Tina trolls Geno | The Boneyard

Tina trolls Geno

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When Insider questions Geno’s assessment of Tina, they clearly don’t quite get Geno’s coaching style of challenging his players to get the most out of them. Tina’ comments about Geno are the kind of remark a former player might make in fun, remembering all the times Geno pushed her in practice and games.

Specifically with regard to Tina, she had enormous potential when she arrived in Storrs, but in her first two seasons her play was up and down. By her junior season Tina became a dominant player.

Geno knew exactly what he was doing when he challenged Tina’s rebounding ability.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Tina on this accomplishment.
This writer makes it sound as if Geno actually meant what he said rather than using it for motivation. We know that Geno knows how to motivate his players and it certainly did work with Tina.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
InOutsider

Get the facts. Geno never said she was worse than a dead man. ;)
I suspect (because it fits in with his comments to others) that Geno may have said after a game in which Tina played 30 minutes and got (say) 2 rebounds, that "she got 2 more rebounds than a dead man would have". However, I have no specific recollection of that.

I do have a specific recollection of a game in which Tina was playing and rebounding in a very uninspired manner, so Geno pulled her and put Megan Gardler into a game against Rutgers. Megan proceeded to get several rebounds against taller and stronger opponents. Geno could be heard on the bench looking at Tina and saying, "THAT is how you rebound."

There certainly were games in those days where Tina was operating on cruise control and was a very poor rebounder. Obviously, things changed late in her UConn career and very much in her WNBA career. In her rookie season with the Sun, she led the league in rebounding, which I don't think a rookie has done before or since. I think she just grew up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Geno has been saying stuff his entire career. I met him once at a modest fundraiser 30 years ago, pre-titles. He was funny and unguarded with an a bit of an edge. He's real, that's a part of his success. That's how he got buy-in, through the trust he engenders.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I recall Tina's soph year, being schooled by Sylvia Fowles (who was and IS a class act). In my mind, that was the game that Tina's "light" went on. I believe she realized that she couldn't operate in neutral any longer.
Geno is definitely a magician of a coach, but if a player isn't coachable, it's for naught. Tina's attitude was different IMHO, following that game.
As for Tina, I always enjoyed her bubbly personality.

Reaction Score
I was actually watching the game where this interview took place and she was clearly poking fun at Geno and also thanking him at the same time.... How many professional players refer to their college coaches in a situation like that...that shows a strong relationship.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I remember a game when Maya scored like 25 and had a bunch of steals and assists but only one rebound. When asked about May’s performance in the postgame Geno said “Maya worked her butt off for that one rebound “.

Reaction Score
You can be sure that no UConn player, no matter how good, has ever had a big head bc the moment they did Geno would torment them mercilessly with anything they did wrong.

Reaction Score
Coach Geno is one of a kind. Where could we start to answer 'why?. From personally watching him recruit in the early 90's while an assistant at UVa to becoming the best overall coach in any sport. Whatever platitudes I state, there are more and more than I could mention.
He is extremely smart and incredibly personable. People seem to want to be around him....parents and recruits melt over his charm...he is a 'natural'. He reads young people like a book and that book demands characteristics that meet Geno's 'must-haves'. He has the ability to read into a prospect's potential and mostly gets it right. Most of his players love him as a coach and person.
Yes, he is incredibly demanding and uses his toughness to help a young woman grow. The tactics used on such as Tina Charles, Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, and yes, Nika Muhl all have a purpose. In short, he gets the most out of the majority of his kids. Just look at what Geno has developed.

Let us hope that Coach gives us fans a few more years.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I remember seeing Tina for the first time in a game in Westchester NY playing for the Brooklyn Saints. She was young and not very tall. A year or two later she was pretty good and pretty tall. The rest is history.

Reaction Score
I recall Tina's soph year, being schooled by Sylvia Fowles (who was and IS a class act). In my mind, that was the game that Tina's "light" went on. I believe she realized that she couldn't operate in neutral any longer.
Geno is definitely a magician of a coach, but if a player isn't coachable, it's for naught. Tina's attitude was different IMHO, following that game.
As for Tina, I always enjoyed her bubbly personality.

It wasn't. It was her frosh year. That same year UCONN beat LSU during the reg season in which Tina got 17 points and 9 rebounds. In her frosh year Tina got Honorable Mention A/A. In her soph year 3rd team A/A. In her jr year got 1st team within top ten A/A. The light was on from the beginning. She was just young going through a natural progression that many young players go through. But unfortunately the light light never seemed to be turned on for the writer that wrote the article. It's debatable if the light will ever be turned on for some of these writers.

Reaction Score
Coach Geno is one of a kind. Where could we start to answer 'why?. From personally watching him recruit in the early 90's while an assistant at UVa to becoming the best overall coach in any sport. Whatever platitudes I state, there are more and more than I could mention.
He is extremely smart and incredibly personable. People seem to want to be around him....parents and recruits melt over his charm...he is a 'natural'. He reads young people like a book and that book demands characteristics that meet Geno's 'must-haves'. He has the ability to read into a prospect's potential and mostly gets it right. Most of his players love him as a coach and person.
Yes, he is incredibly demanding and uses his toughness to help a young woman grow. The tactics used on such as Tina Charles, Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, and yes, Nika Muhl all have a purpose. In short, he gets the most out of the majority of his kids. Just look at what Geno has developed.

Let us hope that Coach gives us fans a few more years.
Geno was hired in August 1985 at UConn… from UVa. You missed a decade.

Reaction Score
Geno was hired in August 1985 at UConn… from UVa. You missed a decade.
It was some time ago...got my years wrong...thanks....everything else is the complete truth...he recruited a few of my kids

Reaction Score
It wasn't. It was her frosh year. That same year UCONN beat LSU during the reg season in which Tina got 17 points and 9 rebounds. In her frosh year Tina got Honorable Mention A/A. In her soph year 3rd team A/A. In her jr year got 1st team within top ten A/A. The light was on from the beginning. She was just young going through a natural progression that many young players go through. But unfortunately the light light never seemed to be turned on for the writer that wrote the article. It's debatable if the light will ever be turned on for some of these writers.
That's right... and didn't she keep a picture of Fowles blocking her or such on her locker as a reminder for a year or two after that first game between them?

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Didn't mean to "set you off" with my memory lapse. I tried to find the game on replays and lack of such reruns, left me with an aged memory at best. At my age, the "light" gets a little dimmer every day. I'm happy for you that your memory is as sharp as it is. I will consult with you in the future before I rely on my recollection. I do appreciate your correction however. The fact still remains that Tina was schooled by Sylvia and she made use of the lesson. Sorry I had the year wrong. It must be difficult for those of you who are never wrong and have to put up with those of us who are, at times.
Have a good day and try to enjoy the BY with all of us who have no light on.

Reaction Score
Didn't mean to "set you off" with my memory lapse. I tried to find the game on replays and lack of such reruns, left me with an aged memory at best. At my age, the "light" gets a little dimmer every day. I'm happy for you that your memory is as sharp as it is. I will consult with you in the future before I rely on my recollection. I do appreciate your correction however. The fact still remains that Tina was schooled by Sylvia and she made use of the lesson. Sorry I had the year wrong. It must be difficult for those of you who are never wrong and have to put up with those of us who are, at times.
Have a good day and try to enjoy the BY with all of us who have no light on.

Huh? You think you set me off? Where did I suggest you didn't have the light on? I spoke of the writer (Did you think I was referring to you when I said "writer?"). Not you. I just disagreed with you about light on for Tina and the year (Frosh year vs Soph is lot different) but sorry if you thought I was ripping you. No way my intent.

And you are right yes an experienced tremendous junior - (is an all-time great in Fowles) "schooled" a freshman in the NCAA Tourney.

By the way, in comparison of Tina's as a frosh vs Liv. Liv is projected to be a 1st round pick in the WNBA. I can't recall any games that Liv had in her 3 years so far that equaled what Tina did vs Fowles. And looking at the stats of Tina's frosh year vs Liv's 3- Tina's frosh year is better than any of Liv'sr 3. Does Liv have her lights off too? Maybe- I don't think so but if some think so -okay.

Anyhow it was the writer suggesting that Geno said she couldn't rebound -- which the writer completely misinterpreted Geno's comment was my issue. It was not my intent to suggest you didn't have the lights on. Please don't take it that way. Just because we disagree when Tina had her lights on doesn't mean I think your lights are off.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Huh? You think you set me off? Where did I suggest you didn't have the light on? I spoke of the writer (Did you think I was referring to you when I said "writer?"). Not you. I just disagreed with you about light on for Tina and the year (Frosh year vs Soph is lot different) but sorry if you thought I was ripping you. No way my intent.

And you are right yes an experienced tremendous junior - (is an all-time great in Fowles) "schooled" a freshman in the NCAA Tourney.

By the way, in comparison of Tina's as a frosh vs Liv. Liv is projected to be a 1st round pick in the WNBA. I can't recall any games that Liv had in her 3 years so far that equaled what Tina did vs Fowles. And looking at the stats of Tina's frosh year vs Liv's 3- Tina's frosh year is better than any of Liv'sr 3. Does Liv have her lights off too? Maybe- I don't think so but if some think so -okay.

Anyhow it was the writer suggesting that Geno said she couldn't rebound -- which the writer completely misinterpreted Geno's comment was my issue. It was not my intent to suggest you didn't have the lights on. Please don't take it that way. Just because we disagree when Tina had her lights on doesn't mean I think your lights are off.
Sorry, didn't see the separation from this writer and that writer.
Thanks for the clarification.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom