Tim Boyle is... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would say that he was average for a true freshman thrown into the deep end, and below average overall. There is potential there however.

Are you serious??? Which game did you watch? I would love to know. I could have been whitmer's biggest fan I believed as much as anyone that we needed to see him behind a better line to give him a good evaluation, but seriously.... Boyle played so much better than an average true freshman, seriously how many true freshman in college football do you see play??? I am sure you need someone to pin the loss on and the freshman qb would be the best option but seriously can you watch a game and gain some perspective before you feel the need to bad mouth our qb in his first game?

Reaction Score
If Whitmer played today we'd be 1-4

Reaction Score
Not ready. Give him his redshirt back. He is wild with most of his throws. Lacks touch.
Wild, no. Inaccurate, yes. Ten drops, yes. First game, give him a break.

Reaction Score

If Boyle played all 5 games what is our record probably 1-4

Reaction Score
I think he is somewhere in between what most people here think. Was he horrible today? No. Was he great today? No. He had a fair game with a tendency to throw the ball high and hard. He had some balls dropped. Some of the drops would have been tough catches. I think with some experience he will develop more touch and be a solid QB. The thing that scares me is the OLine play. South Florida's Dline was depleted with injuries today and there was still a fair amount pressure on the QB. I think the depleted USF Dline helped our run game early. But USF made some adjustments and our run game returned to it's old anemic self in the second half.

Reaction Score
Tim Boyle reminds me of Jared Lorenzen..big arm, can run well with the ball, not accurate with throws. As for drops..any throw where the intended reciever was straight out trying to make a catch isn't a drop to me.

Wait what?

Agreed, Boat. Jared Lorenzen couldn't throw the ball 10 yards . He was a terrific runner and I miss that. But he had college football's worst throwing motion (not in a pub, throwing darts). No comparison -already- to TL as a thrower. Just better. If TL could throw like Boyle - with his running - ability, he'd be the QB that everyone else is compared to.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Boat. Jared Lorenzen couldn't throw the ball 10 yards . He was a terrific runner and I miss that. But he had college football's worst throwing motion (not in a pub, throwing darts). No comparison -already- to TL as a thrower. Just better. If TL could throw like Boyle - with his running - ability, he'd be the QB that everyone else is compared to.
I thought Tyler Lorenzen had a better arm than that...But I was truely thinking of Jared Lorenzen when he first started as a freshman at Kentucky..the guy they called the hefty lefty by his sr yr. I don't see Boyle with the hefty tag...just with similiar passing numbers that Jared had at Kentucky when he finished his career.

Reaction Score
Tim Boyle reminds me of Jared Lorenzen..big arm, can run well with the ball, not accurate with throws. As for drops..any throw where the intended reciever was straight out trying to make a catch isn't a drop to me.

I am assuming you are kidding correct? Tyler lorenzen had worse mechanics than Tim tebow. If you could not spot that Tim Boyle had better mechanics than that from the Goodyear blimp down in Charlotte this weekend I have to ask are you sure you know which team you were rooting for today? It was the blue team btw

Reaction Score
I am assuming you are kidding correct? Tyler lorenzen had worse mechanics than Tim tebow. If you could not spot that Tim Boyle had better mechanics than that from the Goodyear blimp down in Charlotte this weekend I have to ask are you sure you know which team you were rooting for today? It was the blue team btw
I know which team I root for...I travel an hour and a half and over 100 miles each way every home game..have been since 2003...been to every bowl game...throw in ND and Michigan too. I assume you know how to read...I wrote Jared NOT Tyler! Jared played at Kentucky and rewrote the record books there..only difference between Jared Lorenzen and Boyle will be Timmy won't look like a DE by his Sr yr!

Reaction Score
If we had a deeper WR corp, even with GDL, we probably are 3-2 at worst.

Think about it. Whitmer had 2 legit WR's, and when Phillips went down, had 1.

A true frosh had 1 legit WR and actually pulled it off. It's just the WR's didn't.

Tell me a team that wins most of their games with no running game and 1 or 2 WR's. Don't most have 3-4 good targets?

To be honest I feel Whitmer never got a fair chance. A bad OL coach and minimal WR's and no running game. Don't expect a true frosh QB to do much better with just 1 WR and a running game.

Reaction Score
If we had a deeper WR corp, even with GDL, we probably are 3-2 at worst.

Think about it. Whitmer had 2 legit WR's, and when Phillips went down, had 1.

A true frosh had 1 legit WR and actually pulled it off. It's just the WR's didn't.

Tell me a team that wins most of their games with no running game and 1 or 2 WR's. Don't most have 3-4 good targets?

To be honest I feel Whitmer never got a fair chance. A bad OL coach and minimal WR's and no running game. Don't expect a true frosh QB to do much better with just 1 WR and a running game.

If Bennett gives up many more runs at the QB like he did today for the sack/fumble/TD return - Whitmer might get his chance.

Reaction Score
If Bennett gives up many more runs at the QB like he did today for the sack/fumble/TD return - Whitmer might get his chance.

JB, is an enigma. Some plays he looks like a pro. Other plays he looks like a matador. Sometimes on the same drive. I wonder if the injuries just mounted to the point where just could never reach his potential. I still think he is our best lineman by far, which explains our struggles.

Reaction Score
Whitmer probably would have found a way to get sacked on the final hail mary.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So you're judging a true frosh by the desperation of a final posession?

This was a game we should have won easily. A few horrid calls early and shaky protection, compounded by the worst receiving performance I have ever seen by any UConn team. This loss is all on them.

As for Boyle about what I would expect. A better arm and way better wheels than Whitmer. Timing a click off and reads nowhere near perfect. When his experience catches up with his talent he could be the best we've seen here. But the line has to block and recievers need to catch the ball.

He is not worth it. He and a few others never have anything good or productive to say and why I tend to ignore them

Reaction Score
Tim Boyle in game 1 as a true freshman is better than Whitmer as a RS junior.

C

Chief00

Tyler had no arm. Boyle could play on Sunday if he develops as expected. It's amazing the same clowns that defended GDL and P until nearly the bitter end are now so far off in their football insights.

Reaction Score
Will be best QB since Dan O. Great arm, lightening fast release and actually goes through a progession. For those complaining, you are out of your minds. This was his first game, and his receivers dropped a lot of balls.

How can you objectively say that after 1 game? Best QB since Dan O, after 1 game?!?!?! Receivers drop passes on every team. I am searching for the posts about how Whitmer would be awesome if not for the numerous wr drops. I thought Whitmer was a very poor qb, but please, can we view Boyle's first game objectively, please? It was not good. It was against one of the bottom 3 D's in the country missing several defensive starters.

With that said, there were some thing Tim did that are extremely encouraging.

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with a lot of what Boyle did. He over threw a lot of balls, but I think you expect that with a true frosh in his first game. He clearly has an arm and I thought he showed great poise and made good decisions. Parker pulls that ball in and it's a much different game.

That all said, I think Whitmer might have given us a better chance at the W. The OL was infinitely better yesterday than anything he has had the benefit to play behind. Just a little more experience might have put us over the top. Mind you, I'm not being critical, because if this coaching staff believes our future is brighter both this season and beyond with Boyle, then it makes sense to get him on the field sooner rather than later.

btw, while not a classic dual threat, Boyle has fine wheels and makes very good decisions when to run the ball.

Reaction Score
My take is that Boyle is not ready to play at this level yet. Looks like he has some tools but yesterday was Exxhibit A as to why 99% of quarterbacks red shirt. For what its worth, some of the problem also rests with Weist. Freshman quarterback, running game is working and he A)decides that he'll rely on the freshman to move the football; B)go away from McCombs, who has been ripping off good runs, and use the backups then go away from him entirely in he 4th quarter. and the clock mismanagement isn't just a Pasqualoni issue. My view, both Weist and Boyle need more seasoning before they are ready for this level of football.

Reaction Score
Boyle showed all the qualities that will make him one of the best qb's we've had here. Doesn't remind me of either Lorenzen at all. Jared was an overweight whale at Kentucky and Tyler (who I always liked) was not a pure passer at all.
Boyle showed great poise in the pocket, a quick release, strong arm, and some running ability. We haven't had a guy who could throw like him since Orlovsky left.

And BTW , USF is an improved team from where they were earlier in the season. They weren't as bad as some people think

Reaction Score
Boyle showed great poise throughout much of the game. He didn't panic under the rush like Whitmer often does. Kid has an arm and a future. I think he sealed the deal for him starting rest of the season. He needs more options to throw to. Having Philips back will make a huge difference. Of course, he missed reads and overthrew targets. His arm strength vastly exceeds Whitmer.

Great future for UConn and definitely a piece of the puzzle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom