Tina Charles traded to Mystics | The Boneyard

Tina Charles traded to Mystics

Reaction Score
Oh wow! Can’t believe she left New York, I thought she wanted a title for New York as bad as Lebron wanted one for Cleveland. I really think they’ll(Liberty) be fine in the next few years because Ionescu has that effect. The Mystics needed a rebounder and someone who can guard big players, Tina fills that role. I can see them repeating, but it’ll be tough because they lost Toliver.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Happy for Tina. Deserves a chance for a championship. Liberty are in rebuilding mode but I think will put it together in a few years

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow Mystics made out like bandits. This has to be one of the most lopsided trades in WNBA history. Basically traded a franchise player in Tina Charles for a playoff benchwarmer (SWK), the 12th pick in a weak draft, and three picks in an even weaker 2021 draft. On top of that, the draft picks from the 2021 draft likely will be toward the bottom of each round too.

Reaction Score
Make that 6 wows with me included. One thing to note, there is a huge possibility that Emma Meesemann will not play for the Mystics beyond this season. She only signed for only one year.

I wish the Wizards of DC could make trades like this.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A shocker - but maybe not.

The Liberty are a mess. Moved out of the city, poor ownership and a terrible coach. As stated above, chance to play for a coach she really liked.

Good for Tina. I hope she earns that elusive championship.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Make that 6 wows with me included. One thing to note, there is a huge possibility that Emma Meesemann will not play for the Mystics beyond this season. She only signed for only one year.

I wish the Wizards of DC could make trades like this.

Mystics got lucky with EDD refusing to play unless she was traded to the Mystics, wouldn't be surprised if Tina's situation was similar in that she wanted out and was only willing to play for a title contender. Only thing that makes sense to me since the Liberty are essentially trading her for a couple of role players.

Reaction Score
Wow Mystics made out like bandits. This has to be one of the most lopsided trades in WNBA history. Basically traded a franchise player in Tina Charles for a playoff benchwarmer (SWK), the 12th pick in a weak draft, and three picks in an even weaker 2021 draft. On top of that, the draft picks from the 2021 draft likely will be toward the bottom of each round too.
Liberty get 2 first round picks and the 3rd pick of the second round for THIS draft. So they'll have the #1,9,12 and 15 picks. Plus the 2021 picks, SWK & Taylor Hill. Liberty are going for it. They can probably get Hebard with 9 or 12. The Mystics don't need the draft choices, and shore up their middle with Tina.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As noted, Emma doesn't have a long-term contract, but Tina and Elena will take a great combination. I'm glad we got a former Husky on the local team.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Liberty get 2 first round picks and the 3rd pick of the second round for THIS draft. So they'll have the #1,9,12 and 15 picks. Plus the 2021 picks, SWK & Taylor Hill. Liberty are going for it. They can probably get Hebard with 9 or 12. The Mystics don't need the draft choices, and shore up their middle with Tina.

Thanks for clarifying. Still think Mystics massively won this trade. Taylor Hill might not make the roster and 2021 2nd/3rd round picks are worthless, so they basically traded Tina for an end of bench Mystics player, and the 9/12/15 picks in a weak draft. Whoever they draft at 9 has potential to be solid (likely one of Hebard/Mompremier/Alarie), but my guess is that the #12/15 draft picks will be end of bench players for a couple of years and disappear from the league altogether. Amazed they couldn't get more for Tina, either in the form of a higher draft pick or a half decent post player.

Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying. Still think Mystics massively won this trade. Taylor Hill might not make the roster and 2021 2nd/3rd round picks are worthless, so they basically traded Tina for an end of bench Mystics player, and the 9/12/15 picks in a weak draft. Whoever they draft at 9 has potential to be solid (likely one of Hebard/Mompremier/Alarie), but my guess is that the #12/15 draft picks will be end of bench players for a couple of years and disappear from the league altogether. Amazed they couldn't get more for Tina, either in the form of a higher draft pick or a half decent post player.
They should’ve gotten Tianna Hawkins and Walker-Kimbrough together at least

Reaction Score
They can probably get Hebard with 9 or 12.
I was thinking the same thing about teaming Sabrina and Ruthy up again from the get go with the Liberty. It's amazing how close Tina Charles college stats are to Ruthy's:
GFGFG PctFTFT PctREBR/
gm
A/
TO
B+S
/gm
Min
/gm
PtsPts/
gm
TC
152​
968​
.61​
410​
.64​
1367​
8.99​
.59​
2.68​
25.5​
2346​
15.4​
RH
144​
987​
.65​
394​
.69​
1299​
9.02​
.57​
2.19​
28.7​
2368​
16.4​

They both averaged the same in rebounds and neither scored a 3 pointer in college (though Tina tried 1). Ruthy had more points/steals and a better FG & FT% while Tina had more assists & blocks and played less minutes per game. The Ducks needed Ruthy playing more minutes since they had no effective big back-up. Both players played their best bball their senior years when Tina played her most minutes while Ruthy played her least minutes, but still more than Tina in minutes/game.

No doubt the Liberty will miss Charles and even if they get hebard, it's a stretch to say she can duplicate what Tina does. Still the trade will cement Sabrina as the face of the franchise. If they can add Ruthy there are even more pluses. as Sabrina/ & Ruthy's chemistry is incredible. They were roommates for 3 years at Oregon. For two west coast kids moving out East it might help the transition. As for their play, announcers often likened them to Stockton and Malone. They played 4 years together, were both incredibly productive, and brought winning to a school that had never won before. Maybe they can do that for the Liberty.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing about teaming Sabrina and Ruthy up again from the get go with the Liberty. It's amazing how close Tina Charles college stats are to Ruthy's:
GFGFG PctFTFT PctREBR/
gm
A/
TO
B+S
/gm
Min
/gm
PtsPts/
gm
TC
152​
968​
.61​
410​
.64​
1367​
8.99​
.59​
2.68​
25.5​
2346​
15.4​
RH
144​
987​
.65​
394​
.69​
1299​
9.02​
.57​
2.19​
28.7​
2368​
16.4​

They both averaged the same in rebounds and neither scored a 3 pointer in college (though Tina tried 1). Ruthy had more points/steals and a better FG & FT% while Tina had more assists & blocks and played less minutes per game. The Ducks needed Ruthy playing more minutes since they had no effective big back-up. Both players played their best bball their senior years when Tina played her most minutes while Ruthy played her least minutes, but still more than Tina in minutes/game.

No doubt the Liberty will miss Charles and even if they get hebard, it's a stretch to say she can duplicate what Tina does. Still the trade will cement Sabrina as the face of the franchise. If they can add Ruthy there are even more pluses. as Sabrina/ & Ruthy's chemistry is incredible. They were roommates for 3 years at Oregon. For two west coast kids moving out East it might help the transition. As for their play, announcers often likened them to Stockton and Malone. They played 4 years together, were both incredibly productive, and brought winning to a school that had never won before. Maybe they can do that for the Liberty.

I think Hebard will be good, especially with Ionescu, but there's no comparing her and Charles. Charles is a franchise player, an Olympian and a WNBA MVP. Hebard could become a solid WNBA player but just doesnt compare.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the strain of being the go to player on a losing team had take it's tole. Ir was only magnified being at home and it affected her play on the court last year. Tina must have pushed hard for a trade to the Mystics. Liberty probably got as much as could be expected under those circumstances. Hoping Liberty can get Hebbard at #9. She works so well with Sabrina.

Reaction Score
Oh wow! Can’t believe she left New York, I thought she wanted a title for New York as bad as Lebron wanted one for Cleveland.
Remember Lebron had to leave Cleveland to Miami (who had recently won a championship with Wade & Shaq. He won down there before he came back to win in Cleveland. Tina now gets to team up withe the defending champion who still have EDD. After she wins down there maybe she comes back.

Still one other big difference Lebron got that Cleveland team to to the championship series and won several series there, which Tina never did for the Liberty or the Sun. She had incredible regular seasons but in her 10 seasons, she's been to the playoffs only 5 times with only twice getting to the semis. She has been 4-11 overall in the playoffs on those two teams. Maybe Sabrina can take a losing franchise to start winnign again much like she did with Oregon who hadn't been to the NCAA tourney since 2005, but her freshman (rookie year) she took them all the way to the elite 8 and they repeated and bettered it each of her next 3 years. We will see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom