Today's Practice: what went on at Gampel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Today's Practice: what went on at Gampel

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
yup.

And thanks so much, blakeon18; I almost left early myself, as I had “misunderestimated” the time of practice and held up our family dinner. Gotta say, it was worth the grief!

Last bits, somewhat randomly.

Geno talked to us about who gets to shoot. The 2 extremes of getting open: the best get open and the worst shooters get open because the defense lets them shoots. The best get the most shots, and he said the player who shot most in all UConn history was Maya. He then mentioned Sue, and whole range of UConn immortals. Funny, he never mentioned D.

Geno made a really interesting point about defense and the difference between the men’s and women’s game. When trapping in the corner, the offside guard of course slides down to protect against a skip pass. But that’s much easier to defend against in the men’s game, because male guards are just a lot taller. It made me appreciate that height is not normalized by gender (it doesn’t matter if women are smaller, because they’re all smaller together), but rather that there are some ways that size by gender does change the game. (We all know of course about dunking, by this was a lot more subtle.)

Geno’s very, very high on next year’s UConn recruits. But he doesn’t think this year’s high school junior class is generally as strong as the sophomore class, which he’s also very excited by.

It’s funny to see them in gym clothes and under a bit different lighting. Kia looks a bit more slight, and Pheesa and Lou a bit broader, at least to my old eyes. Batouly continued to impress me physically and in every way. To me, now that she’s pretty much recovered, she’s the question mark for this team, as it contemplates defending bigs. Maybe there are subtler things about her play that keep her from getting more minutes. You know I’m a Meg fan-boy, and I just loved being so close to the action and watching her move so gracefully.

The players and the coaches were very grateful for us being there. The cheerleader for expressing that gratitude, of course, was the irrepressible Kia. Does anyone have as many endorphins as she? And Geno gave her a big shout out by comparing the freshmen who aren’t even yet used to the intensity of the practices to Kia, who is always running full out.

Geno seemed to say contradictory things (or maybe I just processed what he said that way) about the Louisville game. On one hand, he seemed to suggest that after that incredible first quarter, UConn played the game the way it wanted; on the other, he said that UConn was hurt in the 2nd half by Pheesa’s and Crystal’s poor shot selection.

Geno said what we all know: that since Stewie’s graduation, UConn’s defense has really suffered by not having a rim-protector. He says he loves Z, but before she blocks a shot, she asks the shooter if the shooter minds if she blocks the shot. Theme of kids being too nice.

But generally, he’s very, very proud of this team. He believes they play a style of basketball that is unique and it’s clear how much he likes the players themselves.

Wrapping this up with a couple of observations:

Like all of us as we go through life, Geno changes. He seems much more mellow and philosophical and less urgent than he appeared at least in the media earlier in life. He seems more kindly disposed to his players personally even while criticizing generally the way our evolving society has conditioned them to be less intense. I’m inherently skeptical about the idea of “What’s the Matter with Kids Today” (after all, Bye Bye Birdie was 2 full generations ago). Certainly athletes and athletics are evolving, but so are Geno and CD, and maybe they’re a little less intense, a little less desperate for a title, and so aren’t motivating these players quite as much to be as urgent. This is certainly no criticism: all things flow, said Heraclitus (or at least it’s attributed to him).

On the other hand, practice began at 2:00—but that’s the practice we saw. I gather they may have been watching film before they came out on the court. And it ended at 5:00, at which point Geno came over and spent 30 minutes with us. Around 4:45, I got to thinking. It’s a late Friday afternoon in mid-February. All the biggest games before Albany have been played. Can there be a more obvious moment for everyone to just fade out? But no, Geno’s still teaching hard and the kids are still listening intently and learning. As a teacher myself, I find this just extraordinary. It’s a testament to an amazing coaching staff, very careful recruiting, and their capacity to create a mutually supporting and energizing community. Really and seriously, that is about as impressive as anything I’ve seen in 40+ years in the academy.

Over and out.
Fantastic posts,Bags. Thank you ever so much. I do not live there ,so I depend on you, and Blake ,et al. But the inclusion of 'misunderestimate ', trumped only by the Paul Lynde reference , was the highlight for me. Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way? What's the matter with kids today? At UConn WBB, there is nothing wrong that Geno and his gang will not fix! Thanks again. :D:D:D:D:D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno talked about the challenges of recruiting UConn type players (athletic, academic, and social skills)—maybe 10 in the whole country qualify. He said he worries what happens after next year, when Pheesa, Lou and Z graduate. (Z didn’t take a 3 that I saw anyway).
Understandably. Those 3 will account for about 6,000 UConn points, plus they are tall. After they are gone, Crystal may shoot more, and Meg, Christyn, et al. will need to step up big-time. It'll be a very different team. He also rued the day Maya left, saying it would take 6 players to replace her. We won 4 championships since then.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Allow me to add my appreciation and gratitude to you for the time you spent going there, then formulating a report to share with us. Those of us that live of of state really appreciate this kind of "inside" information based on personal observations. It would really be nice if Geno would allocate 1 practice a month like this to the season ticket holders. This way, we could get a words eye view of what's going on, and an unfiltered view of practice as seen through the eyes of one of us.

This would allow us to get periodic progress reports on the players and their overall progress and development during the season, which would cut down on some of the speculation in the yard, especially if Geno shares his thoughts, observations and concerns with the fans in attendance as you said he did. We'd be getting information/observations directly from coach Geno, and have a better understanding of what the "state of the team" is, thereby allowing us to formulate a more realistic viewpoint for the upcoming games. I enjoyed these practice report posts.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One further observation about one of the less heralded members of the UConn roster (and I’m not even sure why I noticed it, but I did):

For someone whom you might expect to be mopey because she is at the end of the bench and knows it, Lexi Gordon ALWAYS has a smile on her face! It was noticeable at yesterday’s practice that she was at the back of the line (and bending over to catch her breath) when any sprinting was involved, but it didn’t seem like anyone was having more fun at the practice. When she was (mercifully) on the sidelines watching other players do a drill, she was constantly joking with teammates.

She seemed determined to tease and heckle the male practice players. When one of them took and made three free throws that Geno gave him after one of the women players fouled him on a 3-point attempt, Lexi was standing at the back of the lane making noises and waving her hands at him as he was shooting.

Near the end of the practice, doing a defensive drill, Lexi took a charge by a male player. For a second, her teammates looked concerned as they pulled her back to her feet, but that ended as soon as they saw how proud she was to have taken the charge and stopped the play. Her smile as she stood up was ear to ear.

Reaction Score
yup.

And thanks so much, blakeon18; I almost left early myself, as I had “misunderestimated” the time of practice and held up our family dinner. Gotta say, it was worth the grief!

Geno talked to us about who gets to shoot. The 2 extremes of getting open: the best get open and the worst shooters get open because the defense lets them shoots. The best get the most shots, and he said the player who shot most in all UConn history was Maya. He then mentioned Sue, and whole range of UConn immortals. Funny, he never mentioned D.

Geno made a really interesting point about defense and the difference between the men’s and women’s game. When trapping in the corner, the offside guard of course slides down to protect against a skip pass. But that’s much easier to defend against in the men’s game, because male guards are just a lot taller. It made me appreciate that height is not normalized by gender (it doesn’t matter if women are smaller, because they’re all smaller together), but rather that there are some ways that size by gender does change the game. (We all know of course about dunking, by this was a lot more subtle.)

Geno’s very, very high on next year’s UConn recruits. But he doesn’t think this year’s high school junior class is generally as strong as the sophomore class, which he’s also very excited by.

It’s funny to see them in gym clothes and under a bit different lighting. Kia looks a bit more slight, and Pheesa and Lou a bit broader, at least to my old eyes. Batouly continued to impress me physically and in every way. To me, now that she’s pretty much recovered, she’s the question mark for this team, as it contemplates defending bigs. Maybe there are subtler things about her play that keep her from getting more minutes. You know I’m a Meg fan-boy, and I just loved being so close to the action and watching her move so gracefully.

The players and the coaches were very grateful for us being there. The cheerleader for expressing that gratitude, of course, was the irrepressible Kia. Does anyone have as many endorphins as she? And Geno gave her a big shout out by comparing the freshmen who aren’t even yet used to the intensity of the practices to Kia, who is always running full out.

Geno seemed to say contradictory things (or maybe I just processed what he said that way) about the Louisville game. On one hand, he seemed to suggest that after that incredible first quarter, UConn played the game the way it wanted; on the other, he said that UConn was hurt in the 2nd half by Pheesa’s and Crystal’s poor shot selection.

Geno said what we all know: that since Stewie’s graduation, UConn’s defense has really suffered by not having a rim-protector. He says he loves Z, but before she blocks a shot, she asks the shooter if the shooter minds if she blocks the shot. Theme of kids being too nice.

But generally, he’s very, very proud of this team. He believes they play a style of basketball that is unique and it’s clear how much he likes the players themselves.

Like all of us as we go through life, Geno changes. He seems much more mellow and philosophical and less urgent than he appeared at least in the media earlier in life. He seems more kindly disposed to his players personally even while criticizing generally the way our evolving society has conditioned them to be less intense. I’m inherently skeptical about the idea of “What’s the Matter with Kids Today” (after all, Bye Bye Birdie was 2 full generations ago). Certainly athletes and athletics are evolving, but so are Geno and CD, and maybe they’re a little less intense, a little less desperate for a title, and so aren’t motivating these players quite as much to be as urgent. This is certainly no criticism: all things flow, said Heraclitus (or at least it’s attributed to him).

On the other hand, practice began at 2:00—but that’s the practice we saw. I gather they may have been watching film before they came out on the court. And it ended at 5:00, at which point Geno came over and spent 30 minutes with us. Around 4:45, I got to thinking. It’s a late Friday afternoon in mid-February. All the biggest games before Albany have been played. Can there be a more obvious moment for everyone to just fade out? But no, Geno’s still teaching hard and the kids are still listening intently and learning. As a teacher myself, I find this just extraordinary. It’s a testament to an amazing coaching staff, very careful recruiting, and their capacity to create a mutually supporting and energizing community. Really and seriously, that is about as impressive as anything I’ve seen in 40+ years in the academy.

Over and out.

I am sure the Acheron is imbibing all this info about the Surprise.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
How big are the young men on the practice team ? Could they play D3 ?
There were four male practice players at yesterday’s practice, and they all appeared to be in the 5-10 to 6-0 range, i.e., guard sized in the men’s game. (I realize that UConn’s guards other than Crystal are that size.). They appeared to be in great physical condition, and a couple of them had KML form on their 3-point shots.

One of the longest drills of the practice was was a 4-on-4 defensive drill, with the guys on offense and different sets of four women defending them in a zone. The guys were told to try to penetrate as far as they could, and kick it out if they were stopped. The defenders were usually successful in defending against penetration, but the guys were generally able to get an open 3-point shot after 7 or 8 passes, and it seemed like they made three quarters of those shots.

Geno’s emphasis during the drill was on having defenders take the shortest and most direct route to their help assignment as the zone was pulled out of shape by the passing. This involved calling out changes on the help assignments to achieve this. One observation that surprised me was when Molly tried to steal a cross-court pass and did not succeed, then tried to move back to her original defensive position.

Geno blew a whistle and made a comment about a 4.0 student not being smart enough to use the correct hand for her steal attempt. Then he said that once that happened, the defense had been pulled to Molly’s side of the court, so her teammate was actually closer to her former position than she was. So the correct move for her would have been to go the opposite side, away from the ball, where her lateness would have been less problematic.

How many coaches would think of that, stop play to correct it, or have the luxury to be coaching points like that in mid-February?

Reaction Score
yup.

Over and out.
\

High lighted portions: The two generation separated "Bye bye birdie" was a parody of how the last generation perceived the current generation as being less than perfect as they perceived themselves as youths , as has been true for the past recorded history. A Generation thrust to become great is no greater than the current generation except for that which was thrust upon them, and they did it. The more the world and people changes, the more they remain the same. I view history as people not just the rich and famous

The second highlight: A tribute to Geno and the kids he recruits and it shows this current group is not that far removed from the Sue Bird group in their desire to learn from the best.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I am savoring this thread's contents like it's Thanksgiving and I have all of my family there.

Thanks so much to all of the contributors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom