Time for McCummings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time for McCummings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What part of this don't you understand? - On a team with few big plays on Offense - in very limited playing time McCummings has some of the longest plays.....again his 3 passes are for 32, 39 and 55 yards.....where are you getting that 6 yd pass play from? Play him more - more of the much needed big plays.

His big plays are largely a result of his small playing time. The more he plays the less surprise value he will have. Teams will see his tendencies more and will be able to adjust to option passes more easily.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The idea that McCummings is clearly a better QB based on fewer than 10 throws is insane.

The reason those are long passes is that they hardly ever let him pass the ball. A team would be nuts not to put 11 in the box when he comes in and dare him to throw it in time. Let's see how he handles that on a consistent basis before appointing him the savior.

Also, using Chief's logic, Jerome Dyson once had a huge game against DePaul. It's why he was a great player. That one game.

Reaction Score
I like the way they use McCummings now, but would like to see a few more passes out of him. I think the problem is that when his passes are off, they're way off. Then they seemed to get gun shy about using him to throw and it was painfully obvious that it would be an option run. There are home runs to be had.

In any event, they just have to mix up the plays with him in a little bit more, but it is improving. The same can be said about our offense in general; they've gone from horrible to mediocre. Start putting a few more in the end zone and I'll say they're OK

Reaction Score
What part of this don't you understand? - On a team with few big plays on Offense - in very limited playing time McCummings has some of the longest plays.....again his 3 passes are for 32, 39 and 55 yards.....where are you getting that 6 yd pass play from? Play him more - more of the much needed big plays.

Where are you getting that I referenced a 6 yard pass play? I said he missed McCombs for 6 (points, as in a TD) against Iowa State. Nobody within 10 yards of McCombs. And no pressure on the QB. He missed him by 5 yards.

Are you watching the games or reading box scores?

Reaction Score
Have you watched the games? Have you actually seen the throws he's made? I've seen every one. One, possibly 2 good balls thrown all year. Half of this board could've hit McCombs for 6 against Iowa St. I hate to overly criticize a kid, but based on your argument you are simply looking at box scores.

Reaction Score
The kid is 3 for 6 and two of those are for TD's! Were you at or watching last weeks game? The Bulls dropped no less than four picks!
I do not mean to disrespect J Mac ...but absolutely no lateral movement. All seven sacks are not on the O line. A mobile QB could have made something out of a few of those plays.
He and the one behind him was recruited to do what they do. I say turn him loose. I'll take a few L's to groom a QB, I have a hard time with a D1 head coach that can't name one. Sending the kid in one play at a time and not knowing when is just a recipe for disaster and he has handled it well.
Jimmy, you are obviously the one that does not see the big picture....

C

Chief00

Guys can either make plays are they can't. McCummings, in limited action has shown that potential. McEntee is much more extensive action has validated his inability to make plays. So who do you give playing time to? To me it's a no brainer - McCummings.

Reaction Score
Eh, I'm a Nebrich guy myself.

My only issues with the OP is that its not a good sample size and the long completions were (or at least 2 of them) were on trick plays. Also, the timing sucks posting this off a win.

Reaction Score
The kid is 3 for 6 and two of those are for TD's! Were you at or watching last weeks game? The Bulls dropped no less than four picks!
I do not mean to disrespect J Mac ...but absolutely no lateral movement. All seven sacks are not on the O line. A mobile QB could have made something out of a few of those plays.
He and the one behind him was recruited to do what they do. I say turn him loose. I'll take a few L's to groom a QB, I have a hard time with a D1 head coach that can't name one. Sending the kid in one play at a time and not knowing when is just a recipe for disaster and he has handled it well.
Who leads the NCAA in almost picks this year? Wait, there is no such stat because it's irrelevant. It's only an incompletion.

Reaction Score

It's amazing that we didn't hire Woof101 instead of Coach P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom