Time to quit lurking at VN ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time to quit lurking at VN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
People become realistic after a well, you can't deny when something is good even if you initially hated it. It very stressful to keep lying and coming up with weak excuses. Give people their props you'll feel better and it will make you a better person
Exactly. This is how I came to grips with my Shake Shack addiction. Hated it the first couple of times. It was indeed very stressful trying to come up with new routes to get home to avoid going by the shack. Finally during my annual physical I said Doc tell me about this Lipitor. Doc hooked me up and now when I go by the shack I'm greeted like Norm from Cheers.
Now I have no problems paying homage to a classic product. And peep this, they opened a Shake Shack in the Wachovia center where the Sixers play. So Now I have season tickets to the Sixers- which couldn't possibly be for the basketball right?

Reaction Score
The "New Big Three" thread was very interesting to read. It reminds me of my study of Japanese medieval dynasties. Shogun dynasties in Kyoto would fall to a new rural warlord. The victorious clan then moved into the city to rule. One to three generations later, having gotten away from the tougher, more disciplined lifestyle that won them the dynasty, they too would fall to a stronger, tougher, and more ambitious rural warlord. If the fallen dynasty wasn't hunted into extinction, they would flee into the wilderness and try to rebuild themselves into what they were before their move to Kyoto. In Japan, it was almost always futile. The island nation was too small to hide. Those dynasties that resisted this decay lasted. The VolNation wants a return to glory. Uconn will only remain a dominant dynasty as long as the current culture, mind-set, hunger, discipline, recruitment standards and toughness remains a part of Uconn wbb.

With 1:16 left in the third quarter, KLS fouled Turner as Lindsey Allen lobbed a pass over Lou's head. Napheesa and Gabby closed on Turner quickly and disrupted the pass. Lou couldn't believe the referees called a foul on her, as she thought Turner had grab her arm to establish position. Gabby tapped Lou lovingly on the side of the head and said, "We got your back". Cultural Mind-set. This is why I admire Geno, CD, and UConn's achievement.

Reaction Score
I followed it too. The change in tone after the win at ND was really amazing: an earlier thread was entitled something like UConn is in trouble!

What I still don't understand is how all those good recruits are now signing onto TN with so much demonstrable trouble with the coaching. I realize that they've got to the Elite 8 last year, and that there's lots of opportunity for playing time going forward, but there is still such danger for an elite player to end up there. Holly's pressers are evidence enough of the issues.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced that some of the posters on VN are UConn fans incognito.
Some are obvious, others less so.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced that some of the posters on VN are UConn fans incognito.
Some are obvious, others less so.
Don't think so. Probably just acknowledging Geno's basketball acumen as it's pretty hard to deny at this point. Lady Vol fans, like UConn fans, appreciate good basketball. What's not to like about the UConn WCBB program? It runs clean, there's never even a whisper of recruiting impropriety (besides Coach Summit ten years ago making dubious accusations), they are true student-athletes (see Gabby wanting to get back to campus after the ND game because she had two finals the next day), and are the ultimate model of hard workers leading to success.

Reaction Score
I know we're all a little bit crazy, especially given our obsession with UConn WCBB, so maybe we all need help, but lurking on a Tenn forum? Really?? OK, watching my girlfriend, Margeaux, that I can understand, though she appears to have gone underground this season, but a Tenn forum?...you guys really ought to think about some professional counseling!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
just understand VN (Vol Nation) is a totally different forum than "The Summitt"... the Summitt did the 30 something page report on UConn regarding EDD, Doty, Signs etc.

The Summitt is the real original rival to the Boneyard.

Vol Nation became the "go to site" due to the Summitt changing to a "pay to view" message board.

Vol Notion posters are cool, more realistic and don't wear orange-colored shades as much as the poster on "The Summitt".

traffic, comments etc. may be at an all-time low on the Summitt
traffic on Vol Nation (VN) is pretty good.

you can only see the " subject titles" on the Summitt unless you're a paid subscriber (I think you can have a 7 day free trial) The SUmmiTT - InsideTennessee.com Forums - Scout

Vol Nation is free, open to the public but you must have a screen name (I use the same name wherever I go) to post or like a comment. Tennessee Lady Vols - VolNation

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... In Japan, it was almost always futile...
Fairly few feudal feuds found fortune? Fascinating.
upload_2016-12-9_22-19-2.png

Reaction Score
arty155 said "Fairly few feudal feuds found fortune"

Say that three times quickly!

Reaction Score
I read and post at VN just like here because I am a fan of the sport and of high quality programs. Yes, I still consider UT to be of high quality due to their pedigree, fan support, facilities, recruiting success and the talent is impressive on paper. UConn may be at the top of the heap with a half dozen others not too far below, but UT is better than their record has indicated the past two years.

Warlick deserves credit for keeping the program steady during a difficult transition. She was hand picked for the job and I don't think anyone in the LV camp was rooting against her, especially the first few years. The last two years the "Fire Holly" cries have gotten a little ridiculous but clearly something is wrong with the program. The loses don't bother me as much as the way they are losing. I'm far from a basketball expert but I've watched enough of it to know the LVs have no clear offensive pattern, lack quickness and depth to play man to man defense, and simply get rattled too easily.

Last year I posted a change probably was needed. Elzy left and Reeves was hired. She helped get a recruiting class that looks great on paper. If this downward trend continues, another change may have to come. Warlick is safe for this year unless they completely miss the tourney or have a full blown mutiny but there is no doubt the clock is ticking.

Reaction Score
Weird: When I read the title of this thread, I couldn't help but to think of "Airplane!"

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."

Reaction Score
just understand VN (Vol Nation) is a totally different forum than "The Summitt"... the Summitt did the 30 something page report on UConn regarding EDD, Doty, Signs etc.

The Summitt is the real original rival to the Boneyard.

Vol Nation became the "go to site" due to the Summitt changing to a "pay to view" message board.

Vol Notion posters are cool, more realistic and don't wear orange-colored shades as much as the poster on "The Summitt".

traffic, comments etc. may be at an all-time low on the Summitt
traffic on Vol Nation (VN) is pretty good.

you can only see the " subject titles" on the Summitt unless you're a paid subscriber (I think you can have a 7 day free trial) The SUmmiTT - InsideTennessee.com Forums - Scout

Vol Nation is free, open to the public but you must have a screen name (I use the same name wherever I go) to post or like a comment. Tennessee Lady Vols - VolNation

in Vol Nation, they can grudgingly admire and respect UConn and Geno from afar, but they jump all over you if you do so as a UConn fan. The Summitt is a dying site until Tennessee becomes relevant again. Who is going to pay for that?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
in Vol Nation, they can grudgingly admire and respect UConn and Geno from afar, but they jump all over you if you do so as a UConn fan. The Summitt is a dying site until Tennessee becomes relevant again. Who is going to pay for that?
they are mean when a UConn fan defends UConn on their board... they want to say it themselves and don't need us to agree with them lol.
The Summitt has some old loyalist who will remain there and pay whatever to be a part of the clique. It has to be boring to play from behind the fence and dont let others in.

its funny how some from both boards come to the Boneyard and freely post with no problems overall (mostly because UConn is winning and we can pound our chest).

just wait for the first loss... both board will be crazy. They were expecting UConn to lose against ND (as was many of us), it didn't happen and they were steaming.

On the Summitt they wouldn't even mention UConn but now they almost don't have a choice, as they wait for the loss. Where is Aurabass?

(they are currently reading this this thread which is weird)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are three team forums that are really active and have good posters with interesting ideas and are free -
The Boneyard - #1 in activity, intelligence, and civility :rolleyes: And active year around.
Vol Nation - #2 in activity, still a lot of hate for Uconn and Geno, but pretty interesting stuff. Pretty active year around.
BaylorFans - #3 in activity, very civil, and some smart posters, pretty quiet off season.

If you want to get offended any one of the sites will raise the temperature of your ire if you are a fan of any other school - it is the nature of fans: 'our team, player, and coaches are brilliant and every other school's team, players, and coaches are weak, incompetent, _____ '- fill in the blank. But, if you select threads judiciously, and just ignore the more fanatical posts and posters - they are good sources of information on the SEC and Big12, and give a different perspective on the common opponents. And interesting ideas about the game of basketball.

The other forums - McGrawsBench - hate the format - so difficult to read a thread start to finish. Cockytalk - combined mens/womens site so you have to search the threads to find the women's ones, and just not that active yet.

The Boneyard has the largest active community of visitors from other teams and is therefore generally more welcoming (we get best class of visitors, too! :cool:), but the other two boards don't bite too deeply as long as the visitors are too confrontational.

There was another interesting thread on VolNation this year - 'Other team's fans', querying why fans of other teams visit VolNation or Vol fans would visit other fan sites. Some interesting posts - Other Team Fans - VolNation

Reaction Score
It is not often we drag other boards' contents here,
It is sometimes against BY policy if the mods think so.
I feel today I can post a few gems.

1. From Cocky Talk during/after the SCAR/DUKE game.

USC1: why can't UCONN be human and ever have an off night? Always the gamecocks.
CockHornLeghorn: Because Geno won't have it.

2. I posted this from the Vol Nation earlier. It is worth a repeat.

Teejay5952: I think Baylor will beat uconn by 10+ tonight.

After 3 quarters

Amb3096: If Baylor doesn't take care of business in the 4Q, I fear there is no hope this season.

And after the game

Gule: the demise of UConn was sadly mistaken.

3. Hope springs eternal:

LadyVolfanforever: ...but Anastasia Hayes team beat Dangerfields team in the TN state championship.

4. Answer near the top to a preseason thread titled
You are the Athletic Director, Hire your Lady Vols Coaching staff?

GetEmVols: Geno and whoever he wants to hire.
This would have considered apostasy not long ago.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
There are three team forums that are really active and have good posters with interesting ideas and are free -
The Boneyard - #1 in activity, intelligence, and civility :rolleyes: And active year around.
Vol Nation - #2 in activity, still a lot of hate for Uconn and Geno, but pretty interesting stuff. Pretty active year around.
BaylorFans - #3 in activity, very civil, and some smart posters, pretty quiet off season.

If you want to get offended any one of the sites will raise the temperature of your ire if you are a fan of any other school - it is the nature of fans: 'our team, player, and coaches are brilliant and every other school's team, players, and coaches are weak, incompetent, _____ '- fill in the blank. But, if you select threads judiciously, and just ignore the more fanatical posts and posters - they are good sources of information on the SEC and Big12, and give a different perspective on the common opponents. And interesting ideas about the game of basketball.

The other forums - McGrawsBench - hate the format - so difficult to read a thread start to finish. Cockytalk - combined mens/womens site so you have to search the threads to find the women's ones, and just not that active yet.

The Boneyard has the largest active community of visitors from other teams and is therefore generally more welcoming (we get best class of visitors, too! :cool:), but the other two boards don't bite too deeply as long as the visitors are too confrontational.

There was another interesting thread on VolNation this year - 'Other team's fans', querying why fans of other teams visit VolNation or Vol fans would visit other fan sites. Some interesting posts - Other Team Fans - VolNation
what about DevilsDen? #Duke

Reaction Score
I read, I think in the Uconn sun trouble thread, Uconn basically wins because the refs are in their side. They dont get called for fouls or something like that. Not all of them want to admit Uconn is good. Just "lucky"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

they showed me a lotta love in that Vol Nation "Other Team Fans" thread... 'preicate that

Reaction Score
they showed me a lotta love in that Vol Nation "Other Team Fans" thread... 'preicate that
Timely post for me since have started looking at other sites. Is there a Notre Dame women's basketball blog anyone would recommend? Have seen McGraw's Bench on Insider - in my opinion not worth a lot of time. Not very creative or insightful posters-50%+ just clear leading or second guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom