Tilt site for donating $$ to send students to Bowl game | The Boneyard

Tilt site for donating $$ to send students to Bowl game

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
On edit - no students have shown an interest. I can refund donations or you can designate it to go to UConn and trust that UConn will use it to benefit the students.

~HN 12/16/15

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I started off the donations to the pool. We will figure how much it takes to buy the tickets and rooms through Ryan's group. Plane ticket won't be cheap but maybe there will be some flexibility with the winner. Take nominees to the judge panel? I nominate @businesslawyer anyone else?

Reaction Score
Also any leftover money should be donated to the athletic department.

Reaction Score
I started off the donations to the pool. We will figure how much it takes to buy the tickets and rooms through Ryan's group. Plane ticket won't be cheap but maybe there will be some flexibility with the winner. Take nominees to the judge panel? I nominate @businesslawyer anyone else?

Done and second the nomination of @businesslawyer

I also nominate @Jarhead_1775 to the judging panel.

At a minimum, the student candidate should submit a "statement" on why they are worthy. Creativity in submission should get bonus points over "I'm a UConn student and football fan and want to go and support the team".

Reaction Score
I am totally swamped from now through the 31st. I do not have time to be in charge of anything except my year end deals.

I will gladly contriute (planned to anyway) but I can't take responsibility for this. Sorry.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I second @Jarhead_1775 to judge this. Aaron has given selflessly to so many young Huskies, providing tickets to students and I can vouch for his character personally.

I'll make my donation as well. Wish I could join you in St. Pete, Jarhead, but somebody's gotta man the fort and protect the locals.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Done. Thanks Nan!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Shouldn't all the money go towards sending students to the bowl? We raised so much for the Fiesta Bowl, we just ended up splitting the funds among more people. I'd rather give the money to a deserving student than to the Athletic Department anyway. They get enough of my money.

Reaction Score
HuskyNan said:
Shouldn't all the money go towards sending students to the bowl? We raised so much for the Fiesta Bowl, we just ended up splitting the funds among more people. I'd rather give the money to a deserving student than to the Athletic Department anyway. They get enough of my money.
Yes I say absolutely spend a such on as many students as possible. I just meant any leftovers.. I suppose it could be beer money or something.

Reaction Score
So how about instead of judges we just post a poll... As long as we can make sure there's no vote early, vote often feature? Mods, is that doable?

Reaction Score
Last time people just responded in the thread with their vote. There could be a minimum post requirement to be eligible to cast a vote. I don't remember seeing any videos last time, basically just an essay on why they should be chosen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Democracy is a poor idea much of the time - pick three judges or so and be done with it.

Jarhead has already been nominated and he doesn't seem insane, so there's one. Nan is a normal human being in a lot of ways and she's already involved, so there's two.

Pick a third and start the races.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
So how about instead of judges we just post a poll... As long as we can make sure there's no vote early, vote often feature? Mods, is that doable?

Not really. The Boneyard's history of rigging online voting is legendary. I can set up a poll with no problem, but I have to believe there are a great number of people involved who are far smarter than I am. No online poll is tamper proof - it's actually pretty easy.

If you do go the judge route, it's probably best if they remain anonymous, but that's up to you and nan.

EDIT: I could set up a poll on a private board and you could allow one vote to anyone who donates. It would be somewhere between judging and an open poll free for all. Each vote could be anonymous, or not, depending on what y'all would want.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I tried to figure out how people can donate anonymously and can't find a way to disable the fact it lists the names. The directions say that after the first "handful" names are no longer listed. If you'd rather not test that and would like to contribute anonymously, shoot me a PM and I can put it in under my name.

If anyone's aware of a way to disable the name thing, please let me know.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They don't make it easy, but it's doable.

https://support.tilt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204530848-Can-I-make-an-anonymous-contribution-

I tried to figure out how people can donate anonymously and can't find a way to disable the fact it lists the names. The directions say that after the first "handful" names are no longer listed. If you'd rather not test that and would like to contribute anonymously, shoot me a PM and I can put it in under my name.

If anyone's aware of a way to disable the name thing, please let me know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I checked ticketmaster, and it looked like the prices were $65/$45 - not sure if those hold with the school.

Reaction Score
Not really. The Boneyard's history of rigging online voting is legendary. I can set up a poll with no problem, but I have to believe there are a great number of people involved who are far smarter than I am. No online poll is tamper proof - it's actually pretty easy.

If you do go the judge route, it's probably best if they remain anonymous, but that's up to you and nan.

EDIT: I could set up a poll on a private board and you could allow one vote to anyone who donates. It would be somewhere between judging and an open poll free for all. Each vote could be anonymous, or not, depending on what y'all would want.

Sounds like a plan to me. I'd rather not have the say over it as I know one of the students that will be competing and the conflict is obvious. That seems the most reasonable way to go. If you donate, you can vote. Any dissension?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Aside from Diaco, the team and Blue and White kid/man, is there anyone going to this game?

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a downer or anything but realistically you guys should gauge student interest before going too crazy collecting this year. If most of the boneyard isn't considering going due to the date/travel what makes you think the students will? I've been to every other bowl game but add me to the list that can't go this year. Terrible date for most, G6 opponent, and an expensive flight on a holiday required. I'd come up with some strict 'entry guidelines' surrounding the choosing of flight times etc to avoid any issues like last time.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a downer or anything but realistically you guys should gauge student interest before going too crazy collecting this year. If most of the boneyard isn't considering going due to the date/travel what makes you think the students will? I've been to every other bowl game but add me to the list that can't go this year. Terrible date for most, G6 opponent, and an expensive flight on a holiday required. I'd come up with some strict 'entry guidelines' surrounding the choosing of flight times etc to avoid any issues like last time.

I suspect many of us could make it work if cost was not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom