Today's good news - updated roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Today's good news - updated roster

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
He's talking class of '21 and referring to Fudd. Betts and Nnaji are class of '22.
And I am implying UCONN does not need another 2021 recruit even if it is Fudd. Who will not select UCONN, since it is loaded with top flight guards. Fudd would have to wait at least two years to start. In any cae she will want her own show, not play second fiddle on the Paige Bueckers show.

Reaction Score
And I am implying UCONN does not need another 2021 recruit even if it is Fudd. Who will not select UCONN, since it is loaded with top flight guards. Fudd would have to wait at least two years to start. In any cae she will want her own show, not play second fiddle on the Paige Bueckers show.

You mean the Fudd that is the Gatorade National HS player of the year when she was a sophomore? that one? Not a chance she sits at least 2 years before she starts. Uconn may not need Fudd, but Uconn wants Fudd, that's for sure :p

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

Your words suggest that you know for certain that she "will not select Uconn," and "will want her own show . . . ." Those are possible" considerations for her, but I haven't seen anyone on the Boneyard claim that they have first-hand, inside info on the young woman's current mindset. This is ˆlikely" to be a decision we will have to wait for, fingers crossed, and it will likely come when she is ready.

Reaction Score

Lots of players would feel that way. Fudd doesn't appear to be one. Like Bueckers, Fudd wants to play at the highest level and with the best players. Kids get their ideas from their parents, and Fudd's are both coaches and can see that the surest path to Fudd's basketball future lies through Storrs, playing with the best point guard around. Fudd may not gab like Bueckers but she won't be second fiddle on the court. It'll be a sweet duet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1586203800569.gif

Reaction Score

Fudd ain't waiting two years to start at UConn. Just like Maya didn't sit two years. Best players play.

Reaction Score
She MIGHT have to wait 2 months.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me, the worry UConn has is how young it will be next year with 3 Juniors, 1 of which hasn't played 1 game as a Husky, 2 Sophomores and 5 Freshman. that is not a recipe for "instant success" regardless of how "uber" talented that group may be.
Even when you add in a 2021 class of 3 or 4 that still means we only have 5 upperclassman to help lead the way. For as wonderful as Stewie and DT were as sophomores, they had significant Senior leadership in Dolson/Hartley and Bird/Cash/Williams/Jones/Walters. We need to see the continued development of CW, ONO, Evina and Aubrey/Anna. Just let's temper the excitement. They may well be awesome but let's make sure we give them time to grow.

Reaction Score
We will need Piath to get up to speed quickly. Other then that this team is almost invicible. At some point it will be and the days of beating top teams by 20+ will be back. Possible a group that could break the 111 game win streak. A great passing team, wtih unbelieveable outside shooters, with quickness and size. Potential to score alot of points in just a few minutes and very tuff to defend. Boy another Dream Team. Im thinkin how man first team AAs will we have and Geno will need more room on the wall for many more banners. I am so excited.
Tony, if ever a man saw the glass full it is you. I don't know how the summer is going to work out but it would be nice if Piath were able to get to the campus a little early for some concentrated effort.

Reaction Score
To me, the worry UConn has is how young it will be next year with 3 Juniors, 1 of which hasn't played 1 game as a Husky, 2 Sophomores and 5 Freshman. that is not a recipe for "instant success" regardless of how "uber" talented that group may be.
Even when you add in a 2021 class of 3 or 4 that still means we only have 5 upperclassman to help lead the way. For as wonderful as Stewie and DT were as sophomores, they had significant Senior leadership in Dolson/Hartley and Bird/Cash/Williams/Jones/Walters. We need to see the continued development of CW, ONO, Evina and Aubrey/Anna. Just let's temper the excitement. They may well be awesome but let's make sure we give them time to grow.
D, hopefully the ladies we have coming back have enough floor time to not only fulfill their roles but are able to help the younger players along for at least half the season by which time they will have some seasoning. The only problem I see is that I'm not sure either Ono, Williams or Anna really want to step into a leadership on the floor role. I do think that we have a couple of freshmen in Paige and Mir who could quickly adapt to that need. What is important is that they have the talent on the floor to be great.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Actually you are right. To be a powerhouse, UConn does not NEED anyone else from 2021. But to turn down AZZI FUDD IS INSANE. I would take Azzi and Kiki and blow the recruiting cycle up. Then I would full court press 40 minutes every game and run players in and out like a pinball machine. I'd have 10 players average 8 points and 4 rebounds and 4 assists every game (in my dreams of course). It would be new shoes for every game. they would call us NEW SHOES U.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My money is on a combination of CW and Evina. I felt last year that CW frequently acquiesced to Meg. Without Meg, I fully expect CW to step up. Evina has 2 years experience playing and 1 year on the bench which is quite sufficient for a leadership role.

Reaction Score
You apparently have never watched Azzi play. And as for her playing second fiddle to Paige, I think that Paige would be happy to drop dimes for Azzi all night long. Think of them as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. In case you are wondering, Paige is Butch lCassidy (the rascally one) and Azzi is the Sundance Kid (the greatest shooter in the West).

Reaction Score
Understand your point and we should be cautiously optimistic. But it can be done. Look at SC their freshman played lights out and had feet chemistry with the upperclassmen. Let’s hope the talent shines through early and Geno is able to lead them.

Reaction Score
So what happens when the WNBA cancels their season.

Reaction Score
One solution to a large roster is to push for a return to 6 on 6 girls basketball. It involves 3 offensive and 3 defensive players at each end. A crowd of 15,000 watched the 1968 Iowa State high school championship where Denise Long scored 64 (about her average) after scoring 93 the night before. She was drafted by the NBA Warriors in 1969. It was disallowed as high school players could not be drafted then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You apparently have never watched Azzi play. And as for her playing second fiddle to Paige, I think that Paige would be happy to drop dimes for Azzi all night long. Think of them as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. In case you are wondering, Paige is Butch lCassidy (the rascally one) and Azzi is the Sundance Kid (the greatest shooter in the West).
[/QUOTE
When I watched them play together on the Fiba teams Paige was always passing to Fudd and Boston. Paige is a true point guard like Crystal was. She will score if others are not but if they are scoring she will pass all day and night.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lots of players would feel that way. Fudd doesn't appear to be one. Like Bueckers, Fudd wants to play at the highest level and with the best players. Kids get their ideas from their parents, and Fudd's are both coaches and can see that the surest path to Fudd's basketball future lies through Storrs, playing with the best point guard around. Fudd may not gab like Bueckers but she won't be second fiddle on the court. It'll be a sweet duet.

So it would be something like this?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One solution to a large roster is to push for a return to 6 on 6 girls basketball. It involves 3 offensive and 3 defensive players at each end. A crowd of 15,000 watched the 1968 Iowa State high school championship where Denise Long scored 64 (about her average) after scoring 93 the night before. She was drafted by the NBA Warriors in 1969. It was disallowed as high school players could not be drafted then.

I used to listen to those games on radio here in St. Louis. I remember when long scored all those points, but I never saw a game of six on six. Whatever happened to Long? Did she play college ball and was she as good in college as she was in high school?

Reaction Score
With the addition of Caroline Ducharme to the ranks of incoming freshmen for 2021-22, the future looks bright. Everyone now seems to be waiting with baited breath to learn about the decision of Azzi Fudd. Obviously none of us knows her future intentions and we can hope for the best, but my belief is that with the addition of Ducharme that she is a long shot for UConn. There is no reason for her to make a decision at this time, but with future teams loaded with guards, my guess is that she will choose another team that has legitimate national title aspirations. Perhaps Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, or Stanford.

My feeling also is that Evina Westbrook will only stay for one season, but even so and without Fudd the team will still have six guards able to play, assuming no transfers or serious injuries. As far as 2021-22 is concerned, if there is another signee, I would prefer a power forward.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I remember I was in disbelief when my dad first told me that girls played this half-court variant of basketball in his high school days (he is from a small town in south Texas).

It's eye opening how hugely popular girls' HS basketball was in certain pockets of the country even before the AIAW era. Unfortunately, it was in these pockets where the authorities were most recalcitrant in transitioning to 5 on 5. Iowa and Oklahoma would continue it into the 1990s. According to wikipedia:

"Beginning in 1958 the Office of Civil Rights started looking at banning six-on-six high school girls basketball.[1] It would take 37 years to phase it out.
April Coleman took the last shot ever for 6 on 6 basketball in the United States for the Pocola Indians in the 2A state title game. The second-ranked Lady Indians avenged their only loss of the season with a 64-58 overtime victory over No. 1 and previously unbeaten Indianola Warriorettes before 6,500 fans of the longtime girls sport at State Fair Arena.[6]"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom