Three Takeaways – St. Joe's edition | The Boneyard

Three Takeaways – St. Joe's edition

Reaction Score
No. 1: Our recruiting class rankings over the past four years were 8th, 84th, 118th and 18th. Our two good classes out of that group – the 8th-ranked 2016 class and the 18th-ranked 2019 class – were decimated by injuries, transfers, suspensions and academic ineligibility.

In other words, this is what a team looks like when it has a lot of marginal upperclassmen and only a few true 4-stars, most of whom are freshmen or sophomores. They can't just go out there and win on talent, especially when they have a nightmare game in terms of execution.

Alterique's series of injuries over the past few years just devastated this program. If he'd stayed healthy and progressed as you'd expect of a top-25 ranked PG, he – and thus this team – would be so much different. But tonight was a great example of his low on-court knowhow born of too few reps.

Dude just murdered that second half run.

No. 2: Obviously the biggest problem with this team through two games is from-the-whistle intensity. Sacred Heart just pummeled us on the glass because they were more intense and active than us, and St. Joe's absolutely pounded the hell out of us in all aspects of the game for the first 11 minutes. They cared more and tried harder, and obviously they were lights out, but at some point our kids have got to get a hand on the ball, make a stop, or grab a tough rebound.

They might not have that in 'em at this point. Maybe they never will.

No. 3: Danny has to be faster and smarter about adjusting our defensive schemes. Obviously the press really worked, but for the first 15 minutes of the game we just let them walk it up, spread us out, get into their scheme and either rain fire from beyond the arc or just get to the rim. It was infuriating.

Would've been nice if Bouk had been available for this one.

Anyway, maybe this is a pummeling that'll do them some good ahead of the Florida game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Our senior backcourt is not one second smarter than they were four years ago.

Those were the worst 26 and 22 point performances that I can remember.

They’re not good players right now and they haven’t been good players - there is a reason why they’ve been present for some of the worst losses this program has ever had. Get better or take a seat.

Reaction Score
The 1st half of the past 2 games were atrocious. Tonight being the worst, these 2nd half has shown potential. Maybe we could play good the whole game that’d be cool

Reaction Score
If we play like we did in the second half for an entire game we are a Top 30 basketball team. That first half was one of the absolute worse halves of basketball I've seen in a long time.

The second half was certainly a surprise seeing we were told by many people after the first half we didn't have the talent to expect better vs St. Joe's.

Reaction Score

They’re not good players right now and they haven’t been good players - there is a reason why they’ve been present for some of the worst losses this program has ever had. Get better or take a seat.

Bingo ‘nuff said. On both ends mind you they’re both horrific defenders always losing their men.

Reaction Score
If we play like we did in the second half for an entire game we are a Top 30 basketball team. That first half was one of the absolute worse halves of basketball I've seen in a long time.
Yeah cause we only gave up 42 points the second half.

Reaction Score
Could have used a leader on the floor to settle us down and get us playing solid. Even if it meant getting into teammates faces (yelling or encouraging). This hurt us in the first half, and then returned when we made our comeback. Hopefully its an anomaly. Anyway, whoever our leader is, he was absent tonight.

Reaction Score
Looking back that BA “travel” that was the momentum killer. Coming off an Akok steal and dunk and then collecting a missed shot we needed at least 2 points on this possession. Instead this lead to a quick 4-0 run for St. Joes

Reaction Score
AG never was going to be the pg we thought he could be. He doesn't have court awareness nor the demeanor of our past guards. His missed layups didn't get above the rim.

CV just isn't a heady player.

Hurley wasn't good tonight and possibly missed judge the talent on thus team.

Polley is ghost until the game us out of reach. And wouldn't rebound if he was practicing rebounding by himself.

Wasn't a good matchup for Carlton but he set a poor tone with the opening airball bunny he had.

Sid wasn't a factor. When they went to zone what happen yo him flashing at the foul line, Hurley?

Fish Whaley play?

Gaffney, did you have game?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calm down. But I feel ya!!

Reaction Score
The Alterique injury stuff is way overplayed at this point. He's healthy now and has been in the program forever. I can think of a lot of point guards who had bad injuries and came back to be studs leading their teams, there just isn't any excuse for not being able to.lead better at this point. It would be easier to overlook something here or there if he was bringing other things to the table but he isn't bringing anything to the table right now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AG and CV had real bad game
JC was a total bonehead
Akok does not see the ball enough
Whalley shows a heart to play D
DH forgot how to coach tonight
If they practice rebounding "hard every day since the Sacred Heart game" I would hate to see what they would have done without practice

Reaction Score

How many boards did cv have? If you don’t score fgs how do you score? I remember rip and bazz having a bad night or two from the field and dropping 20 plus.... by getting to the line and playing aggressive.

Reaction Score
Even though vital had a horrible shooting game, he still stayed in attack mode getting to the line 14 times and grabbing boards 15 of them with some steals n block

Gilbert was bad all around now his stat line might be misleading but I didn’t see one floater from him , he just kept penetrating, trying to lay the ball up amongst the bigs with zero success , turning the ball over countless times 5 and just didn’t trust his teammates 2 assists really , hero ball is not going to cut it with this team ... Polley got hot second half and when the lead was cut to 4 or 5 we had two or three consecutive possessions where we didn’t even get him a touch then boom lead back to 10 game over

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom