Tim Boyle Green Bay Packers visit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle Green Bay Packers visit

Reaction Score
UConn had QB talent when P was coaching. Lagow, Nebrich, Cochran and Boyle could all play. P couldn’t manage the development of any of them and he had that idiot Deleone in charge of the OL. I remember watching the start of the Towson State game and we had to have a kid step in at right tackle for Friend who was hurt. It was like playing offense without a RT. Kid was not even remotely ready. Is it any wonder none of these QBs developed under P’s regime.

In my opinion, the damage P did to the program cannot be under estimated. If anything, Diaco just continued the trend.

Lagow left in 2 weeks.

Cochran had to hang it up due to concussions.

Nebrich left after one year.

Despite what Boyle may do going forward, he was what he was when he was here. The board’s favorite passtime is to blame coaching so if you want to go with that knock your socks off.

Reaction Score
Lagow left in 2 weeks.

Cochran had to hang it up due to concussions.

Nebrich left after one year.

Despite what Boyle may do going forward, he was what he was when he was here. The board’s favorite passtime is to blame coaching so if you want to go with that knock your socks off.

Lagow ended up as a 2-3 year starter in the BiG, Nebrich set about every record at Fordam, Cochran was arguably Uconn’s most productive QB in the last 10 years and could never get on the field with P, and now Boyle is on an NFL practice squad. All were on the UCONN roster during P’s tenure and he couldn’t keep or develop any of them.

Thanks for letting put some responsibility on the coaching staff. Much appreciated.

Reaction Score
Lagow ended up as a 2-3 year starter in the BiG, Nebrich set about every record at Fordam, Cochran was arguably Uconn’s most productive QB in the last 10 years and could never get on the field with P, and now Boyle is on an NFL practice squad. All were on the UCONN roster during P’s tenure and he couldn’t keep or develop any of them.

Thanks for letting put some responsibility on the coaching staff. Much appreciated.

You’re welcome.

C

Chief00

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me for the ten thousandth time, shame on me. Haven't we heard this tune before?

I wish the young man nothing but success, but the sum of the parts is just not equal to the whole here. Plus, if he actually gets an NFL payday on any level (and again, good for him if he does) I can't deal with the idiots here thinking that what he accomplishes in 2018 or beyond has any relevance whatsoever to what he could have done in 2013-15.

I don’t agree. Put me down in the column that Tim was mishandled. Both Coach P and TJ saw the talent. Say what you want about Coach P, he knew pro potential type talent when he saw it. He was thrown into the fire as a freshman at the same time as a coaching change. Casey was more mature and ready at the time. Then Diaco came and his objective was for the offense to use up time rather than score. The Packers are pretty good at evaluating talent - they see what I saw back then - just a more polished version.

Reaction Score
Boyle needed time to learn the finer points of being a college QB, he would have benefited greatly from a prep school year and an early redshirt year, but he also was thrown into a well of incompetence at UCONN. It would have been a far different experience with leadership like Edsall and Joe Moorhead.

Good luck to Tim, I hope he shocks everyone and has a great NFL career. He has the physical talent to do it.

Reaction Score
He had terrible coaching and an O-line that boardered on the criminal. Of course he looked bad here. You don't go from Uconn has been to NFL QB without someone missing the boat.

Congratulations Tim!!

Some of you are acting like he's suddenly an established NFL player. One team saw him workout, saw some of the physical tools that made him a highly rated recruit, and took a flyer on him that maybe they can develop him. Thats it. Good luck to him, but maybe have him actually make a roster before we use this as proof that he's a great player that UConn screwed up

Reaction Score
Rooting hard for Boyle because he is a local kid. But right now he is the fifth best qb on the Packers.

If he is given time during the preseason, he should look at it as an audition for every team because even if he doesn’t make the Packers he can latch on to another teams practice squad.

Always good to have CT kids have success in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Some of you are acting like he's suddenly an established NFL player. One team saw him workout, saw some of the physical tools that made him a highly rated recruit, and took a flyer on him that maybe they can develop him. Thats it. Good luck to him, but maybe have him actually make a roster before we use this as proof that he's a great player that UConn screwed up

Count the number of QB positions in the League. Now realize of all they guys who played the position over the past 15 years in college and pros...one of those spots belongs to Tim Boyle. If he gets cut next week, he will always be able to say he was an NFL QB. If you don't think that is special, I don't know what to tell you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Count the number of QB positions in the League. Now realize of all they guys who played the position over the past 15 years in college and pros...one of those spots belongs to Tim Boyle. If he gets cut next week, he will always be able to say he was an NFL QB. If you don't think that is special, I don't know what to tell you.

Good for him impressing enough to get a spot in camp. Shame he wasted a couple of years on the nonsense in Storrs during that era. That first quarter turned out to be the highlight.

I think the only issue anyone ever had with Xavier was their coach who steered kids away from UConn. Have they even had any FBS signees the last few years? It looks like this year they had a kid go to Fordham and a kid go to Stonehill.

Reaction Score
Good for him impressing enough to get a spot in camp. Shame he wasted a couple of years on the nonsense in Storrs during that era. That first quarter turned out to be the highlight.

I think the only issue anyone ever had with Xavier was their coach who steered kids away from UConn. Have they even had any FBS signees the last few years? It looks like this year they had a kid go to Fordham and a kid go to Stonehill.

Their QB signed with Penn St.

Reaction Score

None of that has anything to do with the idea that someone "missed the boat on him."

Reaction Score
For an UFA, Tim Boyle is getting a lot of attention in Green Bay.

BOYLE: ‘I CAN'T WAIT TO JOIN ROGERS, PACKERS,OTHER QBs
Quarterback Tim Boyle took advantage of a fresh start and a strong pro day to land a spot with the Packers.
Bill Huber - 3 hours ago

Tim Boyle was hoping to be drafted, but his Saturday had a happy ending when the Eastern Kentucky quarterback agreed to a contract with the Green Bay Packers.
“I’m still with the team I wanted to go with, still signed a contract,” Boyle told Packer Report on Monday. “So, not disappointed. Just looking at this as I got a great opportunity from a great team.”

That opportunity got even better about a half-hour after the interview. That’s when the Packers released last year’s No. 3 quarterback, Joe Callahan. That makes it a four-man quarterback derby heading into the start of offseason practices, with Boyle joining Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley and recently acquired DeShone Kizer.

“Unbelievable. It’s a blessing, honestly,” Boyle said. “You always hear people talking about, ‘You surround yourself with people who make you better.’ Just the fact that I get to be around that group of quarterbacks, it’s going to be such a blessing for me as a player. Just to be around that knowledge and experience is going to help me as a player. I can’t wait to get in the room with them.”

Boyle is a native of Middlefield, Conn., and stayed home to play for Connecticut. He started four games as a freshman, three games as a sophomore and the final game of his junior season. Nothing went right. He completed just 48.4 percent of his passes with one touchdown and 13 interceptions.

Turmoil in the program stunted his development.

“The three years I was at UConn, I had three different head coaches, three different offensive coordinators, three different quarterback coaches,” Boyle said. “I wasn’t winning a whole lot of games. I wanted a clean slate, go somewhere where I could start fresh, get my confidence back a little bit.”

That clean slate was found at Eastern Kentucky, an FCS school.

He had to sit out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. The step back helped Boyle take a step forward. He hit the weight room and gained 10 pounds of quality weight. He joined the coaching staff for game-planning meetings. He gained a deeper insight into offensive concepts and how to attack defenses.

The results didn’t necessarily show on the field. He completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 2,134 yards with 11 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. The Colonels went 4-7. Nonetheless, he’s happy with how he grew during his two years in Richmond, Ky.

“I think it went well,” he said. “Our record didn’t symbolize how good of a team we were, nor my numbers. You put the tape on, I know where I’m going with the ball. The majority of my interceptions, I’m throwing a screen pass and it gets tipped and it lands in the guy’s arms. Or I get hit as I throw and it pops in the air and somebody catches it. There are only a certain amount of instances where interceptions were bonehead moves on my part from a decision-making standpoint.”

After the tepid numbers, a strong pro day helped him get on NFL radars. His 40-yard time of 4.75 seconds would have been third-best among the quarterbacks at the Scouting Combine and his 35.5-inch vertical jump would have been the best. Boyle took a predraft visit to Green Bay. He left hoping he’d return.

“The pro day was huge,” he said. “The biggest thing for me was to show teams that I’m athletic -- I’m a big body but I’m also athletic -- and that I can sling the ball around. I think I achieved both of those. I put up good numbers and I threw the ball pretty well, so I accomplished those things. Obviously, it was a huge day for me, just because I couldn’t go to the Combine. I’m glad the Green Bay scout was there and he got to see it.”

Bill Huber is publisher of PackerReport.com and has written for Packer Rep

Reaction Score
For an UFA, Tim Boyle is getting a lot of attention in Green Bay.

BOYLE: ‘I CAN'T WAIT TO JOIN ROGERS, PACKERS,OTHER QBs
Quarterback Tim Boyle took advantage of a fresh start and a strong pro day to land a spot with the Packers.
Bill Huber - 3 hours ago

Tim Boyle was hoping to be drafted, but his Saturday had a happy ending when the Eastern Kentucky quarterback agreed to a contract with the Green Bay Packers.
“I’m still with the team I wanted to go with, still signed a contract,” Boyle told Packer Report on Monday. “So, not disappointed. Just looking at this as I got a great opportunity from a great team.”

That opportunity got even better about a half-hour after the interview. That’s when the Packers released last year’s No. 3 quarterback, Joe Callahan. That makes it a four-man quarterback derby heading into the start of offseason practices, with Boyle joining Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley and recently acquired DeShone Kizer.

“Unbelievable. It’s a blessing, honestly,” Boyle said. “You always hear people talking about, ‘You surround yourself with people who make you better.’ Just the fact that I get to be around that group of quarterbacks, it’s going to be such a blessing for me as a player. Just to be around that knowledge and experience is going to help me as a player. I can’t wait to get in the room with them.”

Boyle is a native of Middlefield, Conn., and stayed home to play for Connecticut. He started four games as a freshman, three games as a sophomore and the final game of his junior season. Nothing went right. He completed just 48.4 percent of his passes with one touchdown and 13 interceptions.

Turmoil in the program stunted his development.

“The three years I was at UConn, I had three different head coaches, three different offensive coordinators, three different quarterback coaches,” Boyle said. “I wasn’t winning a whole lot of games. I wanted a clean slate, go somewhere where I could start fresh, get my confidence back a little bit.”

That clean slate was found at Eastern Kentucky, an FCS school.

He had to sit out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. The step back helped Boyle take a step forward. He hit the weight room and gained 10 pounds of quality weight. He joined the coaching staff for game-planning meetings. He gained a deeper insight into offensive concepts and how to attack defenses.

The results didn’t necessarily show on the field. He completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 2,134 yards with 11 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. The Colonels went 4-7. Nonetheless, he’s happy with how he grew during his two years in Richmond, Ky.

“I think it went well,” he said. “Our record didn’t symbolize how good of a team we were, nor my numbers. You put the tape on, I know where I’m going with the ball. The majority of my interceptions, I’m throwing a screen pass and it gets tipped and it lands in the guy’s arms. Or I get hit as I throw and it pops in the air and somebody catches it. There are only a certain amount of instances where interceptions were bonehead moves on my part from a decision-making standpoint.”

After the tepid numbers, a strong pro day helped him get on NFL radars. His 40-yard time of 4.75 seconds would have been third-best among the quarterbacks at the Scouting Combine and his 35.5-inch vertical jump would have been the best. Boyle took a predraft visit to Green Bay. He left hoping he’d return.

“The pro day was huge,” he said. “The biggest thing for me was to show teams that I’m athletic -- I’m a big body but I’m also athletic -- and that I can sling the ball around. I think I achieved both of those. I put up good numbers and I threw the ball pretty well, so I accomplished those things. Obviously, it was a huge day for me, just because I couldn’t go to the Combine. I’m glad the Green Bay scout was there and he got to see it.”

Bill Huber is publisher of PackerReport.com and has written for Packer Rep

I was going to post this. Thanks for posting. Shows what a quality young man Tim is. Never lost hope, never gave up.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are downright strange.

Praying together for his success?

Anti Xavier bias on this board?

LMAO.

Saying praying with a kid as a mentor figure is strange is perplexing. He went to a Christian High school. After he told me from his heart how hard he was working and how earnestly he wanted to do help UCONN win, I asked him if I could pray for him and with him. We bowed are heads and I said a short pray that God would give him strength for the journey. He thanked me for praying for him. I gave him a hug and we went our ways. I can understand to some that it may seem strange but for me faith in God is everything. I am a Giant fan but if you talk to the PHILADELPHIA Eagles players, you will say they are strange too!

Reaction Score
Saying praying with a kid as a mentor figure is strange is perplexing. He went to a Christian High school. After he told me from his heart how hard he was working and how earnestly he wanted to do help UCONN win, I asked him if I could pray for him and with him. We bowed are heads and I said a short pray that God would give him strength for the journey. He thanked me for praying for him. I gave him a hug and we went our ways. I can understand to some that it may seem strange but for me faith in God is everything. I am a Giant fan but if you talk to the PHILADELPHIA Eagles players, you will say they are strange too!

If I go any farther I’ll get banned.

God bless Carl.

Reaction Score
I’m rooting for Boyle because he is a CT kid (and as a Packers fan too).

But those on here lamenting his departure from UCONN: He was 4-7 at Eastern Kentucky with 11 tds and 13 interceptions. Don’t think he would be better than what we had last year.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I think loser of Hundley/Kizer matchup gets cut (odds are on Hundley getting cut). So if Tim can impress maybe he can land on practice squad.

Supporting article here:

2018 NFL Draft: Which undrafted free agents are best positioned to stick with the Packers?

Boyle needed to be brought along slowly. He came from a highly managed situation with great athletes and blockers up front. He had neither at UConn and was thrown into the fire to try to save a coach's job. Weaknesses? Yes. Development? No. Unless taking hits and running for your life counts. He's a big underdog playing catch-up and will need to improve recognition and decision making which he is aware of. Either way you have to give him credit for getting this far after the dumpster fire he landed in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom