Time to quit lurking at VN ? | The Boneyard

Time to quit lurking at VN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Perhaps ?

They actually have a thread about UConn's "new big three" and it's turned into continuous commentary about how Geno has done it. And the serious superlatives, complimentary phrases, and thoughtful insights are enough to bring tears to an old Nutmegger's disbelieving eyes.

What's the world coming to ?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I just read that thread. It is really amusing that so many posters feel obliged to preface their praise with things like; "Geno may be an ass, but..." or "I hate Kia Nurse, but...". lol

Reaction Score
The best was this one:

"UConn has won 83 or 84 in a row. That's the 3rd best win streak in a row 2nd behind John Wooden's 88. Who's first in that record they are chasing? They are chasing themselves. The record is 90 owned by UConn

They have won the last 4 NC's in a row threatening after last nite to make it 5.

They've won something like 123 out of the last 124 games

Another poster said thev'e lost only 14 games over the last 10 years. I would not doubt that although I didn't check it.

They are 11-0 in NC games.

This is not good. There is no superlative for just &*%%&#$& great/outstanding/unbelievable that accomplishment really is.

Like him or hate him but this guy is a freaking basketball genius and a genius at motivating his players. And is he a recruiter? .... it all starts with the persona of the young women he recruits. It's people first with basketball skills coming along for the ride because he will hone most he recruits into highly polished basketball art. Those that can't take that grind transfer out.

No one has to like this man. But he deserves nothing but praise. To call him good is a disservice. He is a one of a kind thus far. Pat Summitt was a GREAT coach no question. I admire her greatly. UConn 4 LV 0 in NC games. Now that is against a legend in Pat"

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I thought the BY was at or close to its best when WBB was losing one of its greatest pioneers and icons in PHS. Might a LV site return the favor to the extent some things are more important than an old rivalry that's no longer even played (i.e., even a basketball game not involving the LVs)?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The best was this one:

"UConn has won 83 or 84 in a row. That's the 3rd best win streak in a row 2nd behind John Wooden's 88. Who's first in that record they are chasing? They are chasing themselves. The record is 90 owned by UConn

They have won the last 4 NC's in a row threatening after last nite to make it 5.

They've won something like 123 out of the last 124 games

Another poster said thev'e lost only 14 games over the last 10 years. I would not doubt that although I didn't check it.

They are 11-0 in NC games.

This is not good. There is no superlative for just &*%%&#$& great/outstanding/unbelievable that accomplishment really is.

Like him or hate him but this guy is a freaking basketball genius and a genius at motivating his players. And is he a recruiter? .... it all starts with the persona of the young women he recruits. It's people first with basketball skills coming along for the ride because he will hone most he recruits into highly polished basketball art. Those that can't take that grind transfer out.

No one has to like this man. But he deserves nothing but praise. To call him good is a disservice. He is a one of a kind thus far. Pat Summitt was a GREAT coach no question. I admire her greatly. UConn 4 LV 0 in NC games. Now that is against a legend in Pat"
Wow, now *that*post might not go over well over there. But very nice things to have said.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had seen that thread and it gave me lots of enjoyment but I think they took it down. I do not see it anymore. They still have the fun "UConn is in trouble thread" which started before the season and quickly morphed into %&@duck** and how much better "that jerk Geno" is then Holly and Tenn is doomed until she resigns. Fun but tiresome. The "new big three" thread was much more openly UConn oriented and really got into the details of the beautiful basketball played (not just the results). It was so complementary that the hard core LVers started saying things like "If you like UConn play so much, leave and be a UConn fan". I suppose that ultimately got the thread removed.

A more LV tone replacement is the "Favorite Pat Summitt Quotes". What I found interesting and was pointed out
by some of the posters was how inspiring that her best quotes were not about basketball but effort and perseverance.

Great qualities to be sure but maybe if she had added some "innovation", her record against UConn would be better.

Just my impulse thought. Feel free to slam.

Reaction Score
I had seen that thread and it gave me lots of enjoyment but I think they took it down. I do not see it anymore. They still have the fun "UConn is in trouble thread" which started before the season and quickly morphed into %&@duck** and how much better "that jerk Geno" is then Holly and Tenn is doomed until she resigns. Fun but tiresome. The "new big three" thread was much more openly UConn oriented and really got into the details of the beautiful basketball played (not just the results). It was so complementary that the hard core LVers started saying things like "If you like UConn play so much, leave and be a UConn fan". I suppose that ultimately got the thread removed.

A more LV tone replacement is the "Favorite Pat Summitt Quotes". What I found interesting and was pointed out
by some of the posters was how inspiring that her best quotes were not about basketball but effort and perseverance.

Great qualities to be sure but maybe if she had added some "innovation", her record against UConn would be better.

The thread is still there.

Reaction Score
I just read that thread. It is really amusing that so many posters feel obliged to preface their praise with things like; "Geno may be an ass, but..." or "I hate Kia Nurse, but...". lol

The dislike for Kia Nurse on the VN Forum is really humorous. Must say something about Kia. However, there are also a number of VN fans who really like her. As one noted, "Kia is the type of teammate who provides backbone to all around her. Completely devoted to the entire team and does not know how to be selfish". Again, this come from a Vols fan. Perhaps a few BY'ers should take note, especially those who continue to insist that a new "Big Three" now drives the team.

Reaction Score
The dislike for Kia Nurse on the VN Forum is really humorous. Must say something about Kia. However, there are also a number of VN fans who really like her. As one noted, "Kia is the type of teammate who provides backbone to all around her. Completely devoted to the entire team and does not know how to be selfish". Again, this come from a Vols fan. Perhaps a few BY'ers should take note, especially those who continue to insist that a new "Big Three" now drives the team.
I believe the Lady Vols were also recruiting Kia, so their coaches must have seen the same thing in her that Geno did.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I just looked over at LV Nation and both threads are still there.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I check in to VN every once in a while to see what the mood is. They are not a bunch of happy campers, that's for sure.

The new "big three" thread is really interesting. A few posters that actual have some decent basketball knowledge. The recruiter quote was spot on. But we know that.

They may not like Geno but you can hear the respect for his accomplishments.

Reaction Score
They also said if Geno coached at TN they would be a top two team with this years team.....I agree. However, if Geno coached any of top 25 teams, they would be in the top 2. It is nice to see Geno getting the respect he deserves from teams you least expect.

Reaction Score
I like those two:
-After watching UConn's undersize posts dominate against ND, I never want to hear complaints about Tennessee losing because they lack size in the post.
6'1 and 5'11, and they were the best posts on the court.

-Gabby Williams with a completely stuffed stat sheet, and Geno chewing her out for not securing a rebound with Uconn up by 13 with 20 seconds left.
No wonder these girls are vicious. Katie Samuelson clearly is no Ann Strother. She is a mismatch made in hell for most teams.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Thought I'd take a second here to remind folks that we do have a rule against dragging posts that will "incite" from other boards/forums. "Insightful" material is always welcome. The discussion to date is O.K. but please refrain from dragging the dregs for elsewhere.

Carry on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thought I'd take a second here to remind folks that we do have a rule against dragging posts that will "incite" from other boards/forums. "Insightful" material is always welcome. The discussion to date is O.K. but please refrain from dragging the dregs for elsewhere.

Carry on.
Yep, but complimentary posts/threads are okay, right? If not feel free to delete my link.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
When I saw that thread yesterday, I thought surely the world was upside down. WAY too complimentary for that board.

But let's face it. This UConn team, expected to be vulnerable, is really hard not to like, or at least respect, with the supreme effort and just all-around willingness to ball out. This was exactly what a FSU fan said on another thread after the ND game.

HGN

Reaction Score
I read the 'New Big 3" thread at VN and it immediately came to me that they are envious of UConn's success
and depressed at their own mediocrity. As noted earlier in the blog , they are even praising Geno. Which had previously been a no-no. They probably wanted ND to beat the Huskies but now realize the greatness of the
coach guiding a team that was suppose to be in a 'down' year.

Warlick is in a bad spot in Knoxville.......Trying to fill the shoes of a true Legend in Pat Summitt. And can't
run fast enough to keep from eating the dust of another Legend in Geno. She might have been considered a
good coach in another era. But she had the misfortune to come along during the Summitt and Geno era.
According to recruiting services , she has some horses in the barn. Clydesdale's look good standing there , but they are not going to win you the Kentucky Derby.....Geno knows how to recruit.

VN fans are frustrated. And I can appreciate that. And I am glad to see a few of them finally giving Geno and The Huskies the credit they deserve.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
People become realistic after a well, you can't deny when something is good even if you initially hated it. It very stressful to keep lying and coming up with weak excuses. Give people their props you'll feel better and it will make you a better person

Reaction Score
I'm having a "duh" moment... Who is BY and VN and am I to assume that LV is Louiville? :rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm having a "duh" moment... Who is BY and VN and am I to assume that LV is Louiville? :rolleyes:

BY = Boneyard
VN = VolNation (Tennessee fan board)
LV = Lady Vols

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The VN site has been a very different one from the old Summitt that went to 'pay to view' - that one was full of vitriol and ostracized anyone who wasn't 100% LV for life, or said anything nice about another program. The VN has some of that, but is generally much more civil and has some really interesting posters. And the tenor of comments about Uconn have been getting nicer as the comments about Holly have gotten 'less nice'.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Perhaps ?

They actually have a thread about UConn's "new big three" and it's turned into continuous commentary about how Geno has done it. And the serious superlatives, complimentary phrases, and thoughtful insights are enough to bring tears to an old Nutmegger's disbelieving eyes.

What's the world coming to ?
Not much has changed in Vol Nation. They're not that bad. Alot of UConn and Geno haters. If you were to go to the Summit and see how they talk about Geno and UConn...well you would rather drink for a sewer then read the Summit .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom