we have Caroline and they don't
a fearless guard/wing....height, creativity, toughness...will only get better.

I like the feel of this group even with the 2nd quarter collapse
(which was demonstrably ref assisted)

The next step in their evolution would be to wallop Tennessee (even w/o Paige)
Then we can start dreaming of bigger things.
Paige was important to Uconn last year. She alone carried this team to victories. However, with the rise of Caroline, CW, and Azzi the scoring gymnastics of Paige aren't as necessary. Point guard duties?? Someone, anyone, that can bring the ball down the court and make un captured passes to the right person at the right time is still missing. Still, without Paige, too many unforced turnovers. If that can be fixed with the starting line up Uconn has now--higher rankings are likely.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I looked at the remaining schedules of the teams ahead of us and saw that several have difficult schedules. I think that S.C. and Stanford are locks and N.C. State or Louisville is a lock. Beyond that, lots of movement is possible. In particular, both Maryland and Iowa can beat Michigan and/or Indiana. And Baylor can beat Texas and/or Iowa State. For the next 6 weeks, I'll be a Maryland, Iowa, and Baylor fan. :D

Reaction Score
Forget rankings.

They're down to one big and she's not particularly physical.
Sometimes foul prone and can be discouraged.

And where (with three guards), I thought we matched up poorly against DePaul
With the 5 now available, I think we match up very well with UTenn
Would love to draw Tenn in the Championship playoffs. While we have multiple guards now, one hasn't played in several months; one in several weeks. The upcoming game should be close, but Geno does his best work at the end of the year. Bring on the Volunteers in the NCAA's!

Reaction Score
Not everything is about money.

And if there's concern about favoritism towards UConn*, this would be the perfect year for the committee to send UConn elsewhere.

* I'm referring more to the regionals often being close to CT.

Reaction Score
Paige was important to Uconn last year. She alone carried this team to victories. However, with the rise of Caroline, CW, and Azzi the scoring gymnastics of Paige aren't as necessary. Point guard duties?? Someone, anyone, that can bring the ball down the court and make un captured passes to the right person at the right time is still missing. Still, without Paige, too many unforced turnovers. If that can be fixed with the starting line up Uconn has now--higher rankings are likely.
Agree with you on most of this @Ball n , BUT, Paige is so much more than Point Guard, etc. When Paige returns (and my Magic 8 ball says she will), the entire NCAA WBB World will take notice. It will be the lead story on ESPN and the other Teams will all be watching how she is moving, how she is playing, and so on. The "Paige Mystique" will reverberate through WBB as she plays more and more minutes in the last 3, 4, 5 or 6 conference games and then plays more and more as the regular season blends into the conference tournament. People will see the Paige we all know and love and rapidly begin modifying game plans to deal with her AND the other weapons that have gained more and more experience and confidence during her absence. It will be FUN for UCONN WBB Fans... and somewhat terrifying for those who will have to play against them.
It will be fun to watch it happen...

At least this is how it's supposed to happen for my movie script to work out the way it's supposed to. :);):cool:

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Must have been a disappointing night for those that represent women’s basketball for ESPN, the worldwide leader in promoting their own. They planned to put out the Committee’s absolutely useless January bracket (given the upheaval in lineups) and do it during a “looked forward to South Carolina vs UConn matchup”. Well that game didn’t happen and it was cancelled because Dawn Staley felt like conference is more important right now, and I completely agree with her. But, oh how some would have enjoyed pulvarizing Geno if he had asked for the cancellation. Then, two of the teams/coaches they have been pushing all year lost, to unranked teams, minutes after the bracket release. But as Plebe said, “How many seconds will pass before someone proclaims, "Wow! The SEC is incredibly deep!".

I just hope the Selection Committee has the patience to see how things play out with everybody’s lineup, do some homework as to the results of games decided without certain players and not be influenced by the hype of certain coaches. I agree with the thought process that you have to beat really good teams if you’re gonna win the thing, but if not properly seeded somebody might have to beat more of those really good teams than they deserve.

Reaction Score
That is the only statement game we have left that can propel us up the rankings. Yes we can move up from attrition, meaning we win the Big East games we are supposed to, and teams ahead of us lose a couple, since they are generally in tougher conferences, but to a certain extent our upside from at least a ranking standpoint is beyond our control.

I think beating everyone including Tennessee probably gets us a 3 and maybe 2 seed. Lose to Tennessee and otherwise win out, a four seed is possible but if enough other teams lose maybe a three seed IMO.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Probably would be in State's best interest to start tanking games.... mainly the one on Feb 13. in order to drop back to a #2 in Greensboro.
Not sure I follow.

Do you mean they'd rather face South Carolina in the Elite Eight than potentially UConn in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8? Not sure I'd agree with that.

In any event, if NC State does stumble enough to fall to the #2 line, the Bridgeport #1 seed will probably be the overall #4, which would most likely mean Louisville, Tennessee or Indiana.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not sure I follow.

Do you mean they'd rather face South Carolina in the Elite Eight than potentially UConn in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8? Not sure I'd agree with that.

In any event, if NC State does stumble enough to fall to the #2 line, the Bridgeport #1 seed will probably be the overall #4, which would most likely mean Louisville, Tennessee or Indiana.

Even though they would be facing a weaker opponent, I'd almost think a short hour bus trip to friendly confines in Greensboro playing in front of thousands of their fans would be preferable to a game in CT playing in front of thousands of UCONN fans. But what do I know?

Reaction Score
Just look how much a good team can struggle when they lose a key player. I remember when a sixteen seed beat a 1 seed in the tournament because the #1 team lost key player(s). When you look at that, UConn has fared pretty well through their injuries. And our future looks brighter. Hopefully Paige can get back in time to redevelop her synergy with the team for a great Big East and NCAA tournaments.
I believe Paige will "jump" into the lineup just as Azzi did, and say, "I'm happy I played tonight!" Just like Azzi....

Reaction Score
Agree with you on most of this @Ball n , BUT, Paige is so much more than Point Guard, etc. When Paige returns (and my Magic 8 ball says she will), the entire NCAA WBB World will take notice. It will be the lead story on ESPN and the other Teams will all be watching how she is moving, how she is playing, and so on. The "Paige Mystique" will reverberate through WBB as she plays more and more minutes in the last 3, 4, 5 or 6 conference games and then plays more and more as the regular season blends into the conference tournament. People will see the Paige we all know and love and rapidly begin modifying game plans to deal with her AND the other weapons that have gained more and more experience and confidence during her absence. It will be FUN for UCONN WBB Fans... and somewhat terrifying for those who will have to play against them.
It will be fun to watch it happen...

At least this is how it's supposed to happen for my movie script to work out the way it's supposed to. :);):cool:

GO HUSKIES!!!
Have you interogated your Magic 8 Ball as to when Paige will enter her first game back? :cool:

Reaction Score

Bridgeport and Albany are easily the most financially successful regional sites over the last dozen years or so. Near sellouts and generally more expensive tickets. Because of that success fans out in mid-America want the NCAA to stop using those sites? They want the mens tournament to subsidize half-filled arenas. I doubt the NCAA shares that thought.

Reaction Score
Regarding seeding, what is the precedent for a team's seeding when a key player is injured for a period of time and expecting to return before the tournament?
Like with a lot of things, it comes down to fairness. Fairness to UConn that they are put in the appropriate seeding position. Appropriate to the other tournament teams, possibly having to face a lower seeded UConn team sooner than would be fair.
Did it ever bug anyone that Serena Williams would come into a major tournament as a, say, 15 seed, because she had been inactive leading up to the tournament? Think about the upstart professional thrilled with the opportunity of competing in a major and having to face Serena in the first round.

Reaction Score
Bridgeport and Albany are easily the most financially successful regional sites over the last dozen years or so. Near sellouts and generally more expensive tickets. Because of that success fans out in mid-America want the NCAA to stop using those sites? They want the mens tournament to subsidize half-filled arenas. I doubt the NCAA shares that thought.
Sounds like a conspiracy! Doesn't a #1 seed earn the "close to home" arrangement? Is that "perk" warranted for a #4 seed?
Fairness must rule the day.
I think it will be fun to watch UConn travel, hopefully with a much healthier roster and the underdog moniker.
Everywhere they go, UConn will draw ($ for NCAA and venue) and the people east will get to watch someone else.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I can tell you right now if UConn is not in Bridgeport Im asking for a refund and do not want to attend. If I can turn them in I will sell them to someone else even a scalper. I want to watch my team not someone elses and if UConn isnt in Bridgeport then theyre on TV and I will watch them on TV.

Reaction Score
I can tell you right now if UConn is not in Bridgeport Im asking for a refund

You bought a ticket to a Regional, not a UConn game -- you should not get a refund.
But you of course are welcome to resell them or not use them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom