OT: - Tommy Heinsohn Passes Away | The Boneyard

OT: Tommy Heinsohn Passes Away

Reaction Score
Legend. I get really sad every time one of these NY/NJ basketball legends passes away. To me that's the real birthplace of basketball and guys like Heinsohn, Hubie
Brown, Larry Brown, Bill Raftery, Billy Cunningham, Bob Hurley, Al McGuire
etc. are basketball encyclopedias.

Reaction Score
Although he hasnt been a part of as many telecasts recently he was the Boston Celtics on tv. He and Mike Gorman spent so many hours on my television its crazy. What a loss for the New England region. He was an original and deserves the ultimate Tommy point. RIP.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Big loss to the Celtic's family and Boston area. What a tremendously fun, funny and interesting personality he's been over the years. Never knew him as a player, but he sure has a legacy beyond that.

Reaction Score
Man it is one after another this season. Heinsohn is a hall of famer as a player and as a coach and for those too young to remember him, he was one great player. He was Rookie of the Year for the Celts and beat out none other than Bill Russell for that honor. He was one tough player and an excellent rebounder and scorer. I still remember his hook shot and his line drive jumper that had very little arc to it. RIP Tommy.

Reaction Score
years ago a friend was supposed to get tix to a Celtics game from a family friend who was an assistant coach of the visiting team. Got to the Garden and the coach had forgotten so the only spot they could seat us was next to Tommy and Mike Gorman which protruded from the edge of the 2nd level of seats. After my friend mugged behind Tommy while he was broadcasting a few times, during the next commercial break he offered to toss my friend down to the lower level. End of mugging for the camera!

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still remember walking past the Sheraton downtown after a BET game that year and inside in the lobby was Tommy and Mike and a bunch of other guys. They had their Prism blazers. It looked like Tommy was holding court and everyone else was laughing their asses off. That's how I always thought of Tommy.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I was at The Button in Fort Lauderdale during spring break in 82. Heinsohn and Boog Powell were there doing some kind of beer promotion, maybe Miller Lite. Heinsohn looked like it was the last place on earth he wanted to be.

RIP to a great Celtic.

Reaction Score
I was at The Button in Fort Lauderdale during spring break in 82. Heinsohn and Boog Powell were there doing some kind of beer promotion, maybe Miller Lite. Heinsohn looked like it was the last place on earth he wanted to be.

RIP to a great Celtic.
RIP to a couple legends. Heinsohn and something I am more familiar with The Button. I remember Heinsohn lighting up a victory cigar at the Hartford Civic Center sometime in the mid 70s when he was coaching. The Button and Fort Lauderdale were quite the places in the 80s . I remember spring break at the various bar pools when half the crowd would yell "Less Filling" and the other half "Tastes great". Good times.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
GREAT player, great coach and an enjoyable but often times annoying announcer
He had such a great insight into the game but let his bias get in the way, however, if he didn't I don't think he would have lasted that long as an announcer.
He is a Hall of Famer but extremely under appreciated as a player
Those who played for him loved him as a coach and the refs had much respect for him
RIP TH- you are one of a kind

Reaction Score
Years ago, I saw them live. Biggest surprise was watching Tommy sitting at the announcers table smoking a cigarette during the game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Really going to miss him. Mike and he were so good together. I love how he always made my hatred of the refs feel justified.

Reaction Score
Holy Cross was the Top program in New England a National Power ,NC and FF and had what would be NIT Championship ( a big deal then) team with Togo Polazzi and a big sophomore named Tommy Heinsohn both future Celtics. They were shocked that year on their home court by these kids from Storrs Ct an Aggie School called by a strange acronym UConn. That’s. the Year I became a fan.
Tommy a nationally known player has a huge roll in our history. Certainly one of our biggest wins until the NiT Championship. It’s the Win/Team that created the statewide fan base. It’s largely that base they got us into the BiG East .No Big East no Calhoun.
RIP big guy . we are for ever indebted.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Trebek and Heinsohn in one week... two great people who took up a large amount of time on my TV screen ever since I can remember.

Another gut punch in just a generally awful year. I will genuinely miss Tommy calling Celtics games. It already wasn’t the same with the reduced schedule he’s had for the last few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom