TN over ND | Page 15 | The Boneyard

TN over ND

Reaction Score
Just because a player is 6'3", doesn't mean they should be playing the center position.[/QUOTE]

Yes, those of us around in the 80s i am sure remember Ralph Sampson play "small forward" for Houston Rockets at 7'4"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Turner didn't have the shoulder brace on. So I'm guessing the shoulder is ok. I tought Diamond was the best player on the floor in the game.
when LV lose you think Diamond is the best player on the floor :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I've seen a bunch of Tennessee games this year and they certainly are an underachieving bunch... Russell has improved markedly this season and I would place her as one of the top centers in WCBB......if you've watched Collier this season you wouldn't have to be a rocket scientist to know that she would confound Ms. Russell at every offensive turn, inside and out....her beauty is that she is not a center......she's a hybrid forward who just happens to be able to play inside as well as any player I have seen this season..and if the inside game isn't there she will take you out to the three point line..I'm not aware of a true center that could come close to covering her...as for Ms Turner, if she's a forward, she's a forward who doesn't appear to have a consistent front to the basket or a back to the basket game...I certainly wouldn't trade Collier for her......

I wouldn't trade Lauren Cox or Kalani Brown. Turner looks almost like the identical player I saw in the Texas State Championship game her senior year. She has some really nice moves around the basket, especially the ability to catch and shoot in one motion, however, I have yet to see her develop an outside shot. I have said this about Nina Davis and it applies to Turner; a player is responsible for working on her outside shot and the coach is then responsible for incorporating that into the game plan.

Reaction Score
Gee I wonder how many wins Tennessee would have right now if Geno was coaching them.................

Reaction Score
slightly different prospective on the game....even in Pat's time, TN had a way of looking "ugly" with some wins. TN's defense was the key. they took ND out of their game, which is what it's all about. even lobo commented on TN's defense in the 4th quarter. ND doesn't have a super star to bail them out anymore. this LV team is just so unpredictable. very frustrating for a fan. I will say this....Jamie Nared is a true gem. She is an old school LV type of player and I so enjoy watching her play. Russell is greatly improving as well. oddly enough, in the LV's big wins it has been Diamond's DEFENSE that has started the turn around. if we could just get her to stay focused on that end of the floor, then I would be very very optimistic about the team. she has the ability to be a great defender AND rebounder. we need all parts moving to make a deep run. will it happen? who the hell knows....

Reaction Score
slightly different prospective on the game....even in Pat's time, TN had a way of looking "ugly" with some wins. TN's defense was the key. they took ND out of their game, which is what it's all about. even lobo commented on TN's defense in the 4th quarter. ND doesn't have a super star to bail them out anymore. this LV team is just so unpredictable. very frustrating for a fan. I will say this....Jamie Nared is a true gem. She is an old school LV type of player and I so enjoy watching her play. Russell is greatly improving as well. oddly enough, in the LV's big wins it has been Diamond's DEFENSE that has started the turn around. if we could just get her to stay focused on that end of the floor, then I would be very very optimistic about the team. she has the ability to be a great defender AND rebounder. we need all parts moving to make a deep run. will it happen? who the hell knows....

Being that they are so inconsistent, which of the next three games will TN loose if any before they face South Carolina?

Auburn, Vanderbilt or Florida

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I highly doubt Collier would have eaten Mercedes alive. There hasn't been an elite center that has done that all season, especially not if the opponent is a true post player that operates around the rim. Mercedes has owned match ups against similar sized opponents.

What hurts Turner is that she is out of position. She's a forward and not a center. She is best suited for facing up and not playing back to the basket. Out of necessity, she's playing at the center spot. Her back to the basket moves just aren't there. That's not her game. She typically gets away with playing out of position, because there aren't alot of elite centers. All you have to do is watch Turner's footwork when her back is to the basket. Just because a player is 6'3", doesn't mean they should be playing the center position.
I have watched Tenn in 3 games now (Baylor, Stanford and ND) I appreciate your support for MR but let's not get carried away, she is having a good year and as a #1 rated player she has sorely underperformed and is not as dominant as a 6'6" player with her skills should be. She still disappears at times and plays soft like against Ole Miss. The SC game will be very informing with two skilled bigs.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Nared is a good player and fun to watch. Has a decent stride, too.

Reaction Score
Very well put

Reaction Score
It's called defense that takes the opponent out of their offense. TN did the same thing to Stanford. Disruptive defense, which is not easy to do.
Now talk to me about defense, giving up how many points to Auburn who lost to KSU? I go back to my original point - both teams out of shape and wouldn't know good defense if if crept up and bit them in the you know what. But, keep singing Rocky Top..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom