Three days in Chicago: Where should we stay? What should we do? What should we eat and drink? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Three days in Chicago: Where should we stay? What should we do? What should we eat and drink?

Reaction Score
That place intrigues me. Have you had the pig face, and is it cheeks or something else?
Speaking from San Diego, Cabeza is “head cheese” ie blend of head meat and fat; likely some cheek, especially if it’s pork. But, I think you’ll only see explicit “cheek” with beef; because I think cows are bigger and thus a lone cheek can be a “cut”. It should come braised or in thin medallions. I have never seen pure “cheek” at any Mexican place here but, as noted above, it’s not a lot of fancier/modern Mexican around here

Reaction Score
Speaking from San Diego, Cabeza is “head cheese” ie blend of head meat and fat; likely some cheek, especially if it’s pork. But, I think you’ll only see explicit “cheek” with beef; because I think cows are bigger and thus a lone cheek can be a “cut”. It should come braised or in thin medallions. I have never seen pure “cheek” at any Mexican place here but, as noted above, it’s not a lot of fancier/modern Mexican around here

Love a good head cheese terrine. Has the added benefit of repulsing my kids. But I think Storrsroars is something of a gourmand and is pretty well versed in that stuff.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Love a good head cheese terrine. Has the added benefit of repulsing my kids. But I think Storrsroars is something of a gourmand and is pretty well versed in that stuff.
I'll try almost anything, but "gourmand" sounds kind of fussy. That said, my screen saver is a calf's head entree I had at a 2-star Michelin place in Paris :D

1658351666497.png

As far as head cheese, I dated a girl from a Norwegian family for a couple of years. Her dad loved sylte. It was pretty gross.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Buddy Guy's legends. Find out if he is in town. If so he will most likely be there and play. If you buy his book he will sign it and take a pic with you.
I prefer Kingston mines, but legends is great too.

Reaction Score
@8893 as @QDOG5 mentioned you should check out the Riverwalk. Also the Fulton Market neighborhood (West Loop) which is the old meatpacking district is transformed. The Girl and the Goat and Publican are over there along with a bunch of other restaurants, coffee shops, and breweries. There's the Time Out Market, I haven't been but it's a food hall where a bunch of popular restaurants have stalls. The French Market is over there too, another food stall place. Green Street Meats is supposed to have really good BBQ and Au Cheval which has been rated the best burger in the country in the past.

Reaction Score
Check out the awesome houses in Lincoln park and then hit the zoo.

Also Northwestern in Evanston (right over Chicago border) is fantastic. There's also a great park right by the Lake for the kids to play. You can drive there or easily take the L

Forget Sears tower, The Aon Tower (formerly Amaco tower) right near Grant park is tremendous. Tours will give you a ride to the top 85thish floor. What a view.

If you need lunch or an early dinner the Berghoff restaurant on West Adams street is iconic (not real pricey).

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Love Chicago. Last time I went with the wife we had too much food and wine at Topo Gigio, stumbled over to 2nd City and laughed our faces off. Do that.

It’s been 5 years and I forgot the places I went, but that’s absolutely one of them. Awesome place in an awesome neighborhood.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After reading Adub's horror story I'm looking at this Chicago trip in a new light. Probably goes off without a hitch. I'm sure there will be ibuprofen (as I said that Target in the north Loop area is awesome...has everything, wine, beer, booze, toiletries, food).

Reaction Score
Was just there a month ago...

Mr. Beef in River North, best thing I ate! Amazing sandwiches, funny enough that show on Hulu The Bear seems to be based on it

Run along the river and jump in the lake on the north side it was awesome!

We went to Wrigley and Guaranteed Rate Field and unpopular opinion we had way more fun at the White Sox game. Fans were actually into the game, great seats, cheap food and beer. Wrigley was so packed nowhere to drink and watch the game really, tiny seats and stuff.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Buddy Guy's legends. Find out if he is in town. If so he will most likely be there and play. If you buy his book he will sign it and take a pic with you.
I've been to Legends twice, 10 years apart. I was even there when Buddy was there and he just sat and watched. It's fine but I think Black Eyed Sally's has better food.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mr. Beef was always solid
Apparently, the restaurant in the show "The Bear" is based on Mr. Beef, so we will probably check that out.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I loved The Bear. Already renewed for year two. Have a Chicago hot dog if you must but there is nothing special to it. Now, a Beef sandwich that's a whole different animal. My personal favorite is Johnnie's beef but it's in the west burbs so kinda out of your way. Al's or Mr Beef are just as good although Chicagoans are very particular about their beef joints. Wherever you have your beef they're going to ask you if you want it dipped. That means they take the sandwich bun and all and dip it in the beef au jus(referred to as juice). I wouldn't order it this way because it gets too messy. I would ask them to ladle some juice onto the the sandwich. You must order giardiniera(hot is better) and they may ask if you want sweet peppers or some other type of pepper. My favorite beef sandwich is a combo which is an Italian sausage and the beef in the sandwich together. Fantastic! But there will be a nap in your near future if you order that sandwich. I would suggest you also have a gyro while you're in town. Another favorite of mine.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
If you are trying to get into one of Stephanie Izzard's places, maybe there's a Boneyarder that went to Stamford High with her who has the special phone #?:cool:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you are trying to get into one of Stephanie Izzard's places, maybe there's a Boneyarder that went to Stamford High with her who has the special phone #?:cool:
I saw her husband was named Gary Valentine, who was the catcher for the Stamford Branch baseball team when I played. But a different dude.

I loved The Bear. Already renewed for year two. Have a Chicago hot dog if you must but there is nothing special to it. Now, a Beef sandwich that's a whole different animal.
You and SJ do realize that nobody really gets the ingredients right on a "Chicago dog" once outside Chicago, right? Not even the bun.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
@storrsroars I hope @8893 is going to have a Chicago dog. I like them and have them often enough. Btw, a true Chicago hot dog is always all beef. Vienna beef brand is probably the most popular hot dog. When I make them at home I prefer grilled over steamed(but I do steam the buns which are S. Rosen brand with poppy seeds) and then I go with the green relish, yellow mustard, onions, sport peppers, celery salt, sometimes the pickle spear but I never have the tomato wedges. I was just mentioning that I love a beef sandwich and want to make sure he doesn't miss out on that delicious treat.

Reaction Score
Apparently, the restaurant in the show "The Bear" is based on Mr. Beef, so we will probably check that out.
I used to go to Mr. Beef a lot and it was very good but haven't been in probably 15 years so can't vouch for it now. Johnnie's is the only place I get beefs. Their sandwiches are a little smaller so I always get two- a combo (beef with the smoked sausage link) and a beef both of them "juicy" dipped in the au jus with hot giardinera. The Turano french bread always hold up and the beef juice adds so much flavor to the sandwich.

If you're doing a dog you probably can't go wrong with Wiener's Circle. The place is a trip with the writings they have on the sign and the girls who swear at you. It's not for everyone and I haven't been in years but they always had really good char dogs with all the Chicago dog fixings. They do boiled too but the char dog is where it's at. The cheddar fries with the Merkt's cheddar were always really good as well but split them, it's a huge portion. They even have a bar now.

Don't remember buying a hot dog in years but the last place I used to get them at is Red Hot Ranch and they do depression era dogs, boiled Vienna beef with just mustard, green relish, onions and sport peppers. I stopped getting the dogs there because they make my favorite cheeseburger in the city. A smash burger with 2 thin house blend patties, American cheese, onions, lettuce, and special sauce. Really simple, half the price and I prefer it to the other pricier burger places.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
@8893 when are you coming to Chicago? Just being creepy :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893 when are you coming to Chicago? Just being creepy :)
Whoa, talk about coincidence: I literally just cancelled all our reservations and flights this morning because we need to postpone the trip, unfortunately. It was supposed to be next weekend.

BTW, you were right about Wrigley: they were still running tours, which we were planning to do.

Hoping to reschedule soon; we have a year to use the Avelo credit. I'll let you know when we do. Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom