TN over ND | Page 14 | The Boneyard

TN over ND

Reaction Score
To save the NCAA money both teams should report to the Bridge port Regional on weekend 2. We will play both teams back to back one at 1 PM the other at 3 PM. Team winning both games goes to Dallas!!!!!!! No regional final on day 2.:):):):):)

Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch the game until 5-minutes left. The one thing I remember was Turner backing away from Tenn player about to shoot instead of coming up to guard her. Of course Tenn made the shot and I was completely dumbfounded. Turner has not turned out to be the player I expected her to be.

She would have been benched at UConn and deep in Geno's doghouse, even as short handed as we are

She blocked a few shots, grabbed some rebounds, scored ten points and looked like a slightly above average DI center in a game where her team clearly needed her to do something great................not what one would expect of the best player in WCBB as MM has called her or even your run of the mill All American...........she'll probably g0 20/10 in an easy 25 point win next time out..........too little too late as far as I'm concerned.......

Reaction Score
Very sloppy game, from what I saw. Both teams not in the sort of physical shape we (UCONN) are used to seeing. Lot of one-on-one offense from both sides, not what Muffett wants to see for certain. Seems as if Holly wanted to run things that way, for the most part.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Turner didn't have the shoulder brace on. So I'm guessing the shoulder is ok. I tought Diamond was the best player on the floor in the game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Very sad that TN won last night. Always like to see them lose.

Surprised by ND. Usually Muffett gets more out of her team than she should. This game (and kinda this year) she seems to be getting less than the parts combined.

Credit to TN though, they stepped up and won the game. Kinda unusual for them too.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
That doesn't explain why Turner can look unstoppable for 5 minutes in the game then miss point blank bunnies for the next 15 minutes.. It sound like she has the yips.

Turner was going up against 6'6" Mercedes. Sometimes, you simply have to give credit to the defense. Mercedes has movement has improved tremendously now that she's 2 years removed from major foot surgery to both feet.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Very sloppy game, from what I saw. Both teams not in the sort of physical shape we (UCONN) are used to seeing. Lot of one-on-one offense from both sides, not what Muffett wants to see for certain. Seems as if Holly wanted to run things that way, for the most part.

It's called defense that takes the opponent out of their offense. TN did the same thing to Stanford. Disruptive defense, which is not easy to do.

Reaction Score
Allen has gotten worse as a PG since Jewell left for the WNBA, and Notre Dame has lost games they shouldn't have. The current players don't seem to have the same amount of confidence as Skylar, or Jewell.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch the game until 5-minutes left. The one thing I remember was Turner backing away from Tenn player about to shoot instead of coming up to guard her. Of course Tenn made the shot and I was completely dumbfounded. Turner has not turned out to be the player I expected her to be.

She would have been benched at UConn and deep in Geno's doghouse, even as short handed as we are

Because ND had been getting burned on Mercedes, who set the screen, rolling to the basket and getting easy points. Turner stayed back to protect for that play. Muffett commented that they did not defend that action well on several plays. They'll learn from it.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I don't think Allen has gotten worse. She's gotten better, but she's got alot more responsibility now and doesn't have a superstar guard that takes up the attention and leaves her wide open. Also, the TN defense, with the improvement of MeMe and Diamond, has better perimeter defense than in previous years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Turner was going up against 6'6" Mercedes. Sometimes, you simply have to give credit to the defense. Mercedes has movement has improved tremendously now that she's 2 years removed from major foot surgery to both feet.
Not in this case. Turner was missing layups when Mercedes was not even in the same zip code.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
rightfully so, go Margo... boast and brag

Thanks Daddy for posting the latest podcast from "Ya girl Margo/Margot". I was hoping someone would. I always enjoy watching and listening to her share her latest thoughts and observations on the Lady Vols. I watched the game last night. I thought I got a quick glimpse of her sitting in a front row seat, as the camera panned the crowd.

A great home win, and a big overall confidence boost for their program against a top 10 team. It will be interesting to see how far down the Irish drop in the rankings after losing to an unranked team. The thing about this game was, as UConn fans (based on our feelings for both teams), we were going to be happy no matter who won, because one of them had to lose.

Because Tennessee is no longer ranked, or a major player on the WCBB landscape, and is currently experiencing some internal issues, I see Notre Dame as being our biggest and most fierce rival. So anytime the Irish lose (that includes football), I'm happy. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

that may have been a part of it but Turner showed absolutely no movement, she was one step away from being comatose out there...........Collier would have eaten Russell alive

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
that may have been a part of it but Turner showed absolutely no movement, she was one step away from being comatose out there......Collier would have eaten Russell alive

Charlie, if I could give you 10 likes on your response, I would have. :cool:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
that may have been a part of it but Turner showed absolutely no movement, she was one step away from being comatose out there......Collier would have eaten Russell alive

I highly doubt Collier would have eaten Mercedes alive. There hasn't been an elite center that has done that all season, especially not if the opponent is a true post player that operates around the rim. Mercedes has owned match ups against similar sized opponents.

What hurts Turner is that she is out of position. She's a forward and not a center. She is best suited for facing up and not playing back to the basket. Out of necessity, she's playing at the center spot. Her back to the basket moves just aren't there. That's not her game. She typically gets away with playing out of position, because there aren't alot of elite centers. All you have to do is watch Turner's footwork when her back is to the basket. Just because a player is 6'3", doesn't mean they should be playing the center position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There hasn't been an elite center that has done that all season, especially not if the opponent is a true post player that operates around the rim. Mercedes has owned match ups against similar sized opponents. What hurts Turner is that she is out of position. She's a forward and not a center. She is best suited for facing up and not playing back to the basket. Out of necessity, she's playing at the center spot. Her back to the basket moves just aren't there. That's not her game. She typically gets away with playing out of position, because there aren't alot of elite centers. All you have to do is watch Turner's footwork when her back is to the basket. Just because a player is 6'3", doesn't mean they should be playing the center position.
Good lord! Mercedes to her credit has played well against fairly good centers (Baylor, Texas, Kentucky) but no player on a team with 6 losses thus far in the season "owns anybody". I struggling to find the "elite" center on the Ole Miss roster when Mercedes was 4 of 14 and snagged only a 1/2 dozen rebounds. Let's not get carried away. Funny you should note that Turner is playing out of position and not that Napheesa is also. Good win against ND, enjoy it. This is UCONN and .....

UCONN.jpg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She blocked a few shots, grabbed some rebounds, scored ten points and looked like a slightly above average DI center in a game where her team clearly needed her to do something great......not what one would expect of the best player in WCBB as MM has called her or even your run of the mill All American......she'll probably g0 20/10 in an easy 25 point win next time out.....too little too late as far as I'm concerned..
Charlie I agree 100% with you and don't understand the media infatuation with Turner. Last year she should get kudos for dealing with the shoulder issue which Muffet freely pointed out all the time (sometimes too much so). She doesn't step up in the big moment but should we be surprised, after all they haven't won since 2001 with Ruth Riley! Sorry Coco I usually endorse your views however I beg to differ with your support of Turner here. Do you have any supporting evidence the shoulder is not 100%? Seems to me if she wasn't MM would be extolling that at all opportunity. I had mixed feelings on that game last night as ND losing and Holly winning helps UConn all around but part of me wanted to see ND prove itself and have Tenn get definitive on removing Holly. Neither will happen now.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder how much ND overall approach, and mental approach, to the season changed after the loss at home to uconn. Followed by UCONN wins over Maryland and anyone else ranked.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I highly doubt Collier would have eaten Mercedes alive. There hasn't been an elite center that has done that all season, especially not if the opponent is a true post player that operates around the rim. Mercedes has owned match ups against similar sized opponents.

What hurts Turner is that she is out of position. She's a forward and not a center. She is best suited for facing up and not playing back to the basket. Out of necessity, she's playing at the center spot. Her back to the basket moves just aren't there. That's not her game. She typically gets away with playing out of position, because there aren't alot of elite centers. All you have to do is watch Turner's footwork when her back is to the basket. Just because a player is 6'3", doesn't mean they should be playing the center position.
Napheesa hits 41% of her threes and must be guarded on the perimeter. How effective would Mercedes be if she had to go out to the perimeter to guard Napheesa, then all Pheesa has to do is blow by her? If Napheesa is stopped by Mercedes (and I like the kid, Mercedes, a lot), all she has to pass the ball to Gabby. They've got an impressive feel for each other on the court.

Reaction Score

I've seen a bunch of Tennessee games this year and they certainly are an underachieving bunch........ Russell has improved markedly this season and I would place her as one of the top centers in WCBB...........if you've watched Collier this season you wouldn't have to be a rocket scientist to know that she would confound Ms. Russell at every offensive turn, inside and out.........her beauty is that she is not a center...........she's a hybrid forward who just happens to be able to play inside as well as any player I have seen this season.......and if the inside game isn't there she will take you out to the three point line............I'm not aware of a true center that could come close to covering her.............as for Ms Turner, if she's a forward, she's a forward who doesn't appear to have a consistent front to the basket or a back to the basket game.............I certainly wouldn't trade Collier for her................

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Based on a cursory search through the archives:
January 17, 2011. Exactly six years ago!

It's far from certain that they'll fall more than 4 spots next Monday, but they might.
Thanks for the info on that!
Was curious. Thought it might have been longer.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks Daddy for posting the latest podcast from "Ya girl Margo/Margot". I was hoping someone would. I always enjoy watching and listening to her share her latest thoughts and observations on the Lady Vols. I watched the game last night. I thought I got a quick glimpse of her sitting in a front row seat, as the camera panned the crowd.

A great home win, and a big overall confidence boost for their program against a top 10 team. It will be interesting to see how far down the Irish drop in the rankings after losing to an unranked team. The thing about this game was, as UConn fans (based on our feelings for both teams), we were going to be happy no matter who won, because one of them had to lose.

Because Tennessee is no longer ranked, or a major player on the WCBB landscape, and is currently experiencing some internal issues, I see Notre Dame as being our biggest and most fierce rival. So anytime the Irish lose (that includes football), I'm happy. :)
I didnt post it, someone else did

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

I like you a lot but you and I know Tennessee (nor Notre Dame) isnt gonna get a lotta love on the message board... but keep fighting :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom