Tom Moore | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tom Moore

Reaction Score
The staff definitely needs a shakeup, and more was one of the better assistants under Calhoun - not just as a recruiter, but at the actual coaching thing too.

Bringing him back is such a no-brainer if he's interested.

C

Chief00

I like Tom not because he is a Massachusetts guy but he is a good dude who does the work .

C

Chief00

He'd have to sit a year unless he graduates early. He has not redshirted.
Yeah probably like Larrier / as I recall we tried to get some exception but it did not get approved.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Howie at right behind the bench on senior day. He was getting stat sheets every timeout. The first time Brimah came out he screamed "0 rebounds, 0"

Diarra and Brimah looked into the crowd with a perplexed look seeing who said it.

Crap, that could have been yelled out many games

Reaction Score
I would put a couple members of the coaching staff into a trebuchet if it meant freeing up space for Tom Moore.

Ollie, Moore and Killings would recruit the paint off the walls.

Hard to argue with the Head Shark and those that think the same.....But one would think if this guy was such a recruiting guru he would still have his job.
In his own words...
"We made a couple of recruiting mistakes in the years when we were moving from the NEC. It caught us in 2016 and 2017. We had a couple of kids who didn't work out, transferred to lower levels and it hurt our senior classes of the past two years. That was the biggest problem that affected our results."

Not sure how putting a couple members of the present staff into a trebuchet would be done as they are all family dictated by JC and KO.
This and he still has a good relationship with JH who has the respect of nobody in UConn country...
"That's 30 years of recruiting and everything else," Moore said. "I was talking to [former UConn AD] Jeff Hathaway and he said it's being on the treadmill. It doesn't give you time to step back and reflect. So it has been a little cathartic to take 15 minutes to look in the rear view mirror. I'm in a good place."

He will resurface but it does not make sense @ UConn at this point. Just my opinion. No attack on those with other views....;) :)

Reaction Score
Hard to argue with the Head Shark and those that think the same.....But one would think if this guy was such a recruiting guru he would still have his job.
In his own words...
"We made a couple of recruiting mistakes in the years when we were moving from the NEC. It caught us in 2016 and 2017. We had a couple of kids who didn't work out, transferred to lower levels and it hurt our senior classes of the past two years. That was the biggest problem that affected our results."

Not sure how putting a couple members of the present staff into a trebuchet would be done as they are all family dictated by JC and KO.
This and he still has a good relationship with JH who has the respect of nobody in UConn country...
"That's 30 years of recruiting and everything else," Moore said. "I was talking to [former UConn AD] Jeff Hathaway and he said it's being on the treadmill. It doesn't give you time to step back and reflect. So it has been a little cathartic to take 15 minutes to look in the rear view mirror. I'm in a good place."

He will resurface but it does not make sense @ UConn at this point. Just my opinion. No attack on those with other views....;) :)

You do understand that recruiting to UConn is a whole different Platform than Quinnipiac - or Scott Burrell at SCSU. You need to really exercise fully different muscles. In a 10 year career, only a few guys he brought in would play at our Level.

Reaction Score
NEC 2007–2013

2007–08 15–15, 11–7 5th
2008–09 15–16, 10–8 5th
2009–10 23–10, 15–3 1st NIT 1st Round
2010–11 22–10 , 13–5 2nd CIT 1st round
2011–12 18–14, 10–8 T–5th CBI 1st round
2012–13 15–16 , 11–7 T–6th

Metro Atlantic 2013–present

2013–14 20–12, 14–6 T–3rd CIT 1st round
2014–15 15–15 , 9-11 6th
2015–16 9–21, 6–14 9th
2016–17 10–21 , 7–13 8th

Time for a change.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Would love to have Tom Moore back. I still think we need an experienced voice on the staff from outside the organization.
Killings kind of fits that role, doesn't he? Dude has more than a decade as an assistant under his belt, and we immediately started offering and signing the guys he'd been on for Temple (Carlton being the obvious one).

It's pretty clear in hindsight that the recruiting issues @Fishy pointed out 4 years ago were real, and an adjustment was necessary. Shouldn't we give it more than a single year to see if that adjustment is working/has worked before we start tossing more parts of a national championship-winning, top-10-recruiting-class-landing staff into the abyss?

Not saying guys like Miller & Moore are above reproach (and if we really did miss out on Bruce Brown b/c we totally misunderstood the Diallo situation, as @Fishy implied, then somebody definitely needs a rethink of their tactics), but perhaps the right mix has been found now? Perhaps the lesson has been learned? Perhaps giving the current staff some experience and time to develop chemistry and pick their targets is what we need?

Reaction Score
Killings kind of fits that role, doesn't he? Dude has more than a decade as an assistant under his belt, and we immediately started offering and signing the guys he'd been on for Temple (Carlton being the obvious one).

It's pretty clear in hindsight that the recruiting issues @Fishy pointed out 4 years ago were real, and an adjustment was necessary. Shouldn't we give it more than a single year to see if that adjustment is working/has worked before we start tossing more parts of a national championship-winning, top-10-recruiting-class-landing staff into the abyss?

Not saying guys like Miller & Moore are above reproach (and if we really did miss out on Bruce Brown b/c we totally misunderstood the Diallo situation, as @Fishy implied, then somebody definitely needs a rethink of their tactics), but perhaps the right mix has been found now? Perhaps the lesson has been learned? Perhaps giving the current staff some experience and time to develop chemistry and pick their targets is what we need?

I agree that they are recruiting at another level, but the irony of course is that many of these lower level recruiting kids were part of two national championships.

I distinctly recall the board's disappointment with the Napier, Olander, Giffey, Roscoe and Lamb class. Things got worse with the Boatright and Nolan classes. In all those years, the one stud everyone was happy with was Omar Calhoun, but because of injuries the promise of his freshman season was derailed.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Calhoun himself admitted that the one thing he would have changed in his Uconn past was giving too much latitude and sway to recruiters (Moore i believe) which led to problems. If I recall this had to do with character problems although they were very athletic players. I think that despite the recruiting violations problems, AAC challenges and injuries that the recruiting overall has been very good under KO. I think KO has learned a lot in the past couple of years and had to deal with heavy personal matters. Whatever kind of fire he got into those guys the last few games was not what he was using before. Positive thinking is great if everyone is buying in but the bottom line is performance. Seems to be a blend of that (positive thinking) and in your %#@&^ face motivation. I am guessing D1 ball in a major program is a pretty heady experience and so the need to bring back to Earth. That said, I like the idea of going outside the program if at all, not back to the old days.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I agree that they are recruiting at another level, but the irony of course is that many of these lower level recruiting kids were part of two national championships.

I distinctly recall the board's disappointment with the Napier, Olander, Giffey, Roscoe and Lamb class. Things got worse with the Boatright and Nolan classes. In all those years, the one stud everyone was happy with was Omar Calhoun, but because of injuries the promise of his freshman season was derailed.
Yup.

Bottom line is that if we were recruiting 2017-type classes in 2013, 14 & 15, we wouldn't have had a losing record this year. KO & the current staff have to get some credit for adjusting, and realizing that bringing in 2016-style top 10 classes every year is desirable but not yet feasible. I think hiring Killings and basically taking his word for it on Carlton is an indication of that.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Ollie should have enough depth next year that if he doesn't like the effort he can use a sideline chair as a motivational tool. This year, with most games being 6-7-8 players available wasn't the year for that. And still he got the team playing with energy at the end.

Reaction Score
Ollie should have enough depth next year that if he doesn't like the effort he can use a sideline chair as a motivational tool. This year, with most games being 6-7-8 players available wasn't the year for that. And still he got the team playing with energy at the end.
But even before this season that wasn't really how Ollie coached. That was definitely a Calhoun thing. And it was usually very effective. He tried to recruit kids who had the kind of attitude that if they got pulled they would respond in a positive way. I'm not sure Ollie specifically recruits kids like that because that's not how he coaches.

Reaction Score
Calhoun himself admitted that the one thing he would have changed in his Uconn past was giving too much latitude and sway to recruiters (Moore i believe) which led to problems. If I recall this had to do with character problems although they were very athletic players. I think that despite the recruiting violations problems, AAC challenges and injuries that the recruiting overall has been very good under KO. I think KO has learned a lot in the past couple of years and had to deal with heavy personal matters. Whatever kind of fire he got into those guys the last few games was not what he was using before. Positive thinking is great if everyone is buying in but the bottom line is performance. Seems to be a blend of that (positive thinking) and in your %#@&^ face motivation. I am guessing D1 ball in a major program is a pretty heady experience and so the need to bring back to Earth. That said, I like the idea of going outside the program if at all, not back to the old days.

When I read ...despite recruiting violations...,I become really pi$$ed off. UNC, Baylor, Louisville, Cuse, etc. they have recruiting violations. The SEC laughs at our recruiting violations.

Reaction Score
The thing about Tom Moore is that we dont know how close he is to Ollie. Its been mentioned that Glen Miller and Howie were the two coaches Ollie was closest to outside of Calhoun. Thats why I always thought that if Miller ever left for a HC job, Ollie would bring in Howie to replace him to basically be what George Blaney was to Calhoun.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
But even before this season that wasn't really how Ollie coached. That was definitely a Calhoun thing. And it was usually very effective. He tried to recruit kids who had the kind of attitude that if they got pulled they would respond in a positive way. I'm not sure Ollie specifically recruits kids like that because that's not how he coaches.
He pulled Purvis briefly in the Cincinnati game after a quick and ill-advised 3, then had a word with him before he sat. He just does it a bit quieter and with a pat on the back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom