Tim Boyle Green Bay Packers visit | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle Green Bay Packers visit

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If he kicks ass at Rookie Camp and then this summer? God Bless. This is what it is all about.

Reaction Score
Lagow ended up as a 2-3 year starter in the BiG, Nebrich set about every record at Fordam, Cochran was arguably Uconn’s most productive QB in the last 10 years and could never get on the field with P, and now Boyle is on an NFL practice squad. All were on the UCONN roster during P’s tenure and he couldn’t keep or develop any of them.

Thanks for letting put some responsibility on the coaching staff. Much appreciated.
Always felt Nebrich had great potential when Moorehead first recruited him. Broke every high school passing mark in VA before coming to Storrs. It's no coincidence that Moorehead and Nebrich said goodbye to Storrs after one season of Johnny McEntee as UCONN's starting QB. Nebrich blowing out his knee at Fordham was the only thing that kept him from an NFL career IMO.

Reaction Score
Excellent article on Boyle and Packers. They are really high on Tim. They compare him with Rogers!

General manager Brian Gutekunst signed Boyle not because of his statistics but because the rookie can drive the ball down the field and into tight spots with great accuracy. He signed him because the Packers haven't had a first-year quarterback with these kind of mechanics and athletic ability since selecting Rodgers with the 24th pick in the 2005 draft.

“He throws a tight ball, it's a spiral, the ball comes out quickly,” said former NFL quarterback Todd Collins, who at the request of Boyle’s agent, Dan Smith, worked with the rookie this offseason. “There's not a lot of wasted motion in his delivery.

Collins, a second-round pick in 1995, played 16 years in the NFL, including an eight-year stint with the Kansas City Chiefs, where Mike McCarthy was his quarterbacks coach for one season. The following year, Packers quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti was an offensive assistant on the Chiefs staff.

Since drafting Rodgers, the young quarterbacks the Packers have attempted to develop have been better in the classroom than on the football field. The club has invested time and effort into quarterbacks who are too short or too slow or too weak-armed to have much of a chance in the NFL.

Going back to Graham Harrell and Matt Flynn, the Packers have done more with less and the results have been poor. Long shots such as Scott Tolzien, Matt Blanchard, B.J. Coleman and Joe Callahan lacked key athletic ingredients and fizzle out.

McCarthy and Gutekunst covet athletes now.

They drafted Brett Hundley, a Rodgers-type athlete, in the fifth round in 2015, signed undrafted all-around athlete Taysom Hill last year and traded for strong-armed and mobile DeShone Kizer during the offseason. Boyle represents a do-over with Hill, who was released on the final cutdown and lost on waivers to the New Orleans Saints.

Boyle’s athletic ability, at least when it comes to testing, is comparable with Rodgers. At 6-3½, 232 pounds, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds, registered a vertical jump of 35½ inches, a broad jump of 9 feet, 9 inches, a three-cone time of 7.03 seconds and short shuttle of 4.49 seconds.

By comparison, Rodgers ran the 40 in 4.77, had a vertical of 34 ½ inches, a broad jump of 9 feet, 2 inches, a three-cone of 7.38 seconds and a short shuttle of 4.32.

Just to show he was built to last, Boyle performed the bench press, which most quarterbacks don’t do. He lifted 225 pounds 16 times. Still, it is Rodgers’ flexibility and pocket awareness, not his bench press, that has made him the best player outside the pocket in the NFL. Boyle has been mostly a pocket passer and must learn to use his athletic ability to buy time to survive in McCarthy’s offense.

Pro scout Chad Brinker came back from visiting Eastern Kentucky and made a case for signing Boyle despite his lackluster stats and unsettled time at UConn. In researching the 23-year-old Boyle, the Packers found out he was offered scholarships to Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, Oregon and Boston College coming out of Xavier High School in Middletown, Conn.

The Packers thought enough of Boyle that they released Callahan. McCarthy has been patient with young quarterbacks and if Boyle makes it into training camp, he will play in exhibition games. Hundley and Kizer will fight it out for the backup job, while Boyle hopes he forces the Packers to wrestle over his status the way they did with Hill.

“I think the potential is there; he has the physical tools,” Collins said. “I believe he can mentally study and be able to handle all the offenses. He doesn't have any mechanical flaws that I think are going to consistently make him misfire or give him accuracy problems.

“It's just going to be a matter of ‘Can you make the plays under pressure with live competition against NFL-quality talent?’”

Young QB Tim Boyle gives Packers a do-over for Taysom Hill

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Excellent article on Boyle and Packers. They are really high on Tim. They compare him with Rogers!

General manager Brian Gutekunst signed Boyle not because of his statistics but because the rookie can drive the ball down the field and into tight spots with great accuracy. He signed him because the Packers haven't had a first-year quarterback with these kind of mechanics and athletic ability since selecting Rodgers with the 24th pick in the 2005 draft.

“He throws a tight ball, it's a spiral, the ball comes out quickly,” said former NFL quarterback Todd Collins, who at the request of Boyle’s agent, Dan Smith, worked with the rookie this offseason. “There's not a lot of wasted motion in his delivery.

Collins, a second-round pick in 1995, played 16 years in the NFL, including an eight-year stint with the Kansas City Chiefs, where Mike McCarthy was his quarterbacks coach for one season. The following year, Packers quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti was an offensive assistant on the Chiefs staff.

Since drafting Rodgers, the young quarterbacks the Packers have attempted to develop have been better in the classroom than on the football field. The club has invested time and effort into quarterbacks who are too short or too slow or too weak-armed to have much of a chance in the NFL.

Going back to Graham Harrell and Matt Flynn, the Packers have done more with less and the results have been poor. Long shots such as Scott Tolzien, Matt Blanchard, B.J. Coleman and Joe Callahan lacked key athletic ingredients and fizzle out.

McCarthy and Gutekunst covet athletes now.

They drafted Brett Hundley, a Rodgers-type athlete, in the fifth round in 2015, signed undrafted all-around athlete Taysom Hill last year and traded for strong-armed and mobile DeShone Kizer during the offseason. Boyle represents a do-over with Hill, who was released on the final cutdown and lost on waivers to the New Orleans Saints.

Boyle’s athletic ability, at least when it comes to testing, is comparable with Rodgers. At 6-3½, 232 pounds, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds, registered a vertical jump of 35½ inches, a broad jump of 9 feet, 9 inches, a three-cone time of 7.03 seconds and short shuttle of 4.49 seconds.

By comparison, Rodgers ran the 40 in 4.77, had a vertical of 34 ½ inches, a broad jump of 9 feet, 2 inches, a three-cone of 7.38 seconds and a short shuttle of 4.32.

Just to show he was built to last, Boyle performed the bench press, which most quarterbacks don’t do. He lifted 225 pounds 16 times. Still, it is Rodgers’ flexibility and pocket awareness, not his bench press, that has made him the best player outside the pocket in the NFL. Boyle has been mostly a pocket passer and must learn to use his athletic ability to buy time to survive in McCarthy’s offense.

Pro scout Chad Brinker came back from visiting Eastern Kentucky and made a case for signing Boyle despite his lackluster stats and unsettled time at UConn. In researching the 23-year-old Boyle, the Packers found out he was offered scholarships to Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, Oregon and Boston College coming out of Xavier High School in Middletown, Conn.

The Packers thought enough of Boyle that they released Callahan. McCarthy has been patient with young quarterbacks and if Boyle makes it into training camp, he will play in exhibition games. Hundley and Kizer will fight it out for the backup job, while Boyle hopes he forces the Packers to wrestle over his status the way they did with Hill.

“I think the potential is there; he has the physical tools,” Collins said. “I believe he can mentally study and be able to handle all the offenses. He doesn't have any mechanical flaws that I think are going to consistently make him misfire or give him accuracy problems.

“It's just going to be a matter of ‘Can you make the plays under pressure with live competition against NFL-quality talent?’”

Young QB Tim Boyle gives Packers a do-over for Taysom Hill

I'm sorry but that article was laugh out loud funny

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but that article was laugh out loud funny

I’m sorry, but you’re being a . A local kid tries to live out his dream while you sit at home and take shots from a keyboard. Don’t be that guy.

Reaction Score
Rooting for him. But the only similarity with Aaron Rodgers is that they both play quarterback.

Take a look at his measurable drill times again. Professional analysts see organic skill sets in Boyle that lead them to drafting him and letting Callahan go. He turned out to be one of the most athletic and strong QB's in the entire draft. His drill times were better than Rogers and he can make all the throws. I am convinced that he was misused at UCONN. Boyle may turn out to be a diamond in the rough. I can't think of a better mentor than Rogers who sat behind Brett Farve for three years before getting his shot. This is exciting news!

Reaction Score
There is a point where everyone needs to accept that we witnessed our football coaches ruin several players rather than develop them. Those days should be over with Randy back. No need to have any opinion on most of these kids because they were not put in a position to succeed.

Of course, Tim most likely isn’t the next Aaron Rodgers, but the fact we ran him off and a couple years later the Packers sign him and his measurables are off the charts is disappointing as hell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is a point where everyone needs to accept that we witnessed our football coaches ruin several players rather than develop them. Those days should be over with Randy back. No need to have any opinion on most of these kids because they were not put in a position to succeed.

Of course, Tim most likely isn’t the next Aaron Rodgers, but the fact we ran him off and a couple years later the Packers sign him and his measurables are off the charts is disappointing as hell.

Who cares about the measurables. He threw more INTs than TDs on a bad FCS team.

Maybe Green Bay can turn him into something but they weren’t so excited to even use a 7th round pick - so lets not go crazy.

Reaction Score
Take a look at his measurable drill times again. Professional analysts see organic skill sets in Boyle that lead them to drafting him and letting Callahan go. He turned out to be one of the most athletic and strong QB's in the entire draft. His drill times were better than Rogers and he can make all the throws. I am convinced that he was misused at UCONN. Boyle may turn out to be a diamond in the rough. I can't think of a better mentor than Rogers who sat behind Brett Farve for three years before getting his shot. This is exciting news!

He wasn’t drafted. He had some nice drill times. Look, I am rooting for him. Hometown kid, and Packers are my favorite team. But as a Packers fan, I wish they signed someone with production on the field. He struggled mightily at UCONN and even if you give him a pass for coaching changes, he was not good at an FCS school as well.

I sort of get what Packers are doing here. Rodgers is the number one qb and franchise player. And the battle for number two has been set (Kizer v. Hundley). The coaches are hoping they can coach up Boyle’s deficient areas because he has good physical traits. And if he shows results on the field during practice, they might decide to put him on practice squad. I just haven’t seen anything that shows he will be productive.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t drafted. He had some nice drill times. Look, I am rooting for him. Hometown kid, and Packers are my favorite team. But as a Packers fan, I wish they signed someone with production on the field. He struggled mightily at UCONN and even if you give him a pass for coaching changes, he was not good at an FCS school as well.

I sort of get what Packers are doing here. Rodgers is the number one qb and franchise player. And the battle for number two has been set (Kizer v. Hundley). The coaches are hoping they can coach up Boyle’s deficient areas because he has good physical traits. And if he shows results on the field during practice, they might decide to put him on practice squad. I just haven’t seen anything that shows he will be productive.

I totally agree. There is absolutely no reason nor historical precedent to expect that Tim Boyle will be successful in the NFL. That is precisely why these developments are so intriguing. His physical test scores make it all the more crazy!

One of my teammates at CCSU, Tony Giaquinto, (Nick's brother two time Super Bowl winner and former Sacred Heart U baseball coach) was drafted in the 7th round by the Packers. Bart Star personally came out to the Yale Bowl to watch him. Tony was an exceptional athlete, 6'3"200lbs. He ran a 9.6 100. Talent ran in the family. Tony told me how grueling NFL competition is. To make it you really have to want it. There is tremendous sacrifice. If Tim has the fortitude to do what's necessary, with great coaching he could have a nice career. It would be interesting to get Dan Orlovsky's slant on all this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Maybe Green Bay can turn him into something but they weren’t so excited to even use a 7th round pick - so lets not go crazy.

I said it is disappointing that the Packers see more there than our coaches did. We should have had 5 years to turn him into a serviceable QB. Instead, any potential was completely squandered. There is no guaranty that he would have been a great QB for us but if he has tools that excite the Packers, we should have had him here longer. It’s just a shame that a homegrown kid was done like that. Between that, Lagow leaving, Nebrich leaving, Cochrane injured, and on and on and on, the disappointment, bad luck and bad coaching is almost incomprehensible.

Reaction Score
I said it is disappointing that the Packers see more there than our coaches did. We should have had 5 years to turn him into a serviceable QB. Instead, any potential was completely squandered. There is no guaranty that he would have been a great QB for us but if he has tools that excite the Packers, we should have had him here longer. It’s just a shame that a homegrown kid was done like that. Between that, Lagow leaving, Nebrich leaving, Cochrane injured, and on and on and on, the disappointment, bad luck and bad coaching is almost incomprehensible.

Not really sure what else could be done with Boyle here. He was extremely inaccurate and made poor decisions. I think it was a wise move he moved on so he could get some playing time. It appears he had the same problems at Eastern Kentucky as he did at UCONN. Low completion percentage, more ints then tds. That’s why I was shocked he got a look.

I hope it’s a story of the ages and he becomes Kurt Warner 2.0. But I don’t think I have heard of a player that had zero success on the field in college even making an nfl team. If anyone does it I hope its a CT guy because any positive press about CT players brings attention to CT football.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Stop it youre ruining it for Tim and his family. Really youre ruining it for Aaron Rogers, too. Guy is about to get benched for a rookie, doesnt need commentary from the boneyard

Reaction Score

He was always projected as a pro style QB. To be really effective the O line, receivers and run game all need to come together. That didn't happen at UCONN and that's why Sherriffs, Whitmer and Cochran got the crap beat out of them. Not playing much at UCONN may have extended Boyle's career! Pro style Boyle may thrive in an the NFL while a stellar college dual threat QB's like Taysom Hill or Quintin Flowers may struggle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom