Today's Practice: what went on at Gampel | The Boneyard

Today's Practice: what went on at Gampel

Reaction Score
Today was the practice for season ticket holders. I arrived early, got a fantastic seat, watched practice, listened to Geno schmooze us, and, afterwards, talked with him about our own personnal connections. Not a bad way to spend a Friday afternoon, no?

I took eight pages of notes to report, but they're most illegible and i don't have the patience now to transcribe (and some of what he said shouldn't be bulletin board material for other teams, anyway).

But as the 3 hr practice progressed, and with notes to help me really pull it all together, I want to make several closely related points that emerged from my observation and the oracle's pronouncements.

1. Practice really is incredible intense. They are not exaggerating that practice is harder than games. There is no let up.
2. Geno taught the entire time. Maybe it was because he had an audience, but I think that's who he is.
3. Geno said afterwards that this time of year, he tried to simplify, simplify, simplify (actually, he said just simplify; Thoreau said it 3 times, but I figure Geno is equal to Henry David...) He said, the team is what it is, and nothing's going to change now.
4. He clearly respects ND, Baylor, Louisville, and MissState--he named them specifically, and acknowledged the problem of size against Baylor and MissState. He's under no illusions, and neither should we.
5. He talked down his freshman to us all practice, but he didn't talk them down to them. He said it's not their fault they come unprepared, because there are too many games and not enough practice in high school these day. Eureka!! Geno's strategy is to take the pressure off the freshmen by putting it on their high school coaches and on their culture. Now I understand.
6. Last but most importantly, I understood the power of this amazing practice, how the kids are so incredibly energetic for the entire 2 and 1/2 hrs. It's community. So yes, many of them are not getting playing time. But they ARE getting practice time, and, actually there's a lot more of that and it is actually more important. to them. So, don't cry for them Argentina, they are getting the approval of their peers and coaches where it matters most: in the locker room. We only see the games and judge everything through that lens. But these kids have full and meaningful lives and are really connected with one another. I'm sure some are frustrated that they're not getting more playing time (he noted that to us a couple of times), but it was impossible not to be wildly impressed by their connectedness to each other and how important that was to them.

I can remember so many dreary practices as a kid. There was nothing dreary about this for us or for them.

more later, maybe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some random additional remembrances

The 5 young men who are the practice team are really gifted and are good guys. They get a big shout out from Geno and the girls really appreciate them. 2 funny moments:

1. when one of them hit a 25 footer against a tough defense, Geno went over and kicked him in the butt

2. one of them was fouled while shooting a 3 point shot. Geno told him to shoot 3 foul shots, and the teams lined up. The rest of the girls stood under the basket making funny noises and faces and trying to spook him. He sank all 3. Geno told us that 4 yrs ago, as a freshman, he didn’t make 3 foul shots all year.

Made fun of Z: talked about a zone defense they were practicing, and said: look, there’s Z doing what she likes to do best: just stand there. The fans laughed and so did Z.

Made fun of Gabby: talked about a defense that needs to defend against great 3 shooters, "like Kia, and Lou….and Gabby." The whole team laughed.

Geno told us that this is the best season attendance/season ticket purchases in at least 10 years. He said they had been getting complacent and have tried harder now. However, many UConn supporters have moved to Florida, which he called God’s waiting room!!

Batouly wore IT bands; Lou a wrap. Crystal didn’t practice, but shot (amazingly) with others getting her rebounds. She clearly isn’t missing the shooting, but the rhythm of practice. Lou mostly practiced, but not when the team was doing full court: then she road the bikes with Crystal and they were really mashing the pedals. Batouly looks great. When it came to foul shooting, she couldn’t miss and was hitting from the outside, too. She needs more game time, and I’m very hopeful for next year and the following.

Geno talked about the challenges of recruiting UConn type players (athletic, academic, and social skills)—maybe 10 in the whole country qualify. He said he worries what happens after next year, when Pheesa, Lou and Z graduate. (Z didn’t take a 3 that I saw anyway).

The cores of the practice seemed to be 1. the very intensive 3 on 3 offensive read-and-react; and the 4 on 4 defenses schemes. This is when Geno was most annimated and being the teacher and the players really worked incredibly hard.

Reaction Score
how many season ticket holders attended?
Is Michaela C faster than CD?
Did anyone dunk?

Was AD David Benedict there?

Reaction Score
Some random additional remembrances

The 5 young men who are the practice team are really gifted and are good guys. They get a big shout out from Geno and the girls really appreciate them. 2 funny moments:

1. when one of them hit a 25 footer against a tough defense, Geno went over and kicked him in the butt

2. one of them was fouled while shooting a 3 point shot. Geno told him to shoot 3 foul shots, and the teams lined up. The rest of the girls stood under the basket making funny noises and faces and trying to spook him. He sank all 3. Geno told us that 4 yrs ago, as a freshman, he didn’t make 3 foul shots all year.

Made fun of Z: talked about a zone defense they were practicing, and said: look, there’s Z doing what she likes to do best: just stand there. The fans laughed and so did Z.

Made fun of Gabby: talked about a defense that needs to defend against great 3 shooters, "like Kia, and Lou….and Gabby." The whole team laughed.

Geno told us that this is the best season attendance/season ticket purchases in at least 10 years. He said they had been getting complacent and have tried harder now. However, many UConn supporters have moved to Florida, which he called God’s waiting room!!

Batouly wore IT bands; Lou a wrap. Crystal didn’t practice, but shot (amazingly) with others getting her rebounds. She clearly isn’t missing the shooting, but the rhythm of practice. Lou mostly practiced, but not when the team was doing full court: then she road the bikes with Crystal and they were really mashing the pedals. Batouly looks great. When it came to foul shooting, she couldn’t miss and was hitting from the outside, too. She needs more game time, and I’m very hopeful for next year and the following.

Geno talked about the challenges of recruiting UConn type players (athletic, academic, and social skills)—maybe 10 in the whole country qualify. He said he worries what happens after next year, when Pheesa, Lou and Z graduate. (Z didn’t take a 3 that I saw anyway).

The cores of the practice seemed to be 1. the very intensive 3 on 3 offensive read-and-react; and the 4 on 4 defenses schemes. This is when Geno was most annimated and being the teacher and the players really worked incredibly hard.

How big are the young men on the practice team ? Could they play D3 ?

Reaction Score
I am proudly one of those in God's waiting room.
Yeah, Cheryl and I are down here too, wirechief. Did you remember to take a number? ;)
When the time comes, we hope that we might be harder to find if we're moving.
linerinRedwoods.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Please post everything you can! Not only will it be illuminating for us but you will get a zillion likes!!
Eureka? I posted prior to this that this team was pretty much what it is and the expectations of the Frosh/Bench to become Moriah, Maya , Stew by Ncaa time isn't going to happen. As most everyone knows the "Team" will consist of the 5 starters, Azura and Megan (to a lessor extent unless by some miracle she evolves by then). At this time of the year players are physically spent.
Geno has no illusions about how Uconn will destroy Baylor, Ms St, ND or even Louisville should Uconn meet them in the Tourney, so neither should we. The 50 point wins may not occur after the first game of the NCAA's in Storrs. It is Reality time. Geno may pull a rabbit or two out of his bag of tricks but those teams mentioned all know the weaknesses and strengths of this team, and shall be ready to exploit them as best they can. Luckily it is 4 games then 2 games, 2 games, 2 games with time off between. This shall be a very interesting Tournament!!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A little 'walk-on'info ...compared to the AA stuff Bags laid on us.

Qualifier...it was a long session and I missed the last part. It seemed that Geno was doing his Coach Grouch impression for the time
I was there. Not happy about the frosh....not happy with fans sending him notes about playing the frosh after every game....not happy with all of high school
players....they 'stink'....too many games ...not enough practice. All done with some humor but he did seem genuinely annoyed.

I am glass half-full regarding Azura....I confess. Sitting up close helps the perception....she runs the floor beautifully for her size.
My bet is that she is a key factor for us in grabbing #12...and next year will realistically be a first team AA. Batouly looked great....runs the floor
well for her size....nice mid-range shot....physical....plays with an edge....strong. It may be too late this year but even if we nab the Aussie
inside stud, my guess is Batouly has a good shot at being in the regular rotation.

Overall the drills were a tad sloppy...maybe encouraging His Grouchiness....but the energy level/chatter was great....they work/run hard...period.
The guy Bags refers to...I assume it is this one: small/slender....athletic....disruptive on defense in the drills....nice offense.
He could play D3 easy. I am not saying he could help the UConn men's team....but with them at 12-14....I am not saying he couldn't....OK...a bit of an
exaggeration.

Suggestion for this event in 2019: Geno....please wear a mike. Some of us "oldies but goodies' can't hear him when he is on the court...back to the crowd...coaching them up.

I ran into Dee Rowe while there. I met him once a few years ago and he was incredibly gracious and basketball chatty at that time.
At this brief meeting he was the same....a UConn treasure. He just turned 90....looks 90 not at all.

Coach absolutely runs the show.....he speaks and there are no basketballs bouncing...silence except for his wisdom.
Shea and Marisa did their thing at opposite ends when they did a lot of 3 on 3 work.....the women against the guys....sometimes on offense ...sometimes on D.
CD chipped in here and there.

A wonderful afternoon....best coaches in the land.....best team....best program. We are blessed....#12 in April or not.

Last edited:

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I used to live in FL, but as a devout contrarian, decided to retire to upstate NY.

Sure I’ve got to deal with sub-freezing temperatures and 2 feet of snow, but I figure God’s going to have a lot more trouble finding me up here. ;)

That is funny....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The practice impressions of Batouly seem to be consistent with my opinion of her in the limited game time she is in. I really hope she sees more minutes but I guess she is behind Kyla on the pecking order. Healthy competition between the 2 for next year should help the team alot.

Reaction Score
Before I read your report I was very disappointed to have miss this event due to schedule conflict.
Thanks Bag 27 for your great insight.

Reaction Score
I've been at both men's and women's basketball practices this year and what stood out for me was the stark contrast between the men's and women practices. Players on both men's and women's teams come across a polite and wonderful kids. But in the women's practice the players were almost always running, cheering and animated. In the men's practice the players listened astutely to Coach but there was a lot of standing around. Kind of what they do during the games. If the adage is true that you play like you practice we are getting exactly how they practice in the games from both the men and the women.

Reaction Score
But in the women's practice the players were almost always running, cheering and animated. In the men's practice the players listened astutely to Coach but there was a lot of standing around. Kind of what they do during the games. If the adage is true that you play like you practice we are getting exactly how they practice in the games from both the men and the women.
yup.

And thanks so much, blakeon18; I almost left early myself, as I had “misunderestimated” the time of practice and held up our family dinner. Gotta say, it was worth the grief!

Last bits, somewhat randomly.

Geno talked to us about who gets to shoot. The 2 extremes of getting open: the best get open and the worst shooters get open because the defense lets them shoots. The best get the most shots, and he said the player who shot most in all UConn history was Maya. He then mentioned Sue, and whole range of UConn immortals. Funny, he never mentioned D.

Geno made a really interesting point about defense and the difference between the men’s and women’s game. When trapping in the corner, the offside guard of course slides down to protect against a skip pass. But that’s much easier to defend against in the men’s game, because male guards are just a lot taller. It made me appreciate that height is not normalized by gender (it doesn’t matter if women are smaller, because they’re all smaller together), but rather that there are some ways that size by gender does change the game. (We all know of course about dunking, by this was a lot more subtle.)

Geno’s very, very high on next year’s UConn recruits. But he doesn’t think this year’s high school junior class is generally as strong as the sophomore class, which he’s also very excited by.

It’s funny to see them in gym clothes and under a bit different lighting. Kia looks a bit more slight, and Pheesa and Lou a bit broader, at least to my old eyes. Batouly continued to impress me physically and in every way. To me, now that she’s pretty much recovered, she’s the question mark for this team, as it contemplates defending bigs. Maybe there are subtler things about her play that keep her from getting more minutes. You know I’m a Meg fan-boy, and I just loved being so close to the action and watching her move so gracefully.

The players and the coaches were very grateful for us being there. The cheerleader for expressing that gratitude, of course, was the irrepressible Kia. Does anyone have as many endorphins as she? And Geno gave her a big shout out by comparing the freshmen who aren’t even yet used to the intensity of the practices to Kia, who is always running full out.

Geno seemed to say contradictory things (or maybe I just processed what he said that way) about the Louisville game. On one hand, he seemed to suggest that after that incredible first quarter, UConn played the game the way it wanted; on the other, he said that UConn was hurt in the 2nd half by Pheesa’s and Crystal’s poor shot selection.

Geno said what we all know: that since Stewie’s graduation, UConn’s defense has really suffered by not having a rim-protector. He says he loves Z, but before she blocks a shot, she asks the shooter if the shooter minds if she blocks the shot. Theme of kids being too nice.

But generally, he’s very, very proud of this team. He believes they play a style of basketball that is unique and it’s clear how much he likes the players themselves.

Wrapping this up with a couple of observations:

Like all of us as we go through life, Geno changes. He seems much more mellow and philosophical and less urgent than he appeared at least in the media earlier in life. He seems more kindly disposed to his players personally even while criticizing generally the way our evolving society has conditioned them to be less intense. I’m inherently skeptical about the idea of “What’s the Matter with Kids Today” (after all, Bye Bye Birdie was 2 full generations ago). Certainly athletes and athletics are evolving, but so are Geno and CD, and maybe they’re a little less intense, a little less desperate for a title, and so aren’t motivating these players quite as much to be as urgent. This is certainly no criticism: all things flow, said Heraclitus (or at least it’s attributed to him).

On the other hand, practice began at 2:00—but that’s the practice we saw. I gather they may have been watching film before they came out on the court. And it ended at 5:00, at which point Geno came over and spent 30 minutes with us. Around 4:45, I got to thinking. It’s a late Friday afternoon in mid-February. All the biggest games before Albany have been played. Can there be a more obvious moment for everyone to just fade out? But no, Geno’s still teaching hard and the kids are still listening intently and learning. As a teacher myself, I find this just extraordinary. It’s a testament to an amazing coaching staff, very careful recruiting, and their capacity to create a mutually supporting and energizing community. Really and seriously, that is about as impressive as anything I’ve seen in 40+ years in the academy.

Over and out.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno’s very, very high on next year’s UConn recruits. But he doesn’t think this year’s high school junior class is generally as strong as the sophomore class, which he’s also very excited by.

Just a handful in the 2019 class worth fighting over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom