Tom Crean | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tom Crean

Reaction Score
I’ve said it on here before - Hurley wants the UConn job. He would definitely come.
It's not a secret.

But djct19999 says Bob Hurley hates Calhoun!!!

Reaction Score
Nobody cares about CBB anymore when it comes to negotiating media rights deals. You can fantasize all you want about being in a "high major non-P5 conference" for BB, but such a thing doesn't exist in the real present day world of college athletics. You're either P5 or you're not, in any sport. That's where the big $$$$$$ is.

I live in San Diego, and was listening to the San Diego State basketball pre-game last night while driving home from work. They were talking about whether or not December rankings were important, and the commentator stated rankings at this point aren't important unless you are in a "power 6" conference (the rationale being that most non-power leagues are hit-or-miss as to getting multiple tournament teams, so league play is more important). They commentator then went on to explain that Power 5 is a football designation, but in basketball, the Big East is added to make it the power six leagues.

Reaction Score
It's not a secret.

But djct19999 says Bob Hurley hates Calhoun!!!
I am saying they do not like each other. Not sure about hate. Yes, I stand by what I am saying that Danny Hurley will never coach here.

In other words , he will coach here as soon as hamidou enrolls. Both are locks.

Reaction Score
Hurley has won one A10 championship, why does everyone love him so much?
He's a good coach. Rhody was pretty terrible before he took over and hadn't made the tourny since Tyson Wheeler and Cuttino Mobley. They've had some injuries and still played well and will make their second tourny in a row this season. He's done it at two college programs and at the high school level, and he has good recruiting contacts.

His teams play stifling defense and he holds his players accountable for everything. He reminds me some of his father and Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Definite NO to Tom Crean. He will recruit better than Ollie and perform as well as Ollie and won't excite the fanbase.
YES to Rick Pitino if cleared by the NCAA and UCONN receives assurances of no sanctions on the program if we do hire him.

I'm not as much of a fan of Dan Hurley as others here. He's a decent coach, but I don't see him leading us anywhere. His brother different story, but with his success at ASU he isn't coming here most likely.

PS: I'm a fan of Eric Konkol at Louisiana Tech. A good up-coming coach who has worked as an assistant for Larranaga for a decade. A good feeling about the guys that Louisiana Tech hires. His team plays smart and don't beat themselves. Brad Stevens speaks highly of him as does Larranaga. We should go after Konkol.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Hurley has won one A10 championship, why does everyone love him so much?
Wagner had five losing records in seven seasons before he took over, including 5-26 the year before he was hired. In his first year they went 13-17 and in the second he went 25-6. Under his former assistant, Bashir Mason, they've largely kept that going, posting winning records in four of the last five seasons (and look a good bet to make it five of the last six).

Rhode Island had gone from 26 wins to 20 to 7 in the three years before he took over. Then they went from 8 to 14 to 23 in his first three years in charge, and are going to post their fourth straight winning season – and, I'd wager, their second straight 25+ win, NCAA appearance season. This despite seeing his best player (Matthews) ravaged by injuries over the past three seasons.

Last year was their first NCAA tournament appearance since 1999, and their first win since 1998.

Prior to taking the job at Wagner he was head coach at St. Benedict's in New Jersey, a prep powerhouse, for nine years. He has over two decades of coaching experience, more than 15 years of which have been as the head coach.

So in short: He has a history of rebuilding northeast programs that have fallen on hard times by getting them to play suffocating defense, shoot well and rebound the hell out of the ball. He also recruits well relative to his team's pedigree, with deep ties in two local (New England and New Jersey) talent hotbeds. And he has Big East blood.

Reaction Score
I’ve said it on here before - Hurley wants the UConn job. He would definitely come.
I heard he is using "Tiger Tom n Miller" to pass the info. He is actually doing his best to disrupt the program. To the hell with him. The UCONN fraternity will have nothing to do with this guy if he ever make it here

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't he come here?
Contrary to the delusion of some, UConn isn't the job it once was. Not only has Ollie run this program to the ground, he sped the process up of showing all the warts of not being in the P5. Many outside the program warned of this but we were to loyal a fan base to even imagine it true. Danny Hurley isn't looking to rebuild another struggling northeast program. He sees his brothers success and he will want a huge payday in a major conference. Sadly, he can hold out for something better. The reality is UConn is no longer a destination gig. In fact, I am far from certain The current Rutgers coach would take it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Duke will hire the best possible candidate when K retires, they won't just automatically hand over the reins to a former Dukie.

Honestly, I think they'll do whatever K wants.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I heard he is using "Tiger Tom n Miller" to pass the info. He is actually doing his best to disrupt the program. To the hell with him. The UCONN fraternity will have nothing to do with this guy if he ever make it here
Who cares what the UConn coaching fraternity thinks?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Billy Donovan is the most interesting name tossed out to date. I don't know how hot his seat is in OKC as they are slowly turning around the ship, but if he was let go we should back up the brinks truck and bring him in. Bake sales every day to raise the money whatever it takes

If money's his primary motivator, UCONN loses. He was making $4m per at Florida. And he makes around $6m per right now.

Reaction Score
Some of these posters amaze with their ability to make it through the day without walking in front of a bus or swallowing their own tongue.

Reaction Score
I saw him doing a game recently. He looked unhealthily skinny tinkering on frail. He left IU for health concerns. .

He left IU because he was fired, no other reason. Only made the tournament four times in nine years there, and only had one winning Big 10 record in his last four seasons.

Reaction Score
Contrary to the delusion of some, UConn isn't the job it once was. Not only has Ollie run this program to the ground, he sped the process up of showing all the warts of not being in the P5. Many outside the program warned of this but we were to loyal a fan base to even imagine it true. Danny Hurley isn't looking to rebuild another struggling northeast program. He sees his brothers success and he will want a huge payday in a major conference. Sadly, he can hold out for something better. The reality is UConn is no longer a destination gig. In fact, I am far from certain The current Rutgers coach would take it.

So in other words, you have shared a very emotional opinion.

Reaction Score
Some of these posters amaze with their ability to make it through the day without walking in front of a bus or swallowing their own tongue.
Bruh, you are one of those posters.

Reaction Score
So in other words, you have shared a very emotional opinion.
That wasn't my opinion. That was a simple explanation of the other side of the coin. He asked for reasons why. I gave him reasons why.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
That wasn't my opinion. That was a simple explanation of the other side of the coin. He asked for reasons why. I gave him reasons why.
Are you trying to be a stairmaster cover band?

Reaction Score
Crean has 11 toes -- he has six on one foot, and five on the other. Wouldn't this be an improvement in and of itself?
Crean's memes are the biggest reason I do not want him

Reaction Score
CD8AF8C1-7826-40D0-A835-748AD5134114.jpeg
Crean's memes are the biggest reason I do not want him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member