Time for McCummings | The Boneyard

Time for McCummings

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Just saying - he was tied for UConn's longest run and had the longest pass last game. He makes plays. Time for him to play fulltime at QB.

Reaction Score
Just saying - he was tied for UConn's longest run and had the longest pass last game. He makes plays. Time for him to play fulltime at QB.

If he can improve his passing accuracy, he definitely deserves a shot. But it's not an easy thing to do.

Reaction Score
Even in his limited number of snaps, you see him having trouble catching the shotgun snaps and securing the ball.

We can't win games if we lose turnovers battles with any of these QBs. We need to cut down on the turnovers. My guess is the coaches don't think playing McCummings will accomplish that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

To be more accurate, he makes play. Singular.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What you want to do coming off a win is make a quarterback change, that's always the best time.

When you make a quarterback change you want to do it with a one dimensional player who turns the ball over, that's the best move.

Reaction Score
Of all the QBs McCummings strikes me as the most challenged in running an offense every down. I don't really care for the situational stuff he is in now with the option, but I can understand it. But, I just don't see the kid ready for every down under center.

Reaction Score
QB play will be a topic all season. At this point, barring injury or a long losing streak, JM is the man. With another offseason with this coaching staff, it will be interesting to see who rises to the top. I truly believe it could be SM in 2012 if he handles the ball better

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Look back at last season with the revolving door and when we settled on one, he happened to go by the name of Mr. Zach Frazier. Things ended up working out pretty well.

Reaction Score
i don't think he has proven to be an effective runner, let alone an effective passer. he has not impressed me at all; though maybe that is b/c i loath the sets we run with him in the game.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think the way they use him is perfect right now. In the future he might earn more

Reaction Score
I would have liked to have seen him trot onto the field when we had first and goal from the 1 against USF. I would have given him three shots to follow Mo into the end zone. On second down when we used him, I thought he made a good decision to try to find a seam and not to pitch the ball to LM given USF penetration's into the backfield.

I may be in the minority, but I think he should be used more. They seemed to use him more as a decoy last game rather then letting him run.

Reaction Score
I would have liked to have seen him trot onto the field when we had first and goal from the 1 against USF. I would have given him three shots to follow Mo into the end zone. On second down when we used him, I thought he made a good decision to try to find a seam and not to pitch the ball to LM given USF penetration's into the backfield.

I may be in the minority, but I think he should be used more. They seemed to use him more as a decoy last game rather then letting him run.

I thought that was good. he was keeping the ball far too high a percentage of the snaps he was in prior to Saturday. It's easy to stop him if you're not worried about him handing it off. He will be far more effective as a runner if the D has to worry about him handing it off or, God forbid, throwing a pass.

Reaction Score
What McCummings gives us is a signficnat change in offensive package out there that opposing defenses need to prepare for, and there's only so much time you have to prepare every week, so it takes a little bit away from what defenses can do to get ready for our offenses with McEntee and with McCummings. To me - that's maximizing everything we can get out of this offensive roster this year.

We've been running some jet motion, type plays with McCummings in there recently, with I think Kashif running into the backfield from the ends of the formations, and we've done some traditional option formations out of it running, and we've had wide open releases down field from the wideouts, the TE and the backs through the season with that offense. Haven't connected on them all, but they've been there.

I've also said this a 100 times. We don't have the personnel on offense to run the type of offense McCummings runs for a full game. You need a stable full of thoroughbreds in teh backfield thatc can run the ball, block, and pass receive and throw to get a full game out of the run option QB style offense. A defense will adjust to what we're capable of very quickly, and we'll be forced to throw the ball more downfield, and pitch it laterally a lot more if we try to run that offense regularly, and that's not a strength, at all. That would be bad for our offense.

There's maybe 10-12 palys a game out of that offense that a defense needs to take pretty much an entire practice to defend properly at this point. There's a lot of stuff we've done with that offense.

But again - my point - is that to try to run that offense for 60 plays a game? We'll get spanked.

Reaction Score
I thought that was good. he was keeping the ball far too high a percentage of the snaps he was in prior to Saturday. It's easy to stop him if you're not worried about him handing it off. He will be far more effective as a runner if the D has to worry about him handing it off or, God forbid, throwing a pass.

Agreed. Absolutely. With the legit threat of a pitch out, to either a continued run, or a half back pass, or the ability to actually drop back from under center and pass, or roll out and set and pass?

Then you've got something.

It's my feeling, well...more my hope, that Nebrich is being groomed to do exactly that - and essentially put the two offensive packages with McEntee and McCummings that we've got - together on the field.

C

Chief00

McCummings QB efficiency is 336 to 112 for McEntee per UConn website, so you are basing this "inaccuracy stuff" on your uninformed biases not facts. True, his opportunities have been limited but both rushing and passing he has big play written all over him.

I know it was HS not college but McCummings broke many of Doug Flutie's HS records, you don't get there by being inaccurate.

As further proof of his big play capabilities his 3 completions are for 32, 39 and 55 yards. So you get a glimpse of how a run threat at QB can open up the passing game. His completion % is 50% vs. 52% for McEntee........so the accuracy stuff is just message board mantra.

Reaction Score
McCummings QB efficiency is 336 to 112 for McEntee per UConn website, so you are basing this "inaccuracy stuff" on your uninformed biases not facts. True, his opportunities have been limited but both rushing and passing he has big play written all over him.

I know it was HS not college but McCummings broke many of Doug Flutie's HS records, you don't get there by being inaccurate.

As further proof of his big play capabilities his 3 completions are for 32, 39 and 55 yards. So you get a glimpse of how a run threat at QB can open up the passing game. His completion % is 50% vs. 52% for McEntee........so the accuracy stuff is just message board mantra.
Sorry, invalid argument. His sample size is too small to form a legitimate statistical comparison.

C

Chief00

I agree it's smaller than I would like - hence he needs to play much more. It is up to kids to take advantage of opportunities (which he has) it is up to coaches to reward guys who have performed well (which they have not done adequately IMO).

Reaction Score
I agree it's smaller than I would like - hence he needs to play much more. It is up to kids to take advantage of opportunities (which he has) it is up to coaches to reward guys who have performed well (which they have not done adequately IMO).

Have you watched the games? Have you actually seen the throws he's made? I've seen every one. One, possibly 2 good balls thrown all year. Half of this board could've hit McCombs for 6 against Iowa St. I hate to overly criticize a kid, but based on your argument you are simply looking at box scores.

C

Chief00

Have you watched the games? Have you actually seen the throws he's made? I've seen every one. One, possibly 2 good balls thrown all year. Half of this board could've hit McCombs for 6 against Iowa St. I hate to overly criticize a kid, but based on your argument you are simply looking at box scores.

What part of this don't you understand? - On a team with few big plays on Offense - in very limited playing time McCummings has some of the longest plays.....again his 3 passes are for 32, 39 and 55 yards.....where are you getting that 6 yd pass play from? Play him more - more of the much needed big plays.

Reaction Score
need a offensive spark. whatever at this point as long as we keep the game close so our defense can seal the WIN!! i'll take it like that, for now until someone on the O' takes charge like KEMBA did!!

Reaction Score
I feel like we are flasing back to prior years with QBs. Give J Mac some protection and time to set his feet and you will see some decent production. This Kid is being hammered yet he has shown the ability to be accurate and effective if he can plant his feet an throw without defenders in his face, if receivers run effective routes and then maange to catch the ball.

Reaction Score
What part of this don't you understand? - On a team with few big plays on Offense - in very limited playing time McCummings has some of the longest plays.....again his 3 passes are for 32, 39 and 55 yards.....where are you getting that 6 yd pass play from? Play him more - more of the much needed big plays.

Only because of the element of surprise. When he throws it is almost a trick play. Most tailbacks that throw the halfback option 4 times a year go 2-4 with two touchdowns but that doesn't mean they should start at QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom