Tim Boyle | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read on CT Post blog that our new OC met with him for 3 hours. Making a late push for the local product who verbally commited to BC. I wonder if Boyle is having second thought after BC named Addazio their HC. Addazio loves to run the ball and likes a mobile QB. Maybe we have a chance to lure him away, if the post was true.

Reaction Score
Would be surprised given we already have Lagow and seem to be making a push for Kempf, but as others have stated, until we have a legitimate starter at QB who can really play at a high BCS level, I don't see any reason to stop looking for new answers.

Reaction Score
That would be shockingly good news. Really love his stuff but not getting excited on just one post.

Reaction Score
Kris, do you have a link? I looked on the Post's website and couldn't find anything.

Reaction Score
Kid has good tools, but I personally think Lagow and Kempt are much better and much more polished as HS seniors.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This stuff can drive ya crazy - he's listed as a 2* dual threat QB - but has 15 offers (5 BCS). I guess a 6-5 QB opens eyes.

I had the exact same thought! It makes me wonder why the evaluation doesn't jibe with what the coaches are thinking. Or is it a "copycat" league, where if a respected coach goes after someone, the rest follow like flies? Who knows...

Reaction Score
I had the exact same thought! It makes me wonder why the evaluation doesn't jibe with what the coaches are thinking. Or is it a "copycat" league, where if a respected coach goes after someone, the rest follow like flies? Who knows...
I sometimes find the recruiting site/rankings maddening. For example when I saw Ogundeko's highlights I instantly knew he was WAY underrated based on a couple of minutes of highlights. Same thing Jordan Canzeri a few years back. I didn't always agree with Edsall, but the one thing he said that I was 100%, in agreement with was that if the guys at Rivals, Scout, etc., were any good at evaluating HS players, they'd be college coaches.

I'm not saying I or anyone else on the board would be better than the recruiting site gurus, but I'd bet we wouldn't be much worse if that is all we did for a living.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I sometimes find the recruiting site/rankings maddening. For example when I saw Ogundeko's highlights I instantly knew he was WAY underrated based on a couple of minutes of highlights. Same thing Jordan Canzeri a few years back. I didn't always agree with Edsall, but the one thing he said that I was 100%, in agreement with was that if the guys at Rivals, Scout, etc., were any good at evaluating HS players, they'd be college coaches.

I'm not saying I or anyone else on the board would be better than the recruiting site gurus, but I'd bet we wouldn't be much worse if that is all we did for a living.

I guess Randy certainly earned the right to say that comment, seeing as how many 2-star gems he was able to find in the Northeast. Speaking of regions, I also hate that a near-identical player in one region will invariably get a lower star count than his counterpart in a more famous region. We all know which regions I'm talking about...

Reaction Score

ESPN did an article last year or so looking to see if high star ratings would predict NFL draft status. They found that though the correlation wasn't perfect, higher star rated players were, in fact, more likely to end up drafted (and at a higher spot) than lower rated players. Now whether the recruiting sites fudge the stars based on the actual recruiting or vice versa is obviously up to debate.

I'm having trouble tracking down the article, but when I find it I'll let you know.

Reaction Score

Highlights don't always paint a good picture for high school sports, there are a lot of inferior athletes playing high school football. Scouting analysts are over rated. I think if a kid has good measurable's and has good character, that's where you start. If the kid has a solid work ethic and is coachable, you can take any athlete and mold them into good fundamental players. There's a huge learning curve moving from high school to college, sometimes it takes a couple of years for the light to go on in these kids heads.

Reaction Score
Would be surprised given we already have Lagow and seem to be making a push for Kempf, but as others have stated, until we have a legitimate starter at QB who can really play at a high BCS level, I don't see any reason to stop looking for new answers.

The staff clearly is looking for a second QB in this class. So long as they don't push our current recruit out without being convinced they have a better one coming in, I have no issues with that.

Reaction Score
The staff clearly is looking for a second QB in this class. So long as they don't push our current recruit out without being convinced they have a better one coming in, I have no issues with that.

Lagow already tweeted that he would reconsider if another QB was signed. I'm not so sure I'd want to risk that, if only because Lagow seems to be off the scale in leadership skills.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Lagow already tweeted that he would reconsider if another QB was signed. I'm not so sure I'd want to risk that, if only because Lagow seems to be off the scale in leadership skills.
I don't wanna lose Lagow because the kid sounds like a great kid and someone this team could really use. However, adding a second QB to his class is not much different than what he's coming into. We have Whitmer for two more years, McCummings for two more years, Cochran for 4 more (didn't he redshirt?), and then Lagow. He's coming into a stacked, maybe not the most talented stacked, position. The kids gotta learn that he's gonna have to fight to start at some point here and if that is against another person in his class than so be it. I really don't wanna lose Lagow but the kids gotta realize that competition is everywhere. His tweets today are kind of odd though.....

1. Richard Lagow™✅@RichardLagow
    hopefully today is a good day

from Plano, TX
  2. More
  3. 10h
    Richard Lagow™✅@RichardLagow
    tomorrow could be filled with anticipation.

Reaction Score
All I know is Boyle played against the best competition CT had to offer (with a solid surrounding cast) and excelled. Reminded me of Dan O but maybe more athletic. Of course never saw the other guys play and love the way Lagow has represented himself and UConn. Wouldn't want to jeopardize that but you have to keep an open mind. It's interesting but doubt anything will come of it.

More answers on Feb 6 two weeks away.

Reaction Score
ESPN did an article last year or so looking to see if high star ratings would predict NFL draft status. They found that though the correlation wasn't perfect, higher star rated players were, in fact, more likely to end up drafted (and at a higher spot) than lower rated players. Now whether the recruiting sites fudge the stars based on the actual recruiting or vice versa is obviously up to debate.

I'm having trouble tracking down the article, but when I find it I'll let you know.

Here is a current article... http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/recruiting-rankings-nfl-draft/

Essentially for 2008-2012:

Summary by star rating (159 picks)
  • 26 2-stars (16.4 percent)
  • 40 3-stars (25.3 percent)
  • 63 4-stars (39.6 percent)
  • 27 5-stars (17 percent)
  • Three players were unranked (1.9 percent)
  • Forty-three percent of the players selected were underrated as either a zero, two or three-star player.

Reaction Score
Here is a current article... http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/recruiting-rankings-nfl-draft/

Essentially for 2008-2012:

Summary by star rating (159 picks)
  • 26 2-stars (16.4 percent)
  • 40 3-stars (25.3 percent)
  • 63 4-stars (39.6 percent)
  • 27 5-stars (17 percent)
  • Three players were unranked (1.9 percent)
  • Forty-three percent of the players selected were underrated as either a zero, two or three-star player.

One thing to consider is that there are far fewer 5-star prospects than 3-star prospects. It would be interesting to see the percentage chance that any given star-ranked athlete had of making the NFL.

Reaction Score
The percentages should reflect the percent of 5 stars drafted versus how many were rated a 5 star in that time period. 17 percent is misleading. It's saying that out of the players drafted only 17 percent were 5 stars. But scouting services don't hand out that many 5 stars per year. For the upcoming 2013 recruiting class there is only 11 5 star kids. If you take 5 years you may only have somewhere around 50-60 5 star guys. So 27 of those 50-60 got drafted.....Thats pretty good. I'm sure many of the other guys who didn't get drafted were guys lost to attrition/injuries or grades rather than the fact that they were overrated.

Reaction Score
Damn beat me to it.......well done..

One thing to consider is that there are far fewer 5-star prospects than 3-star prospects. It would be interesting to see the percentage chance that any given star-ranked athlete had of making the NFL.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Who knows what is up. It could be that Lagow told the coaches he is still looking around and maybe that is why they are talking to Boyle.

Reaction Score

I saw a stat on the mainboard yesterday on rivals that said that about half of all 5 stars end up being drafted in the first 3 or 4 rounds of the draft or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom