Reaction Score
The amount of missed layups blew my mind. Can’t wait until Ollies guys are gone

Reaction Score
AG and CV had real bad game
JC was a total bonehead
Akok does not see the ball enough
Whalley shows a heart to play D
DH forgot how to coach tonight
If they practice rebounding "hard every day since the Sacred Heart game" I would hate to see what they would have done without practice
It's time to move on

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Our senior backcourt is not one second smarter than they were four years ago.
They score some on volume, but their shot selection, court awareness, game situational awareness, understanding of team play and defensive smarts are awful. Vital grabs rebounds, but that’s about it otherwise.

Start Gaffney and Adams. Couldn’t hurt.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How many boards did cv have? If you don’t score fgs how do you score? I remember rip and bazz having a bad night or two from the field and dropping 20 plus.... by getting to the line and playing aggressive.

Vital’s game is perfectly designed for losing teams.

He’s been here four years. He’s not fighting through a bad night, he’s a sixth or seventh man playing hero minutes for a bad team.

Twenty-one shots, two assists.

Reaction Score
Vital’s game is perfectly designed for losing teams.

He’s been here four years. He’s not fighting through a bad night, he’s a sixth or seventh man playing hero minutes for a bad team.

Twenty-one shots, two assists.

I’m curious how you categorize Vital having a better offensive rating than any guard since 2004 last year? Good luck? Bad competition?

Reaction Score
-AG was awful(and he’s my fave player) I don’t understand what’s going on with him these first two games- he’s actually regressing.
-Carlton was non factor but weird matchup for him. Still missing bunnies.
- Sid And Adams came back down to earth. ESP. Sid
-Why does Vital feel the need to come back down and jack up a three every time Daley put one in his eye? He made some poor decisions too
- Polley was pretty much non existent except for those two threes late. Dude still refuses to rebound. Had a big box out lapse late that resulted in st joes bucket
- akok gonna be good. He’s only one I have no beef with tonight
- Whaley was “eh”
- gaffney still hurt
- god we cudda used bouknight

Reaction Score
It seems AG has not adjusted to Div 1 ball. We've had a lot of small guards who made positive progression each year, including most recently Kemba, Boat and Bazz. However those 3 did not play their first 3 years with shortened seasons. Perhaps the injury did mess up or stunted AG's development, so much so that he has not caught up to Div 1 ball. His play is not much different than his first year and he certainly hasn't established a strength to separate himself from other guards. Kemba developed his jerkiness, Bazz his outside shot, and Boat's confidence was through the roof making him unguardable. Khalid, Marcus and others all got better. None of these players continued to go into the bigs without a plan, they all knew learned how to kick it out, or pull up for a deuce. Some even redirected their game to improve their defense. I now wonder how many steals does AG have? Anyway AG continues to go to the hole like he's playing against HS'ers.

I think this may be who AG is and will be. He is like an AA football player who never recovered from a devastating injury injuries. I really hope I'm wrong.

pj

Reaction Score
If we play like we did in the second half for an entire game we are a Top 30 basketball team. That first half was one of the absolute worse halves of basketball I've seen in a long time.

We won the second half 49-42 against one of the worst teams in D1 basketball. That's nowhere near Top 30 basketball. Maybe top 200. The first half was bottom 40.

Reaction Score
If we play like we did in the second half for an entire game we are a Top 30 basketball team. That first half was one of the absolute worse halves of basketball I've seen in a long time.
that may be a bit of a stretch, most teams will be better at handling a press

Reaction Score
No we aren’t.

Just my assessment....don't need you to agree with it but if we can pressure the ball and score like we did then we can be good. Of course that needs to translate against stronger opponents...but like I said, if we can play that way even against those opponents then more Ws than Ls are in our future.

Reaction Score
S&!tty metrics
His True Shooting %, which is one of the more renowned basketball metrics, was the highest for a UConn guard since they started keeping track in 2002. Is that also a bad metric?

Reaction Score
We won the second half 49-42 against one of the worst teams in D1 basketball. That's nowhere near Top 30 basketball. Maybe top 200. The first half was bottom 40.
You're missing the point...play like that, even against top teams for a whole game and you win. If you win both halves 49-42 regardless of the opponent you win the game.

Reaction Score
Nothing pleasant about tonight’s game except for Akoks play. Vital and Gilbert looked like they were playing a p/u game at the Y. We should beat a St Joes team.

But...I’ll take the bashing by saying maybe some people had expectations set to high for this team. This is the team that we have. There will be poor nights like tonight but there will also be a lot better games ahead played by this team and the better games will probably be lead by Vital and Gilbert.
Review the game tape,try and teach and adjust where the breakdowns occurred and get ready for Florida. That was only game 2 of 30+ games.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
His True Shooting %, which is one of the more renowned basketball metrics, was the highest for a UConn guard since they started keeping track in 2002. Is that also a bad metric?
Are you saying that Vital is the best guard UConn has had since 2002?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m curious how you categorize Vital having a better offensive rating than any guard since 2004 last year? Good luck? Bad competition?

Wad your offensive rating up.

Prolific player on a garbage team. There’s a reason we keep getting blown out with him on the floor...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We only played well for just under a quarter of this game.

It helps to play anything better than not shltty the other quarters. They count too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even though vital had a horrible shooting game, he still stayed in attack mode getting to the line 14 times and grabbing boards 15 of them with some steals n block

Gilbert was bad all around now his stat line might be misleading but I didn’t see one floater from him , he just kept penetrating, trying to lay the ball up amongst the bigs with zero success , turning the ball over countless times 5 and just didn’t trust his teammates 2 assists really , hero ball is not going to cut it with this team ... Polley got hot second half and when the lead was cut to 4 or 5 we had two or three consecutive possessions where we didn’t even get him a touch then boom lead back to 10 game over
Vital has always padded his stats after we fall from behind.
He’s about to go down in history as the only UConn player to not see a postseason since like the 80’s.

His stats mean nothing to me. I use the eye test.

I’m so sick of ppl on here defending him bc of his “heart”.

He’s delusional and he flexed his muscles after he scored on a fast break when we were down by 20. And that isn’t the first time he has done that.

He’s A-10 level talent and got schooled by superior A-10 level tonight.

Reaction Score
You guys love to point to his stats which he largely accrues while helping to lose us games. Here’s a stat: vital has never seen the postseason and prob never will. Yeah great player

Reaction Score
You guys love to point to his stats which he largely accrues while helping to lose us games. Here’s a stat: vital has never seen the postseason and prob never will. Yeah great player
And it’s to no fault of his own. He came in as the 5th best recruit in a 5 man class and was largely unheralded. He’s outperformed that ranking and then some. He’s been the best player of that class by far (though the argument for Vance Jackson could be made).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom